Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 6
Link Posted: 9/7/2009 4:59:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Tell us more about the IWB holster.  Did the popo see your ankle one as well? Or did the 5.11 tactical pants cover it up?

How about this for you-
I shot a gun, cops came, I got mad.
Fit your reading comprehension better?
Don't be a tool when there is no need.
Link Posted: 9/7/2009 5:01:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Hey OP. Little request. Maybe an MS Paint drawing of your house and what lies 600-1000 yards around it, if you have not much to do of course.

On another note, I lived 13 years in a little subdivision out in S-Utah. Everyone had at least 5 acres. Maybe 20 homes max out there. I shot 22s every now and then for some pest control. One time a neighbor about 800 yards away called the Sheriff saying we shot her. She even bandaged her arm up and all. Sheriff knew she was a loony so nothing came of it. Point being, Some of your neighbors will outright lie and screw you. Watch your back man.
Link Posted: 9/7/2009 5:01:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Get a supressor

For a Shotgun !!!
Link Posted: 9/7/2009 5:07:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Three whole acres huh?  

I can't imagine why anybody would be concerned about hearing gunfire and thinking that projectiles might leave your property.

Get a pellet gun.

Yeah, the "3 whole acres" thing does not sit well with me either...

Are there any buildings OR HOMES within 100 yards of your property??? ...If there are, chances are good that you were NOT acting within the law.

Sigh.....
I now see the futility of arguing on the internet. I have a low post count for exactly this reason. Sarcasm On/
Ok, you all caught me. I was busy shooting at school buses full of special needs children with a .50 cal sniper rifle, and stomping live kittens and puppies when the deputies showed up.
Satan is my best friend and I supported the 9/11 attacks with my friends in Iran. Sarcasm Off/

Once again, for those who cannot read.
There are NO laws against discharging a firearms where I live. I know the laws here. There is no city that I am a part of that has a local ordinance. I live down a one way road, and my driveway is fucking gravel, so lets try to get past the 3 acres thing. I live in the country. I own 3 acres, I am not shooting across 3 acres. I have never shot any of my firearms in the direction of any people or dwellings. I shot into the ground. You know that hard, dirty thing under your feet when you are outside? There were no rocks for it to bounce off of. It made a hole in the ground. Are we fairly clear on that now? Shotgun-into the ground-made a hole. Never were there any people in danger, and I even had safety glasses on. I made several loud noises, and that is why the deputies showed up. If I had a silencer, then no one would have known I was shooting. Wait.....once more. I did not shoot in the direction of any person, pet, dwelling, car, crops, etc.
Ok, does that help?

You are avoiding the question.

Are there ANY dwellings or buildings, not owned by you, within 100 yards of your property?

If there are, you may very well be breaking a law or two...

There is one building, but please show me this law that states there is a minimum distance for shooting. I have spent the last few hours doing a search on Indiana laws, and there are no such distance laws. There is a law about knowingly pointing a weapon at a person, but that did not happen.
FWIW, I used to live about 3 miles away, closer to town, and regularly shot my AR in my back yard with out one single complaint or visit.
I understand there are people who must find guilt when there is none because they have to justify their opinion.
This is a gun-friendly area. I will speak to the County Attorney tomorrow. I am also pro-cop, but anti-dumbass.

So, um, what kind of building is this?

You're getting kinda defensive. I'm gonna say it is a dwelling, like maybe a house?
Link Posted: 9/7/2009 5:08:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Hey OP. Little request. Maybe an MS Paint drawing of your house and what lies 600-1000 yards around it, if you have not much to do of course.

On another note, I lived 13 years in a little subdivision out in S-Utah. Everyone had at least 5 acres. Maybe 20 homes max out there. I shot 22s every now and then for some pest control. One time a neighbor about 800 yards away called the Sheriff saying we shot her. She even bandaged her arm up and all. Sheriff knew she was a loony so nothing came of it. Point being, Some of your neighbors will outright lie and screw you. Watch your back man.

Better yet, post a GOOGLE EARTH Image of where you live...I will tell you exactly how much of a chance you have at winning this...and I'll put money on it.

