Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 11/14/2017 10:43:11 AM EDT
I have been shopping for a new top loading washer and dryer.  Lowe's is having a sale and has 18 months with 0% interest so it seems like a good time to buy.  I have never seen such divided reviews.  People either love a washer or they hate it.  So many 1 star reviews it's not funny.  It's not just one or two machines/brands, it's all of them.  Similar story from across the web.   Apparently these new machines use so little they don't even get all the clothes wet during wash cycles.  How is that cleaning anything?  

I really don't have the money to spend $1000 on an old school Speed Queen but I don't want to piss away $500 on a washer that won't even get my clothes clean and breaks as soon as the warranty is up either.  Is this just people not understanding how the new HE machines without agitator work and not knowing how to use them or are the complaints legimate?  Do any of these new agitator free machines work well enough to actually spend the money on?

Thanks Obama!
Link Posted: 11/14/2017 10:52:46 AM EDT
[#1]
I went HE about 5yrs ago. No complaints.
Link Posted: 11/14/2017 10:52:50 AM EDT
[#2]
They may have gotten worse, but the energy star tax credits for the manufacturer ruined washing machines long before Obama. Combined with phosphate free detergent, they are worse than useless.
Link Posted: 11/14/2017 10:53:51 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I have been shopping for a new top loading washer and dryer.  Lowe's is having a sale and has 18 months with 0% interest so it seems like a good time to buy.  I have never seen such divided reviews.  People either love a washer or they hate it.  So many 1 star reviews it's not funny.  It's not just one or two machines/brands, it's all of them.  Similar story from across the web.   Apparently these new machines use so little they don't even get all the clothes wet during wash cycles.  How is that cleaning anything?  

I really don't have the money to spend $1000 on an old school Speed Queen but I don't want to piss away $500 on a washer that won't even get my clothes clean and breaks as soon as the warranty is up either.  Is this just people not understanding how the new HE machines without agitator work and not knowing how to use them or are the complaints legimate?  Do any of these new agitator free machines work well enough to actually spend the money on?

Thanks Obama!
View Quote

I "fixed" ours. Pulled 2 screws off the cover and adjusted the regulator that controls fill level. I have a thread here from a couple years back. Works great, fills to just before the glass in the door, washes great now.

If you're not into tweaking the regulator, there's a top load conventional model with mechanical controls people recommend here a lot, IDK what the make of model is but someone will link it.
Link Posted: 11/14/2017 10:55:42 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I went HE about 5yrs ago. No complaints.
View Quote
Which brand do you have and have you had to make any repairs?
Link Posted: 11/14/2017 10:58:00 AM EDT
[#5]
we just got a new washer with "auto sense water level" it takes about an hour to wash 1 load.
it has a setting for "deep water wash" but it still takes forever to wash a load.
I'm not impressed with it
Link Posted: 11/14/2017 11:00:11 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Which brand do you have and have you had to make any repairs?
View Quote
LG. Washer & gas dryer.

Haven't put a penny into them.

General maintenance is a matter of frequently cleaning the seal liner & periodically draining the filter, remove it & rinse then put it back together.
Link Posted: 11/14/2017 11:01:35 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 11/14/2017 11:02:33 AM EDT
[#8]
I haven't had any issues with my washer.  It's an LG, top loading, agitatorless HE deal.  Works great.
Link Posted: 11/14/2017 11:03:12 AM EDT
[#9]
People pack too many clothes in the washer.  The clothes need room to move and be agitated.  If the clothes dont have that room then no cleaning happens.  They just stew in warm water with the skidmarked underwear and jock straps.
Link Posted: 11/14/2017 11:03:51 AM EDT
[#10]
Maybe go find a used appliance place and talk to the guy there.  Either he can tell you how to fix/bypass the new water "allowance" feature or he just might have a good "old school" used one that'll last you years and years for $2-300.....
Link Posted: 11/14/2017 11:04:01 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 11/14/2017 11:05:12 AM EDT
[#12]
LG here too, zero complaints.
Link Posted: 11/14/2017 11:06:01 AM EDT
[#13]
We had a LG front loader for 10 years before it really broke.
We replaced it with another LG this year.

BTW. The main motors along with the drum can be converted to a water wheel to generate electricity for house or camp. Didnt find that out until I got rid of the old one.

Can always get one from a scrap unit.

BTW. The make one of those motors for washer or dryers at a rate of one every 30 seconds.
Link Posted: 11/14/2017 11:06:48 AM EDT
[#14]
We went HE a couple of years ago when our washer needed replacement. I hate the fucker. It takes an hour to wash a load, and I sometimes wonder how good a job it's doing.

