Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 8
Link Posted: 1/23/2020 10:41:15 AM EDT
[#1]
Haven't read the whole thread, this may have been asked.  I assume that a PC/armor counts towards pack weight?
Link Posted: 1/23/2020 10:45:18 AM EDT
[#2]
Any South Dakota peeps? I'm in the Rapid City area and am interested.
Link Posted: 1/23/2020 11:56:45 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Haven't read the whole thread, this may have been asked.  I assume that a PC/armor counts towards pack weight?
View Quote
No- because they are technically optional.
Link Posted: 1/23/2020 1:27:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote
Well, you're a hard man, Mr. Anderson.
Link Posted: 1/23/2020 8:32:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Nobody likes you. Imma go start one in the NC HTF right meow.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Started a thread in the NC HTF.

Currently sitting at 45 views and 0 replies.
Nobody likes you. Imma go start one in the NC HTF right meow.

Don't let that discourage you...Just start on your own...see if you can find someone you shoot with locally or that's a friend and bring them out to hike and then into the Arf fold.

We put up a thread in the Illinois form and have already got some folks interested and that's not even touching our "usual suspects"...

Set a date, set a time and go out, have fun, be outside and exert yourself....Not in any obscene way of course....hahahah

Good luck!
Link Posted: 1/23/2020 8:53:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
@Ben

Really?
Wow. I’ve let people know in my Indiana BB thread that PCs would count toward the total weight. If that’s an official call, I’ll post a correction.

Thanks
Link Posted: 1/24/2020 7:46:24 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

@Ben

Really?
Wow. I’ve let people know in my Indiana BB thread that PCs would count toward the total weight. If that’s an official call, I’ll post a correction.

Thanks
View Quote
Solution is simply throw it in your pack as pack weight.

Eventually there will be a category of classification that includes the pack weight plus armor, chest rig, and helmet.

If you all have already completed hikes counting the plate carrier weight, ease keep them as qualifying hikes. Just adjust in the future.

Part of this is because weight in your pack rides differently than armor.
Link Posted: 1/24/2020 7:49:43 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Solution is simply throw it in your pack as pack weight.

Eventually there will be a category of classification that includes the pack weight plus armor, chest rig, and helmet.

If you all have already completed hikes counting the plate carrier weight, ease keep them as qualifying hikes. Just adjust in the future.

Part of this is because weight in your pack rides differently than armor.
View Quote
Thanks for the clarification. I’ll share the info in my thread.
We’re just on our first hike, so starting fresh.

Thanks again
Link Posted: 1/25/2020 4:14:52 PM EDT
[#9]
"You must cover an average minimum of 3mph per hike, with an average of 6 miles per hike, for a total of 18 miles minimum over three hikes within the 90 day window."

How do we verify we averaged 3mph per hike?
Link Posted: 1/25/2020 4:26:41 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
"You must cover an average minimum of 3mph per hike, with an average of 6 miles per hike, for a total of 18 miles minimum over three hikes within the 90 day window."

View Quote
GPS or distance divided by time
Link Posted: 1/25/2020 4:28:42 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 1/25/2020 4:53:08 PM EDT
[#12]
Got ya. So as far as the witnesses, do they have to do the hike with us or do they verify it via an app/smartwatch when we're done?
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 11:55:53 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
There are smartphone apps that'll track that if you don't have a GPS.
View Quote
I'll test the Walkmeter free iPhone app today, see if it's worth a shit.
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 12:28:41 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote
I use AllTrails usually but I am downloading “Map My Walk” right now as the screenshots indicate it does a faster look up of speed and distance. I think I might double dip, use AllTrails to make sure I don’t get any trail turns missed and read reviews of hikes at state parks etc but mapmywalk for instant speed checks while on the move.
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 2:09:34 PM EDT
[#15]
Honestly, I think this whole thing is borderline stupid.

If you like the idea, hey, that's great - go for it.

Driving for hours to hike with some people you don't know?  I'd rather spend the time getting exercise or living my life rather than driving.