ETA: would put money on my answer IF I could pull-up the In.Gov.Com PDF's concerning the matter....they all download as corrupt.
Link Posted: 9/7/2009 5:13:50 PM EDT
[#6]
I just go have a sit down with the Sheriff and see what he said.
Link Posted: 9/7/2009 5:27:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Everybody scram the popo is here.

Link Posted: 9/7/2009 5:28:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:
You don't live in the boonies.

Well, perhaps not as "boonie" as I would prefer, but definitely it is rural. My town consists of a four-way stop and 2 stores.

So are you within the town limits? If so then I would think you were discharging a firearm within city limits which would be against the law, at least in most towns/cities. I agree though, if you are outside town/city limits, they have no grounds to harass you.

Link Posted: 9/7/2009 5:33:34 PM EDT
[#9]
Call a real lawyer. Better yet, call the NRA and ask for a lawyer recommendation. Ask us for money if you need more than you can afford.

Get satisfaction and teach your neighbors and their hired thug a lesson.
Link Posted: 9/7/2009 5:38:18 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Better yet, post a GOOGLE EARTH Image of where you live...I will tell you exactly how much of a chance you have at winning this...and I'll put money on it.

That's not gonna happen. Do a search of zip code 47117, I live in that zip code. I have no desire to post my coordinates for the world to see. Too paranoid. See that really big cornfield, next to the really big soybean field? Yeah, that is me. There are less than 10 houses within 2000 yards of me.
I am not trying to "win" anything. I want to be able to safely shoot in my yard if I so desire.
This is becoming a dead horse. I will speak to the county attorney tomorrow, and post my results. If you wish to discuss it further, then PM me.
Thanks to all for the advice.
Link Posted: 9/7/2009 5:38:40 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Next time:
Do Not incriminate your self, don't answer their questions.  Do not let them enter.  Do not consent to any searches.

Ya next time have him act like he's guilty of something and or has something to hide. That will make thing easier for him. You can be polite answer only questions you feel will not incriminate you poitely. You don't have to consent to anything but be normal and act like you have nothing to hide.
Link Posted: 9/7/2009 5:40:11 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well, perhaps not as "boonie" as I would prefer, but definitely it is rural. My town consists of a four-way stop and 2 stores.

So are you within the town limits? If so then I would think you were discharging a firearm within city limits which would be against the law, at least in most towns/cities. I agree though, if you are outside town/city limits, they have no grounds to harass you.

No, I do not live in town. I am at least 5 miles from town.
Link Posted: 9/7/2009 5:43:22 PM EDT
[#13]
I'd be interested to know who filed the complaint. This reminds me of the time my brother was visiting and was at our old range on 20 acres. There is approx 1000 acres of woods behind the property, and approximately 500 yards back there is a home. My brother was shooting with safe backstop in a safe direction (obviously not even in the direction of the house back in the woods) and to top it off his direction of fire was at the ground. Right after he left a lady drove up to the house and asked if someone was shooting in the woods. I asked her why, and she said that her (elderly) father was at his house and a bullet whizzed by his head and he was scared. This was utter and complete bullshit, but I didn't get into it at the time and didn't tell her anything except that there were always people shooting in those woods, etc. and she left. I waited for the deputy to show up, but it never happened. The point is that it just takes one scared senile old transplanted fool to make claims that a bullet was whizzing past his ear to make life tough. If she ever comes out again, though, I will calls the Sheriff's Office myself and make a point to show the deputy where the shooting happens, where the backstop is, and where the direction of fire is. I can't believe the guy made it through deer season without having a coronary since his property is surrounded by prime hunting land.
Link Posted: 9/7/2009 5:44:13 PM EDT
[#14]
File a complaint and then go shooting.
Link Posted: 9/7/2009 5:51:28 PM EDT
[#15]
don't admit to shooting and dont talk to the cops
Link Posted: 9/7/2009 5:52:18 PM EDT
[#16]
and don't go file a complaint and admit to shooting either.

and don't open the door next time.

