Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 11/14/2017 12:26:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Rand Paul nailed it years ago:

Sen. Rand Paul on Consumer Choice in Energy Committee Hearing

The government has no fucking business dictating the poor performance/design of my home appliances.

I have a 25 year old Amana washer that's been a workhorse for me, but is now working toward failure.  I am not impressed with any of the choices out there now.  I just want a good, basic and effective washer.
Link Posted: 11/14/2017 12:26:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
People pack too many clothes in the washer.  The clothes need room to move and be agitated.  If the clothes dont have that room then no cleaning happens.  They just stew in warm water with the skidmarked underwear and jock straps.
View Quote
If folks would only learn how to use toilet paper properly...

There would be no need for deep-cleaning washing machines...
Link Posted: 11/14/2017 12:27:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Got a set of speed queens last year with our tax return. Couldn't be happier. Replaced Bosch HE front loaders that I felt were ticking time bombs.

We have a 6 month old and a 2.5 yr old and use cloth diapers, so we do a LOT of laundry. Used to take three wash cycles before the wife was happy with the diapers, now its done in two.
Link Posted: 11/14/2017 12:27:35 PM EDT
[#4]
I  have a Whirlpool set that was a wedding gift 24 years ago. Still going strong with a minor repair once in a while. They will have to turn to dust before I get rid of them.
Link Posted: 11/14/2017 12:34:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Buy once, cry once.......get a Pre Ban Speed Queen before it's too late.
View Quote
This!  

No shit - this is what you want to do.

I've got an HE with agitator that has the fill level bypass and still wish I went with the Speed Queen.

A load in heavy duty cycle takes a long time with the HE machine and is not cleaner than the 20 min. wash cycle of the old machines.

HE was either a shitty idea, a shitty execution of the idea, or BOTH!
Link Posted: 11/14/2017 12:34:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Wait until the Black Friday add come out. Head over to Sears and buy the dial knob top loader model with out all the bells and whistles. Most folks only use a couple of settings when they wash. Those washers and dryers have the most used cycles available. There is no need to spend $1,500 to $2,000 on a washer and dryer set when you can accomplish the same thing for $500 to $600. There is a lot of rassle and dassle in the appliance business. Keep you eye on he ball as to what you want to do which is wash your clothes.
Link Posted: 11/14/2017 12:35:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Mom and Dad have been "collecting" old school washing machines. My sister's MIL passed away and we got her washer. It has a double agitator and after I flipped the switch to use more water on rinse it's Mom's new favorite.
Link Posted: 11/14/2017 12:37:39 PM EDT
[#8]
get a top loader and you won't have problems.  Those front loaders suck balls.
Link Posted: 11/14/2017 12:43:21 PM EDT
[#9]
So it takes an hour. Who the hell sits around waiting on the washer. I have a GE front load that has been great. It cleans great.
Link Posted: 11/14/2017 12:54:13 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I bought the LG top load HE washer and electric dryer about a year ago. They've been awesome so far.
Wash takes longer than before but drying is much faster. The washer spins the load incredibly fast and gets a ton more water out of the clothes before they go into the dryer.
View Quote
I have the same combo. About a year old.

Washer works great, plenty of water. I do all of my clothes weekly in one load. Takes 40 min or less.

I tend to dry my clothes on low temp. Do sheets and towels a little hotter and they seem to take longer than they should. I think my issue is the dryer vent length/angle and the lack of a good seal to the exterior. I need to get around to working on that.
Link Posted: 11/14/2017 1:04:48 PM EDT
[#11]
We got a new top loader for $400 years ago from home depot.  Been a good machine.  EPA says use less water but runs longer on the power grid.  Well, our water is way cheaper than the power. If it uses twice the water of the current $1200-2000 machine BFD, the faster the cycle is complete the cheaper it is to use.  

