Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 7:59:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:Certain things I very much agree, but for half of it, I do not.Driving a car is a way of life versus riding a motorcycle, is a chosen lifestyle. Everyone should learn to shoot, but not everyone should own a gun, obvious reason's why. Fire fighting, first aid, second language, reading maps, is important as it's very essential to society as a whole, martial arts, I'm not too sure, unless you're using it as a form to instill responsibility and discipline (which is useful for gun shooting too). As for maintenance, not everyone has the ability to problem solve before wrenching, as reasoning's can be blocked by those with a total loss of emotional control while frustrated.
View Quote

You probably don't know this but there are a large amount of people who do not own a car but only own a motorcycle. Riding motorcycles or driving cars can be a way of life or not equally. My list did not say you needed to own anything. My list also says "Basic maintenance" and martial arts is exactly for what it is intended for being self defense.
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 8:08:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

You probably don't know this but there are a large amount of people who do not own a car but only own a motorcycle. Riding motorcycles or driving cars can be a way of life or not equally. My list did not say you needed to own anything. My list also says "Basic maintenance" and martial arts is exactly for what it is intended for being self defense.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:Certain things I very much agree, but for half of it, I do not.Driving a car is a way of life versus riding a motorcycle, is a chosen lifestyle. Everyone should learn to shoot, but not everyone should own a gun, obvious reason's why. Fire fighting, first aid, second language, reading maps, is important as it's very essential to society as a whole, martial arts, I'm not too sure, unless you're using it as a form to instill responsibility and discipline (which is useful for gun shooting too). As for maintenance, not everyone has the ability to problem solve before wrenching, as reasoning's can be blocked by those with a total loss of emotional control while frustrated.

MY CC is my self defense, no one is this day and age has the intestinal fortitude to fight fairly, so I'd rather Indiana Jones their dumb ass's. And for a lot of people, they choose not to drive or ride, and rather walk/bike/use the public transportation system. It's all a lifestyle choice. I see riding as highly dangerous because all it take's is a horrible driver who's a hazard to everyone, to easily ignore blind spots and cause harm to pedestrians and riders. But at the same token, I won't try to stop anyone from riding, hence my point.

Our forefather's and my bro's and sister's didn't give a blank check with our live's for someone to tell us what we should or shouldn't learn or operate.

Telling our kid's in school that it's okay not to give the Pledge of Allegiance is something to be concerned with; learning to ride and operate a motorcycle is the least in priorities.
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 8:12:28 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

I do think that everyone should be forced to wear leather chaps.
View Quote

This is actually posted on the wall when you enter my home.

Link Posted: 9/8/2013 8:21:47 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

I think so.  You would have fun.  It would put a completely different perspective on peoples' minds and make the world a different place.
View Quote

Forced.    

Maybe you should be "forced" to give up your firearms.  Or forced to have FSA strangers live in your house.  Perhaps you should be forced to donate blood each and every week for a year.

Link Posted: 9/8/2013 8:23:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Only when the donor organ supply runs low.
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 8:26:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 8:29:02 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

we make you suck a cock to see if you actually like doing it or not

View Quote

This is also posted on the wall when you enter my home.  Under the part about the chaps.

Link Posted: 9/8/2013 8:30:48 PM EDT
[#8]
No chaps, no cocksucking, no dice.

Link Posted: 9/8/2013 8:35:27 PM EDT
[#9]

Link Posted: 9/8/2013 8:36:17 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I think so.  You would have fun.  It would put a completely different perspective on peoples' minds and make the world a different place.
View Quote

Yes, they work very well in blizzards.
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 8:40:36 PM EDT
[#11]
Like all the time?  No.

There are days I jump on my motorcycle, head out of the neighborhood, and something does not feel right, so I go home, and take my truck instead.

And maybe not everyone.  Most of my kids are coordinated, and good with balance.  One falls upstairs frequently, and is horrendous on a bicycle.   He would not last long, and we like him.  :)
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 8:43:49 PM EDT
[#12]
No but they should be strongly incentivized.  Fuck spending taxpayer dollars subsidizing electric cars,  motorcycles are easier on the roads and the environment.  There should be zero annual registration fees for two wheel vehicles in every state, and the govt can take the money they piss away on hybrids and electric cars and provide subsidies to scooter/motorcycle purchases instead.  Install motorcycle lanes, and more bike-only parking.
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 8:50:04 PM EDT
[#13]
with the number of people out there that can't even drive a car without almost killing themselves or others.. I'd say no on putting them on 2 wheels...
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 9:11:07 PM EDT
[#14]
One day a year where the entire population has to ride a motorcycle, brought to you by Live Leak.