Link Posted: 9/7/2009 5:58:28 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 9/7/2009 6:00:26 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Three whole acres huh?  

I can't imagine why anybody would be concerned about hearing gunfire and thinking that projectiles might leave your property.

Get a pellet gun.

Yeah, the "3 whole acres" thing does not sit well with me either...

Are there any buildings OR HOMES within 100 yards of your property??? ...If there are, chances are good that you were NOT acting within the law.

Sigh.....
I now see the futility of arguing on the internet. I have a low post count for exactly this reason. Sarcasm On/
Ok, you all caught me. I was busy shooting at school buses full of special needs children with a .50 cal sniper rifle, and stomping live kittens and puppies when the deputies showed up.
Satan is my best friend and I supported the 9/11 attacks with my friends in Iran. Sarcasm Off/

Once again, for those who cannot read.
There are NO laws against discharging a firearms where I live. I know the laws here. There is no city that I am a part of that has a local ordinance. I live down a one way road, and my driveway is fucking gravel, so lets try to get past the 3 acres thing. I live in the country. I own 3 acres, I am not shooting across 3 acres. I have never shot any of my firearms in the direction of any people or dwellings. I shot into the ground. You know that hard, dirty thing under your feet when you are outside? There were no rocks for it to bounce off of. It made a hole in the ground. Are we fairly clear on that now? Shotgun-into the ground-made a hole. Never were there any people in danger, and I even had safety glasses on. I made several loud noises, and that is why the deputies showed up. If I had a silencer, then no one would have known I was shooting. Wait.....once more. I did not shoot in the direction of any person, pet, dwelling, car, crops, etc.
Ok, does that help?

You are avoiding the question.

Are there ANY dwellings or buildings, not owned by you, within 100 yards of your property?

If there are, you may very well be breaking a law or two...

There is one building, but please show me this law that states there is a minimum distance for shooting. I have spent the last few hours doing a search on Indiana laws, and there are no such distance laws. There is a law about knowingly pointing a weapon at a person, but that did not happen.
FWIW, I used to live about 3 miles away, closer to town, and regularly shot my AR in my back yard with out one single complaint or visit.
I understand there are people who must find guilt when there is none because they have to justify their opinion.
This is a gun-friendly area. I will speak to the County Attorney tomorrow. I am also pro-cop, but anti-dumbass.

I don't think the majority here thinks there's guilt where there is none, some not all. But I think the real problem is being ignored and thats the fact that you have someone doing some complaining about you. Right wrong or indifferent they are who caused your encounter with the Deputies. Even if you are completly legal those nosy neighbors can be a problem if they keep calling.
Link Posted: 9/7/2009 6:18:53 PM EDT
[#19]
Sounds to me as if a neighbor didn't like the noise.  I'd bet they weren't really that worried about you shooting something, it was just annoying them.

Your best bet is to talk to the Sheriff.
Link Posted: 9/7/2009 6:26:34 PM EDT
[#20]
I think if there was a chance that you were actually breaking any laws or doing anything obviously unsafe, there would have been no need for the deputy to say "build a case."

I will leave you with a wish for good luck tomorrow, hope you get it all cleared up.

Link Posted: 9/7/2009 6:29:06 PM EDT
[#21]
same shit happened to me (i live in marion county though)  Anyway, i live outside 465 and was shooting into a perfectly legal backdrop, sheriffs came and made us quit.  Called around and had a IMPD officer come out and inspect the range and then wrote a report stating it was "legal".  needless to say, first cop came over pissed the after i started shooting 2 weeks after the first incident, i showed him hte paper and he just said, "fine how about being a public nusance"?  I just thought wtf and started going to my farm in Morgan county
Link Posted: 9/7/2009 6:31:03 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

contact the sheriff and file a complaint about the officers remarks. See where that takes you.

Yup.
Link Posted: 9/7/2009 6:45:41 PM EDT
[#23]
I had a coyote problem last year....called DNR, state police, etc. and they all told me to check with the local county gov. for the laws governing my back yard...finally tracked down someone who says...since my yard is 3+ acres, in Oakland County, and specifically in my little section of the county where all the lots are large, it's OK to shoot varmints on my own land with rim fire or shotgun, not center fire (this I had to deduce since there's a state law making centerfire illegal this far south).

