Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 8
Link Posted: 12/12/2019 9:11:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Bump. Any takers from Missouri. Not much traction in the HTF post yet.
Link Posted: 12/13/2019 7:34:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Tonight’s work. I think I should have waited and extra day between attempts. My times were a little better anyway.

Link Posted: 12/17/2019 9:21:44 PM EDT
[#3]
I picked up a little bit of speed. I tell my legs and feet are getting tougher. I think I will try one more at four miles. Then up it to five.
Link Posted: 12/19/2019 8:34:23 AM EDT
[#4]
I couldn't find anything in the Texas forum, so I'd thought I throw out the idea for NE San Antonio to New Braunfels area. I've just been hiking in the neighborhood and a couple local parks and Cibolo Creek. Nothing crazy, I'm not timing anything, just enjoying getting outside and getting some fresh air. Usually 1-3 hours and we can add in some extra fitness components if you want. There are also some local running tracks we can use.
And we have some local ranges that do pistol or carbine matches on Saturdays- usually just a $20 entry fee. Or we can rent a tactical bay and do some rifle and pistol drills.
Could even do a match on Saturday and then a hike on Sunday if anyone is up for it, or we can just mix and match as schedules allow.

Who is in?
Link Posted: 12/22/2019 10:24:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Bump...we have multiple groups around the country...keep it up gents!
Link Posted: 12/28/2019 7:28:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Bump - doing my first hike tomorrow!
Link Posted: 1/2/2020 1:55:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Been getting my kids down to 17-minute miles at Huntley meadows. I’m the only one carrying weight though. Unarmed when it’s just us.
Link Posted: 1/7/2020 4:44:41 PM EDT
[#8]
@JoeMal

How's it looking?
Link Posted: 1/7/2020 5:11:58 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I'm in SEPA, and I will make the trip to VA sooner or later, but it would be good to find some others that are closer.
View Quote
Quoted:

I am in SEPA as well (Chester County) and would be up for meeting more like minded people in the area.
View Quote
@dlm1984
@Dragon82

Bump.

I'm game.
Link Posted: 1/7/2020 8:09:31 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 1/8/2020 3:58:05 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 1/8/2020 7:40:31 PM EDT
[#12]
Waiting on my charger for my samsung gear watch to get here, but just knocked out a 3.2 mile run with a 35lb ruck in 38 minutes.

God I'm fucking fat.
Link Posted: 1/10/2020 2:56:03 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 1/19/2020 10:09:30 AM EDT
[#14]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Bet if I started one it would be the same thing.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Started a thread in the NC HTF.

Currently sitting at 45 views and 0 replies.
Bet if I started one it would be the same thing.
@Jinxsters

We battle buddies now.

Engage HTF
Link Posted: 1/19/2020 3:14:29 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

@Jinxsters

We battle buddies now.

Engage HTF
View Quote
My body is ready.
Link Posted: 1/19/2020 9:34:01 PM EDT
[#16]
I have been down with the flu for a week. Need to get back to it this week.
Link Posted: 1/20/2020 10:27:30 PM EDT
[#17]
Update for anyone that’s runs across this thread, and is within a reasonable distance of the Southern Indiana/Louisville, KY Metro area.

We have our first Battle Buddy hike scheduled.
Details in OP here

Thanks!!
Link Posted: 1/21/2020 3:16:12 PM EDT
[#18]
Bumping post Virginia.

Anyone for Ohio Valley BB?  OH, WV, PA.  Could probably include all the way to Pittsburgh, PA and Morgantown, WV.  Would be nice if there were some military guys. It worked well for the guys in VA.

