Link Posted: 6/19/2020 7:24:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/19/2020 8:42:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 6/19/2020 9:07:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Maybe I'm a little slow.....is this the new GWAC MkIII?
View Quote

No.  GWACS folded.  KE Ams improved the design w/ a better pistol grip.
Link Posted: 6/19/2020 9:15:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
The MK1's were bolted together right?

Pics?

They're almost collectors items now
View Quote

Motown_Steve gave me one but I can't find where I put it right now.
Link Posted: 6/19/2020 9:17:52 PM EDT
[#5]
I’m a CavArms Lowe fan. I wonder what this one will weigh in at.
Link Posted: 6/19/2020 9:23:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

AR15COM18 is good at KEArms.com for 15% off
View Quote
What's the fire control pocket look like?
Link Posted: 6/19/2020 9:32:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 6/20/2020 10:24:36 AM EDT
[#8]
I'll be picking at least one up I like the old GWACS I have on my 18" lightweight hunting rig and this is just a modern improvement.
Link Posted: 6/20/2020 10:33:55 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Like a regular fire control pocket with radius's and drafts to be releasable out of a mold.

The outside is reinforced.
View Quote

What’s the weight of this lower compared to a Mk2?
Link Posted: 6/20/2020 11:11:44 AM EDT
[#10]
So no product yet and still making or adjusting the molds. After that still need to evaluate what’s comes out of the molds and may need further mods.

I wonder when an actual product for sale will be available. Also no news on what the buttplate that comes with it will look like or what size it will be.  If the stock with a plate are longer than an A1 I’m out.
Link Posted: 6/20/2020 11:33:22 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 6/20/2020 11:37:28 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 6/20/2020 11:40:56 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
https://sinistralrifleman.files.wordpress.com/2013/01/cav-15-00.jpg

From sinistralrifleman website back in the day.
View Quote

The colored stocks were kewl. Bought an A1 stock from Cavalry that I'm still totally satisfied with.
Link Posted: 6/20/2020 11:51:07 AM EDT
[#14]
I'm in. Ordered stripped lower and the KP parts kit yesterday. I really hope this "late July" thing isn't BS.

Thanks!

Quoted:
Lots of negativity towards the design in this thread.   If you don't believe in it that's fine.  Please consider buying one of our Aluminum lowers, triggers, or anything else we make using our code AR15COM18 for 15% off.

For the nay sayers saying they can get aluminum lowers now for $39.00 whats the point?  You are currently experiencing market conditions that will likely never again be replicated.  Those market conditions are currently changing well ahead of the normal election season panic.  
Raw materials in the form of aluminum forgings and billet evaporate during panic cycles.  Machine shops take 35-40 minutes to complete a forging to 100%, an hour or more for billet.

The injection molding process allows us to make a receiver every 60 seconds.  The receiver eliminates the need for separate components that also need to be machined or molded separately.  

MSRP of $99.95 includes features
Flared Magwell-You'd pay $200-250 for a billet lower with the same feature
Modern Grip and Winter Trigger Guard-$25-30
Buffer Tube-$20.00
Buttstock with the ability to accept QD Sockets and MLOK Accessories -$40.00
Pivot and Take Down Pins-$10.00 (machined separately)

...and its making all of these components, except the pins, with the receiver every 60 seconds.

If you don't understand the benefit to that, I guess you didn't live through Barackalypse Part 1, Part 2, or The Coming Doom of Hillary.

If you have product questions please ask them in the industry forum here: https://www.ar15.com/forums/Industry/Polymer-Receiver-Update/749-296126/
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/20/2020 11:51:25 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Like a regular fire control pocket with radius's and drafts to be releasable out of a mold.

The outside is reinforced.
View Quote

As soon as Brownells has these for sale I'm driving down there and picking up two. I appreciate you bringing these back!
Link Posted: 6/20/2020 11:53:10 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 6/20/2020 1:17:31 PM EDT
[#17]
In one of the videos it was mentioned that the original Cav-15 was designed when .45 acp conversions using grease gun magazines were the rage, so the Cav-15 magwell was designed to use them. Now that .45 acp conversions using grease gun mags isn't a big market anymore, the larger magwell has been deleted.

I see the largest hurdle for this rifle is that it appears to be a niche product. The pistol grip and buttstock are integral, in a market where the vast majority of rifles have adjustable stocks and changeable pistol grips. And even those rifles with fixed stocks can be changed out if the owner so desires. One of the best features of the AR platform is the modularity, even if this was a byproduct of the original design rather than by intention.

ETA: perhaps the stock, since integral, could have been made shorter, so that spacers could be used to lengthen if need be. Or will there be an aftermarket for shortening stocks, as was with the original Cav-15?
Link Posted: 6/20/2020 1:41:32 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 6/20/2020 1:55:23 PM EDT
[#19]
Glad to see you back in the game, Russel. My wife is still thrilled with her yellow Cav Arms rifle all these years later.
Link Posted: 6/20/2020 2:19:23 PM EDT
[#20]
So will the stock be A1 length without a plate installed or will it be the same length as an A1 with installed plate?

