Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 5:04:18 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Goes to show you when you combine two piss-poor ideas (public mass transportation & unions) you have an impending disaster.

What's wrong with public mass transit?  The city flat out doesn't work without it.  Would you prefer it be privatized?  They tried that, the NYC currently public subway is actually a combination of three separate formerly "competing" private rail systems, which resulted in idiocy like incompatible railcar/tunnel size specifications and electrical supply, and piss poor connections between the lines in some areas, which make getting between seemingly close locations in the city an exercise in frustration.  Some things are a natural monopoly.

I disagree, if a private company ran it, there wouldn't be the type of problems you see right now.

Three private companies used to run it, and screwed the pooch.

Given the overwhelming level of government regulation involved, it was practically run by the government even though they tried hard to make it look like it was privatized.  Remove all government regulation and watch the transit system flourish.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 5:26:00 AM EDT
[#2]
Where's Hitlery during all this? I'm sure she could fix it...............
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 5:28:49 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 5:46:54 AM EDT
[#4]
The simple solution is for management to fire the transit workers and hire replacements.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 5:49:04 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Never understood why/how they could justify SHUTTING DOWN a department of what, 50k people, all told, from drivers/operators to cleaning staff, preventing some 10+ million people from getting around, over some minor bullshit quabble...

Because they are not slaves or soldiers. Free men can decide whether or not they feel like going to work on any given day.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 5:51:58 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
As I understand it they are legally prohibited from striking...

Can someone explain to me how a civilian can be "legally prohibited" from not going to work?

I'm having a really hard time wrapping my head around the concept of free men being forced to work at the threat of fines or jail.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 5:56:28 AM EDT
[#7]
Fire the transit workers...
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 5:57:40 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Can someone explain to me how a civilian can be "legally prohibited" from not going to work?

I'm having a really hard time wrapping my head around the concept of free men being forced to work at the threat of fines or jail.

\

Because they are public workers and it is in their contract.

Wrap your head around that.

If they don't like it they are "free" to find work elsewhere.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 6:06:44 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

\

Because they are public workers and it is in their contract.

Wrap your head around that.

If they don't like it they are "free" to find work elsewhere.

No, if they were "free" to find works elsewhere they employer would simply fire them instead of using the courts to criminalize the simple act of not showing up for work.

Have you ever told an employer that you could not continue to work for them unless they gave you a raise or some other job improvement?  Thats the same thing these guys are doing.

Should you be fined 1 million next time you tell the boss "I need a raise or I cant work here anymore."
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 6:10:33 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

They aren't required to work.  They are required to not strike.  If they don't want to work, they can quit their jobs, but they are not allowed to strike.  They aren't allowed because they agreed to that when they were hired.  They signed a piece of paper that says, "I agree to not strike.  If I do, damnation and a bigass fine be upon me."  They striked, so they get a bigass fine.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 6:14:53 AM EDT
[#11]
That judge napolitano or whatever his name is was on Fox Friends this morning and 'splained it.

The union is prohibited from striking (its a criminal offense) and he said all those people could be charged with the criminal offense (I forget what it was).

They were asking for people to email them and tell them their thoughts on the situation and the comments that all the people striking should be fired.

I remember when UPS was on strike...I wish they had fired everyone of them.

Link Posted: 12/21/2005 6:15:55 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Quoted:
They signed a piece of paper that says, "I agree to not strike.  If I do, damnation and a bigass fine be upon me."  

So each employee signed a contract agreing to civil penalties for not showing up for work?  Are you sure about that?  I'm a public employee and in a union and have never sign such a document. Plus they are talking about criminal penalties on the news, not civil penalties.

Who decides if its a strike versus just a larger than normal number of guys deciding to take the day off? Shouldnt the employers response to unplanned days off simply be firing the employee for not performing?  Why do the courts have to be involved in the process at all?
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 6:17:22 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
That judge napolitano or whatever his name is was on Fox Friends this morning and 'splained it.

The union is prohibited from striking (its a criminal offense)

Criminal, not civil.  Criminal like when a soldier goes AWOL or a slave ran off.  How can it be a crime for an employee to decide not to go to work today?
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 6:20:05 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Criminal, not civil.  Criminal like when a soldier goes AWOL or a slave ran off.  How can it be a crime for an employee to decide not to go to work today?

BECAUSE HE IS TAKING PART IN STRIKE.   HE WAS ORDERED NOT TO DO SO BY A COURT.  Now they are in contempt.

Pretty simple really.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 6:25:18 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

BECAUSE HE IS TAKING PART IN STRIKE.   HE WAS ORDERED NOT TO DO SO BY A COURT.  Now they are in contempt.

Pretty simple really.

So the Criminal courts should have the right to force you, with the implied threat of jail, to go to work?
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 6:43:14 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Pretty simple really.

So the Criminal courts should have the right to force you, with the implied threat of jail, to go to work?