What's with all the "Xrd Class", "Ranks", "ratings are not ranks" and other nomenclature?  Are you setting up a militia or a wannabe militia?

Referring to the Heinlein quote*, where are your math classes, coding classes, first aid training courses, poetry and navigation classes, etc?

I will end with this.  Exactly what are you "going to lose" if you don't do this?
*  "A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.”

-Robert A. Heinlein
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 2:11:48 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Driving for hours to hike with some people you don't know?  I'd rather spend the time getting exercise or living my life rather than driving.

What's with all the "Xrd Class", "Ranks", "ratings are not ranks" and other nomenclature?  Are you setting up a militia or a wannabe militia?

I will end with this.  Exactly what are you "going to lose" if you don't do this?
View Quote
Camaraderie.
Pro-RKBA networking.
Fun.
Motivation.

Thank you for your service.
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 2:15:05 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote
Um....  may I suggest if you don’t see the vision that you don’t shit in the thread?

I’ve driven very long distances to see forum members.  I’ve met some of the greatest people on this forum from Rhode Island to San Diego.  I spent a lot of money to take my son with me to stand next to forum members in the cold for a day.  Non of them had I ever met in person, several of them I call friends.

If you don’t get it, you’re exactly the kind of person that doesn’t really need to be there. That’s ok too.  Good luck to you.
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 2:19:27 PM EDT
[#18]
Oh, I do "get it" but no thanks.

Consider my post a "sanity check" for those who read it.  Checking whether something makes sense is often important.

Take care.
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 2:20:04 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Um....  may I suggest if you don’t see the vision that you don’t shit in the thread?

I’ve driven very long distances to see forum members.  I’ve met some of the greatest people on this forum from Rhode Island to San Diego.  I spent a lot of money to take my son with me to stand next to forum members in the cold for a day.  Non of them had I ever met in person, several of them I call friends.

If you don’t get it, you’re exactly the kind of person that doesn’t really need to be there. That’s ok too.  Good luck to you.
View Quote
Amen brother. As posted elsewhere, someone not willing to drive and meet strangers and hike with them  and grow an offline relationship is also going to be not willing to drive to the brewing storm that we thought Richmond was or show up at 0300 to help their buddy if and when stuff really gets bad.
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 3:03:42 PM EDT
[#20]
It seems quite a few of you are missing one of the main points, getting out there with others. The ratings only hold as much value as the effort people put into it together.
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 3:39:45 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Amen brother. As posted elsewhere, someone not willing to drive and meet strangers and hike with them  and grow an offline relationship is also going to be not willing to drive to the brewing storm that we thought Richmond was or show up at 0300 to help their buddy if and when stuff really gets bad.
View Quote
Exactly!

I’m very excited about these hikes and getting out there and meeting guys.

I’ve already got these on my schedule:
Feb  8 Charlotte
Feb  9 Winston Salem
Feb 29 Manassas
Jun   6 Central Montana (I have ALWAYS wanted a reason to go to Montana!)

The only thing that would make this better for me is if I could throw my 52lb daughter in my ruck and take her along but she’s 6 and I don’t think kids are allowed.
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 3:43:12 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

The only thing that would make this better for me is if I could throw my 52lb daughter in my ruck and take her along but she’s 6 and I don’t think kids are allowed.
View Quote
the rules are still vague about what materials you can use to constitute the weight in your rucksack.
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 3:47:59 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote
Nailed it.
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 5:57:00 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Oh, I do "get it" but no thanks.

Consider my post a "sanity check" for those who read it.  Checking whether something makes sense is often important.

Take care.
View Quote
Sanity check?

Let's see...  Should we really be encouraging the members of this (and others) forum to get together and encourage each other regarding fitness, skills such medical care and communication, establish a loose membership and leadership structure to help organization?  Is it really in the best interest of ourselves, our families, communities that we turn off the computer and get into some real life and meet people with similar values?