My aunt has a set of those matching machines that the old home owner put up for sale. It took 2 hours to run a medium size load of clothes thru the washer and an hour to dry that load.  Both of the machines we have take about 20 to 30 min to wash and 30 to 45 to dry.
Link Posted: 11/14/2017 1:05:37 PM EDT
[#12]
We spent almost $1k on a high efficiency "intelligent" washer from a major manufacturer about a year ago and we hate that damn machine.  I kept telling my wife to get a traditional simple top load machine with agitator but she insisted on a modern machine.  You can't set the water level as the machine senses and automatically dispenses water to correct level.  I frequently find some work clothes get very little washing to the point that I can still smell the sweat on parts of the clothes.  It also takes 1 hour and 20 minutes to wash a load in "dirty" mode.  I had 2 factory tech come out and look and they both said it's functioning correctly...they also said they get complaints all the time.  I just run the machine twice for each load...which can take 3 hours.  I'm reaching the end of my patience with this washer and I have a lot of tannerite.
Link Posted: 11/14/2017 1:13:14 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted: I'm reaching the end of my patience with this washer and I have a lot of tannerite.
View Quote
This is exactly how I feel about all things HE.
Link Posted: 11/14/2017 1:21:02 PM EDT
[#14]
We got a new Samsung washer and dryer combo. The washing machine doesn't seem to do much. I'm not sure how much actual washing it does except for swishing around wet clothes in a circle.

The dryer on the other hand is absolutely badass. It has a "wrinkle free" mode and it hooks up to the hot water. 20 minutes and virtually all the wrinkles in the clothes are gone.
Link Posted: 11/14/2017 1:21:50 PM EDT
[#15]
I bought a Maytag HE front loader over ten years ago when it was rumored that Bosch made them.  Cleans fine, runs fine, no issues at all. 

It did get some funk and made towels smell bad for a while, but it corrected when I switched to Arm and Hammer detergent. 
Link Posted: 11/14/2017 1:37:27 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I haven't had any issues with my washer.  It's an LG, top loading, agitatorless HE deal.  Works great.
View Quote
Same here but mine is a Kenmore Elite. No issues.
Link Posted: 11/14/2017 1:44:42 PM EDT
[#17]
Our Top Load HE Kenmore Elite died after 10 years of basically non-stop usage, on well water at that. It was a good one and we would've bought another Kenmore if Sears future wasn't so bleak. Bought a new Maytag Top Load HE earlier this year and am perfectly happy with it too. Has an even better spin cycle than the Kenmore did which translates to less time for the dryer too.

I figured if we got over 7 years on well water with an HE then everything after that was gravy and yes the agitator-less HE washers can hold a crap ton of clothes but people still overload them LOL. Our Kenmore was salvageable BTW. It was a bearing or something under the drum but it was sold as an assembly that was several hundred dollars without labor. I figured it probably had some corrosion/crud build up with all of the minerals over a decade of use and probably didn't warrant the investment in repair. No HE top-loader hate here. Been a damn workhorse.
Link Posted: 11/14/2017 1:52:27 PM EDT
[#18]
kennmore elite here...no problems
front load too.

only had one gasket fail in 12-15 years we have had it.

matching dryer no issues...
Link Posted: 11/14/2017 1:59:39 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 11/14/2017 2:48:38 PM EDT
[#20]
I didn't realize we had this many women on the site.  I go home and my laundry is clean. To me, it's all magic.
Link Posted: 11/14/2017 2:58:33 PM EDT
[#21]
Buy once, cry once. Get the Speed Queens. Money well spent. All those HE washers make your clothes smell like piss.

In before "I don't smell like piss" You don't know you smell like piss because it takes time
Link Posted: 11/14/2017 3:02:09 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Maybe go find a used appliance place and talk to the guy there.  Either he can tell you how to fix/bypass the new water "allowance" feature or he just might have a good "old school" used one that'll last you years and years for $2-300.....
View Quote
That is exactly what I did. Get a good used one and run a gas dryer if at all possible.
Link Posted: 11/14/2017 3:11:13 PM EDT
[#23]
New or used, get a Speed Queen washer. They are reliable, quick,and spin clothes out so well they are almost dry when removed from the washer. No HE bullshit; they just work right. Get whatever dryer fits your budget.
Link Posted: 11/14/2017 3:13:16 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
People pack too many clothes in the washer.  The clothes need room to move and be agitated.  If the clothes dont have that room then no cleaning happens.  They just stew in warm water with the skidmarked underwear and jock straps.
View Quote
If your underwear has skid marks then you are not using proper hygiene to clean your ass. There is zero reason an adult should have a skid mark in their underwear.
Link Posted: 11/14/2017 3:14:37 PM EDT
[#25]
I would consider Speed Queen, but all their washers seem to be very small compared to what's at the box stores, unless you're buying a commercial model.  I like large capacity.
Link Posted: 11/14/2017 3:15:54 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

