Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 6
Link Posted: 9/7/2009 1:43:51 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

contact the sheriff and file a complaint about the officers remarks. See where that takes you.

Say goodbye to any family pets first if you do this...

Link Posted: 9/7/2009 1:44:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Get a supressor

.....for your shotgun

physically file a complaint...
Link Posted: 9/7/2009 1:44:24 PM EDT
[#3]
This is my response to officers at my door.

"
Sorry, I dont open my door for strangers.
If you have a warrant....here are my hands(showing them my hands through the window) kick down the door. If not,We can talk through the door. If you dont want to do that, this is my phone number. call me and we can talk.
"
Link Posted: 9/7/2009 1:44:31 PM EDT
[#4]
It's not the 3 acres that matters, it's the distance from where he shoots to the closest occupied dwelling or person or whatever.

I don't remember what that usually comes to, but 300 to 500 yards is probably the minimum you'd find any jurisdiction.

If you're closer than that, OP, you might very well be doing something wrong, legal or not.

At least, without the consent of your neighbors.
Link Posted: 9/7/2009 1:44:33 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Get a supressor

.....for your shotgun

They DO exist.

Link Posted: 9/7/2009 1:45:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Three whole acres huh?  

I can't imagine why anybody would be concerned about hearing gunfire and thinking that projectiles might leave your property.

Get a pellet gun.

I'm glad I don't have to read further into this thread before I find someone else who thinks that blowing lead randomly( not into some sort of berm, something) on three acres is a good idea.

I'm glad you also did not seem to read my thread anyway. Randomly would not describe what I was doing, and although I live on 3 acres, I have about 150 acres of cornfield/soybean buffer, nor was I shooting in the direction of any houses, or people.
I also have a pellet gun, but it does not reliably kill moles underground.
Thanks though.

Link Posted: 9/7/2009 1:45:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

No problem brother. I grew up around guns, spent 8 years in the army, and have always had at least one. I was just being descriptive, and honestly, this whole thing makes me mad as hot dog fuck. I am also 42 years old, and have a family. Been married 20 years too. I am not some dumb ass johnny come lately.
I do appreciate the advice, and it feels better just to get it out of my system before I fucking move to a walled compound.
I hope everyone notices I did not "Blade 45 degrees to my door" or anything like that.

You sound like a man the sheriff would take seriously.

Go see him in person and explain what happened and let him know that you want his support in upholding your Constitutionally protected rights.

Ask him point blank if his Deputy was acting in accordance with his department policies.

Link Posted: 9/7/2009 1:46:40 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I'm glad you also did not seem to read my thread anyway. Randomly would not describe what I was doing, and although I live on 3 acres, I have about 150 acres of cornfield/soybean buffer, nor was I shooting in the direction of any houses, or people.
Thanks though.

How far away is the nearest dwelling or neighbor or whatever?

Link Posted: 9/7/2009 1:49:18 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

I live in Harrison County, Indiana. It is a farming area, with the closest town some 8-10 miles away from me. I have around a 3 acre yard. Yesterday, I had my Mossberg 930 SPX out killing moles that tear up my back yard. I probably shot 5 times into the ground at a better than 45 degree angle. The were no ricochets, as I would have gotten struck. I then shot a few rotten tomatoes from my garden that were on the ground. This is normal for me. I shoot at least once a day on my property. I am very careful about where my shots go, and I can account for each one when I pull the trigger. I also carry openly when I am on my property, as the moles don't keep scheduled hunting hours.

I have people who live around me, and they also shoot from time to time. So I was curious yesterday when I seen 2 deputies driving around like they were looking for something, as they rarely come around here. I had already finished shooting, and was entertaining family friends inside, when someone knocked on the door. I go to the door, and there are two deputies outside. One is facing the door, the other is beside the door hiding. I can see him through the window however. The one deputy facing the door yells for me to leave my gun inside(my M&P 357 sig in a desantis IWB rig) So, I slowly remove the entire holster and set it on my bookcase by the door and walk outside.

The first deputy asked me if I was the homeowner, to which I replied "yes, I am". He asked me for my license which I produced and gave to the other deputy. Then the first deputy started on a rant on how dangerous I was, and how there were children around and that they had gone code three to get here, and endangered other people going code three, because I was shooting.  I tried to politely tell the deputy that I was very safe when I shoot, and was not aware there was any law I had broken in doing so. He replied that if this happens again, he will come out and "build a case" against me. I realize it does no good arguing in a situation like this, so I simply said "fair enough".  They left, and I have been so fucking mad that I fear I may bust a vein. I support what these guys do, but i did nothing incorrect or unlawful.

