Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 6
Link Posted: 9/7/2009 2:58:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
contact the sheriff and file a complaint about the officers remarks. See where that takes you.

This.

Sheriff's are elected officials.  Make him/her sweat.
Link Posted: 9/7/2009 2:59:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Get a supressor

.....for your shotgun

physically file a complaint...

They DO exist.

Hell yes they exist, and they are not NFA because they are not a normal suppressor just a 32" barrel extension that screws into your choke tube.

I have one, it is called the Metro Barrel by Hastings.  The Metro barrel was built to shoot geese in more populated areas.  
The Metro Barrel makes your shotgun look like something Jed Clampett would own, but the Metro Barrel reduces noise and felt recoil.

I use it all the time on my Benelli to shoot pigeons and rodents around my house.  

MidwayUSA sells them

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=856400&t=11082005

Also Federal makes Sub-Sonic 12ga ammo for Metro Barrel shotguns.....they do not work in a semi auto.

Link Posted: 9/7/2009 3:00:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Call the CLEO and - in a friendly way - ask what's up.  Politely complain that you thought the officers overstepped their responsibilities and see what happens.  Just remember to be nice
Link Posted: 9/7/2009 3:00:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Harrison County Government 300 North Capitol Avenue, Corydon, IN 47112 Ph#812-738-8241
Link Posted: 9/7/2009 3:01:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Call the Sheriff to set up an appointment to complain!

This is INDIANA!!!  Not CA, NJ, MA

If you want to set up your clay thrower on your property and shoot through a whole fucking box of shells you can.

I would make a complaint that you do not like the deputies attitude towards you doing something completely legal on your own property, and if any further harrassment takes place, your attorney is ready to file suit.
Link Posted: 9/7/2009 3:04:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Your home. Your property. Your gun - your right to wear it. No reason to produce ID. No reason to entertain deputy dipshit & partner.

Next time tell them to get off your property without a warrant.

Try that sometime - let us know how it works out for you.
Another expert who "knows" the law.

I didn't make that comment, but I'll chime in.

It isn't about the law or what you think you can or can't do.  It's about me being the one who makes the rules that govern any interaction between me and the police, and me being the one who is willing to do what is required to enforce those rules.  I'm not talking tough, I'm not declaring war on anyone, and I'm not trying to come off as some kind of radical, but I am telling you how it is if someone comes knocking on my door.
Link Posted: 9/7/2009 3:06:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Assuming that you were actually safe when you were shooting, I would have told them to get off my property and go to hell the minute he started on his little rant.  Then again, I'm not the most tactful fellow.

The 3 acres thing has me a bit concerned, though.

You can shoot safely on 3 acres if there is a mile of corn field behind you.

You can safely shoot shot shells with 300 yds. of field behind you. Buck shot, not so much. The little pellets lose energy quickly. Still have to be careful.

When I was a kid, we used to have shotgun wars.  We'd shoot each other with 12 gauges at 300-400 yards using birdshot.  I know, not bright, but we were dumb assed rednecks.

I'd have to see the layout before I'd assume it is safe or not, though.
Link Posted: 9/7/2009 3:09:30 PM EDT
[#8]
A member here in MD had a similar problem.
He was shooting on a parcel of land that was pretty tiny.
Legal, yes but barely within the safe distances.
Neighbors kept calling the cops.
Finally, instead of throwing a temper tantrum (as some here suggest) MDshooter called the Sherrif.
He and the sherrif had a talk about the law, MDshooter carries a copy of the law with him and the SD has not been back since.
I know it is a crazy idea, but actually acting like a civilized human being will usually get you what you want, with a minimum of drama.
Link Posted: 9/7/2009 3:16:43 PM EDT
[#9]

Personally, I would not feel like I was being a good neighbor if I was only sitting on three acres.  There is over a hundred contiguous acres at the family homestead (very much in the boonies), and yet I am very circumspect about any shooting on the property.  Preferrably on 4 July or New Year's Day when fireworks drown it out.

Not trying to sound like a jerk; just letting you know that other people's point of view may be a bit different than your own in this matter.

Link Posted: 9/7/2009 3:24:28 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
A member here in MD had a similar problem.
He was shooting on a parcel of land that was pretty tiny.
Legal, yes but barely within the safe distances.
Neighbors kept calling the cops.
Finally, instead of throwing a temper tantrum (as some here suggest) MDshooter called the Sherrif.
He and the sherrif had a talk about the law, MDshooter carries a copy of the law with him and the SD has not been back since.
I know it is a crazy idea, but actually acting like a civilized human being will usually get you what you want, with a minimum of drama.