Huh.
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 6:11:12 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote
With a map, a watch, and algebra.
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 6:13:15 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

plus, there are apps that will tell you your average speed.  Walkmeter does; MapMyWalk might.
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 6:15:53 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

plus, there are apps that will tell you your average speed.  Walkmeter does; MapMyWalk might.
View Quote
Mapmywalk screenshot from an earlier testAttachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 6:21:34 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Referring to the Heinlein quote*, where are your math classes, coding classes, first aid training courses, poetry and navigation classes, etc?

*  "A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects."

-Robert A. Heinlein
View Quote
JFC.  If there's a post that serves as an example of missing the forest for the trees, this one can't be beat.
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 6:25:32 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote
If you need an app to tell you what your average speed was on a hike of known distance and time, or if you are going on a hike and either the distance and/or time isn't known, you have serious skill deficiencies that need to be corrected instead of compensated for.

That's just my opinion, but whatever.
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 6:50:40 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

If you need an app to tell you what your average speed was on a hike of known distance and time, or if you are going on a hike and either the distance and/or time isn't known, you have serious skill deficiencies that need to be corrected instead of compensated for.

View Quote
Try to imagine a world were everyone doesn't know everything and may try something new. Then try not to come off as an asshole in order to bring more people into the fold.
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 6:51:33 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I know how to do the math to determine average speed. We don't NEED such apps, but they are handy while on the march to see what the current average marching speed is at any given moment.

It would really suck to do a 6 mile march and do the math immediately afterward only to find "oh shit, we did a 2.7mph pace; thus, that march doesn't count!!!"

Using tech as a helper isn't using it as a crutch.
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 7:13:48 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

I know how to do the math to determine average speed. We don't NEED such apps, but they are handy while on the march to see what the current average marching speed is at any given moment.

It would really suck to do a 6 mile march and do the math immediately afterward only to find "oh shit, we did a 2.7mph pace; thus, that march doesn't count!!!"

View Quote
Correct the app is so I can keep walking 3.0 MPH uphill with 50 lbs on my back without having to figure out if I am currently walking too slow or can ease up
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 7:20:10 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Then try not to come off as an asshole in order to bring more people into the fold.
View Quote
I'm just a guy that is willing to be the insensitive prick that some people didn't know they needed in their life.

I do understand that not everyone knows everything. I think the hiking events could be a good place for people to learn basic land nav skills and knowledge. That's why I said "has skill deficiencies that need to be corrected" instead of "is a moron". You can't fix morons. I give everyone here the benefit of the doubt, and assume they aren't that.
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 7:22:43 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I use AllTrails usually but I am downloading “Map My Walk” right now as the screenshots indicate it does a faster look up of speed and distance. I think I might double dip, use AllTrails to make sure I don’t get any trail turns missed and read reviews of hikes at state parks etc but mapmywalk for instant speed checks while on the move.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've also had great results with Gaia GPS (which I assume is similar)
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 7:24:57 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

*  "A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.”

-Robert A. Heinlein
View Quote
Putting faces to names and making personal connections is vitally important for the networking required to reverse the tides of gun control that are sweeping our land.

I put forward that if it wasn't for these ABB hikes started before the politicians in Richmond VA went off the rails, and other face to face activities like them in separate endeavors, Lobby Day in Richmond would have been a much different and worse event.
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 7:27:05 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

LOL, there's gonna be a whole lot of that when this kicks off; 3mph on trails is a brisk walk.  With full pack, most folks will find it quite fast.  I expect folks to cheat with flat & level road-hikes
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 7:30:14 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

LOL, there's gonna be a whole lot of that when this kicks off; 3mph on trails is a brisk walk.  With full pack, most folks will find it quite fast.  I expect folks to cheat with flat & level road-hikes
View Quote
I would actually recommend this for less experienced people, or even guys that have experience but it's been a while since they got promoted to PFC.

