Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 6:04:25 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I seem to remember reading that even the station cleaners make $45k-60+.

You could barely live on $60k/y in NYC

Bullshit. You could barely live in Midtown for $60k/y. Coming out of college I was offered $33k for a midtown job. Currently working for about $20k/yr + benefits in a temp position. Hell, my school pays cashiers $37k/yr + benefits.

Link Posted: 12/20/2005 6:33:40 AM EDT
[#2]
I read the transit people are barred from strikeing, I thought.

If they are in violation of thier contract, I think replacment can
start immiediately.

I do labor relations for a living.

It's always a a laugh to watch the Union people's faces
when people brought in off the street do thier jobs with a
higher QA rate, faster, and usually with less people.

I remember one place that was needing to cut unskilled jobs, and,
the union was pushing for the creation of a position for a guy to
move parts on a cart from machine to machine, rather than have the machinists
have to bend over and move parts.

They went on strike.  7 months later,  5 out of 60 had jobs, and,
a year after that, nobody did.

Interesting factoid:  In NY, even if you voluntarially walk off your job (strike) you can collect
unemployment bennies.  Strake pay+Unemployment......

The above incident was in Rochester, NY.  The pickets were making 550.00 a week for
sitting in lawn chairs on the picket line for a few hours.

Unbelieveable.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 6:40:35 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Bullshit. You could barely live in Midtown for $60k/y. Coming out of college I was offered $33k for a midtown job. Currently working for about $20k/yr + benefits in a temp position. Hell, my school pays cashiers $37k/yr + benefits.

Uhm...I lived just fine working in Downtown making $55k/year..even could afford toys like MP3 players before they really became popular, back when 64mb flash cards were all they could handle, and they were stupid pricy, too.

The difference was that unlike some people who insist on being stupid, I decided having a 45 minute/hour commute on bad days would be worth it, money-wise, and I was right.  I was able to live out in Hackensack for peanuts compared to Manhattan, snag a train into Hoboken, and from there either catch the PATH to the WTC, or a ferry to WFC. On those cold winter days where I didn't feel like walking the 8 or so blocks into the office, I could snag a subway from the WTC for another $1.50.  Train time was about 30 minutes, ferry/PATH time was about another 10, then it was just the walk to the office.

Working in NYC ain't that expensive, if you're not insisting that you need to live next door to work.

Link Posted: 12/20/2005 6:41:44 AM EDT
[#4]
Well...glad I'm not headed to The City.  

Good Luck Wave!
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 6:48:53 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Uhm...I lived just fine working in Downtown making $55k/year..even could afford toys like MP3 players before they really became popular, back when 64mb flash cards were all they could handle, and they were stupid pricy, too.

The difference was that unlike some people who insist on being stupid, I decided having a 45 minute/hour commute on bad days would be worth it, money-wise, and I was right.  I was able to live out in Hackensack for peanuts compared to Manhattan, snag a train into Hoboken, and from there either catch the PATH to the WTC, or a ferry to WFC. On those cold winter days where I didn't feel like walking the 8 or so blocks into the office, I could snag a subway from the WTC for another $1.50.  Train time was about 30 minutes, ferry/PATH time was about another 10, then it was just the walk to the office.

Working in NYC ain't that expensive, if you're not insisting that you need to live next door to work.

Yup, and the commute over PATH or from Brooklyn to downtown is about as short as from Midtown or the UES.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 6:50:17 AM EDT
[#6]
So why exactly aren't they all fired and new ones hired?  
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 7:56:32 AM EDT
[#7]
Oh great... and I'm going on January 4th.  I'm hoping it's not all chaotic around that time too!
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 8:08:05 AM EDT
[#8]
Good luck Wave.

This really sucks...for all the commuters that have to walk to work.  I hear having a car is a pain in the ass in NYC and the only logical solution is to ride the bus or train.  I did see on the news this morning Michael Bloomberg walking with the commuters across the Brooklyn Bridge.  

Are the cabs running?

As for the workers...fuck 'em.  
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 9:32:34 AM EDT
[#9]
I just heard the state supreme court is ordering them back to work
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 9:33:06 AM EDT
[#10]
This sucks ass.  After staying up until 03:00 this morning listening to the radio to check what was going on, I had to wake my ass up at 06:00 and drive OUT to my business partner's house in LI, and then take the LIRR into the city with him.  Where he lives isn't so crowded, we got on the train and got seats no problem, but we passed some stops where you could see lines of people down the street waiting for the train.  We heard that there is a THREE HOUR wait at Jamaica station for an LIRR train into the city.  We're going to try to leave the city early so as not to be trapped in that horde when it's quitting time.