Now, I've heard neighbors shooting .22 or shotguns in the past, so I know people are doing this. But it's not frequent.

I went another route with the yotes so didn't have to shoot them (got a big dog). Haven't seen em since. But finding what the law is can be a real challenge... I had to call 3 offices and check a couple website to make sure one wasn't clashing with another ordinance...

It's my opinion that laws multiply because people continue to lose common sense and self-control, leading to gross abuses, which leads to others passing new laws just for that one or two bad apples....
Link Posted: 9/7/2009 6:45:52 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:
never ever leave your house to talk to them.

EVER!

This x 10

Just tell them your fine where you are and ask what you can do for them. They can not compel you to exit your house without a warrant.

Uhhh....yes I can...as  for the disarming part...Uhh...yes i can....To the OP, if you feel that the Deputies were unprofessional, then by all means, complain to the High Sheriff or his Chief Deputy of your county. Keep in mind, and it's been my experience, that what is called in to dispatch, ie, "They're shootin up the whole yard and they got kids over there too!!!" is very rarly the case when the Officers get to the call. As for my personal opinion, I could give a fuck if you order a truck load of #8 shot shells and plow your yard with your shotgun....$.02
Link Posted: 9/8/2009 1:19:20 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:
File a complaint about the "build a case" threat, that way its on file if they ever decide to try and build a case, lol.

ESPECIALLY if you can have a witness testify - 'build a case' could be construed as falsifying a report, since you were not doing anything illegal.

The paranoia runs deep around here......

Brian

Link Posted: 9/8/2009 1:21:45 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Call the Sheriff to set up an appointment to complain!

This is INDIANA!!!  Not CA, NJ, MA

If you want to set up your clay thrower on your property and shoot through a whole fucking box of shells you can.

I would make a complaint that you do not like the deputies attitude towards you doing something completely legal on your own property, and if any further harrassment takes place, your attorney is ready to file suit.

What exactly would your attorney be filing suit over if the SO is investigating complaints of shots fired?

Brian

How about the fact that "shots fired" isn't a violation or even Probable Cause in a vast majority of the United States for starters?

The cops were most likely responding to a call about shots fired from a citizen/taxpayer - do you really think the call will be ignored?  Do you know the difference between reasonable suspicion and probable cause?

Brian

Link Posted: 9/8/2009 1:30:27 AM EDT
[#27]
Stop by a Lowes or Home Depot buy one 5lb bag of sand keep it on the front porch, next time they show up. Point to bag, tell em to pound away.
Link Posted: 9/8/2009 1:32:10 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Get a supressor

I also own a SPX, please link me to a can that fits on it.

Link Posted: 9/8/2009 1:44:52 AM EDT
[#29]
I want to hear the follow up story.....
Link Posted: 9/8/2009 1:59:22 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I see a couple scenarios here.

Some jerk is taking offense and he migh know a deputy or 2 and got them to intimidate you.

The other thing is that the same jerk has called so often that the deputies came out just to get the jerk off of their asses.

First thing I'd research is who has moved in recently. Good chance there's where the trouble lies.

If you said you live in NC, first thing I'd ask is "who recently moved there from New Jersey?"

Hey now!  Don't get personal.  
Link Posted: 9/8/2009 2:07:03 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

He lives two counties east of me.

Go to the Sheriff's Department.  Ask for a printed copy of that day's log...you don't need a reason.

See which neighbor has it out for you.

Link Posted: 9/8/2009 2:08:27 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks for the replies. I will go and talk to the Sheriff and County Prosecutor tomorrow. I will update what I find out.

Definitely do that, although I would do as others have suggested and first research the laws of your county/state so you sound like you know what you're talking about. I would also submit a written statement documenting the deputy's threats and behavior, for future use. I would furthermore ask for a copy of the incident report, that may or may not have been completed, and that will probably tell who the complainant was. Now, don't go and abuse that information, but use it to build a defense should it later come to charges. I.e., "There's no way that Mrs. XXX could have been in danger because I was shooting in a direction opposite of her home." That kind of thing.