I would have preferred a shorter stock. Since it uses a carbine buffer why not make it shorter and use spacers To  make it longer. By my informal obs most prefer a shorter stock, even shorter than an A1.  

Also it looks like a buttplate either A1 or A2 adds $ 20-30 more to the price making it less appealing.
Link Posted: 6/20/2020 3:04:56 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 6/20/2020 3:14:14 PM EDT
[#22]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
So will the stock be A1 length without a plate installed or will it be the same length as an A1 with installed plate?

I would have preferred a shorter stock. Since it uses a carbine buffer why not make it shorter and use spacers To  make it longer. By my informal obs most prefer a shorter stock, even shorter than an A1.  

Also it looks like a buttplate either A1 or A2 adds $ 20-30 more to the price making it less appealing.

$12.49

https://www.cavmfg.com/images/1380042943994-1903577815.jpeg
Plus $4.20 (I kid you not) shipping for a total of $16.69. Pretty close to the guestimate of $20. Plus, I am not sure that is an actual A1 buttplate or the Cavarms "A1 style" rubber plate that came with their rifles.
Link Posted: 6/20/2020 3:26:23 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 6/20/2020 3:31:50 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Plus $4.20 (I kid you not) shipping for a total of $16.69. Pretty close to the guestimate of $20. Plus, I am not sure that is an actual A1 buttplate or the Cavarms "A1 style" rubber plate that came with their rifles.
View Quote

I have one from my old Cav arms. It’s soft flexible rubber with a “living” flexible hinge. It’s barely worth $10.

I guess I will see what KE comes up with. May need to try to shorten on my own and shape a pachmayer pad to it.
Link Posted: 6/20/2020 3:32:06 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 6/20/2020 3:33:34 PM EDT
[#26]
Also, in true Brownell's/AR-15.com institution, the stripped lower should have been $87
Link Posted: 6/20/2020 3:34:37 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
If  I  recall, the MKIII Prototype from Cav-Arms before their shutdown was a Sully Stock Design with spacers.
View Quote

I had a Sully at one time. It was really too short and surprisingly heavy. I think it was similar in LOP to an RRA Entry stock.
Link Posted: 6/20/2020 5:39:29 PM EDT
[#28]
I guess I don’t get all the haters.

They are offering a unique option for the market at a reasonable price when there is a panic going on.

If you don’t like it, don’t buy one, but don’t criticize KE for offering another option, especially if they can churn out thousands of them quickly if there is demand.

My son and I did a Four day carbine class with a couple of Light weight rifles built on The Sabre defense lowers from cav arms that got closed out a few years ago along with some PSA pencil barrel uppers.  It wasn’t a particularly high round count class- maybe just under 1000 rounds each, but we had no issues.  Can’t beat that for a $400 or so gun. They make for a great light weight build.
Link Posted: 6/20/2020 10:48:09 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

They are offering a unique option for the market at a reasonable price when there is a panic going on.

If you don’t like it, don’t buy one, but don’t criticize KE for offering another option, especially if they can churn out thousands of them quickly if there is demand.

My son and I did a Four day carbine class with a couple of Light weight rifles built on The Sabre defense lowers from cav arms that got closed out a few years ago along with some PSA pencil barrel uppers.  It wasn’t a particularly high round count class- maybe just under 1000 rounds each, but we had no issues.  Can’t beat that for a $400 or so gun. They make for a great light weight build.
View Quote

This is exactly why I'm getting the KP. It may not be tier1, but it's cheap enough, should be rugged enough, should be light enough, and with a basic lightweight upper should be reliable enough to put in the hands of my kids or in-laws for a basic class or two.

Seems to me like the KP could be the equivalent(actually far superior) of the $100 SKS from days gone by. Cheap and plentiful. Reliable to a fault.   I'm certainly willing to give it a chance to try out for the role at the current pricing.
Link Posted: 6/20/2020 11:06:16 PM EDT
[#30]
Like anything new, time will tell if the dimensions, welding of the halves together, and QC are up to snuff, but the fact that you have someone involved who goes all the way back to the cav arms days and likely lived through whatever growing pains they had is a good predictor that they might get this right the first time.
Link Posted: 6/20/2020 11:13:15 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:  I guess I don’t get all the haters.

View Quote

1) It's different.

2) It's polymer, even though most polymer AR haters have been shooting polymer pistols for decades now.

3) GD loves to hate everything it doesn't understand, whether it's Satanists, manufacturing, or wemin.
Link Posted: 6/20/2020 11:20:29 PM EDT
[#32]
Does it float?  The rate at which folks on here have boating accidents , I'd like a Sport Utility Rifle that I wouldn't have to dive in after.
Link Posted: 6/20/2020 11:24:01 PM EDT
[#33]
Backbencher, I think you helped get the Sabre defense lower sales going- thanks for doing that.

I would never have bought a polymer lower until I saw the WWSD video where they abused them.  In my mind when you design something new like that with a new material you don’t really know how it is going to stand up until you get it into the real world.  Cav arms seemed to get a lot right given how well they stand up to abuse.

ETA:  I am not a big Carl fan either, but this isn’t all about him.
Link Posted: 6/21/2020 12:21:29 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:  Backbencher, I think you helped get the Sabre defense lower sales going- thanks for doing that.