If your underwear has skid marks then you are not using proper hygiene to clean your ass. There is zero reason an adult should have a skid mark in their underwear.
View Quote
Guess you've never been forced to use the cheap paper in public restrooms.
Link Posted: 11/14/2017 3:17:27 PM EDT
[#27]
All our front loaders get the nasty rotten odor and take forever to finish the cycle... doesnt matter what you clean it with.

We switched back old school Maytag top loader non-HE.  Fuck all that electronic shit.

Pro-tip:

Don't use fabric softener.  Use regular Vinegar.  Works better and 1000% cheaper.
Link Posted: 11/14/2017 3:20:06 PM EDT
[#28]
Mrs Rabinowitz already had LG front loading washer and drier.  I'd always used a top loading washer.

Won't go back.  After about 10 years, they do a great job.  Don't care how long it takes.  I never sit around waiting on them.

HINT:  If you have a front loading washer, adjust the feet so that it is slightly higher in the front than the back.  This will allow water around the front seal to drain out rather than stick around and grow mold which is a common complaint with this style.

We always leave the washer open when not in use to further dry it out.  The Dryer has to be closed as it has a light that stays on unless closed.
Link Posted: 11/14/2017 3:30:23 PM EDT
[#29]
We bought a new washer a couple of months ago. I was planning to buy the cheapest Speed Queen, but in the end I didn't see any reason to spend 900 when I could get a higher capacity top loading Maytag with agitator on sale at Lowe's for 450. It seems to be a good unit.

I think this is the one we have. It's even cheaper now. I wanted the highest capacity top loader that still had an agitator and control knobs, and this is what I found. Seems to be popular as well because it was hard to find one in stock. We did have an issue shortly after purchase where water would drip into the tub when the machine was off, but I called Maytag customer service, spoke to a nice American lady, and she sent a repairman to my house who replaced a valve that had not seated properly. Been fine since.

Maytag washer
Link Posted: 11/14/2017 3:32:48 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Find one on Craigslist.

People are moving or renovating all the time. They are selling perfectly good units.

I bought a washer and dryer set for $300 last time.
View Quote
This^

If I were you, I would look for a whirlpool direct drive with traditional agitator.
Whirlpool makes most machines sold as "Kenmore", model number should start with "110".
Parts are cheap and the machines are durable and VERY easy to work on.
I bought a very gently used older Whirlpool extra capacity, rebadged as Kenmore for $100 on Craigslist.

It just needed cam dogs ($6), 5 minute install.
Couldn't be happier.
Link Posted: 11/14/2017 3:41:37 PM EDT
[#31]
I find it amazing that we have to buy and rebuild old Preban washing machines.    

It's insane.
Link Posted: 11/14/2017 3:48:53 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I have been shopping for a new top loading washer and dryer.  Lowe's is having a sale and has 18 months with 0% interest so it seems like a good time to buy.  I have never seen such divided reviews.  People either love a washer or they hate it.  So many 1 star reviews it's not funny.  It's not just one or two machines/brands, it's all of them.  Similar story from across the web.   Apparently these new machines use so little they don't even get all the clothes wet during wash cycles.  How is that cleaning anything?  

I really don't have the money to spend $1000 on an old school Speed Queen but I don't want to piss away $500 on a washer that won't even get my clothes clean and breaks as soon as the warranty is up either.  Is this just people not understanding how the new HE machines without agitator work and not knowing how to use them or are the complaints legimate?  Do any of these new agitator free machines work well enough to actually spend the money on?