In violation of a court order, the transit workers are placing the general public at risk (it is Winter in NYC ya know, and hypothermia & heart attacks kill just as dead as lead - wonder how many commuters will die thanks to the selfish lot holding the city hostage)

Could make a pretty good argument that what the TWU is doing amounts to terrorism, and charge them accordingly.

Link Posted: 12/21/2005 6:58:47 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

If you're gonna take the State's Shilling, and sign a contract saying you won't strike, then yeah.

Link Posted: 12/21/2005 7:23:28 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Pretty simple really.

When the act you plan to commit is in violation of state law.  You are then told that it is and ordered not to do so by the court in which you argued your case.  You then proceeed to do exactly what that court ordered you not to do in clear contempt of the order....?  damn skippy they get to force you.  Where is this threat of jail anyway?  I see fines not prison time.

In AR15fan land, what other court orders do I get to ignore with impunity?  Maybe we could start a list.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 7:37:49 AM EDT
[#19]
NYC better pray that a major Snow storm doesn't hit during the strike.
Can you say "paralyzed"?
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 8:14:17 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 8:17:46 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
what nuts to me is how much of a raise they want about 8 % per year for 3 years, if that was me it would mean a rasie of 16 thousand over 3 years, thats a real nice chunk of change. nothing like raises that are more than what some body at McDs make a year.

8%

EIGHT PERCENT?

Heck, the ARMY only gets 3%, and that's 'slightly above' the national average...

The strike has allready been declared illegal, and there's a court ordered million-plus fine per day imposed... Fuck 'em, fire 'em, replace 'em...
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 8:30:46 AM EDT
[#22]
Also...

THIS MAKES ME VERY GLAD TO LIVE IN A CITY WITH LITTLE TO NO MASS TRANSIT....

There's no such thing as a car strike....

Shows what happens when you rely on someone else to get you places....

And just think, the libbies want EVERY city to be just like NY...
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 10:08:02 AM EDT
[#23]
A lot of the older fellaz in my church work for the TA.  The majority of them don't want to strike but said they'd get fucked up by the unions for crossing the line...
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 10:27:53 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Because they are not slaves or soldiers. Free men can decide whether or not they feel like going to work on any given day.

Yeah, but where I come from that's called "quitting".  

Don't want to work there? Fine. But don't be suprised when someone else takes your job.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 10:33:29 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
A lot of the older fellaz in my church work for the TA.  The majority of them don't want to strike but said they'd get fucked up by the unions for crossing the line...

They elected their union leadership.

Doubt if they will get much sympathy from the millions who have to put up with their (or their leaders') tantrum, especially timed right at Christmas.

Link Posted: 12/21/2005 10:34:34 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Also...

THIS MAKES ME VERY GLAD TO LIVE IN A CITY WITH LITTLE TO NO MASS TRANSIT....

There's no such thing as a car strike....

Shows what happens when you rely on someone else to get you places....

And just think, the libbies want EVERY city to be just like NY...

One of the things i love about living here is mass transit.  I grew up in Houston and i love being able to walk 5 minutes to a train station and go where ever I want for less than $2 each way 24 hours a day.  Everytime I go home to visit I notice how much fatter the people are from never walking anywhere
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 10:38:32 AM EDT
[#27]
I have freight to pick up in NYC, and NONE of my freight carriers are going in!  All their websites say "NYC Embargoed", wonder if I can sue MTA because of loss of revenue if my customers cancel orders?
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 10:41:03 AM EDT
[#28]
Oh come on now ar15fan, you know if the judges tells you to “go arrest those criminals” you will be on it like flies to honey, probably give em a good tasering too if they dis ya!

Just kidding AR15, I couldn’t resist it.

Rich V
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 10:41:37 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
I have freight to pick up in NYC, and NONE of my freight carriers are going in!  All their websites say "NYC Embargoed", wonder if I can sue MTA because of loss of revenue if my customers cancel orders?

I don't know about freight but all my carriers are working fine in Manhattan. Got a few hundred pounds of computer hardware delivered yesterday and expecting another batch today.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 10:43:13 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

The only time vehicles cant go into the city with less than 4 people is between 5am and 11am
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 10:56:13 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Pretty simple really.

AR15fan,

I know you're smarter than you're making yourself look right now.

It is not against the law to quit your job.  It is not against the law to call in sick.  It is not against teh law to take vacation that you have accrued.

This is not, however, about individual action.  It is about organized labor.  These civil employees are, in mass, shutting down a city's mass transit system.  They are, as a group, holding a city hostage.  There are laws about holding a significant population hostage like this.

These transit workers are involved in organized thuggery.  Specifically, it's extortion.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 10:56:32 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The only time vehicles cant go into the city with less than 4 people is between 5am and 11am

I'm not talking vehicles, I'm talking tractor-trailers, none of my carriers will take any freight from NYC area zipcodes!

Link Posted: 12/21/2005 11:01:28 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm not talking vehicles, I'm talking tractor-trailers, none of my carriers will take any freight from NYC area zipcodes!