I’m willing to put in time and money.  I don’t have  much knowledge on where things like hiking could be done.  Respond here so others can see your interest and PM too. There’s gotta be some guys out there.
Link Posted: 1/21/2020 8:23:20 PM EDT
[#19]
@Ben
We are getting started
DFW battle buddies thread Texas HTF
Link Posted: 1/21/2020 8:59:43 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
If anyone wants to do this is Cali, let me know.
View Quote
@CAKEPWNER

Just saw this thread, still on page (1). Ima keep reading...
Link Posted: 1/21/2020 9:05:26 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

The bend. The bit where California "bends" along the Nevada border. That's what I call it anyway.

Redding or somewhere in between wouldn't be bad.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
If anyone wants to do this is Cali, let me know.
What part of the state are you in?
Quoted:
-snip- I'm up by the "bend", about 2 hours from San Fran. No one lives up here.
I highly suspect that most of the people able to do this will be way down in SoCal, far far away from me.
The "bend?"
I dunno, man. I'm in Redding and, if I remember correctly, there's another couple dudes around here.

The bend. The bit where California "bends" along the Nevada border. That's what I call it anyway.

Redding or somewhere in between wouldn't be bad.
lol, the bend. Still reading here, on page (3)...
Link Posted: 1/21/2020 10:03:47 PM EDT
[#22]
@RockHard13F Do you mind if incorporate this into a concept I have to incentivize gun owners to rally?
Link Posted: 1/21/2020 10:19:02 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 1/21/2020 10:46:02 PM EDT
[#24]
This is a great movement. I’m boycotting exercise until the Live Free or Die Battle Buddies is formed.
Link Posted: 1/22/2020 12:43:26 AM EDT
[#25]
@RockHard13F

For the two other people unrelated...do they have to be carrying weight too, or just there to witness and verify, and do they have to be the same two witnesses for all hikes?
Link Posted: 1/22/2020 1:20:12 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
@RockHard13F

For the two other people unrelated...do they have to be carrying weight too, or just there to witness and verify, and do they have to be the same two witnesses for all hikes?
View Quote
I see no issue with them not carrying weight if they only intend to serve as a witness.  And no, they don't have to be the same witnesses each time.
Link Posted: 1/22/2020 1:26:35 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Bump. Any takers from Missouri. Not much traction in the HTF post yet.
View Quote
Advice based on past ARF experience with this and other arfcommers advice:

Main post of your hike / get together with logistics in GD.  Cross post links to GD post in HTF and Survival forums.  GD gives you visibility, HTF and Survival forums pick up people that actually go. YMMV.

Good luck!
Link Posted: 1/22/2020 1:33:14 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 1/22/2020 10:48:57 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I'm not in a position to do any organizing but if anybody's got anything going with this in Georgia or North/Central Florida, I'd sure like to get in on it with you.
View Quote
Check the fl HT.
Folks are trying to get intrest.
Im bout hour south of Jax.
@joker581
Link Posted: 1/22/2020 11:16:33 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
This is a great movement. I’m boycotting exercise until the Live Free or Die Battle Buddies is formed.
View Quote
If that's all that is stopping you I'll make a trip east and go on a hike.  A holiday weekend would be best as its a bit of a drive.
Link Posted: 1/22/2020 11:20:35 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 1/22/2020 2:10:36 PM EDT
[#32]
needs a mountain division with elevation gain standards
Link Posted: 1/22/2020 2:12:33 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
needs a mountain division with elevation gain standards
View Quote
Easy there fuzzy little man peach...this is the beginning. Already working on a handful of "qualifications".
Link Posted: 1/22/2020 2:53:39 PM EDT
[#34]
Planking is coming instead of the sit ups
Link Posted: 1/22/2020 2:56:48 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Planking is coming instead of the sit ups
View Quote
How many dragon flags instead of situps?  I tried to get my daughter who does a fair bit of tumbling/gymnastics to do a dragon flag.  She was impressed that I can rip out a bunch without a break and she can't get one.