Now, I simply ask for advice on what to do next. There are no laws around here that prohibit shooting. This is somewhat of a good ol' boy network, and I am an outsider for the most part.

Contact state Atty. General and get in writing that it's legal to shoot on your property. Contact Sheriff with written statement in hand. Be polite, respectful and courteous even though they don't deserve it. If they continue to hold the position that tey will "buil a case" it's time to sue the fuck out of them. Also, if it's legal in your state, record all conversations and encounters.

Link Posted: 9/7/2009 1:51:30 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Three whole acres huh?  

I can't imagine why anybody would be concerned about hearing gunfire and thinking that projectiles might leave your property.

Get a pellet gun.

That's what I was thinking.. I like on a bit over an acre. A few neighbors have close to 3 acres. That is way too close to be discharging a firearm without a well built range and backstop.
Link Posted: 9/7/2009 1:51:55 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Three whole acres huh?  

Get a pellet gun.

I'm glad I don't have to read further into this thread before I find someone else who thinks that blowing lead randomly( not into some sort of berm, something) on three acres is a good idea.

When did the fucking wussy brigade land at ARFCOM?  I've noticed a lot of comments deriding anybody shooting on other than a walled established range with a 5 mile buffer zone in 360 degrees.  WTF?  It used to be common practice that we assume other posters are more familiar with the relative safety of shooting in their own surroundings.  I used to shoot regularly on 1.7 acres in the country, and I was shooting toward another farm about 1.3 miles away.   Before some nitwit like the guy I quoted has a panic attack and cries for his mommy or a ban hammer.......I also built a four foot wall of old railroad ties, backfilled it with 10 yards of dirt, and every round I fired in that direction went into that backstop unless I was shooting varmints with the shotgun or .22.  I could shoot very safely in some directions, not so safely in others so I avoided shooting in the directions that were not safe.

Get a grip.

OP: meet with the Sheriff and ask him to show you what laws you were breaking.  If none, then ask him for a copy of the incident report (if there is one) and a citizen complaint form.  Fill it out including the threats made by the deputy.  On the way out, suggest that perhaps it would be more appropriate to go after the complaining party for misuse of 911 than to harrass someone who is partaking in a lawful, and indeed PROTECTED activity.
Link Posted: 9/7/2009 1:53:35 PM EDT
[#12]
While you are at it, file a freedom of information act (FOIA) to get any and all information as to why the deputies were dispatched to your house.  Most likely, they won't give you the report detailing who called them, citing an open investigation, but they may slip up and then you will know who it is.  At the very least, they will know that you are less than intimidated by their threats.  You may also want to talk to your local game warden/DNR or whatever IN calls them and verify that there are no laws prohibiting you shooting on your property.
Link Posted: 9/7/2009 1:54:18 PM EDT
[#13]

Next time:
Do Not incriminate your self, don't answer their questions.  Do not let them enter.  Do not consent to any searches.
Link Posted: 9/7/2009 1:56:49 PM EDT
[#14]
Fuck the police

Link Posted: 9/7/2009 1:57:17 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Thanks though.

How far away is the nearest dwelling or neighbor or whatever?

Nearest neighbor is about 70 yards away, but they shoot all the time, and we talk, so I doubt that is the issue. We just make sure we watch for each other when we shoot. The next closest is about 300 yards. I suspect these people, as they are the closest people that I do not know.  Both dwellings are in the directions I do not shoot, and once again for those who cannot understand, I am very safe when I shoot, and very aware and concerned about where my shots go. Also, I was shooting a 12Ga, #8 shot,into the ground, not my AR15 at the nearest houses.
If I did something I though was unsafe or stupid, I would have taken my lumps, end of story.
Link Posted: 9/7/2009 1:59:59 PM EDT
[#16]
What is the minimum acreage required on which a gun can be safely fired?  Three acres is fine if it is set up right.
Link Posted: 9/7/2009 2:01:17 PM EDT
[#17]
Odd for Indiana.

Probably more guns per cubic person in Indiana than any other state.

If I were you I'd be contacting a pro 2nd Lawyer and tell him about this because if you've got yourself on the bad side of an anti-gun neighbor and a less than honest cop you have some real fucking problems that you ain't gonna to be able to fix by just whining about it in GD.