Thanks Obama!
View Quote

Yes.  A small part of the country has water shortages, so everyone must suffer.  It's the Commie way.  

FWIW, we bought a new Speed Queen a year ago.  It gets clothes clean, but capacity is less than the one it replaced.  I think it was about $900.  

A person on a tight budget is probably better off buying a good high-capacity used machine with a stainless drum.
Link Posted: 11/14/2017 3:50:22 PM EDT
[#33]
We just went through this. Our ancient (28 year old) Crosley finally bit the dust and we replaced it with a low-end Amana top loader (cost about 299). It got better reviews than most of the higher priced ones.
I agree , everyone seems to utterly loathe their washing machines these days .

So far so good.  I dont love it but at least its MUCH quieter than the old machine .  It has a deep wash option where you can force it to put more water in , and its an agitator not an impeller so the clothes seemed to come out pretty clean.
I'm only 2 loads in yet so obviously may still run into stuff. But for now it is ok.   A normal load on all the average settings takes about 25 minutes to finish. Extra rinse added an extra 5-10 minutes.

We made up our minds that if this dies we will bite the bullet and buy a Speed Queen and that will be that for probably the rest of our lives.

CG
Link Posted: 11/14/2017 3:50:39 PM EDT
[#34]
We get the cheap assed washers that have the mechanical timer knob.  They last about 10 years and probably could still be fixed but the wife wants something new.  The timer switches are stupid easy to replace.
Link Posted: 11/14/2017 3:51:53 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

So many 1 star reviews it's not funny.  It's not just one or two machines/brands, it's all of them.  

Is this just people not understanding
View Quote

The internet is full of 1 star reviews from morons who don't know how to read directions.
Link Posted: 11/14/2017 3:55:01 PM EDT
[#36]
We have a Maytag HE pair. My first impression was just "meh". Then I jumped on the STPP band wagon.
My clothes have never been cleaner.
Link Posted: 11/14/2017 4:05:36 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Buy once, cry once.......get a Pre Ban Speed Queen before it's too late.
View Quote
Yep.  The HE machines don't clean clothes like a Speed Queen.  We spent 5 or 6 hundred on the last POS that didn't even last 5 years and actually was down for a few weeks when we first bought it.  We bought a SQ a couple of months ago and my wife loves it.
Link Posted: 11/14/2017 4:07:38 PM EDT
[#38]
No complaints about our HE Kenmore. It does a good job of cleaning clothes. I was a big skeptic.
Link Posted: 11/14/2017 4:09:21 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

The internet is full of 1 star reviews from morons who don't know how to read directions.
View Quote
There is always this.  Sometimes they are helpful and explain what their problem was so I can see that it's a stupid user error and discard the review.
Link Posted: 11/14/2017 4:28:43 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I have been shopping for a new top loading washer and dryer.  Lowe's is having a sale and has 18 months with 0% interest so it seems like a good time to buy.  I have never seen such divided reviews.  People either love a washer or they hate it.  So many 1 star reviews it's not funny.  It's not just one or two machines/brands, it's all of them.  Similar story from across the web.   Apparently these new machines use so little they don't even get all the clothes wet during wash cycles.  How is that cleaning anything?  

I really don't have the money to spend $1000 on an old school Speed Queen but I don't want to piss away $500 on a washer that won't even get my clothes clean and breaks as soon as the warranty is up either.  Is this just people not understanding how the new HE machines without agitator work and not knowing how to use them or are the complaints legimate?  Do any of these new agitator free machines work well enough to actually spend the money on?

Thanks Obama!
View Quote

So you suspect Obama and the EPA conspired to piss you off about cheap washing machines?  

Yeah - fuck you EPA!!!  What happened to the good ole days when I could just pour my used motor oil down the drain and factories could spew their waste water into the nearest stream - so what if people drink from it... the EPA is such a waste
Link Posted: 11/14/2017 4:41:12 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Thanks Obama!
View Quote

I spent about $500 at Lowes on a new washer. Now, if I pick up a dirty arrowhead and put it in my pants pocket, that same pocket will have dirt in it the next 3 times I wear the pants. I fucking hate my washing machine.
Link Posted: 11/14/2017 5:36:14 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

So you suspect Obama and the EPA conspired to piss you off about cheap washing machines?  