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
what nuts to me is how much of a raise they want about 8 % per year for 3 years, if that was me it would mean a rasie of 16 thousand over 3 years, thats a real nice chunk of change. nothing like raises that are more than what some body at McDs make a year.

No, its 8% over 3 years

okay i kept hearing on the local news that it was 8 % per year. now 8 % over 3 years in very reasonable.  heck i typically get 3 to 5 % per year, well i did before i started my own company. i personally think 4% should be standard, including minium wage.

I'm pretty sure it's 8% per year they wanted, because on the radio last night they said that the MTA offered 3% this year, 4% next year, and 3% the year after (total would be 10% over 3 years) and that's what prompted them to walk out of the talks around 23:00 last night.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 11:12:22 AM EDT
[#11]
Ugh.  I'm glad I'm back in Ohio for the holidays.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 11:26:57 AM EDT
[#12]
Yup, union is demanding 24% over three years. Final offer was 10.5% over three years, which beats the 3%/yr that Philly got.

Greedy bastards. Hope they all get fired.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 12:07:52 PM EDT
[#13]
From cnn.com:

BREAKING NEWS

A judge rules the Transport Workers Union in contempt of court for striking, and orders it fined $1 million a day starting Tuesday.
--

Somebody please post a suitable "pwned" pic.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 12:13:10 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
From cnn.com:

BREAKING NEWS

A judge rules the Transport Workers Union in contempt of court for striking, and orders it fined $1 million a day starting Tuesday.
--

I love it when a plan comes together.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 12:37:35 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
From cnn.com:

BREAKING NEWS

--

Fine, I'll do it myself:

Now, GET BACK TO WORK!
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 12:49:59 PM EDT
[#16]
ARENT THE CABBIES UNION?

if so- are they not "crossing the line"

Link Posted: 12/20/2005 12:51:19 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Yup, union is demanding 24% over three years. Final offer was 10.5% over three years, which beats the 3%/yr that Philly got.

Greedy bastards. Hope they all get fired.

I just read that in a news article.... they can be greedy all they want, but they'll soon find out their jobs aren't worth what they're demanding.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 12:52:59 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
ARENT THE CABBIES UNION?

if so- are they not "crossing the line"

I doubt it.  Most hacks are considered independant contractors that work for X company.

They aren't considered "scabs" becasue they are not doing bargaining unit work.

Thier function is independant of the transit workers.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 12:57:19 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:
That's why I never support any 'gubment funded public transportation. I prefer to to drive my car around my schedule instead of someone else's bus, rail, tram schedule.

When you and 40,000 of your closest friends are all competing for three lanes to get to work on time, mass transit looks very very appealing.

If I lived where I could get around by mass transit, my car would be for entertainment and trips only.

Jim

I live in the Chicago area, but I live in the burbs.  My sister commutes via train to work.  The train is significantly less expensive, and you only have to pay $1 for parking at the train station versus %20+ a day in downtown.  

Yes you're competeing against the schedule, but I'd rather have someone else worry about the driving/operating rather than sitting parked on an expressway, especially in bad weather.

If I did need to work downtown Chicago, I would live in the 'burbs and commute via bus or train.  
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 1:11:33 PM EDT
[#20]
Fuck replacing them. Some might sneak back in

Already, trains in Paris, Cairo, and Calcutta operate with computerized or automated systems. In Paris, the Meteor Project was launched in 1998, with an automatic piloting system that controls the train line’s traffic, regulates speed, manages alarm devices, and allows for traffic of automatic and traditional conductor trains on the same line.There have been no serious accidents reported since this system deployed in the late 1990s, and more than a billion people have been transported. Computers make the trains run on time and they don’t threaten to walk off the job. All of us are replaceable, but some are more quickly replaceable than others.

Already,the MTA spends 80% of its operating budget on personnel expenses.

Link Posted: 12/20/2005 1:23:25 PM EDT
[#21]

The union is famed for its militancy. The transportation authority is flush with a $1 billion surplus. And now it is demanding sizable concessions on employee benefits.

It's certainly a volatile mix.

Add to that a union president facing re-election who has to demonstrate to dissidents that he is tough enough. And then have the authority give $100 million in holiday discounts to passengers, while transit workers think it should go toward a raise.

Now the recipe is explosive.

-New York Times

It not as simple as it seems.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 1:25:14 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
I read the transit people are barred from strikeing, I thought.

If they are in violation of thier contract, I think replacment can
start immiediately.