ETA: Seriously. I know I've already come off like an asshole, but I really am a reasonable person. I expect people to at least be able to learn how to do things like tell time, measure distance on a map, establish way points (which you can assign time hacks to in order to maintain pace), take a pace count, etc. I don't expect them to go straight from the couch to doing a movement that is in some ways more difficult than any of the movements that privates do in Infantry OSUT.

EATA: In Infantry OSUT you do a lot of movement over very rough terrain, but almost all of it is without your ruck. You also do very long movements with your ruck, up to 12 miles. The loads are a little heavier, especially if you "lucked out" and were assigned MOS 11C, and the pace is a little faster, but those are all on roads and Fort Benning doesn't have much for hills.
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 8:10:53 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
where are your math classes
View Quote
My group is covered on this, if it becomes necessary.  FWIW
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 8:30:46 PM EDT
[#39]
Some of you guys would be the car salesman who says “some guy comes on the lot, I pushed his face right into the fuckin’ hood, I told him ‘you buy this fuckin’ car or I’ll break your fuckin’ neck.’”

Guys, don’t forget your crawl/walk/run paradigm.  Some of the people who will show up are not veterans and have never rucked before.  Some are veterans, have rucked, but not in 15 years and are pushing 50 (like me).  If you turn these events into Infantry OSUT from Day One, it will crash and burn almost immediately.

Make it fun, make it easy, make it meaningful in stages so people keep coming back for more while growing as an American.
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 1:29:17 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I would actually recommend this for less experienced people, or even guys that have experience but it's been a while since they got promoted to PFC.

ETA: Seriously. I know I've already come off like an asshole, but I really am a reasonable person. I expect people to at least be able to learn how to do things like tell time, measure distance on a map, establish way points (which you can assign time hacks to in order to maintain pace), take a pace count, etc. I don't expect them to go straight from the couch to doing a movement that is in some ways more difficult than any of the movements that privates do in Infantry OSUT.

EATA: In Infantry OSUT you do a lot of movement over very rough terrain, but almost all of it is without your ruck. You also do very long movements with your ruck, up to 12 miles. The loads are a little heavier, especially if you "lucked out" and were assigned MOS 11C, and the pace is a little faster, but those are all on roads and Fort Benning doesn't have much for hills.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Indeed; slow-going is a hell of a lot faster than recovering from an injury.  Difficulty changes rapidly with pack-weight even after only 35lbs; everything from blisters to posture to joint strength become critical.
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 5:31:30 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My last road march with a ruck was in 1976 in Fort Leonardwood. I'm not sure I'm in a position to qualify as an 11B type these days. That make me unwelcome?
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 12:12:09 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Some of you guys would be the car salesman who says “some guy comes on the lot, I pushed his face right into the fuckin’ hood, I told him ‘you buy this fuckin’ car or I’ll break your fuckin’ neck.’”

Guys, don’t forget your crawl/walk/run paradigm.  Some of the people who will show up are not veterans and have never rucked before.  Some are veterans, have rucked, but not in 15 years and are pushing 50 (like me).  If you turn these events into Infantry OSUT from Day One, it will crash and burn almost immediately.

Make it fun, make it easy, make it meaningful in stages so people keep coming back for more while growing as an American.
View Quote
'At's wot I's tryin' ta say earlier, Cap'n.

I would add the advice of getting or making a set of ranger beads (pace counting abacus). Learn how to use them and start learning your personal pace counts for walking, jogging, flat trail, bush whacking, etc.

GPS is nice and is a good tool with which to dial in your count ( in addition to figuring out wtf you are) but one should never be too dependant on one soul means of doing anything.
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 12:53:43 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

My last road march with a ruck was in 1976 in Fort Leonardwood. I'm not sure I'm in a position to qualify as an 11B type these days. That make me unwelcome?
View Quote
To qualify, you must meet only rule #1.

Rules:

1. Show up and come along.

If you think yourself out of shape or whatever, don't bring a pack for a while, or just bring water. If more than one person on a hike feels they're out of shape, they're welcome to do a shorter hike together and participate with anything going on post-hike.

