Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 7
Link Posted: 3/15/2022 10:05:17 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
THSF had their first eForm 4 Disapproved. Reason was beneficiary missing from trust. Nevermind the customer has eight approved paper forms using the same trust. That’s gotta be frustrating. Wonder if the ATF screwed it up on the new one, or if the trust actually has a problem?
View Quote

Do you HAVE to have a beneficiary on the trust? Hope not, because I didn't list one and have never heard that this needed to be done to have it approved...
Link Posted: 3/15/2022 10:30:19 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
After reading BWs email, it inspired me to send my own quick  email.
I asked if there were any chance of them batching efile and paper F4s. I also made sure to give them my control number of the efile and item SN of my paper submission.
Worst case they say no, best case they link them and I get them a bit sooner.

Ya ya, I know... but I still buy lottery tickets too.
View Quote

how'd you send that in? I just went to ask the experts. I have 7 total pendings right now, 5 paper 2 eforms
Link Posted: 3/15/2022 10:53:54 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

how'd you send that in? I just went to ask the experts. I have 7 total pendings right now, 5 paper 2 eforms
View Quote

I sent it to the same address as BW, so [email protected]. If I get a response I'll post it up.
Link Posted: 3/15/2022 11:39:16 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
After reading BWs email, it inspired me to send my own quick  email.
I asked if there were any chance of them batching efile and paper F4s. I also made sure to give them my control number of the efile and item SN of my paper submission.
Worst case they say no, best case they link them and I get them a bit sooner.

Ya ya, I know... but I still buy lottery tickets too.
View Quote

I’d be surprised if they could.  With eforms, all of your submissions should be linked through your userID, but I don’t think the system for paper forms is tied to that or has a way to link different submissions to the same individual.  The paper system seems to be only serial number based.
Link Posted: 3/15/2022 11:46:47 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 3/15/2022 11:56:06 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Yes. That’s the entire point of a trust in the first place. (Not specific to trusts created for NFA reasons)
View Quote

Ugh… Can you add after Form 4 has been submitted?
Link Posted: 3/15/2022 1:59:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Ugh… Can you add after Form 4 has been submitted?
View Quote

Nope.

In the Gov infinite efficiency you cant change anything that you submitted.

They would rather go through the trouble of reimbursing your money and have you reapply.

There's people who accidentally put a different country as their country of citizenship that have to withdraw and reapply. Literally one drop down option selected by accident and they added 3 months to their approval, even though they would see in the background check that it was an error.
Link Posted: 3/15/2022 2:52:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Nope.

In the Gov infinite efficiency you cant change anything that you submitted.

They would rather go through the trouble of reimbursing your money and have you reapply.

There's people who accidentally put a different country as their country of citizenship that have to withdraw and reapply. Literally one drop down option selected by accident and they added 3 months to their approval, even though they would see in the background check that it was an error.
View Quote

Well, guess I’ll just have to wait and see what happens. Maybe it will go through without that. I’ve heard people not adding a person and it’s gone through. But that was with paper, maybe eForms are different…

You’d think SS would pick that up and not allow things to go through without that.
Link Posted: 3/15/2022 3:37:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 3/15/2022 6:46:23 PM EDT
[#10]
I don’t know. The below is from the SS website if you go to their blog and then the Trust article:

“Once it's complete, we'll send you a PDF of the trust with an amendment form attached. If you want to add trustees such as your spouse, kids, or hunting buddies, you can easily do so later. Simply print the amendment form mentioned above, bring it to a notary and get it stamped, then attach it to the back of your trust. In the meantime, there's no need to round up everyone for fingerprints and passport-style photos.”

Wonder if something else was why that guy got denied. I don’t think SS would say this if you HAD to have a trustee on your initial application.

Edit: Just finished reading through the whole article. Seems that a single shot trust is different than a legacy gun trust. Single Shot, you don’t need trustees. If you’re doing a legacy gun trust, you do need trustees to be included. Here’s a link to the article:

https://www.silencershop.com/blog/post/silencer-shop-single-shot-trust-vs-nfa-trust
Link Posted: 3/15/2022 7:43:28 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 3/15/2022 8:03:04 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Without a trustee, you don’t have a trust. Unless you’re not counting the grantor/settler as a trustee.

At a minimum, you need:
1. A trustee
2. A beneficiary
3. Something for the trust to hold

You can do the exact same thing with a “legacy gun trust”, whatever that made-up term is for, as you can with a single shot.

There’s not really even such thing as a gun trust…it’s simply a trust that happens to hold guns. I have one I paid a lawyer hundreds of dollars for before I really knew what I was doing. You could remove almost 50% of the wording, and nothing would legally change. The laws still exist whether they’re included in the trust document or not.

