Site Notices
Page / 8
Link Posted: 11/21/2019 12:21:22 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 11/21/2019 12:40:56 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
We had six participants in our hike today in NOVA.

Congrats to @WhiskersTheCat of the NOVA Battle Buddies on being the first to complete the requirements for his Battle Buddy Piss Cutter.  He more than exceeded the minimum pace requirement on his final required hike, averaging 16:07 per mile, 33 seconds per mile under the passing pace!

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/72384/20191120_230526-1168345.jpg
View Quote
Badass picture.
Link Posted: 11/21/2019 7:25:02 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
We had six participants in our hike today in NOVA.

Congrats to @WhiskersTheCat of the NOVA Battle Buddies on being the first to complete the requirements for his Battle Buddy Piss Cutter.  He more than exceeded the minimum pace requirement on his final required hike, averaging 16:07 per mile, 33 seconds per mile under the passing pace!

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/72384/20191120_230526-1168345.jpg
View Quote
Love that picture!
Link Posted: 11/21/2019 8:26:54 AM EDT
[#4]
I'm in to form a group in SEOH. Anyone down here in the hills watching this thread?
Link Posted: 11/21/2019 10:40:14 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I'm in to form a group in SEOH. Anyone down here in the hills watching this thread?
View Quote
OHIO BATTLE BUDDIES
Link Posted: 11/21/2019 9:36:17 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm in SEPA, and I will make the trip to VA sooner or later, but it would be good to find some others that are closer.
Link Posted: 11/21/2019 9:43:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Can anyone recommend a good Tier 87 ruck? Or will my hunting backpack with some gear be good enough?
Link Posted: 11/22/2019 7:36:22 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I'm in SEPA, and I will make the trip to VA sooner or later, but it would be good to find some others that are closer.
View Quote
Make it happen, Cap'n!
Link Posted: 11/22/2019 7:09:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Reminder. We have much to do.
Link Posted: 11/23/2019 12:54:45 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Central NM Moriarty/East Mountains area. I wouldn't mind visiting warmer climate for winter training though
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'd be interested in training with like-minded folks here in NM. Would also help do what I can to assist in organization.
@fmj_shooter what portion of the state?   I’m SE and have a back procedure next week, but would be game in 3-4 weeks to try getting in better shape.  Doubt I could do the hike w pack, but would love to work towards it.
Central NM Moriarty/East Mountains area. I wouldn't mind visiting warmer climate for winter training though
@fmj_shooter I’ve been talking with some buddies and we’ve got some ideas for my buddies ranch.  I’ll let you know when we get it planned.  Like I said I’ve got a back procedure next week so it may be a few weeks.
Link Posted: 11/23/2019 3:22:00 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

@fmj_shooter I’ve been talking with some buddies and we’ve got some ideas for my buddies ranch.  I’ll let you know when we get it planned.  Like I said I’ve got a back procedure next week so it may be a few weeks.
View Quote
Sounds great. Thanks!
Link Posted: 11/25/2019 11:05:15 AM EDT
[#12]
Gentlemen- please see if your hometown forum has established a Battle Buddy program yet.  If your hometown is lacking one, let's locate someone who can help.
Link Posted: 11/26/2019 1:08:25 PM EDT
[#13]
Another bump to remind people-

It is imperative that you become comfortable with being uncomfortable.
Link Posted: 11/26/2019 3:31:01 PM EDT
[#14]
I’m working on building up to this on my own till I can hook up with some locals. So far just 35 pounds for three miles.
Link Posted: 11/26/2019 5:04:05 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I’m working on building up to this on my own till I can hook up with some locals. So far just 35 pounds for three miles.
View Quote

That's how you get there!
Link Posted: 11/26/2019 5:30:40 PM EDT
[#16]
This thread motivates the shit outa' me!
Link Posted: 11/26/2019 5:32:02 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I'm working on building up to this on my own till I can hook up with some locals. So far just 35 pounds for three miles.
View Quote
That's an excellent start.  Better than most.

Keep it up!

Link Posted: 11/26/2019 6:15:55 PM EDT
[#18]
Humm just making sure "probationary" counts as a PASS.

I know that test all too well...knees destroyed when I was eating crayons for almost 10 years.  Later learned to Never Again Volunteer Yourself and would swim.  Up until 3.5 years ago every 6 months I was up for the task, then was medically forced out.

I think I could pass it now if I found the local river and swam downstream.....but unfortunately after my last hospital stay I was told not to swim for at least 2 years.

If you want to go full true and blue Navy PRT fitness test, you have to do a sit and reach  (sitting on the ground legs straight out in front and touch your toes for either 40 seconds or a minute? and your knees can't come off the ground), each event can be no longer than 10 minutes apart (from the end of one to the start of the next).  The run course can have no vertical distance (inline/grades) of more than 20 ft per 100 yards and like 500 ft for the entire course, not sure on this but know there are limits; they prefer a flat track.  You may do the events in any order.