I would never have bought a polymer lower until I saw the WWSD video where they abused them.  In my mind when you design something new like that with a new material you don’t really know how it is going to stand up until you get it into the real world.  Cav arms seemed to get a lot right given how well they stand up to abuse.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xjhvi8c0MF4

ETA:  I am not a big Carl fan either, but this isn’t all about him.
View Quote

Quite welcome - it was a favor for a friend who had nearly 2000 lowers that weren't selling, and drove him nuts every ATF audit where he had to account for each lower by SN.  He ended up w/ no money in them, hence the blowout.  I only have a few left - I gave almost all the ones I got away.  Tomorrow going to shoot one of the ones he gave me for my wedding.

I'm a big Karl fan primarily b/c he gets GD's jimmies in an uproar, and can outshoot well more than 87% of GD.  That he associates w/ Ian and KE Arms is a bonus.
Link Posted: 6/21/2020 6:29:12 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
My preferred configuration is a fixed, A1 length stock. So this will work out just fine.
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/21/2020 9:58:32 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 6/21/2020 1:53:15 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 6/21/2020 2:19:25 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote

I was going to say the same thing. I also don’t get the whining about the $99 cost. Doesn’t seem out of line to me. Is half of GD on freaking food stamps now?
Link Posted: 6/21/2020 5:34:56 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

I was going to say the same thing. I also don't get the whining about the $99 cost. Doesn't seem out of line to me. Is half of GD on freaking food stamps now?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I guess I don't get all the haters.

If you don't like it, don't buy one, but don't criticize KE for offering another option, especially if they can churn out thousands of them quickly if there is demand.

I was going to say the same thing. I also don't get the whining about the $99 cost. Doesn't seem out of line to me. Is half of GD on freaking food stamps now?

If it were Geissele, people would be talking about the incredible deal it represents.
Link Posted: 6/21/2020 5:58:25 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

1) It's different.

2) It's polymer, even though most polymer AR haters have been shooting polymer pistols for decades now.

3) GD loves to hate everything it doesn't understand, whether it's Satanists, manufacturing, or wemin.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:  I guess I don’t get all the haters.

1) It's different.

Who you kidding?

There ain't no understanding women. With the exception of understanding there is no understanding women.
Link Posted: 6/21/2020 9:08:42 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

If it were Geissele, people would be talking about the incredible deal it represents.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I guess I don't get all the haters.

If you don't like it, don't buy one, but don't criticize KE for offering another option, especially if they can churn out thousands of them quickly if there is demand.

I know right I'm almost feeling like I have to build a rifle with one of these from all the hate.
Link Posted: 6/22/2020 10:44:50 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 6/26/2020 9:01:27 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote

Shameless bumping, I like it

I would love an Mk3 - but I still have 19 unbuilt Sabre lowers from the deal of the century in 2017.

I do have LPK's on the way to start finishing them out - but my blems needs pins and buttplates and Cav Mfg is coming up on 3 weeks since my order with no shipping or even response to emails.

I'm trying to keep these builds affordable and Cav Mfg has the best price by far I've found on a complete buttplate (with trapdoor, sling swivel, and screws).
Link Posted: 6/26/2020 10:07:41 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

I would love an Mk3 - but I still have 19 unbuilt Sabre lowers from the deal of the century in 2017.

I do have LPK's on the way to start finishing them out - but my blems needs pins and buttplates and Cav Mfg is coming up on 3 weeks since my order with no shipping or even response to emails.

I'm trying to keep these builds affordable and Cav Mfg has the best price by far I've found on a complete buttplate (with trapdoor, sling swivel, and screws).
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I would be surprised if CavMFG ever ships.
Link Posted: 6/26/2020 10:15:43 AM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 6/29/2020 3:58:15 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View Quote

I emailed and never heard anything.  I figured they were out of business.  

I'm using a pair of 1/4 clevis pins and a slip on buttpad from a shotgun if it fits  Otgheriwse, I have tons of 4x4s I can use to improvise
Link Posted: 6/29/2020 4:19:18 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
https://sinistralrifleman.files.wordpress.com/2013/01/cav-15-00.jpg

From sinistralrifleman website back in the day.
View Quote

Did he ever sell all those GI Joes?
Link Posted: 6/29/2020 10:41:27 PM EDT
[#48]

It's long w/ many geeky mold engineering moments.  No, there will not be an 80%.  No, there will not be a version w/ a replaceable pistol grip.  No, they're not producing a ban state version directly - they tried.
Link Posted: 6/29/2020 11:10:22 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQGa7zNxCCs

It's long w/ many geeky mold engineering moments.  No, there will not be an 80%.  No, there will not be a version w/ a replaceable pistol grip.  No, they're not producing a ban state version directly - they tried.
View Quote
That isn't Russell. It is his robotic twin. Anyone who knows Russell knows he never laughs.
Link Posted: 6/29/2020 11:33:39 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
it was mentioned in the video that they are holding off on the pin placement until they have run a few through so they can verify the shrinkage
View Quote

I was in the pool!
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top