The whole single shot trust design is to start with a single RP, so just pics/prints/RPQ for one person…then add the others later. I can take my existing trust, remove the other two RPs, submit prints/photo/RPQ for just me, then add the other two people back.
View Quote

Yeah, I guess I’d be the trustee. Just no beneficiaries listed on the trust… nothing I can do now but wait anyway. Fingers crossed I’m ok.
Link Posted: 3/15/2022 8:15:49 PM EDT
[#13]
1/18/22 accepted/certified by ATF

C’mon bebe!!
Link Posted: 3/15/2022 8:51:44 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
1/18/22 accepted/certified by ATF

C’mon bebe!!
View Quote

Nice!! Congrats!! That was FAST!
Link Posted: 3/15/2022 9:10:49 PM EDT
[#15]
LGS has reported 2 approved this week.
Link Posted: 3/15/2022 9:12:33 PM EDT
[#16]
Mine went in 1/1/22 and nothing yet.
Link Posted: 3/15/2022 11:14:30 PM EDT
[#17]
Has anyone seen approvals from SS that included the digital prints?

The only approvals I've seen so far that commented on the finger prints said they mailed them.

I sure hope the digital prints work, especially considering a bunch of people got emails saying to mail in prints even though SS confirmed that they did send the digital print files.

Just curious if anyone has confirmed the digital prints are working right.
Link Posted: 3/15/2022 11:19:03 PM EDT
[#18]
We had a eform 4 (mg) 12/30 submittal approved 3/14

I was very impressive!  Hopefully the ATF can keep up with that transfer speed.
Link Posted: 3/15/2022 11:25:51 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

The only approvals I've seen so far that commented on the finger prints said they mailed them.

I sure hope the digital prints work, especially considering a bunch of people got emails saying to mail in prints even though SS confirmed that they did send the digital print files.

View Quote

Didn't SS have issues the first couple weeks? Wonder when they first started submitting them.
Link Posted: 3/16/2022 1:16:07 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

I asked this in one of the other threads, and no one has seemed to have gotten any back that used digital prints, only mailed in prints.  When I certified mine on 1/21 through a SS dealer, I only got the CLEO copy attached to my submitted confirmation email from the ATF.  No cover letter attachment like I’ve gotten with eFile F1s.  I assume that not getting the cover letter meant that they knew my prints were digitally attached to the submission, so I didn’t need the cover letter, but making assumptions about the ATF is probably foolish.  I’d also like to hear of some with digital prints coming back.  My fear is that the FBI gets them, they aren’t right for some reason, and just sit on the background check indefinitely, and never tell anyone that they’re wrong.
Link Posted: 3/16/2022 7:10:12 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 3/16/2022 8:44:03 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

The dealer got the cover sheet with their (watermarked) copy of the F4. All you get is the CLEO copy.

There is a flag on either the sheet or in the system indicating that prints were uploaded. It was mentioned in another thread but I’d have to try and find it. A dealer here can probably answer that question before I find the thread…but I’ll look around.

ETA: If the fingerprints cover letter ATF sent has an “X” on the right side in the same row as your name, then they accepted your EFT file. This is directly from ATF’s Ask the Experts.
View Quote

Good to know. I checked with a friend that got the cover letter and he did have an X. He actually called SS after he submitted because he was confused to why he got the cover letter and they confirmed that his prints were sent with the form.

Thanks for sharing that, I hadn't read that before.
Link Posted: 3/16/2022 9:28:42 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:ETA: If the fingerprints cover letter ATF sent has an “X” on the right side in the same row as your name, then they accepted your EFT file. This is directly from ATF’s Ask the Experts.
View Quote

Learn something new every day. I just re-checked my "emailed to me, cover letter." It indeed has an "X" next to my name. I guess that means mine is good to go.

Rejoice!
Link Posted: 3/16/2022 10:28:37 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

The dealer got the cover sheet with their (watermarked) copy of the F4. All you get is the CLEO copy.

There is a flag on either the sheet or in the system indicating that prints were uploaded. It was mentioned in another thread but I’d have to try and find it. A dealer here can probably answer that question before I find the thread…but I’ll look around.

ETA: If the fingerprints cover letter ATF sent has an “X” on the right side in the same row as your name, then they accepted your EFT file. This is directly from ATF’s Ask the Experts.
View Quote

As I said, the strange thing for me is that I didn’t get a cover letter at all.  There was only one attachment to the email from the ATF, and that was the CLEO copy.  In previous eForm 1 emails, there were always two attachments, one was the CLEO copy, and the other was the cover letter.  It isn’t a case of opening the email on a tablet and not seeing the attachments (which seems to have been fixed BTW), because even when opening the email in webmail or on a desktop, there was only one attachment.