I'm LE, and I've responded to countless calls of this nature. Most of the time I don't even bother obtaining much info, because there's little that can be done in most unincorporated areas without someone (or someone's property) being damaged. I hate to see good folks being harangued by sorry do-good neighbors.
No reason to talk to the prosecutor.

The officers didn't even get a case number.

Link Posted: 9/8/2009 2:22:11 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

I had a coyote problem last year....called DNR, state police, etc. and they all told me to check with the local county gov. for the laws governing my back yard...finally tracked down someone who says...since my yard is 3+ acres, in Oakland County, and specifically in my little section of the county where all the lots are large, it's OK to shoot varmints on my own land with rim fire or shotgun, not center fire (this I had to deduce since there's a state law making centerfire illegal this far south).

Now, I've heard neighbors shooting .22 or shotguns in the past, so I know people are doing this. But it's not frequent.

I went another route with the yotes so didn't have to shoot them (got a big dog). Haven't seen em since. But finding what the law is can be a real challenge... I had to call 3 offices and check a couple website to make sure one wasn't clashing with another ordinance...

It's my opinion that laws multiply because people continue to lose common sense and self-control, leading to gross abuses, which leads to others passing new laws just for that one or two bad apples....
Even if your municipality has restrictions on discharge and type of
weapons, you must be 450 feet from any building to discharge any
firearm or bow while attempting to take game, or have written
permission from the landowner. This is the Safety Zone as it is defined
by Michigan code. It does not apply to target shooting.

Link Posted: 9/8/2009 3:38:40 AM EDT
[#34]
You were obviously messing with some well connected moles.
Link Posted: 9/8/2009 3:46:43 AM EDT
[#35]

I would do this......Mag dump from each of my four ARs then a nice 30 round bump fire from my AK. Then when the cops show up shoot the 2 lb tannerite at the end of the driveway.

That should resolve everything.

But seriously, I have 1.5 acres and fire all of my evil black rifles on it all the time into a nice sized backstop. The laws in my area simply say that I can fire my guns at least 50 yrs away from the road and in a safe direction not toward any houses or people. I dont fire on sundays out of respect for the church about a mile away............My neighbors have no problems with me.

Link Posted: 9/8/2009 3:50:52 AM EDT
[#36]

How far are you from the next occupied dwelling.  In NC I believe you are in violation of the law if you are shooting within 1000 feet of an occupied dwelling (other than your own)....does your state have any such law?
Link Posted: 9/8/2009 3:53:42 AM EDT
[#37]
Video tape the next encounter and tell them they need to talk to your lawyer from now on and not you directly
Link Posted: 9/8/2009 3:58:46 AM EDT
[#38]
I would have started shooting again as soon as they left.
Link Posted: 9/8/2009 4:02:01 AM EDT
[#39]
Sounds like the the case with that poor guy from PA. Next thing you know they will tell you that the shot hit a rock did a backflip and went 20 miles into Grandma Smith's leg. Then not do any testing to see if it was from your gun.
Link Posted: 9/8/2009 4:21:39 AM EDT
[#40]
There is one answer to this and that is:

TANNERITE FTMFW!!!
Link Posted: 9/8/2009 4:36:18 AM EDT
[#41]
"build a case against you"???  tell the fucker to go build a case against the donuts he shoves in his suckhole! likely some asshole with a chip on his shoulder, as pretty much any Sheriffs deputy I've met is pretty laid back, more so than you typical city/county beat cop.
Link Posted: 9/8/2009 5:08:08 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

How far are you from the next occupied dwelling.  In NC I believe you are in violation of the law if you are shooting within 1000 feet of an occupied dwelling (other than your own)....does your state have any such law?

Indiana has no such law

Link Posted: 9/8/2009 5:40:30 AM EDT
[#43]
Just another case of why I am going to pick up a digital voice recorder to record every conversation I ever have with an officer.  