That would be a better idea than mine, but I never said I was smart.

Personally, I wouldn't have shot on three acres.  But let's not let that get in the way of a good cop/anti-cop thread.
Link Posted: 9/7/2009 3:29:35 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
File a complaint about the "build a case" threat, that way its on file if they ever decide to try and build a case, lol.

This.

Link Posted: 9/7/2009 3:34:22 PM EDT
[#12]
Buy a bigger yard.

3 acres...seriously? You shouldnt be shooting anything bigger than an air rifle on a 3-acre plot with neighbors.
Link Posted: 9/7/2009 3:39:07 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Tell them to get off your property

No shit.

And since when can they demand a license when you're standing in your own front door?    Indiana must have some fucked up laws.
Link Posted: 9/7/2009 3:40:45 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
It's not the 3 acres that matters, it's the distance from where he shoots to the closest occupied dwelling or person or whatever.

All we know is that he is never more than 3 acres away for the street.

I've lived places where you could not shoot withen 500 yards of any road. I've lived places where its illegal to fire a gun withen 400 yards of a structure, including your own barn or house. I've lived places where it was illegal to discharge a firearm in the entire county.

He needs to research his state law and county muni codes.
Link Posted: 9/7/2009 3:42:40 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Call the Sheriff and immediately report this.  This is harassment and the Sheriff will immediately nip it in the bud.  If your Sheriff is like our Sheriff, he's an elected official and has to serve the people who elect him.  Tell him about his deputy's threats and making you feel like a criminal for exercising your constitutionally protected rights on your own property.  This is the only way this sort of thing is going to end...especially if the deputy said something about "building a case against me" and "endangering children."

lol
Harrasment is a pattern of behavior.
One contact does not harrasment make.

I'm trying to figure out what the complaint will be for.  There could be any number of laws/ordinances the deputy could use to 'build a case' against the OP - depends on the particular state/county/city laws.  Obviously, the deputy would need PC to support the arrest for violating said charges and the DA may or may not file on those charges.

But it does sound like someone in your neighborhood ain't happy about you shooting for whatever reason.

Brian

Link Posted: 9/7/2009 3:43:53 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I am sure that even with probable cause permission is needed to enter the property or at least a "warning", mistakes do happen by deputies or homeowners and the sheriff should know when his deputies are on someone's property especially in rural settings.

Probable cause is only needed for an arrest or a search (though there are exceptions to this even)
What does PC have to do with the OPs situation - no search and no arrest took place.
Where did some of you get your knowedge of the law?

arfcom GD?

Brian

Link Posted: 9/7/2009 3:44:50 PM EDT
[#17]
Nope, its harrassment (whatever that is)..to tell a suspect that if he continues to violate the law the police will investigate and document those violations of law.

Thats what "build a case means" people.
Link Posted: 9/7/2009 3:45:19 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Assuming that you were actually safe when you were shooting, I would have told them to get off my property and go to hell the minute he started on his little rant.  Then again, I'm not the most tactful fellow.

The 3 acres thing has me a bit concerned, though.

You can shoot safely on 3 acres if there is a mile of corn field behind you.

You can safely shoot shot shells with 300 yds. of field behind you. Buck shot, not so much. The little pellets lose energy quickly. Still have to be careful.

Take a look at Pachmyer(sp?) shooting range in Whittier, CA - where the '84 Olympic shooting sports comps were held.  Shooting trap you are looking at the 60 freeway and are close enough to make out the Mfg/model of the cars......

Brian
Link Posted: 9/7/2009 3:47:53 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Your home. Your property. Your gun - your right to wear it. No reason to produce ID. No reason to entertain deputy dipshit & partner.

It isn't about the law or what you think you can or can't do.  It's about me being the one who makes the rules that govern any interaction between me and the police, and me being the one who is willing to do what is required to enforce those rules.  I'm not talking tough, I'm not declaring war on anyone, and I'm not trying to come off as some kind of radical, but I am telling you how it is if someone comes knocking on my door.

Depending on the particular situation you may or may not get to make the rules of engagement when the police are knocking at your door.

Brian

Link Posted: 9/7/2009 3:48:23 PM EDT
[#20]
If this had happened here in my rural part of FL, a visit to the Sheriff would have resulted in a couple of deputies getting an ass chewing the next day. Our elections are always real close here and law abiding citizens always get the Sheriff's ear.
Link Posted: 9/7/2009 3:49:30 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

If you want to set up your clay thrower on your property and shoot through a whole fucking box of shells you can.