Post this in the Indiana Forum for names of attorneys.
Link Posted: 9/7/2009 2:01:36 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Three whole acres huh?  

Get a pellet gun.

Let me guess, you've lived in a city your whole life. With a proper backstop or angle of fire 3 acres is more than enough to shoot on.

Here in WI you need to have a certain amount of acres to legally shoot on your property. I believe its 5 but am not 100% certain.
Link Posted: 9/7/2009 2:03:05 PM EDT
[#19]
Post pics.
Link Posted: 9/7/2009 2:03:39 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Three whole acres huh?  

Get a pellet gun.

When did the fucking wussy brigade land at ARFCOM?  I've noticed a lot of comments deriding anybody shooting on other than a walled established range with a 5 mile buffer zone in 360 degrees.  WTF?  It used to be common practice that we assume other posters are more familiar with the relative safety of shooting in their own surroundings.  I used to shoot regularly on 1.7 acres in the country, and I was shooting toward another farm about 1.3 miles away.   Before some nitwit like the guy I quoted has a panic attack and cries for his mommy or a ban hammer.......I also built a four foot wall of old railroad ties, backfilled it with 10 yards of dirt, and every round I fired in that direction went into that backstop unless I was shooting varmints with the shotgun or .22.  I could shoot very safely in some directions, not so safely in others so I avoided shooting in the directions that were not safe.

Get a grip.

OP: meet with the Sheriff and ask him to show you what laws you were breaking.  If none, then ask him for a copy of the incident report (if there is one) and a citizen complaint form.  Fill it out including the threats made by the deputy.  On the way out, suggest that perhaps it would be more appropriate to go after the complaining party for misuse of 911 than to harrass someone who is partaking in a lawful, and indeed PROTECTED activity.

City boys I imagine.
Link Posted: 9/7/2009 2:04:19 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
never ever leave your house to talk to them.

EVER!

This x 10

Just tell them your fine where you are and ask what you can do for them. They can not compel you to exit your house without a warrant.
Link Posted: 9/7/2009 2:04:52 PM EDT
[#22]
No MS Paint, no pics, and the dog is still alive?  I call BS....
Link Posted: 9/7/2009 2:06:49 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Three whole acres huh?  

Get a pellet gun.

Let me guess, you've lived in a city your whole life. With a proper backstop or angle of fire 3 acres is more than enough to shoot on.

Here in WI you need to have a certain amount of acres to legally shoot on your property. I believe its 5 but am not 100% certain.

Not true, I lived in WI for over 20 years, shot on less than 5 acres plenty of times.

Link Posted: 9/7/2009 2:10:35 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Call the Sheriff and complain.

Exactly the course to take.

I'd call the Sheriff's office and schedule a meeting. Leave your CCW in the car and avoid the Molon Labe comments.

Talk straight with him and do a little homework on related laws (hard copies are nice).

This was most likely just an inexperienced young officer with a very boring rural job in LE.
Link Posted: 9/7/2009 2:10:59 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Tell them to get off your property

This.

Tell them to GTFO and that you won't be bullied, threatened, or pushed around.

Video tape it. Also take detailed notes of everything that was already said.

Write a letter to the Sheriff, mayor, and every other politician who works for you.
Link Posted: 9/7/2009 2:11:32 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Three whole acres huh?  

Get a pellet gun.

Yeah, the "3 whole acres" thing does not sit well with me either...

Are there any buildings OR HOMES within 100 yards of your property??? ...If there are, chances are good that you were NOT acting within the law.
Link Posted: 9/7/2009 2:15:09 PM EDT
[#27]
Sounds like you either got an anti-gun neighbor or someone doesn't appreciate all the racket you were making. The best thing would be to determine who called and then introduce yourself, explain, see if you can come to an understanding. I'd be as civil as possible, it doesn't sound like your AO is very rural, more like a spread out neighborhood, so it would be easy to understand someone being concerned about hearing lots of rounds being let off. I second calling the sheriff and a pro-2nd attorney in your area too though, just to be clear on the law and to complain about deputy dipshit.
Link Posted: 9/7/2009 2:15:18 PM EDT
[#28]
Assuming that you were actually safe when you were shooting, I would have told them to get off my property and go to hell the minute he started on his little rant.  Then again, I'm not the most tactful fellow.

The 3 acres thing has me a bit concerned, though.
Link Posted: 9/7/2009 2:15:46 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Three whole acres huh?  