I do labor relations for a living.

It's always a a laugh to watch the Union people's faces
when people brought in off the street do thier jobs with a
higher QA rate, faster, and usually with less people.

I remember one place that was needing to cut unskilled jobs, and,
the union was pushing for the creation of a position for a guy to
move parts on a cart from machine to machine, rather than have the machinists
have to bend over and move parts.

They went on strike.  7 months later,  5 out of 60 had jobs, and,
a year after that, nobody did.

Interesting factoid:  In NY, even if you voluntarially walk off your job (strike) you can collect
unemployment bennies.  Strake pay+Unemployment......

The above incident was in Rochester, NY.  The pickets were making 550.00 a week for
sitting in lawn chairs on the picket line for a few hours

Unbelieveable.

Dang!  Some of us work our butts off to make that much.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 1:29:53 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Typed in one of those cost of living sites the amount you would have to make in NYC if you made $50k where I live... It was $250k wow !
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 1:59:10 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Here come the 12 hour tours and days off cancelled for us cops! Merry F-ing Christmas!
Shoule be interesting just trying to drive into work later today...

Go on strike...    
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 2:03:06 PM EDT
[#25]
Damn. And I didn't like going to NYC when there WASN'T a strike!
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 2:16:54 PM EDT
[#26]

NEW YORK - A New York state judge on Tuesday slapped a $1 million-a-day fine on a New York City transit union for violating a state law barring public employees from going on strike. The judge acted shortly after Mayor Michael Bloomberg blasted the walkout as “selfish and illegal" and said it had produced a morning commute “unlike anything this city has experienced in 25 years.”

million-a-day fine would put a dent in the union's bank accounts.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 2:22:36 PM EDT
[#27]
Well as usual the news orgs have put their spin on this and failed to properly report the union side of things.
I had a talk with my brother in-law who works for the MTA and he gave me his version of what they are looking for and they aren't at all what the news is reporting.
I can't remember the fine points or want to debate this but only that the news is making them out to be total asses.
I trust him way the hell more than the news so believe what they report to you. The news orgs never lie right
He is not a union kool-aid drinker either.
ETA: Nor am I
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 2:26:33 PM EDT
[#28]
Goes to show you when you combine two piss-poor ideas (public mass transportation & unions) you have an impending disaster.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 2:30:02 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
Well as usual the news orgs have put their spin on this and failed to properly report the union side of things.
I had a talk with my brother in-law who works for the MTA and he gave me his version of what they are looking for and they aren't at all what the news is reporting.
I can't remember the fine points or want to debate this but only that the news is making them out to be total asses.
I trust him way the hell more than the news so believe what they report to you. The news orgs never lie right

I dunno.  I do labor disputes for a living, and, the union usually has a seriously
good propoganda machine working.

The problem is;

A:  What they are doing is illegal.
B:  It hurts everyday people, not any rich people
C:  They earn a good wage and have stunning bennies, and, people are growing less and, less sympathetic to that.
D:  They picked Christmas to go on an Illegal strike that could've been postponed until after 1/1/06.  They picked Christmas to hurt as many residents of NYC as possible, and, that is f'ed up.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 2:41:23 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

If it sucks working for the MTA why doesn't your brother-in-law quit and go to work someplace where it doesn't suck?
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 2:44:51 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

If it sucks working for the MTA why doesn't your brother-in-law quit and go to work someplace where it doesn't suck?

Trust me, he's too old to start a new carrer but he also never said it sucked.
However part of the strike is for the new people who will be joining them. The MTA wants the new hires to work 35 years before they can collect a pension. Kinda nuts if you ask me. eta: I have alzheimers so the numbers aren't positve for a 4 hour old phone call.
On the other hand pensions in todays business is getting rare so I do see both sides.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 3:15:44 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

However part of the strike is for the new people who will be joining them. The MTA wants the new hires to work 35 years before they can collect a pension. Kinda nuts if you ask me. eta: I have alzheimers so the numbers aren't positve for a 4 hour old phone call.
On the other hand pensions in todays business is getting rare so I do see both sides.

Fox news covered the retirement changes the Union wants, not quite what you describe.  Currently union members have a 25/55 plan, where they can retire at 55 with half pay for life if they have worked for at least 25 years in the MTA.  The union wants the number lowered to 50.  That is ridiculous.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 3:28:30 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Fox news covered the retirement changes the Union wants, not quite what you describe.  Currently union members have a 25/55 plan, where they can retire at 55 with half pay for life if they have worked for at least 25 years in the MTA.  The union wants the number lowered to 50.  That is ridiculous.