I would make a complaint that you do not like the deputies attitude towards you doing something completely legal on your own property, and if any further harrassment takes place, your attorney is ready to file suit.

What exactly would your attorney be filing suit over if the SO is investigating complaints of shots fired?

Brian

Link Posted: 9/7/2009 3:50:00 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:
contact the sheriff and file a complaint about the officers remarks. See where that takes you.

this

That. I would have a complaint in writting about the threat they made against you.
Link Posted: 9/7/2009 3:51:28 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:

No shit.

And since when can they demand a license when you're standing in your own front door?    Indiana must have some fucked up laws.

Cops can demand ID when someone is detained - most people have a drivers license so it's generally easier to ask for that.

Brian

Link Posted: 9/7/2009 3:53:38 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:

This would be my first choice.

In a town that small?!?

Link Posted: 9/7/2009 3:56:34 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Depending on the particular situation you may or may not get to make the rules of engagement when the police are knocking at your door.

Brian

True enough.  You can't predict the circumstances.  If I'm alert and prepared, I always have a range of options when I get tired of someone trying to interfere in my life, though.
Link Posted: 9/7/2009 3:57:09 PM EDT
[#26]
Might be good not only to investigate your state law but your county laws as well.  Due to a miracle bullet (a .22 bullet bounced through the backstop (stacked cordwood) traveled 1/4 mile, and got a heart shot on a kid bouncing on a trampoline - doa), many counties in Texas in Texas have in-acted ordinances (probably backed by a state law saying that they can) limiting shooting on small tracts of land (less than 15 acres iirc (but might be as much as 60 acres).  Of course, understand that native Texan land owners often have issues with any ranchette under 88 acres.
Link Posted: 9/7/2009 4:01:20 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Also have your friendly local land shark write a letter to the County Supervisors apprising them of what other people have been awarded by juries when their rights have been violated by counties.  Mention that arresting for a legal and safe activity would almost certainly be considered a Federal Civil rights violation.

This sounds good.   You were threatened, mildly, I'm sure in their opinion.   Best to nip it in the bud and let the "neighbor" know you're not someone who just fell off a turnip truck.

Link Posted: 9/7/2009 4:01:23 PM EDT
[#28]
Edit :

OP is in Epic fail mode. I think 70 yds from a house is too close in most areas. You're probably goin' down.
Link Posted: 9/7/2009 4:03:12 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I notice that these stories happen to guys who always describe their gun exactly along with their holster.

LOL was thinking the same thing.

Problem started with the 3 acres...someone, somehow could hear you.  2, a shotgun?? Really? 3, shooting animals that a pellet gun would have sufficed.  4, What were you doing outside to begin with?
Link Posted: 9/7/2009 4:10:28 PM EDT
[#30]
I would check the Law. In some areas you can't shoot within a 1000ft of a building. Is your area considered a congested area which are illegal to shoot in also.
Link Posted: 9/7/2009 4:13:58 PM EDT
[#31]
"Build a case against against you " ? For what ? Dude get a lawyer, sounds like something the JBT's do. I'd nip that right in the freaking bud.
Link Posted: 9/7/2009 4:16:23 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No shit.

Cops can demand ID when someone is detained - most people have a drivers license so it's generally easier to ask for that.

Brian

State to state laws vary.  

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stop_and_Identify_statutes#States_with_.E2.80.9Cstop-and-identify.E2.80.9D_

Per OP's state:
IC 34-28-5-3.5
Refusal to identify self
    Sec. 3.5. A person who knowingly or intentionally refuses to provide either the person's:
       (1) name, address, and date of birth; or
       (2) driver's license, if in the person's possession;
to a law enforcement officer who has stopped the person for an infraction or ordinance violation commits a Class C misdemeanor.
As added by P.L.1-1998, SEC.24.
Link Posted: 9/7/2009 4:19:04 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:

What exactly would your attorney be filing suit over if the SO is investigating complaints of shots fired?

Brian

How about the fact that "shots fired" isn't a violation or even Probable Cause in a vast majority of the United States for starters?

Link Posted: 9/7/2009 4:21:09 PM EDT
[#34]
If it went down like you say........ It sounds Fugged up to me.
Don't talk about it here.
Talk to the Sheriff. Bring a witness
Just sayin........
And I am Pro Cop.
Link Posted: 9/7/2009 4:24:26 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Edit :

OP is in Epic fail mode. I think 70 yds from a house is too close in most areas. You're probably goin' down.