I'd like to have our old agitator machine back, even if it does use more water.
Link Posted: 11/14/2017 11:09:19 AM EDT
[#15]
I have a "MyCycle" setting saved on my POS GE, and always just use that as default. It includes prewash, extra rinse, extra heavy soil level, and I have to fill both the regular and prewash cups with detergent. Anything less and clothes don't get clean, even with a small load.

I haven't had more than a $42 water bill but I'll gladly pay extra for a damn washer that actually washes clothes.
Link Posted: 11/14/2017 11:12:45 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
We went HE a couple of years ago when our washer needed replacement. I hate the fucker. It takes an hour to wash a load, and I sometimes wonder how good a job it's doing.

I'd like to have our old agitator machine back, even if it does use more water.
View Quote
I don't know if my experience is typical, but old style washer dryer, it took 30 minutes to wash and an hour to dry.  

HE washer and dryer, it takes an hour to wash and half an hour to dry.

So, it's kind of a wash.
Link Posted: 11/14/2017 11:13:30 AM EDT
[#17]
We picked up a Samsung HE front-loading set around 6 years ago.  The only maintenance has been a new heating element for the dryer ($20 from Amazon, and about 30 minutes of work).  So far so good.
Link Posted: 11/14/2017 11:13:31 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
we just got a new washer with "auto sense water level" it takes about an hour to wash 1 load.
it has a setting for "deep water wash" but it still takes forever to wash a load.
I'm not impressed with it
View Quote
Ours used to be the same. Salesman suckered us with short was/dry times. Well yeah, if you're clothes aren't muddy or really dirty, then you're gonna wash them twice.

I adjusted the regulator that controls water level and fixed it. Now the water is just below the glass, before it was just touching the drum. I got greedy and had it about 1/8-1/4 up the glass, but I could smell the motor getting hot so I had to back it down a little.

We can use the 15 or 20 minute "quick wash" now for everything. That's how it should have worked from the factory.
Link Posted: 11/14/2017 11:13:40 AM EDT
[#19]
Buy once, cry once.......get a Pre Ban Speed Queen before it's too late.
Link Posted: 11/14/2017 11:14:21 AM EDT
[#20]
are the clothes not getting wet or is the spin cycle doing a really good job drying them?

All washers soak all the clothing in a bath of water.  it doesn't just spray some water on it and call it done.  But i have noticed newer machines will wring out water much better and the clothing is about as dry as it can be with a spin cycle.  Which is good. Less work for the EPA screwed dryers that don't work well.  
Link Posted: 11/14/2017 11:14:31 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
It sounds like the "problem" is with the higher end fancy machines. Us poor folk buy the cheap, less energy efficient models to get our work clothes clean.
View Quote
I'm looking in the $400 to $600 range which seems pretty low end to me as far as washers go.  I've even started looking into front loaders now and they have many of the same complaints, not enough water, cycles take too long, etc.   What's the point of not using more water than it takes to flush the toilet if it consumes twice the power to do it?
Link Posted: 11/14/2017 11:16:11 AM EDT
[#22]
Our LG front loader takes an hour to do a load of laundry.  The good news is that I can fit every single piece of clothing I own in it.
Link Posted: 11/14/2017 11:19:08 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
LG here too, zero complaints.
View Quote
Link Posted: 11/14/2017 11:19:45 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
are the clothes not getting wet or is the spin cycle doing a really good job drying them?

All washers soak all the clothing in a bath of water.  it doesn't just spray some water on it and call it done.  But i have noticed newer machines will wring out water much better and the clothing is about as dry as it can be with a spin cycle.  Which is good. Less work for the EPA screwed dryers that don't work well.  
View Quote
I have seen several reviews where people are saying there are still dry patches on their clothes after the wash cycle but before the rinse cycle.  Maybe it's like Samiam says and people are simply filling them too full, IDK.
Link Posted: 11/14/2017 11:26:01 AM EDT
[#25]
Maytag has some pretty good HE washers.  GE's washers are all crap.

I know everyone's in love with Speed Queens, but F&P make a pretty nice non-HE washer:

https://www.fisherpaykel.com/us/laundry/washing-machines/washing-machine/washsmart-22lb-steel-lid.WA3927G1.html

One of the nice thing about Lowe's is the return policy.  Around 10 years ago, I bought an HE GE washer there, and found out that it sucked.  I went to the store and talked to them, and they pointed me toward a Maytag.  They refunded the cost of the GE washer, and sent a truck to pick it up and deliver the Maytag.  That Maytag has been working for me every since, and I've never had a complaint.  My other washer (Hey, I got kids), which is the F&P I linked above, also came from Lowe's.
Link Posted: 11/14/2017 11:26:39 AM EDT
[#26]
Many people "upgrade" just to have the latest and greatest things and there are repair shops that clean up and refurbish the machines they trade in. If you can find one of these shops, you can get quality old-school appliances at bargain prices. Start asking around your AO to find these shops. Try the independent appliance dealers first.