I'll blow a hike time to walk with someone who has trouble keeping up. Being a buddy matters more than hike times.
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 2:10:44 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I can tell how excited you were to post this reply just by how beautifully laid out your response is. I bet you debated between using math and Algebra huh?

Anyway, I regret to inform you that my question regarding verification was in question to how we verify, with someone else, that we averaged 3mph throughout the hike, not how we verify to ourselves. As noted in my next reply, just 3 posts down from the first you read, I said " Got ya. So as far as the witnesses, do they have to do the hike with us or do they verify it via an app/smartwatch when we're done?"

I hope this post finds you in good spirits.
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 3:06:32 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Rules:

If you think yourself out of shape or whatever, don't bring a pack for a while, or just bring water. If more than one person on a hike feels they're out of shape, they're welcome to do a shorter hike together and participate with anything going on post-hike.

I'll blow a hike time to walk with someone who has trouble keeping up. Being a buddy matters more than hike times.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Rules:

Rock on! (er, Ruck on, I guess)
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 5:36:05 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I can tell how excited you were to post this reply just by how beautifully laid out your response is. I bet you debated between using math and Algebra huh?

Anyway, I regret to inform you that my question regarding verification was in question to how we verify, with someone else, that we averaged 3mph throughout the hike, not how we verify to ourselves. As noted in my next reply, just 3 posts down from the first you read, I said " Got ya. So as far as the witnesses, do they have to do the hike with us or do they verify it via an app/smartwatch when we're done?"

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't know about anybody else but I'm big on the honor system in situations such as this. If you can't trust someone to not fudge on something like this, you sure as hell can't trust them with anything of import.

Conversely, I've always been of the opinion that it is very bad form to call a man a liar without just cause.

So, I do admit that I find the whole notion of feeling the need to verify or prove what one has done among such a group as this to be a little offputting.

Just my opinion.
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 6:04:19 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

I don't know about anybody else but I'm big on the honor system in situations such as this. If you can't trust someone to not fudge on something like this, you sure as hell can't trust them with anything of import.

Conversely, I've always been of the opinion that it is very bad form to call a man a liar without just cause.

So, I do admit that I find the whole notion of feeling the need to verify or prove what one has done among such a group as this to be a little offputting.

Just my opinion.
View Quote
Treat it as a requirement to proselytize the Gospel of the Republic.  That's the biggest reason for the requirement, it forces us to look around and get people involved.

I think you're 100% right on the trust aspect, but I don't think that was the intent here at all.  Just the 'buddies' side of Battle Buddies.
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 6:17:40 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
the rules are still vague about what materials you can use to constitute the weight in your rucksack.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The only thing that would make this better for me is if I could throw my 52lb daughter in my ruck and take her along but she's 6 and I don't think kids are allowed.
IMO, Bartertown leadership staff should count.
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 6:46:39 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Treat it as a requirement to proselytize the Gospel of the Republic.  That's the biggest reason for the requirement, it forces us to look around and get people involved.

I think you're 100% right on the trust aspect, but I don't think that was the intent here at all.  Just the 'buddies' side of Battle Buddies.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just my opinion.

Apologies if I've mistaken anyone's intent.

And, don't get me wrong. Accountability is a good thing. It's ultimately motivating. Much easier to let yourself down than it is to let a buddy down when the rubber meets the road.

This is good stuff and I did not intend to be quibbling over the trivial.
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 7:12:44 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Apologies if I've mistaken anyone's intent.

And, don't get me wrong. Accountability is a good thing. It's ultimately motivating. Much easier to let yourself down than it is to let a buddy down when the rubber meets the road.

This is good stuff and I did not intend to be quibbling over the trivial.
View Quote
That's true.  I've already started letting people down, I had surgery on my arm and the recovery is not going well.  I thought I was at least going to be good for a 3 mile hike at 6am this morning, but after being up nearly the entire night writhing in pain, I called it off.  I haven't slept in 3 weeks and I'm getting prety damn cranky...  I'm setting myself up for a warning in a few threads here I think, lol
Page / 8
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top