I don't know how I survived and never went to jail.  I used to shoot the racoons off my roof, crows out of the trees (shooting from my porch) and ground squirrels off my LP tank.    

City boys is right......
Link Posted: 9/7/2009 4:31:06 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
How about the fact that "shots fired" isn't a violation or even Probable Cause in a vast majority of the United States for starters?

What do you guys keep babbling on about probable cause and warrants for?
They have zero applicability under these circumstances.
Link Posted: 9/7/2009 4:33:33 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
File a complaint about the "build a case" threat, that way its on file if they ever decide to try and build a case, lol.

ESPECIALLY if you can have a witness testify - 'build a case' could be construed as falsifying a report, since you were not doing anything illegal.
Link Posted: 9/7/2009 4:35:51 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Three whole acres huh?  

I can't imagine why anybody would be concerned about hearing gunfire and thinking that projectiles might leave your property.

Get a pellet gun.

Yeah, the "3 whole acres" thing does not sit well with me either...

Are there any buildings OR HOMES within 100 yards of your property??? ...If there are, chances are good that you were NOT acting within the law.

Sigh.....
I now see the futility of arguing on the internet. I have a low post count for exactly this reason. Sarcasm On/
Ok, you all caught me. I was busy shooting at school buses full of special needs children with a .50 cal sniper rifle, and stomping live kittens and puppies when the deputies showed up.
Satan is my best friend and I supported the 9/11 attacks with my friends in Iran. Sarcasm Off/

Once again, for those who cannot read.
There are NO laws against discharging a firearms where I live. I know the laws here. There is no city that I am a part of that has a local ordinance. I live down a one way road, and my driveway is fucking gravel, so lets try to get past the 3 acres thing. I live in the country. I own 3 acres, I am not shooting across 3 acres. I have never shot any of my firearms in the direction of any people or dwellings. I shot into the ground. You know that hard, dirty thing under your feet when you are outside? There were no rocks for it to bounce off of. It made a hole in the ground. Are we fairly clear on that now? Shotgun-into the ground-made a hole. Never were there any people in danger, and I even had safety glasses on. I made several loud noises, and that is why the deputies showed up. If I had a silencer, then no one would have known I was shooting. Wait.....once more. I did not shoot in the direction of any person, pet, dwelling, car, crops, etc.
Ok, does that help?

You are avoiding the question.

Are there ANY dwellings or buildings, not owned by you, within 100 yards of your property?

If there are, you may very well be breaking a law or two...
Link Posted: 9/7/2009 4:37:14 PM EDT
[#39]
If they don't get you on the backstop / minimum safe distance thing, they will get you on the noise.  

Trust me on that one.  One way or the other, you've made a nuisance of yourself to one of the neighbors.  Maybe you and the good neighbor have combined to create the animosity by the frequency of your shooting.  I'm not saying it's right, but it does happen a lot.
Link Posted: 9/7/2009 4:37:18 PM EDT
[#40]
Old English law required you have 240 acres to take game on it.   This probably had more to do with old social issues but a 3 acre plot is only 360 feet per side or 120 yards.    I shot safely out of my back yard on one acre when I was a kid but we had a giant oak knoll behind us as a backdrop.

Link Posted: 9/7/2009 4:39:08 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

This
Link Posted: 9/7/2009 4:43:33 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Quoted:

After you've filed a complaint that explicitly spells out the, "build a case against you," threat.

This, and politely tell the solicitor on the phone to go fuck himself/herself the next time you receive a call asking you to contribute to the fallen officer's fund and remind them of this story.

Link Posted: 9/7/2009 4:44:52 PM EDT
[#43]
OP...I have people who live around me, and they also shoot from time to time. Just because they're shooting does not mean it is legal for you to shoot.

OP...There are no laws around here that prohibit shooting. Gentlemans bet says you are wrong...Something concerning "distance from a dwelling" will be the culprit.

I'm starting to get the idea that Deputies MAY have been well within the law.

The OP has told us everything EXCEPT for how close his neighbors actually live to him.

Now, if his neighbors live far enough away that they CANNOT hear a firearm being shot during the course of a normal day, then the OP may have to go talk nicely to the Popo, and find out exactly what the complaint was about.

OP...Please don't think I'm trying to piss you off. I really hope that the deputies were in the wrong and that you can shoot in your yard.... but you really need to talk to the Sheriff.