Incidentally, Speed Queen is allegedly discontinuing their mechanical control washers and dryers at the end of this model year. This has been hinted at for the past couple of years, so we upgraded last year. We gave our 15 year-old Kenmore pair to our daughter. When my wife and I are gone, she gets the Speed Queens.

ETA: Our Speed Queen takes about 30 minutes to wash and the dryer about the same amount of time to dry.
Link Posted: 11/14/2017 11:26:50 AM EDT
[#27]
We've got a Samsung HE washer (not sure the model, it has the hand wash basin in the top) and it does take a little longer to wash a load but it gets them just as clean and my previous non HE Whirlpool did. I'm happy with it.
Link Posted: 11/14/2017 11:29:58 AM EDT
[#28]
Bought at Lowes - Whirlpool 6 years, satisfied w/no issues, knock on wood.
Link Posted: 11/14/2017 11:32:00 AM EDT
[#29]
Don't use the stupid ass pods, they take too long to dissolve vs the fast wash cycle time so they release the detergent during the rinse cycle, don't take anything off, then it gets baked into the clothes in the dryer. Use liquid detergent, drop clothes in to fill the drum 2/3 full (don't stuff them in), select the presoak & extra spray options, and your clothes will come out clean.

Kharn
Link Posted: 11/14/2017 11:34:01 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

LG. Washer & gas dryer.

General maintenance is a matter of frequently cleaning the seal liner & periodically draining the filter, remove it & rinse then put it back together.
View Quote
I bought the LG top load HE washer and electric dryer about a year ago. They've been awesome so far.
Wash takes longer than before but drying is much faster. The washer spins the load incredibly fast and gets a ton more water out of the clothes before they go into the dryer.
Link Posted: 11/14/2017 11:38:05 AM EDT
[#31]
Speed queen gets around the problem by having a "heavy duty" mode that allows it to fill all the way up, use truly warm water, and does a full water replacement on the rinse cycle.  If you use the normal wash mode it doesn't do those things, and it basically washes with cool water.

Most other brands I read about in my research didn't have the ability to bypass epa bullshit with the push of a button, so we bought Speed Queen.  We've been very happy.
Link Posted: 11/14/2017 11:40:31 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 11/14/2017 11:41:06 AM EDT
[#33]
I went through 4 sets of washer and dryer, returning 2 brand new sets, before we settled on a used old school set. The new ones dont use any water compared to omd school. Check the gallons per cycle for new onces even if they have an agitator because they still use less water. I tjink you have to go pre 2012 for a good set. Fuck the EPA for messing up washers and dryers. Don't get me started on hot water heaters, mattresses, food, ethanol, airborne mosquito spraying, drive by mosquito spraying, or infant sleepwear.
Link Posted: 11/14/2017 11:41:56 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I bought the LG HE washer and electric dryer about a year ago. They've been awesome so far.
Wash takes longer than before but drying is much faster. The washer spins the load incredibly fast and gets a ton more water out of the clothes before they go into the dryer.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

LG. Washer & gas dryer.

I bought the LG HE washer and electric dryer about a year ago. They've been awesome so far.
Majority of our loads are around 45min. When I do whites & undies I use the sanitary wash. It takes about 1:15 but they come out very white. Towels come out so much dryer for sure. Dry time on my NG dryer ranges from 25-35min.

Only thing I have had to do to the dryer is remove the front filter housing & clean the lint out of the front of the dryer.

I'd recommend doing that about every two years.
Link Posted: 11/14/2017 11:42:43 AM EDT
[#35]
My grandmother died about 15 years ago and I ended up taking her washer. It's a mid 80s model Kenmore. My wife loves it.

Look around for one similar at yard sales.
Link Posted: 11/14/2017 11:42:51 AM EDT
[#36]
We have a Maytag that we got from Lowes about a year ago.