I will check a couple states HTF to see if anything is near to me.  It's disappointing to know I can't hump my 60 lbs pack 15+ miles and in the mean time end up with more gear than I started with (extra rucks, rifles and anything else the dropouts left behind).
Link Posted: 11/26/2019 9:26:54 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Keep it up!

View Quote
Thanks. Did another 3 miles tonight. I’m going to have to get my feet toughened up. I’m going to try for four miles tomorrow.
Link Posted: 11/26/2019 10:25:15 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote
I am in SEPA as well (Chester County) and would be up for meeting more like minded people in the area.
Link Posted: 11/26/2019 10:52:42 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Thanks. Did another 3 miles tonight. I'm going to have to get my feet toughened up. I'm going to try for four miles tomorrow.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Keep it up!

Thanks. Did another 3 miles tonight. I'm going to have to get my feet toughened up. I'm going to try for four miles tomorrow.
Where in TX? I need to get back into rucking. I pack has been sitting in the garage floor for to long.
Link Posted: 11/26/2019 11:48:31 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Where in TX? I need to get back into rucking. I pack has been sitting in the garage floor for to long.
View Quote
I’m in Mckinney. So far I have been just packing it thru the neighborhood and local park. I have kept my split times to just over 15 min a mile.
Link Posted: 11/27/2019 12:24:20 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I'm in Mckinney. So far I have been just packing it thru the neighborhood and local park. I have kept my split times to just over 15 min a mile.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm in Mckinney. So far I have been just packing it thru the neighborhood and local park. I have kept my split times to just over 15 min a mile.
I'm in Garland. Need a buddy?
Link Posted: 11/27/2019 12:32:17 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I'm in Garland. Need a buddy?
View Quote
Sounds good to me. I’m looking for new spots. And hoping to find some other guys to join me.
Link Posted: 11/27/2019 9:24:40 PM EDT
[#25]
I had the day off today so I did four miles. I need some advice from you guys that have done long distance rucking. I’m doing good with the weight. My feet are taking a beating. Mostly the balls of my feet. I don’t know if I should try the anti friction stuff. Better socks or footwear? I really want to make the six miles happen.
Link Posted: 11/27/2019 9:33:15 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I had the day off today so I did four miles. I need some advice from you guys that have done long distance rucking. I’m doing good with the weight. My feet are taking a beating. Mostly the balls of my feet. I don’t know if I should try the anti friction stuff. Better socks or footwear? I really want to make the six miles happen.
View Quote
Finding a sock/boot combo is important and so is developing your feet and hygiene.  It could be an issue with your boots, insole, socks, or just a lack of toughening or too much sweat.

Can you elaborate on "taking a beating"?  Do you mean blistering, bleeding, or soreness/bruising?
Link Posted: 11/27/2019 9:36:46 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Finding a sock/boot combo is important and so is developing your feet and hygiene.  It could be an issue with your boots, insole, socks, or just a lack of toughening or too much sweat.

Can you elaborate on "taking a beating"?  Do you mean blistering, bleeding, or soreness/bruising?
View Quote
Mostly blistering on the balls of my feet. The soreness is not bad and I expected it. I was wearing newly broken in athletic shoes and cotton socks.
Link Posted: 11/27/2019 9:40:21 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Mostly blistering on the balls of my feet. The soreness is not bad and I expected it. I was wearing newly broken in athletic shoes and cotton socks.
View Quote
Lol.

Yeah. Thick socks are key. I learned that the hard way. Was showering one morning and was stepping on something... it was a piece of skin that finally detached after healing.
Link Posted: 11/27/2019 9:54:27 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote
Blistering is the result of too much friction.  It could be from sweat, loose fitting socks or shoes, or too much flexibility in the sole of your shoes.  I think you should try a pair of boots that are purpose made for hiking or backpacking as well as proper hiking socks.

I am a fan of wool socks.  I wear darn tough light cushion boot socks, they have enough elastic that they don't stretch or slip on my feet.  The wool is anti-microbial and wicks sweat well in hot weather and is fairly warm in cold weather.

Additionally, foot powder can help with minimizing sweat and sock slippage.

Some of it is toughening your feet.  Usually this issue shows symptoms of soreness, but blistering may be part of it.  Starting short and working your way up in length and time of hikes helps to prevent injury due to over-use.
Link Posted: 11/27/2019 9:59:05 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Blistering is the result of too much friction.  It could be from sweat, loose fitting socks or shoes, or too much flexibility in the sole of your shoes.  I think you should try a pair of boots that are purpose made for hiking or backpacking as well as proper hiking socks.

I am a fan of wool socks.  I wear darn tough light cushion boot socks, they have enough elastic that they don't stretch or slip on my feet.  The wool is anti-microbial and wicks sweat well in hot weather and is fairly warm in cold weather.

Additionally, foot powder can help with minimizing sweat and sock slippage.