Link Posted: 9/7/2009 4:47:43 PM EDT
[#44]
Ignore Barney, do what you do.
Link Posted: 9/7/2009 4:49:45 PM EDT
[#45]
Tell us more about the IWB holster.  Did the popo see your ankle one as well? Or did the 5.11 tactical pants cover it up?
Link Posted: 9/7/2009 4:50:50 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Three whole acres huh?  

I can't imagine why anybody would be concerned about hearing gunfire and thinking that projectiles might leave your property.

Get a pellet gun.

I don't think we were given enough information to make a statement like that. Somehow I don't get the impression he lives in a development.

Link Posted: 9/7/2009 4:54:42 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
It's not the 3 acres that matters, it's the distance from where he shoots to the closest occupied dwelling or person or whatever.

I don't remember what that usually comes to, but 300 to 500 yards is probably the minimum you'd find any jurisdiction.

If you're closer than that, OP, you might very well be doing something wrong, legal or not.

At least, without the consent of your neighbors.

100 yards in Maine without consent so long as you do it "in a safe manner"

Edit: I usually just shoot 22s in the yard (but not always), out of respect for my neighbors
I have 10 acres and no houses within 200 yards
Link Posted: 9/7/2009 4:55:14 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Three whole acres huh?  

Get a pellet gun.

Yeah, the "3 whole acres" thing does not sit well with me either...

Are there any buildings OR HOMES within 100 yards of your property??? ...If there are, chances are good that you were NOT acting within the law.

Sigh.....
I now see the futility of arguing on the internet. I have a low post count for exactly this reason. Sarcasm On/
Ok, you all caught me. I was busy shooting at school buses full of special needs children with a .50 cal sniper rifle, and stomping live kittens and puppies when the deputies showed up.
Satan is my best friend and I supported the 9/11 attacks with my friends in Iran. Sarcasm Off/

Once again, for those who cannot read.
There are NO laws against discharging a firearms where I live. I know the laws here. There is no city that I am a part of that has a local ordinance. I live down a one way road, and my driveway is fucking gravel, so lets try to get past the 3 acres thing. I live in the country. I own 3 acres, I am not shooting across 3 acres. I have never shot any of my firearms in the direction of any people or dwellings. I shot into the ground. You know that hard, dirty thing under your feet when you are outside? There were no rocks for it to bounce off of. It made a hole in the ground. Are we fairly clear on that now? Shotgun-into the ground-made a hole. Never were there any people in danger, and I even had safety glasses on. I made several loud noises, and that is why the deputies showed up. If I had a silencer, then no one would have known I was shooting. Wait.....once more. I did not shoot in the direction of any person, pet, dwelling, car, crops, etc.
Ok, does that help?

You are avoiding the question.

Are there ANY dwellings or buildings, not owned by you, within 100 yards of your property?

If there are, you may very well be breaking a law or two...

There is one building, but please show me this law that states there is a minimum distance for shooting. I have spent the last few hours doing a search on Indiana laws, and there are no such distance laws. There is a law about knowingly pointing a weapon at a person, but that did not happen.
FWIW, I used to live about 3 miles away, closer to town, and regularly shot my AR in my back yard with out one single complaint or visit.
I understand there are people who must find guilt when there is none because they have to justify their opinion.
This is a gun-friendly area. I will speak to the County Attorney tomorrow. I am also pro-cop, but anti-dumbass.
Link Posted: 9/7/2009 4:58:28 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Tell them to fuck off... No law? then no worry... If they harass you, lawyer up.

+1
Link Posted: 9/7/2009 4:59:10 PM EDT
[#50]
I live in town currently, and I have a neighbor behind me that has some extremely loud, and long lasting parties. Sometime until 2 or 3 in the morning, on week nights. I've called for two years on him, and really did no good. Recently I discovered he is a cop, which explains why 2 or 3 calls do nothing to stop the noise. Two weeks ago, I called for the last time.
I called 911, and politely explained that the resident behind me is having another one of his wild parties, and that I have recently discovered he is a city officer. I tell them I believe I know why all of my previous calls did no good. I told them I will call this last time, and if it continues, I will visit with the Sheriff.

The party quit in minutes, lights out.

Coincidentally, less than a week later, my dog became extremely sick, and nearly dies. It cost a ton of money at the vet.  The vet says he ingested something toxic. He does not run free, and only goes out in my fenced back yard. I am not making an accusation, just a statement of facts, and time.

What ever you do, just think ahead of what could possibly happen, and do what you can.

Keep a journal of everything at least, maybe even speak with an attorney.

Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top