It has been fine.  The clothes come out fine.  It does take longer than the old one though.
Link Posted: 11/14/2017 11:47:23 AM EDT
[#37]
I went with an LG he front loader and matching dryer 3 years ago when the old 80's washer finally died.  I just don't get the hate.  It washes my clothes better than the older machine and while it isn't as fast, the spin cycle gets a lot more water out which helps the dryer donuts thing faster.  There is a trick or two to the new stuff, but I have been really happy thus far.  I did steer clear of ge and Samsung as they seem to be problematic about the time we were looking for new machines.
Link Posted: 11/14/2017 11:52:02 AM EDT
[#38]
We've had a Whirlpool Cabrio washer for about 5 years now.  No agitator and huge capacity.  I rarely fill it more than 2/3 to 3/4 full, so there is room for things to move around.  It's been great, although it does take longer to wash a load.  We just replaced the old dryer with a Cabrio dryer last week.  It has a much larger drum, and I was amazed at how quickly it dries clothes.  And lint comes off the lint screen so easily, it's like magic.
Link Posted: 11/14/2017 11:53:11 AM EDT
[#39]
Find one on Craigslist.

People are moving or renovating all the time. They are selling perfectly good units.

I bought a washer and dryer set for $300 last time.
Link Posted: 11/14/2017 12:00:29 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Maytag has some pretty good HE washers.  GE's washers are all crap.

I know everyone's in love with Speed Queens, but F&P make a pretty nice non-HE washer:

https://www.fisherpaykel.com/us/laundry/washing-machines/washing-machine/washsmart-22lb-steel-lid.WA3927G1.html

One of the nice thing about Lowe's is the return policy.  Around 10 years ago, I bought an HE GE washer there, and found out that it sucked.  I went to the store and talked to them, and they pointed me toward a Maytag.  They refunded the cost of the GE washer, and sent a truck to pick it up and deliver the Maytag.  That Maytag has been working for me every since, and I've never had a complaint.  My other washer (Hey, I got kids), which is the F&P I linked above, also came from Lowe's.
View Quote

Bought one of these ~10 years ago from advise on this site.
Worked great, lost it with the house in the divorce.

Some had issues with the circuit board, but mine was after that was fixed.

Automatic mode seemed to be best, but manual override had any option you could want.
And spin dry was awesome - summertime, no drying needed, just wash and wear.!!!!!

I heard the original company was sold, don't know the story.
Link Posted: 11/14/2017 12:01:57 PM EDT
[#41]
We replaced our Maytag pos with speed queen low end unit  this summer for 800 + tax.  
I made a decision based on reliability reviews and no one can even remember how old my in-law’s speed queen set is, now used by the 2nd generation.
Link Posted: 11/14/2017 12:04:33 PM EDT
[#42]
After 2K+ on POS HE washers that spend more time broken then working I went Speed Queen. Mod AWNE82SP113TW01 $800 or so an 0% for 12 months. It also has the longest warranty I could find.

The washer before this one was a Maytag Centennial that broke the first week an took three months to fix. Broke five more times under warranty an two times after (I fixed it thanks to Youtube). Then the trans died at 3YO. It's in the field waiting to be shot after deer season. Hey, the kids need some fun

One before that was a GE that broke twice under warranty then died at 4 YO.

Go Speed Queen or go home.
Link Posted: 11/14/2017 12:08:03 PM EDT
[#43]
If you were going to be in GA you could have my old one.  Electrolux top model.  Works fine but we went with a Speed Queen so it's just sitting in the basement.  PM if interested.
Link Posted: 11/14/2017 12:08:43 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
My grandmother died about 15 years ago and I ended up taking her washer. It's a mid 80s model Kenmore. My wife loves it.

Look around for one similar at yard sales.
View Quote
That's what we're using now but it's finally dying. My mom is still using the exact same model.  
Link Posted: 11/14/2017 12:10:14 PM EDT
[#45]
I've been getting by just fine with the cheap Roper set at Lowes.  A little over $500 for the pair.  Clothes are clean and it's still running about five years later.  It does take about an hour for it to wash.
Link Posted: 11/14/2017 12:10:25 PM EDT
[#46]
Had two HEs in 14 years, love them. No repairs.
Link Posted: 11/14/2017 12:16:13 PM EDT
[#47]
We bought an LG set a couple of years ago and haven't done a thing but use them and they work well.
Link Posted: 11/14/2017 12:20:51 PM EDT
[#48]
No complaints with my HE front loaders (Kenmore branded LGs). Our clothes always come out clean. I'm on well and septic so I'm happy with reduced water usage.
Link Posted: 11/14/2017 12:21:04 PM EDT
[#49]
Did anybody mention Speed Queen?

Seriously though, Speed Queen.

I bought one about a year ago and it works great.
Link Posted: 11/14/2017 12:22:21 PM EDT
[#50]
We have a Maytag Maxima front load with steam cycle. The thing get's beat like a rented mule and keeps on going. Does great job on clothes if you set it to a longer cycle than normal.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top