Some of it is toughening your feet.  Usually this issue shows symptoms of soreness, but blistering may be part of it.  Starting short and working your way up in length and time of hikes helps to prevent injury due to over-use.
View Quote
I will give my feet a day or two off. Then get out the hiking shoes and thick smartwool socks. Thanks for the advice.
Link Posted: 11/27/2019 10:16:18 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Grab some moleskin too while you’re building up calluses
Link Posted: 11/28/2019 1:02:04 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote
Cotton is bad.
Link Posted: 11/28/2019 12:26:43 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Cotton is bad.
View Quote
Cotton IS bad, mmmmmk?
Link Posted: 12/5/2019 3:13:09 AM EDT
[#34]
Bump...
Link Posted: 12/11/2019 3:09:45 PM EDT
[#35]
Bump
Link Posted: 12/11/2019 3:28:11 PM EDT
[#36]
BTW I'm NBB 3rd Class now along with Supra
Link Posted: 12/11/2019 3:46:04 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
BTW I'm NBB 3rd Class now along with Supra
View Quote

Doing another ruck this weekend. This one will be about 7 miles on a dirt road around our watershed.
Link Posted: 12/11/2019 3:55:56 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote
Destroy all things cotton.
Wicking shirts,shorts/pants, underwear and socks only.

I wear the thinnest wool socks i can find.
I've had good luck with cabot and sons brand. They are very similar to smartwools.

As said poor fit, loose fabric,cotton and some micro meshes will chesse grate you to a stand still.
Link Posted: 12/11/2019 3:57:48 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Started a thread in the NC HTF.

Currently sitting at 45 views and 0 replies.
View Quote
Bet if I started one it would be the same thing.
Link Posted: 12/11/2019 7:00:58 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I am trying to not get depressed by it.
Link Posted: 12/11/2019 8:53:16 PM EDT
[#41]
Damn, you Virginia guys aren’t messing around.  I hope the rest of the country is taking note.

GOD BLESS VIRGINIA!!  SIC SEMPER TYRANNIS!!  LONG LIVE THE REPUBLIC!!

Good ruck, you guys!!
Link Posted: 12/11/2019 8:54:57 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Damn, you Virginia guys aren’t messing around.  I hope the rest of the country is taking note.

GOD BLESS VIRGINIA!!  SIC SEMPER TYRANNIS!!  LONG LIVE THE REPUBLIC!!

Good ruck, you guys!!
View Quote
LONG LIVE THE REPUBLIC!
Link Posted: 12/11/2019 8:55:29 PM EDT
[#43]
I just finished four miles. A change to wool socks and my Merrill Moab’s made a huge difference. My times were slower. But I got it done.

Link Posted: 12/11/2019 10:02:22 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I just finished four miles. A change to wool socks and my Merrill Moab’s made a huge difference. My times were slower. But I got it done.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/97147/06E8C0E8-BA73-4B22-B86F-D496C9A1CE7F-1192232.jpg
View Quote
Hell yeah!!!!!
Link Posted: 12/11/2019 10:40:33 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/97147/06E8C0E8-BA73-4B22-B86F-D496C9A1CE7F-1192232.jpg
View Quote
That is under the target pace significantly! Good work!
Link Posted: 12/12/2019 6:44:18 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

When i started hosting hikes....i never got takers from the hometown forum.
The survival forum....on the other hand.  Id have normally 5-10 dudes per hike, even when i hosted what we called " the death march " that was 2 days of rucking over terrian in Florida august heat.

Not saying you'll get tons of guys.  But dont be afraid to cross post it there imho.
Not all of us are GD lackies lol .

That our offer to buy everyone beer..... I'd show up
Link Posted: 12/12/2019 7:41:10 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
The survival forum....on the other hand.  Id have normally 5-10 dudes per hike, even when i hosted what we called " the death march " that was 2 days of rucking over terrian in Florida august heat.

Not saying you'll get tons of guys.  But dont be afraid to cross post it there imho.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks for the tips!

I haven't been to the survival forums in a long time. I should change that.
Link Posted: 12/12/2019 9:35:20 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Thanks for the tips!

View Quote
It's slowed a bit since the " prepper" fad died off some.

But still lots of folks there.

Good luck.

Eta: you in Nc... theres tons of guys in tge sc,tenn,wv,va in there.

Come to Florida..
We'll hump out our miles on the beach....
Put those Hawaiian shirts to good use
Link Posted: 12/12/2019 6:34:23 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Good luck.

Come to Florida..
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks for the tips!

Good luck.

Come to Florida..

I want to get down there again, but we always seem to use our vacation time visiting our families. One of the downsides to moving away from home, but worth it for other reasons.
Link Posted: 12/12/2019 7:40:46 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

I want to get down there again, but we always seem to use our vacation time visiting our families. One of the downsides to moving away from home, but worth it for other reasons.
View Quote
Got family in WV ... loved being there.
Got family 1.5 miles away....
I like WV.  Lol .
Page / 8
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top