Then it must be a carrier specific thing.  Big rigs can enter Manhattan between 11am and 5am.  Are they taking loads to zipcodes outside of Manhattan?
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 11:04:43 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Then it must be a carrier specific thing.  Big rigs can enter Manhattan between 11am and 5am.  Are they taking loads to zipcodes outside of Manhattan?

All 100 series zipcodes are embargoed for the time being, with the caveat that they may extend the range depending...This is from my main freight carriers.  It seems to be a carrier specific thing, but I can't negotiate with freight companies when I need things picked up now, so another carrier won't do me any good!
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 2:00:04 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
They signed a piece of paper that says, "I agree to not strike.  If I do, damnation and a bigass fine be upon me."  

So each employee signed a contract agreing to civil penalties for not showing up for work?  Are you sure about that?  I'm a public employee and in a union and have never sign such a document. Plus they are talking about criminal penalties on the news, not civil penalties.

Who decides if its a strike versus just a larger than normal number of guys deciding to take the day off? Shouldnt the employers response to unplanned days off simply be firing the employee for not performing?  Why do the courts have to be involved in the process at all?

No individuals probably did not sign, and they also do have the right to quit and stand outside in protest, the union does not.  The union negotiated and was a signatory to the contract.  If the union leaders, whom were specifically ordered by the court to not call a strike, had stood up yesterday and said we have no connection to this action and did not offer strike pay or any benifits to the striking workers and asked them to go back to work, they wouldn't be in trouble.

Instead, the union leaders came out and stated they called the strike, they are paying strike pay, and providing other benefits to the striking workers, and thus are in direct contempt of court.  They can be arrested.

Its no different than when a court orders you out of your house and forcloses.  If you refuse to vacate, eventually the sheriff comes and arrests you.  Not for breach of contract or failure to pay your mortgage, but for contempt of court in failing to follow the court order to vacate the property.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 2:07:00 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

0612...you're not with 6th Comm over in Floyd Bennett Field, are you?
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 3:07:04 PM EDT
[#37]
Hopefully this will last long enough to burst some of that NYC housing bubble...
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 7:17:53 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
NYC better pray that a major Snow storm doesn't hit during the strike.
Can you say "paralyzed"?

Fortunately there are now several cases of mountain house in the basement.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 7:19:22 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

We're still waiting for DHL to come pick something up that we scheduled on Tuesday.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 8:05:07 PM EDT
[#40]
Here's a fun note: I went to top off my gas tank this evening, and as I hand the guy in the booth my money, he says that all they have left is premium gas.  That's fine with me, since my car needs it.  I tank up, and as I'm getting my change I ask him if he's been busy.  He gives me the most beat-up, defeated look I've ever seen, and says that he's on a 16 hour shift, and he called the company that delivers the gas, and they told him that everyone they deliver to is out of everything except premium, and they don't know when they'll be able to deliver more.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 10:57:13 PM EDT
[#41]
This crap is ghey.  

I was talking to my friend in Queens right now, and while I love her to death, she's so friggin' liberal about it... she tells me, "I wish it would end.  I don't see why they can't just give them what they want and get it overwith."  It's like, wtf?  That's how children get spoiled!  They throw tantrums and you cave.  

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't unions designed to protect a certain group from discrimination or any other deprivation of basic worker's rights?  Not meaning you're automatically entitled to bitch and moan and fuck up your entire city?
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 12:58:52 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 4:43:18 AM EDT
[#43]

NYC Faces 3rd Day Without Subways, Buses
A chief sticking point for the union has been the pension proposal to raise contributions to the pension plan for new workers from 2 percent to 6 percent. The union contends it is woefully inadequate and would be impossible to accept.

Hey I'm already paying 6% into my pension plan...I want a pension for almost free so I think I should strike too.  I hope the court does start fining the workers as well...what a bunch of lazy assed, whining, freeloaders.

Link Posted: 12/22/2005 5:47:37 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
Day 3 of the strike. Yay! 4 more hours of O/T (8 hours total so far in the "Wave's gonna get a new firearm out of this mess" fund)!!!

Hey, at least some good is coming out of this!  

Mike
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 8:25:44 AM EDT
[#45]
Stike will end!

I'll withhold celebration until I see how much the city caves.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 9:28:56 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Pretty simple really.

AR15fan,

I know you're smarter than you're making yourself look right now.

It is not against the law to quit your job.  It is not against the law to call in sick.  It is not against teh law to take vacation that you have accrued.

This is not, however, about individual action.  It is about organized labor.  These civil employees are, in mass, shutting down a city's mass transit system.  They are, as a group, holding a city hostage.  There are laws about holding a significant population hostage like this.

These transit workers are involved in organized thuggery.  Specifically, it's extortion.

Seriously, the judge I watched on Fox was saying that this was akin to organized crime...just as the mafia does...

I guess if he is a judge, he should know better than me....you can't just give in...personally I think they should fire everyone and give them a criminal record....or they can quit their job without reversion rights.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 8:54:18 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 9:04:47 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 9:10:44 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 9:14:19 PM EDT
[#50]
That would suck of the commuters decided to "strike" and nor use the Metro system for like a week.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top