Link Posted: 9/8/2013 9:12:33 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

I used to ride.  Got my liter bike up to 186 mph once.

Never again.  

Sold both bikes last year.  If I want to go fast I have a twin turbo vette.  

Never again on 2.
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 9:13:10 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
with the number of people out there that can't even drive a car without almost killing themselves or others.. I'd say no on putting them on 2 wheels...
View Quote

This.

I think PSAs about motorcycles would be good, and more motorcycle info on driver's tests, and stupid people having their license revoked...
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 9:16:46 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

Most of them would self-eliminate from the gene pool, and do it without taking anybody else with them.  Sounds like a good thing to me.
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 9:19:30 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

All Harley riders should do a million man ride, and then crash in one big fireball.
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 9:20:48 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Not what I was specifically thinking.  I posted my reasons earlier.

But either way, theres no legit reason NOT to learn.  Refusing to learn, anything, is retarded.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Forced?  Of course not.

That being said, it wouldnt hurt to learn.  Same way I think everyone should know how to drive stick.

again, why?

for what?

I don't know if the following is anything relative to what NY_Shooter was thinking, but learning to drive a stick is a very direct and intuitive method for learning how your car works, and what it's doing, when you press the pedal.

Not what I was specifically thinking.  I posted my reasons earlier.

But either way, theres no legit reason NOT to learn.  Refusing to learn, anything, is retarded.

you guys missed the whole point

obviously, learning to drive a stick is beneficial, same as learning any other new skill is beneficial.

however, that's not the point

1. the OP said he wants other people to ride motorcycles

2. this next guy says he wants other people to learn to drive a stick

3. I question why having other people do either was important to you.  Because who cares.

the usefulness of knowing how to drive a stick is not the issue

Link Posted: 9/8/2013 9:38:54 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
No but they should be strongly incentivized.  Fuck spending taxpayer dollars subsidizing electric cars,  motorcycles are easier on the roads and the environment.  There should be zero annual registration fees for two wheel vehicles in every state, and the govt can take the money they piss away on hybrids and electric cars and provide subsidies to scooter/motorcycle purchases instead.  Install motorcycle lanes, and more bike-only parking.
View Quote

I think of a motorcycle as the world's worst form of transportation.  

An accident that would be nothing at all in a car is a bone-smashing disaster on a motorcycle.

a friend of mine got lightly sideswiped by a car while riding a motorcycle, the other guy's door handle ripped the guy's kneecap right off his leg, the doctors wanted to amputate his leg.

in a car, that accident would have been just some dents and scraped paint.

a relative of mine, a lifelong rider, dumped his bike in a dry wash on a curve, broke his neck and died on the spot

I think the actual statistics are that you are 16 times as likely to die in a motorcycle accident than a car accident.   Which is not all surprising considering that a car is a giant steel box with seatbelts, padding and airbags in it.

what's the "crumple zone' on a bike?  answer:   your ribcage  

on top of that, the roads are a little more than a smash-up derby.  people drive like shit, they even text now.

when I buy a car, I do a test:  I ask myself, "Would I be willing to be rammed by an SUV while driving this car?"    If the answer is no, then the car doesn't get bought.

finally, it's cold here

6 or 7 months out of the year you'd freeze your ass off
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 9:41:40 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
One day a year where the entire population has to ride a motorcycle, brought to you by Live Leak.

View Quote
lol, on an epic scale.
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 9:42:35 PM EDT
[#22]
Only if it can be done quietly.

Loud pipes are for dicks.
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 9:43:01 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Most of them would self-eliminate from the gene pool, and do it without taking anybody else with them.  Sounds like a good thing to me.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You sound like an advocate for Agenda 21.

Link Posted: 9/8/2013 9:50:16 PM EDT
[#24]
Why yes, because it's just what we need moar of:

Link Posted: 9/8/2013 10:17:31 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

I'm not mature enough to ride a motorcycle.