But I can't run.
Link Posted: 1/22/2020 3:31:32 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Easy there fuzzy little man peach...this is the beginning. Already working on a handful of "qualifications".
View Quote
We need jungle tabs for us Floridamethbillies  lol
Link Posted: 1/22/2020 5:31:16 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

lol, the bend. Still reading here, on page (3)...
View Quote
@CAKEPWNER

I'm 30 miles from the bend.   I'm down.

The Virginia guys inspired me.
Link Posted: 1/22/2020 6:32:43 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 1/22/2020 6:51:32 PM EDT
[#39]
Once I get my schedule for the year here in a week or so, I’ll be taking your challenge to start up the North Idaho group. Hopefully bringing in people from western Montana and Eastern Washington.
Link Posted: 1/22/2020 8:21:23 PM EDT
[#40]
This is a good thread and a good compliment to your other threads, OP. They are appreciated and needed. People need a kick in the ass, accountability, goals, perspective.

My $.02: 3MPH for 6 hours, carrying 45 pounds is well outside the ability of the majority of people even on paths or roads with little elevation change, and no NAV.

Would it not be more better to get people out and doing what they can with achievable goals? It's always been the way I approached training anyone who wasn't up to speed in any endeavor be it shooting, jujitsu, adventure racing, etc.

I am in no way knocking the original goal. Only trying to get more people started and headed in the right direction. (My marshmallow self included. There is a hard body from long ago just trying to fight his way back to the surface)

I would also suggest incorporating navigation into hikes. Get your topo map of whatever trail system you're intending to hike and take some cross country "short cuts" according to determined points at figured azimuths and see how closely you come out to the intended pick up of the trail and how many paces it should have, and did, take. Then, one can start to get the hang (and understand the benefit) of orientation techniques like stoppers, hand rails, aiming to one side of the destination point, etc, etc.

I would be happy to help put together a SW/SC OH ruck. There are several trails that lend themselves to such an outing. Zaleski is one of my favorites.
Link Posted: 1/22/2020 8:28:09 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 1/22/2020 8:36:20 PM EDT
[#42]
Delete
Link Posted: 1/22/2020 8:43:58 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
6 miles per hike, not 6 hours.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My $.02: 3MPH for 6 hours, carrying 45 pounds is well outside the ability of the majority of people even on paths or roads with little elevation change, and no NAV.
6 miles per hike, not 6 hours.
Ah, yeah. Missed that one a smidge. But, my statement stands.

My racing buddy and I did the Zaleski 24.5 mile trail in 9 hours (back when I was in damn good shape) carrying basically day packs full of water. It was 95f in August. That was about as good as we could do and was probably a better pace than most of the adventure racing we did because there was very little navigation necessary....hence my post.

Even 6 miles in 2 hours carrying 45 pounds is outside what (dare I say) most could do if they got up right now and tried. Especially if we're talking up and down hills on trails.

I know I should be able to without thinking about it. And it is embarrassing to admit I don't think I could(most likely). It's a good short term goal to hit.

eta: Maybe I'm setting sights way low. Will get out this weekend on a local two mile loop trail with a decent ele change and see where I am on the clock.
Link Posted: 1/22/2020 9:11:57 PM EDT
[#44]
The wife and I just tested out a 6 mile trail.

We completed it in 1:37 with 35lbs for her and 50lbs for me. Could have been 1:30 even, without all the snow in some spots.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/23/2020 12:05:24 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Ah, yeah. Missed that one a smidge. But, my statement stands.

My racing buddy and I did the Zaleski 24.5 mile trail in 9 hours (back when I was in damn good shape) carrying basically day packs full of water. It was 95f in August. That was about as good as we could do and was probably a better pace than most of the adventure racing we did because there was very little navigation necessary....hence my post.

Even 6 miles in 2 hours carrying 45 pounds is outside what (dare I say) most could do if they got up right now and tried. Especially if we're talking up and down hills on trails.