Has anyone else who did digital prints NOT gotten a cover letter?
Link Posted: 3/16/2022 10:36:29 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

As I said, the strange thing for me is that I didn’t get a cover letter at all.  There was only one attachment to the email from the ATF, and that was the CLEO copy.  In previous eForm 1 emails, there were always two attachments, one was the CLEO copy, and the other was the cover letter.  It isn’t a case of opening the email on a tablet and not seeing the attachments (which seems to have been fixed BTW), because even when opening the email in webmail or on a desktop, there was only one attachment.

Has anyone else who did digital prints NOT gotten a cover letter?
View Quote

Customers don't get the cover letter. The dealer does

Dealer gets cover letter and a complete copy of form 4.

Customer gets CLEO copy only.

The reason you get a cover letter with a form 1 is because you are the one who submitted it. With a form 4 the dealer submitted, so they get the cover letter.

I've submitted many efile form 4s for customers, I've gotten every cover letter, they have all only gotten the CLEO copy, and I did digital prints with all but one, and it was the same for that one.
Link Posted: 3/16/2022 10:42:57 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 3/16/2022 12:05:39 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I know what you said. Which is why that answer says all you’ll get it the CLEO Copy.

The dealer gets the cover sheet, as they’re the one responsible for submitting the prints. You get the CLEO Copy, as you’re the one responsible for notifying CLEO. Not saying it works this way in the real world, but that’s how the responsibilities are split if you read the instructions.
View Quote

Ah, OK thanks.  I was just going by my F1 experience, which is obviously different because I’m the only party on the F1 whereas the F4 has transferor and transferee responsibilities.
Link Posted: 3/16/2022 12:24:19 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Customers don't get the cover letter. The dealer does

Dealer gets cover letter and a complete copy of form 4.
View Quote

My dealer sent me the cover letter, so yeah, you're right. But, the dealer should forward the customer a copy.

I actually got all the docs forwarded from the dealer at once. Cover letter, CLEO copy, "Submitted" copy with my ugly mug pic..
Link Posted: 3/17/2022 7:36:59 AM EDT
[#29]
My dealer/ATF/SS are still playing the blame game with one another.
Link Posted: 3/18/2022 3:24:04 AM EDT
[#30]
Exact same here!  Hopefully soon!
Link Posted: 3/18/2022 8:05:17 AM EDT
[#31]
LGS is up to 6 approved now.
Link Posted: 3/18/2022 8:11:46 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
LGS is up to 6 approved now.
View Quote

Do you know what the submissions dates were?
Link Posted: 3/18/2022 8:20:37 AM EDT
[#33]
Experienced E Form guys:

My local FFL/SOT is awesome, however they are not ready to try the e-filing again.

I’m hoping to bribe them into trying.

Has it gotten better? Can you reliably submit an application without glitches?  Any good news?

Other than obviously allowing them the opportunity to get cans in hands quicker and thereby possibly increase sales, can you offer any words of encouragement that I could pass along?
Link Posted: 3/18/2022 9:03:53 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Do you know what the submissions dates were?
View Quote

I think he enter a lot when it first went online because he had a month worth that waited instead of doing paper.

12/23
12/28
12/23
1/12
1/11
12/23
Link Posted: 3/18/2022 9:07:02 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

I think he enter a lot when it first went online because he had a month worth that waited instead of doing paper.

12/23
12/28
12/23
1/12
1/11
12/23
View Quote

Thanks. I've likely got a bit to go, but if it comes back in May I'll still be happy.
Link Posted: 3/18/2022 9:16:18 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Experienced E Form guys:

My local FFL/SOT is awesome, however they are not ready to try the e-filing again.

Has it gotten better? Can you reliably submit an application without glitches?  Any good news?

Other than obviously allowing them the opportunity to get cans in hands quicker and thereby possibly increase sales, can you offer any words of encouragement that I could pass along?
View Quote

For dealers submitting on their own, without using SS FullAuto software, there has never been many issues. The only issue I've encountered is a few times the .gov payment site has been down.
Link Posted: 3/18/2022 9:37:53 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

For dealers submitting on their own, without using SS FullAuto software, there has never been many issues. The only issue I've encountered is a few times the .gov payment site has been down.
View Quote

Thank you!!
Link Posted: 3/18/2022 9:48:56 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Experienced E Form guys:

View Quote

I have not ran into any issues using the new system. It could be a little more polished. But it works.