Raise the retirement age to 65 like all the rest of the poor working stiffs and bump that fine to $10 million PER HOUR. Fire the lot (and yank their pensions) if everything is not back up and running by midnight.

The extortionists are costing NYC $1/2 billion per day.

I've seen Unions wreck too many industries to have any sympathy for them. I have even less sympathy for management. Can the transit authority board while they are at it.

Link Posted: 12/20/2005 3:34:23 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

like I said I have Alzheimers and CRS
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 3:38:48 PM EDT
[#35]
Fire them all.  We don't like communistic or socialist inspired organizations in this country.

How long does it take to train a new driver of a subway or bus?  Not hard.  One two days tops with a 100% training program.

Cheaper in the long run than putting up with a strike for two days.

Sign to unions to FOAD.

You DO NOT have the right to be GIVEN better pay than the market thinks you deserve.  Don't like the pay, or benefits, get a better job and/or education.  Thats how it works in a capitalistic society.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 5:26:40 PM EDT
[#36]
Have Hillary or Schumer made any public statements on the strike?
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 5:56:43 PM EDT
[#37]
I hope NY will fire everybody,kick the union out, and offer them a job for market wage.This whole episode is a perfect example of why unions benefit nobody but themselves.

Unfortunately,a more plausible outcome is that business agents will get richer for negotiating some inflated contract with the state,millions of people will be pissed at MTA for missing work and not being able to put food on the tables.Last but not least, unions will still go on extorting American businesses like they have been doing for years.

Link Posted: 12/20/2005 6:24:12 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
Goes to show you when you combine two piss-poor ideas (public mass transportation & unions) you have an impending disaster.

What's wrong with public mass transit?  The city flat out doesn't work without it.  Would you prefer it be privatized?  They tried that, the NYC currently public subway is actually a combination of three separate formerly "competing" private rail systems, which resulted in idiocy like incompatible railcar/tunnel size specifications and electrical supply, and piss poor connections between the lines in some areas, which make getting between seemingly close locations in the city an exercise in frustration.  Some things are a natural monopoly.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 7:42:34 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

What's wrong with public mass transit?  The city flat out doesn't work without it.  Would you prefer it be privatized?  They tried that, the NYC currently public subway is actually a combination of three separate formerly "competing" private rail systems, which resulted in idiocy like incompatible railcar/tunnel size specifications and electrical supply, and piss poor connections between the lines in some areas, which make getting between seemingly close locations in the city an exercise in frustration.  Some things are a natural monopoly.

I disagree, if a private company ran it, there wouldn't be the type of problems you see right now.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 8:55:49 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I disagree, if a private company ran it, there wouldn't be the type of problems you see right now.

Three private companies used to run it, and screwed the pooch.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 9:13:38 PM EDT
[#41]
We wouldn't have strikes like theese if companies were still allowed to hire strike breakers (strike busters?) to go and umm......convince them to continue working
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 9:29:43 PM EDT
[#42]
I've got lots of popcorn... I can't wait to see how this plays out.  
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 9:32:02 PM EDT
[#43]
I couldn't give a shit less.  
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 9:33:54 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
We wouldn't have strikes like theese if companies were still allowed to hire strike breakers (strike busters?) to go and umm......convince them to continue working

They still do it, its called  a rat bastard scab.

Very unhealthy job though, some guys take that shit personally.

Link Posted: 12/20/2005 9:38:08 PM EDT
[#45]
It's just fucking dandy... My final exams were rolled over into January. Took my mother 2.5 hours to go each way to/from work today (from Brooklyn). I have a freind who took 4 hours just to get into the city from Queens (one way! Normally a <20 minute drive to work). Yes, gridlock is about right.

I don't know enough about the specifics of the debate to insert my own comment, so I'll just hold onto my 2 cents.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 1:10:10 AM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 1:18:02 AM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 1:33:55 AM EDT
[#48]
Damn Wave, 5AM, lots of overtime that must be! (as for me, I'm just suffering from insomnia tonight -- postponed finals => me sleeping 'in' yesterday (for 16 hours!).

Link Posted: 12/21/2005 3:54:22 AM EDT
[#49]
man, horrible miscalculation on the union's part, pulling this shit over christmas...it's like a big "fuck you!" to the masses trying to get everything done before the holidays. any sympathy they might have engendered for their cause is g-o-n-e...

my sympathies to all you board members caught in this craziness!
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 4:01:56 AM EDT
[#50]
one warning- get back to work now or your fired. period.  no takers. Bye.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top