I know I should be able to without thinking about it. And it is embarrassing to admit I don't think I could(most likely). It's a good short term goal to hit.

eta: Maybe I'm setting sights way low. Will get out this weekend on a local two mile loop trail with a decent ele change and see where I am on the clock.
View Quote
Of the 3 dozen people that have joined us for Northern Virginia hikes, including many that are very obviously not fitness nuts, we have only had 3 really fall out. One was deathly ill at the time, and the others way overdressed and overheated.

We have done mostly flat trails so far, but that is changing.

It is more achievable than people realize!
Link Posted: 1/23/2020 12:09:36 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
It is more achievable than people realize!
View Quote
But it really sucks.

And was the kick in the pants I needed to start working on getting back into shape.
Link Posted: 1/23/2020 12:23:44 AM EDT
[#47]
Tag to learns.
Link Posted: 1/23/2020 2:53:14 AM EDT
[#48]
I remember seeing the AAR for one of the VA hikes and thinking how neat that was, and wishing we had something like that here.  Saw this thread today and it inspired me to try to organize something here in SoCal, since no one else had, yet.  So I started a thread in the California Hometown forum to try and get things started.  Hopefully we can find some nice areas suitable for hiking where open carry is still legal (I know of one or two areas out in the desert that aren't just flat, boring areas, and which even permit shooting beyond 500m, but forest land and mountains would be nice, too).  This movement is definitely something I find appealing, and better fitness is good for everyone, anyways (and beneficial for when I partake in Cola Warrior).

I do think the pace for the challenge is doable.  I'm not only not in the best shape, to put it mildly, but also am still recovering from surgery and complications that ensued therefrom.  I went walking today since my surgeon wants me walking at least a few miles a day for as many days as I can every week, until I'm cleared for more strenuous exercise (very soon).  I live in a place with a lot of hills, trails, wilderness areas, etc., so that's a plus.  Not much flat terrain out here.  I did 3 1/2 miles this afternoon with 5 steep hills of decent walking length included and decided to time my walk.  Despite my condition, I averaged 2.98 mph.  Fully recovered, and as I improve my fitness, I know higher speeds can be achieved, even with a heavy pack, and for longer distances, and I feel motivated to do it (even if nothing gets off the ground as far as a SoCal Battle Buddies chapter goes).

Anyhow, if anyone from SoCal is interested, check out the thread I started in the CA hometown forum.  It'd be really great to have something like this around here.  If @Ben has any advice, guidance, guidelines that need to be followed not published in this thread, etc., I'm all ears.
Link Posted: 1/23/2020 9:00:42 AM EDT
[#49]
Just so y'all don't think I'm a complete disgusting fat body or pussy, and because this tool is valuable when looking at a hike:
Lots of trails have elevation gain charts available so you don't have to either wear an altimeter or figure it longhand. Bear in mind the figure listed is gain only and doesn't account for all the down hill which is actually harder for some folks with knee issues and when under load.

This is what was in my mind because I've hiked it many times, when making my previous posts. 125 feet of gain ( and loss) per mile doesn't sound like much until you do it. You're either going up or down on this one. Attachment Attached File

It calls it 20 miles but the trail changes over the years. It was 24 several years ago measured by GPS on foot.
Link Posted: 1/23/2020 10:33:13 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Just so y'all don't think I'm a complete disgusting fat body or pussy, and because this tool is valuable when looking at a hike:
Lots of trails have elevation gain charts available so you don't have to either wear an altimeter or figure it longhand. Bear in mind the figure listed is gain only and doesn't account for all the down hill which is actually harder for some folks with knee issues and when under load.

This is what was in my mind because I've hiked it many times, when making my previous posts. 125 feet of gain ( and loss) per mile doesn't sound like much until you do it. You're either going up or down on this one. https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/206831/trail-us-ohio-zaleski-north-loop-trail-a-1245864.JPG

It calls it 20 miles but the trail changes over the years. It was 24 several years ago measured by GPS on foot.
View Quote
Too late, you’ve been judged
Page / 8
Top Top