View Quote
This, but adding "on the public roads". I love dirt bikes. I wouldn't drive a damn Smart Car on public streets, let alone a motorcycle.

Nearly ALL of my friends are EMS/Fire or Nurses and holy hell the stories I hear.

Link Posted: 9/8/2013 10:19:43 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
This, but adding "on the public roads". I love dirt bikes. I wouldn't drive a damn Smart Car on public streets, let alone a motorcycle.

Nearly ALL of my friends are EMS/Fire or Nurses and holy hell the stories I hear.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm not mature enough to ride a motorcycle.

do tell
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 10:22:44 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

this
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
... ah hells nah

Many American men don't have the balls - and we'd all suffer for it

this

It's not lack of balls, it's lack of interest (and money).

I just don't care to.
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 10:25:55 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Never know when it may come in handy.  Just a random personal example; Spent the day at a water park in the summer heat with my GF and her friend.  I was ass tired and we had a 3 hour trip back home.  My car was a manual.  Neither of them could drive stick, so I had to drive the whole way.  On top of that, Im like an infant who falls asleep in vehicles, even when Im not dead tired from spending the day out in the summer heat.
View Quote

Your problem solving skills suck.

Drive to the highway entrance. Get in the passenger seat, shift for them until they are up to speed, then sleep until your exit.
Been there, done that.
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 10:28:27 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.

-Robert A. Heinlein
View Quote

I can't conn a ship or program in anything other than BASIC.
My sonnets suck, but I can do it.
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 10:29:02 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I want to learn to drive an 18-wheeler.  I heard when you don't have a trailer you can haul ass.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
My dad always said you shouldn't be able to get your license until you drive a motorcycle 500 miles, and at the end of the 500 miles they give you the keys to an 18 wheeler and you have to drive it back to where you started.

If you are 1.  Still alive.  2.  Ever want to drive again, have at it.

Easy peasey.  

I want to learn to drive an 18-wheeler.  I heard when you don't have a trailer you can haul ass.

But you can't fucking stop.
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 10:32:22 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Should we make you suck a cock to see if you actually like doing it or not?

View Quote

See, this is why I sometimes think we need a "Like" button.
Not sucking cocks, but your post.
Just to be clear.

No homo...
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 10:33:16 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Drive to the highway entrance. Get in the passenger seat, shift for them until they are up to speed, then sleep until your exit.
Been there, done that.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Never know when it may come in handy.  Just a random personal example; Spent the day at a water park in the summer heat with my GF and her friend.  I was ass tired and we had a 3 hour trip back home.  My car was a manual.  Neither of them could drive stick, so I had to drive the whole way.  On top of that, Im like an infant who falls asleep in vehicles, even when Im not dead tired from spending the day out in the summer heat.

Been there, done that.
Not only that, he failed at doing a self risk assessment. His dilemma is like a pilot getting up, and getting all pissy because none of his passengers can fly the plane just because he's tired.

He put himself in that situation by getting a vehicle that only he can drive, so in a nutshell, he caused his own problem.
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 10:49:30 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
He put himself in that situation by getting a vehicle that only he can drive, so in a nutshell, he caused his own problem.
View Quote

Well, I was trying to be kind and supportive.

Your avatar, is that a Lithuanian wolf?
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 10:53:02 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nope! I'm a GoT's nerd: House Stark sigil of the Direwolf.

Link Posted: 9/8/2013 11:01:40 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Gotcha.
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 11:17:58 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.

-Robert A. Heinlein

What the hell does "conn a ship" mean?

*eta apparently it means steer... But it can't just say that for some reason, it has to try and sound smart buts full of damn shit like Heinlein's bitch ass is
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 11:20:19 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

-Robert A. Heinlein

You should also be able to use a dictionary and/or google in order to become self sufficient in answering your own dumb questions, instead of relying on others to answer for you.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=define%3A+conn

Link Posted: 9/8/2013 11:20:46 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

-Robert A. Heinlein

Drive a large ship, as in telling the engine room what to do, steering what to do, navigate, etc.
Yes, I am an enabler. Forgive me, Hrairoo.
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 11:25:03 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

You should also be able to use a dictionary and/or google in order to become self sufficient in answering your own dumb questions, instead of relying on others to answer for you.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

-Robert A. Heinlein

I did. See edit. Thanks for being a dick though.
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 11:57:41 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 12:02:16 AM EDT
[#41]
They say riding a motorcycle makes you a better car driver.