Get a pellet gun.

BULLSHIT.  I lived on 1.7 acres in WI in a rural township with no firearms laws and no issues.

However, there are a LOT of TOWNSHIPS that are semi-rural and have no hunting or shooting ordinances.  The one I lived in was not one of them.
Link Posted: 9/7/2009 2:21:19 PM EDT
[#30]
Sounds to me like some shotgun pellets richocheted, maybe ratteled some tree leaves close to the neighbors! Prompting a call to the Sheriff.  

Could be some neighbors had some children over and the gunshots scared them, precipitating the visit from the county law.  

Hard to tell from what I read in this topic, but one way or the other....the Sheriff got called and the Deputys responded to the source of the shots. Not good.

I live on 5 acres, and have neighbors not at all far enough away to do any casual shooting with anything other that a pellet gun. Anything really serious, like a renegade skunk(had rabies around earlier in the year) gets shot with carefully aimed .22 CB shorts. I do my practice shooting at a series of three private propertys I have permission to use. These all have natural backstops, and are remote enough to not piss anyone off!
Link Posted: 9/7/2009 2:32:58 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Three whole acres huh?  

Get a pellet gun.

Are there any buildings OR HOMES within 100 yards of your property??? ...If there are, chances are good that you were NOT acting within the law.

Sigh.....
I now see the futility of arguing on the internet. I have a low post count for exactly this reason. Sarcasm On/
Ok, you all caught me. I was busy shooting at school buses full of special needs children with a .50 cal sniper rifle, and stomping live kittens and puppies when the deputies showed up.
Satan is my best friend and I supported the 9/11 attacks with my friends in Iran. Sarcasm Off/

Once again, for those who cannot read.
There are NO laws against discharging a firearms where I live. I know the laws here. There is no city that I am a part of that has a local ordinance. I live down a one way road, and my driveway is fucking gravel, so lets try to get past the 3 acres thing. I live in the country. I own 3 acres, I am not shooting across 3 acres. I have never shot any of my firearms in the direction of any people or dwellings. I shot into the ground. You know that hard, dirty thing under your feet when you are outside? There were no rocks for it to bounce off of. It made a hole in the ground. Are we fairly clear on that now? Shotgun-into the ground-made a hole. Never were there any people in danger, and I even had safety glasses on. I made several loud noises, and that is why the deputies showed up. If I had a silencer, then no one would have known I was shooting. Wait.....once more. I did not shoot in the direction of any person, pet, dwelling, car, crops, etc.
Ok, does that help?

Link Posted: 9/7/2009 2:39:33 PM EDT
[#32]
Sorry to sound like an Ass. I am an American, and believe sincerely in my rights. I did nothing unlawful, yet was made to feel like a criminal. I have had one speeding ticket in my entire 42 years. I will sign off for a while and drink some rum. then play team fortress. I should be much more relaxed later. Thanks ARFCOM.
Link Posted: 9/7/2009 2:41:17 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 9/7/2009 2:42:34 PM EDT
[#34]

One of your neighbors called them. Go meet your neighbors and discuss your actions. The cops don't want to be up your ass but if they get hassled so do you. IMHO

Link Posted: 9/7/2009 2:43:09 PM EDT
[#35]
I want a shotgun that shoots underground!  
Link Posted: 9/7/2009 2:43:59 PM EDT
[#36]
Spend a few bucks and talk to an attorney to ensure that there is absolutely no little known, arcane, ordinance or regulation prohibiting shooting within a certain distance to another's property line or house.
Link Posted: 9/7/2009 2:45:57 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Get a supressor

.....for your shotgun

Its possible.
Link Posted: 9/7/2009 2:47:52 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Three whole acres huh?  

Get a pellet gun.

Sigh.....

I now see the futility of arguing on the internet. I have a low post count for exactly this reason. Sarcasm On/

Ok, you all caught me. I was busy shooting at school buses full of special needs children with a .50 cal sniper rifle, and stomping live kittens and puppies when the deputies showed up.

Satan is my best friend and I supported the 9/11 attacks with my friends in Iran. Sarcasm Off/

Once again, for those who cannot read.