Yeah - fuck you EPA!!!  What happened to the good ole days when I could just pour my used motor oil down the drain and factories could spew their waste water into the nearest stream - so what if people drink from it... the EPA is such a waste
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks Obama!

I never said the EPA was a waste.  I also don't think anyone should intentionally pollute our planet.  But the government meddling more often than not does tend to screw things up, ethanol and CF bulbs are the two things that immediately come to mind.  I just want to get a product that fits my budget and actually works, if it's better for the environment that is fantastic.  Thank you for your insight and help in my choice of a new washer, now kindly piss off.
Link Posted: 11/14/2017 5:57:35 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I would consider Speed Queen, but all their washers seem to be very small compared to what's at the box stores, unless you're buying a commercial model.  I like large capacity.
View Quote
Yes, 25% less (claimed) capacity than most others is one big sticking point on ponying up the dough for Speed Queen.  I like the idea of using less water to wash my clothes, if it actually works.
Link Posted: 11/14/2017 6:04:08 PM EDT
[#44]
I use a speed queen set always been happy with old style washing machines with mechanical controls.
Link Posted: 11/14/2017 6:06:17 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
After 2K+ on POS HE washers that spend more time broken then working I went Speed Queen. Mod AWNE82SP113TW01 $800 or so an 0% for 12 months. It also has the longest warranty I could find.

The washer before this one was a Maytag Centennial that broke the first week an took three months to fix. Broke five more times under warranty an two times after (I fixed it thanks to Youtube). Then the trans died at 3YO. It's in the field waiting to be shot after deer season. Hey, the kids need some fun

One before that was a GE that broke twice under warranty then died at 4 YO.

Go Speed Queen or go home.
View Quote
Almost exact situation for us.
Link Posted: 11/14/2017 6:07:59 PM EDT
[#46]
You can adjust the water fill level on most of them with a screw, its an easy adjustment  Takes like 5 minutes.
Speed Queen Water Level Adjustment
Speed queen Clothes Washer water level problem and how to fix it
Link Posted: 11/14/2017 6:12:21 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
We spent almost $1k on a high efficiency "intelligent" washer from a major manufacturer about a year ago and we hate that damn machine.  I kept telling my wife to get a traditional simple top load machine with agitator but she insisted on a modern machine.  You can't set the water level as the machine senses and automatically dispenses water to correct level.  I frequently find some work clothes get very little washing to the point that I can still smell the sweat on parts of the clothes.  It also takes 1 hour and 20 minutes to wash a load in "dirty" mode.  I had 2 factory tech come out and look and they both said it's functioning correctly...they also said they get complaints all the time.  I just run the machine twice for each load...which can take 3 hours.  I'm reaching the end of my patience with this washer and I have a lot of tannerite.
View Quote
It'll be a bitter irony indeed, when that automatic water sensor ejects at 780fps, and smites you stone dead where you stand.    
Link Posted: 11/14/2017 6:12:41 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
We picked up a Samsung HE front-loading set around 6 years ago.  The only maintenance has been a new heating element for the dryer ($20 from Amazon, and about 30 minutes of work).  So far so good.
View Quote
Your spider arm is snickering at you.

Just replaced mine at 7 years.  Can't believe it was still spinning after seeing the degradation of the arms.
Link Posted: 11/14/2017 10:02:41 PM EDT
[#49]
I bought this one two years ago and like it:
https://www.lowes.com/pd/GE-4-2-cu-ft-High-Efficiency-Top-Load-Washer-White/999922464

It's top load, you can put a king sized comforter in it, and hubby gets really dirty/grubby working on guns, cars, engines, etc. and it does a good job.

The biggest complaint people have with it is that it is NOISY - which it is - but it works.
Link Posted: 11/14/2017 10:05:20 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
I went HE about 5yrs ago. No complaints.
View Quote
This.  Both my parents, myself, and my g/f all have HE washers.  No problems amongst the 3 of them.
Page / 3
Top Top