"Excuse me sir, could you repeat that part about "building a case" again into the microphone."
Link Posted: 9/8/2009 5:58:13 AM EDT
[#44]

Only 2 pages in and this thread has already exceeded my recommended daily allowance of wtf.

Link Posted: 9/8/2009 6:26:22 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Indiana has no such law

I find this a bit hard to believe, as it's pretty common everywhere.

Now, a lot of the statutes that declare a "legal distance from a dwelling", are usually buried deep within the hunting regulations.

But do not, for one second, think that "because you're not hunting" the law does not pertain to you in this case. It's a simple case of safety.

Link Posted: 9/8/2009 6:32:23 AM EDT
[#46]
OP, you have failed to satisfy our violent neanderthal fantasy.

When the deputy asked you to leave your weapon inside, you had a patriotic duty to shout at him Dennis Leary style "I don't drop my fuckin' gun!"  And when you didn't point at his partner and shout "You gonna get raped" you should have known that your story wasn't worth posting.
Link Posted: 9/8/2009 7:00:26 AM EDT
[#47]
I talked to the County Attorney this morning, and they agreed with me that there was no reason for the officer to say what he said, and there are no laws against what I was doing. The are going to investigate the incident and want me to contact them back tomorrow.
I simply want an apology and to be left alone when I am doing nothing wrong. Thanks for the advice ARFCOM.
Link Posted: 9/8/2009 7:00:38 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I live in Harrison County, Indiana. It is a farming area, with the closest town some 8-10 miles away from me. I have around a 3 acre yard. Yesterday, I had my Mossberg 930 SPX out killing moles that tear up my back yard. I probably shot 5 times into the ground at a better than 45 degree angle. The were no ricochets, as I would have gotten struck. I then shot a few rotten tomatoes from my garden that were on the ground. This is normal for me. I shoot at least once a day on my property. I am very careful about where my shots go, and I can account for each one when I pull the trigger. I also carry openly when I am on my property, as the moles don't keep scheduled hunting hours.
I have people who live around me, and they also shoot from time to time. So I was curious yesterday when I seen 2 deputies driving around like they were looking for something, as they rarely come around here. I had already finished shooting, and was entertaining family friends inside, when someone knocked on the door. I go to the door, and there are two deputies outside. One is facing the door, the other is beside the door hiding. I can see him through the window however. The one deputy facing the door yells for me to leave my gun inside(my M&P 357 sig in a desantis IWB rig) So, I slowly remove the entire holster and set it on my bookcase by the door and walk outside.
The first deputy asked me if I was the homeowner, to which I replied "yes, I am". He asked me for my license which I produced and gave to the other deputy. Then the first deputy started on a rant on how dangerous I was, and how there were children around and that they had gone code three to get here, and endangered other people going code three, because I was shooting.  I tried to politely tell the deputy that I was very safe when I shoot, and was not aware there was any law I had broken in doing so. He replied that if this happens again, he will come out and "build a case" against me. I realize it does no good arguing in a situation like this, so I simply said "fair enough".  They left, and I have been so fucking mad that I fear I may bust a vein. I support what these guys do, but i did nothing incorrect or unlawful.

Now, I simply ask for advice on what to do next. There are no laws around here that prohibit shooting. This is somewhat of a good ol' boy network, and I am an outsider for the most part.

Consult lawyer on law in your area to make sure you're in the legal clear.  The file a complaint with the sheriff if you are.
Link Posted: 9/8/2009 7:02:10 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 9/8/2009 7:11:48 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
I talked to the County Attorney this morning, and they agreed with me that there was no reason for the officer to say what he said, and there are no laws against what I was doing. The are going to investigate the incident and want me to contact them back tomorrow.
I simply want an apology and to be left alone when I am doing nothing wrong. Thanks for the advice ARFCOM.

This sounds good.  It sounded as if the cop was taking this just a little to personal for there not to be something else going on, such as his friend or relative not liking you shooting.  Maybe the cop is one of those types that don't like citizens to have firearms.  It any case, with the County Attorney looking into it I doubt the cop will be overstepping his authority in the future.
Page / 6
Top Top