I do not have a print scanner. So I've mailed all my cards in.

Overall it's a great improvement over the old system and paper. Takes 10 or 15 minutes to enter all the info.  The longest  part is finding the CLEO info for the transferee.
Link Posted: 3/18/2022 9:54:53 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 3/18/2022 9:57:16 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

I’m assuming you’re a dealer?

Wouldn’t it be a lot easier to just send everything to a state-level CLEO? That way you only need to know one name for every single customer. That’s what my dealer does, and it’s what SS does.
View Quote

I just use the county, most of my customers are from one of two counties, and they have the sheriffs emails listed on the county gov website.
Link Posted: 3/18/2022 11:24:58 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Wouldn’t it be a lot easier to just send everything to a state-level CLEO? That way you only need to know one name for every single customer. That’s what my dealer does, and it’s what SS does.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Overall it's a great improvement over the old system and paper. Takes 10 or 15 minutes to enter all the info.  The longest  part is finding the CLEO info for the transferee.

I am a dealer. And while that does work. And may be easier.  I assure you that the local Sheriff is more likely to file 13 that notification than the State CLEO.  
Link Posted: 3/18/2022 2:44:25 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote

I have a silly question about finger prints since I'm seeing a lot of talk about digital vs mailing in.

I have 2 e filed cans, I've received the "submitted/in process email" from the atf (for both). I only had to take a new picture. No mention of prints needed from either dealer when we certified/submitted (with SS).

I did my prints originally on the SS kiosk a while ago when I did my first paper form 4 submissions (before e file was a thing). Do I not need to do anything, prints wise, because SS already has them on file? Sorry if this is a dumb question.
Link Posted: 3/18/2022 2:56:31 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

I have a silly question about finger prints since I'm seeing a lot of talk about digital vs mailing in.

I have 2 e filed cans, I've received the "submitted/in process email" from the atf (for both). I only had to take a new picture. No mention of prints needed from either dealer when we certified/submitted (with SS).

I did my prints originally on the SS kiosk a while ago when I did my first paper form 4 submissions (before e file was a thing). Do I not need to do anything, prints wise, because SS already has them on file? Sorry if this is a dumb question.
View Quote
You are GTG. Your prints are good forever. Your pic needs to be updated annually I think.  (For new submissions)
Link Posted: 3/18/2022 3:00:21 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
You are GTG. Your prints are good forever. Your pic needs to be updated annually I think.  (For new submissions)
View Quote

Excellent. Thank you. I figured since your prints never change (and I'm sure my dealer would have told me).

I can confirm your picture needs to be updated annually. I think there's also a countdown on your SS account by your picture.
Link Posted: 3/18/2022 4:02:37 PM EDT
[#45]
I am a SOT dealer and the first Form 4 on Eforms I sent it was a close friend of mine. Long story short, he has a trust and did not date the RPQ paper (and I didnt check because I assumed he had enough sense to date it). Submitted it 1/4 and got the following email back "DISAPPROVED - INCOMPLETE FORM". My question is, does this mean I will have to completely resubmit the form 4, or is there a way I can just resend a dated RPQ paper? I cannot see anyway in eforms to get reupload it.
Link Posted: 3/18/2022 5:03:06 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 3/18/2022 7:01:53 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Yes. That’s the entire point of a trust in the first place. (Not specific to trusts created for NFA reasons)
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Do you HAVE to have a beneficiary on the trust? Hope not, because I didn't list one and have never heard that this needed to be done to have it approved...

A beneficiary is not required for a trust.
The Silencer Shop Single Shot Trust doesn't require it and its the most used trust on the market.

Depending on who wrote the trust and state law, the RP might be named as a grantor, settlor, trustee, member, etc.

Listing a beneficiary is not necessary, it will be the heir named in your will, or, if you don't have a will, the beneficiary will be the person(s) who would inherit from you under state law
Link Posted: 3/21/2022 10:28:43 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

I have not ran into any issues using the new system. It could be a little more polished. But it works.

I do not have a print scanner. So I've mailed all my cards in.

View Quote

So, the horror stories about inputting data, getting to the submit stage, and it locks up, unless you're doing it at 3 AM, etc., are no more?

Link Posted: 3/21/2022 10:43:20 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

So, the horror stories about inputting data, getting to the submit stage, and it locks up, unless you're doing it at 3 AM, etc., are no more?

View Quote

They're still happening, but with less frequency.

And all it takes is one change on the ATF efile website and SS has to go spend a week or more fixing their software.
Link Posted: 3/21/2022 12:33:45 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View Quote

I've done a dozen certifications since Thursday. MUCH better than the week before.
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top