You learn to PAY ATTENTION.
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 12:04:34 AM EDT
[#42]
NOT A CHANCE!

Not unless the country is out to kill and maim a lot of people.

Consider

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
("About the only thing the helmet does in an accident is make it easier to find the head." passage, (w,stte), a Di Maio forensic pathology text)
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 12:11:46 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
They say riding a motorcycle makes you a better car driver.

You learn to PAY ATTENTION.
View Quote
Saying isn't the same as doing, and actually, SURVIVING. Fail, riding is more dangerous and it make's you cocky.

See the post above for clarification.
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 12:13:50 AM EDT
[#44]
Amusing how some bike riders, many bike riders, hold this illusion that they are somehow more free than those on 4 wheels. As if your choice of transportation provides you with a special measure of independence.
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 12:22:51 AM EDT
[#45]
Naw man. There's certain people that I feel like shouldn't stand within 10 feet of a motorcycle. Just like there's some people that I think shouldn't stand within 10 feet of an automobile.
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 12:58:48 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

I think I've been to enough funeral's of guy's just week's home after a deployment, been through some serious shit, PH's an all, only to get killed while riding a bike. And these were expert riders, too.

I'm not one to ban what you see as enjoyment and I won't talk down to anyone who rides, but neither will I endorse something or put myself on a bike that I see as a reckless behavior, IMHO.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think I've been to enough funeral's of guy's just week's home after a deployment, been through some serious shit, PH's an all, only to get killed while riding a bike. And these were expert riders, too.

I'm not one to ban what you see as enjoyment and I won't talk down to anyone who rides, but neither will I endorse something or put myself on a bike that I see as a reckless behavior, IMHO.

You know that feeling you get when you roll outside the wire where your brain is in the ON position and your body is relaxed ready to take on anything? That's what getting on a bike is like. It's real your in the moment just like you are over there. It's not reckless it's an addictive activity that's just shy of heroin or pussy.
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 1:06:45 AM EDT
[#47]
It would teach a lot of shitty drivers how to be better drivers and how to pay attention a lot better and anticipate a lot of things better.

Id say at least 18 months of mandatory motorcycle riding and no cages until the 18 months is up.
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 1:06:57 AM EDT
[#48]
I find sex to be very fun but I doubt people forced to do it would feel the same.  Also as a side not i don't think they should be forced to either...
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 1:40:34 AM EDT
[#49]
hell no
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 3:48:41 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View Quote

Well in theory I've always been for it.. same goes for a semi.. the theory is that people will understand that semi's can't stop fast and when everyone get's in front of them at lights your cutting their braking distance.. I try and drive nice around them but I'm not a semi driver so that's the only real thing I know..heard it from a trucker decades ago. For motorcycles it would be look before you leap.. look for 3 seconds straight and then check again before you go... I always look in the rear view mirror before changing lanes then I look out the window...motorcycles can hide behind an A-Pillar.. the thing to the left or right of your windshield that blocks your view.. so it's good to give it a few seconds to make sure nothing is hiding there. Riding a motorcycles ass into a tight corner, or small roundabout.. actually had a dickhead on my ass and I had to lean right to enter the roundabout and then lean left to drive in it.. the dumb ass nearly ran me out of the roundabout because he was so aggressive and assumed I was going to turn right giving a motorcycle space from behind.. this allows other cars to see them further back so they aren't so likely to try to merge into the motorcycles lane.. I think a lot of people who think motorcylist are all crazy asshole rider's would have a change of heart once they realized that all the idiots in cages are trying to kill them... if you experienced have no cage to protect you and two wheels to keep you going perhaps you would see everything differently.. and yes there are still assholes on bikes.. there are assholes in everything... but I think a lot of bikers get a bad rap.. if your life was on the line perhaps you would ride the same way they do!

Bikes are also very fun.. about as close to feeling like superman.. wind.. and the steering.. riding S-curves.. the power of no weight ie cars take so long to go because they are heavy!
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top