There are NO laws against discharging a firearms where I live. I know the laws here. There is no city that I am a part of that has a local ordinance. I live down a one way road, and my driveway is fucking gravel, so lets try to get past the 3 acres thing. I live in the country. I own 3 acres, I am not shooting across 3 acres. I have never shot any of my firearms in the direction of any people or dwellings. I shot into the ground. You know that hard, dirty thing under your feet when you are outside? There were no rocks for it to bounce off of. It made a hole in the ground. Are we fairly clear on that now? Shotgun-into the ground-made a hole. Never were there any people in danger, and I even had safety glasses on. I made several loud noises, and that is why the deputies showed up. If I had a silencer, then no one would have known I was shooting. Wait.....once more. I did not shoot in the direction of any person, pet, dwelling, car, crops, etc.

Ok, does that help?

My bad.....it sounds like you got the whole thing figured out.....blast away!

Link Posted: 9/7/2009 2:48:55 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Three whole acres huh?  

Get a pellet gun.

Get a grip.

Church.
Link Posted: 9/7/2009 2:49:00 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Three whole acres huh?  

Get a pellet gun.

we are talking about shot shells. What is your major retard malfunction? We shoot them into the air all the damn time. A safe direction is a safe direction, even if you are ignorant to the real situation. Get off this guys ass until you actually have facts to back up your criticism.
Link Posted: 9/7/2009 2:49:30 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Call the Sheriff and immediately report this.  This is harassment and the Sheriff will immediately nip it in the bud.  If your Sheriff is like our Sheriff, he's an elected official and has to serve the people who elect him.  Tell him about his deputy's threats and making you feel like a criminal for exercising your constitutionally protected rights on your own property.  This is the only way this sort of thing is going to end...especially if the deputy said something about "building a case against me" and "endangering children."

lol
Harrasment is a pattern of behavior.
One contact does not harrasment make.
Link Posted: 9/7/2009 2:50:41 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Your home. Your property. Your gun - your right to wear it. No reason to produce ID. No reason to entertain deputy dipshit & partner.

Next time tell them to get off your property without a warrant.

Try that sometime - let us know how it works out for you.
Another expert who "knows" the law.
Link Posted: 9/7/2009 2:51:16 PM EDT
[#43]
BB,

Do not take offense to the other posters arguing about the "3 acres" thing. I live on a 2 acre plot and shoot all the time. It is all about how the area around me is set up and it can be completely safe.

It does help that two of my neighbors are shooters and one of them is a Deputy for the Sheriffs Dept. When I first moved in he was testing out some full auto RRA AR's for the department. Lucky bastard.

Go ahead and talk to the sheriff. I'm sure everything will work out for you.    
Link Posted: 9/7/2009 2:52:59 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Assuming that you were actually safe when you were shooting, I would have told them to get off my property and go to hell the minute he started on his little rant.  Then again, I'm not the most tactful fellow.

You can shoot safely on 3 acres if there is a mile of corn field behind you.

Edit and he was shooting a shotgun not a .338 Lapua.
Link Posted: 9/7/2009 2:53:25 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I would hold off making complaints, etc.  I would call the head guy and ask for clarification on the laws and what is allowed and not to open a dialog.  If he takes your side and says they were wrong, you are done.  If not, you can ask for copies of what they are trying to enforce.  Politely.

This, just when I was starting to think that all of ARFCOM was .

Just call, or go down to the SO, and ask to speak to a supervisor. Explain the situation in non-confrontational language, and ask to be educated.  Explain that you don't usually violate the law, and that you are unaware of exactly which laws you broke.  I can only imagine, that this resonable approach will get you much better results than  most of what has been posted in this thread.

Link Posted: 9/7/2009 2:53:51 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I am sure that even with probable cause permission is needed to enter the property or at least a "warning", mistakes do happen by deputies or homeowners and the sheriff should know when his deputies are on someone's property especially in rural settings.

Probable cause is only needed for an arrest or a search (though there are exceptions to this even)
What does PC have to do with the OPs situation - no search and no arrest took place.
Where did some of you get your knowedge of the law?
Link Posted: 9/7/2009 2:54:09 PM EDT
[#47]
Tag for AAR.
Link Posted: 9/7/2009 2:55:38 PM EDT
[#48]
Everybody scram the popo is here.
Link Posted: 9/7/2009 2:56:12 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Quoted:

You can shoot safely on 3 acres if there is a mile of corn field behind you.

You can safely shoot shot shells with 300 yds. of field behind you. Buck shot, not so much. The little pellets lose energy quickly. Still have to be careful.
Link Posted: 9/7/2009 2:58:11 PM EDT
[#50]
Get a zoning report.
Ask your local, city, county representative for a map of closure areas.
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top