Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/21/2024 4:49:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: PerfectDark2023]
Hi, I'm a new member. I recently got an A1 hybrid upper fron Sanders and it looks mostly good, except the front sight is canted quite a few degrees to the right. I contacted them about it and they assured me that they check each one before sending them out, but asked for pictures as well. So I sent them the same ones I'll post here. I'm not 100% certain if I'm just being overly worried about nothing. Also, advice on how to tix it would be appreciated, because they haven't responded after receiving my pics. That was at least few days ago.

Imgur gallery of the upper in question on a lower

Is this much ado about a relatively minor issue? Am I being over dramatic in saying that I'm somewhat disappointed with the sights being offset like this? Is this an easy fix?
Link Posted: 5/21/2024 4:55:00 PM EDT
[#1]
I got a PSA upper that was way off.  Yours looks like it will zero and doubt it will be an issue.  I sent my PSA back and they fixed it.    I’d shoot it and see where it prints.
Link Posted: 5/21/2024 4:59:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: HighpowerRifleBrony] [#2]
Doesn't bode well, but how does it boresight*/zero?

*with the Mk1 eyeball, not that laser crap.
Link Posted: 5/21/2024 5:47:01 PM EDT
[#3]
The FSB may very well be true to the barrel, and the canting due to the assembly method.  If a barrel nut is tightened while the barrel is held by a reaction rod, or barrel clamp, there can be a tendency for the upper receiver to rotate slightly to the left.  When the barrel nut is tightened while the upper receiver is held by a clamshell, or similar device, there is a tendency for the barrel and FSB to move to the left.  In either case it is due to the index pin compressing against the side of the slot, and if overly torqued can actually indent the slot.  I'd be willing to bet if you broke that nut loose and clamped the receiver and torqued it back down the FSB would move to the left, perhaps enough to square it up.
Link Posted: 5/21/2024 6:13:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By VASCAR2:
I got a PSA upper that was way off.  Yours looks like it will zero and doubt it will be an issue.  I sent my PSA back and they fixed it.    I’d shoot it and see where it prints.
View Quote

This right here. It may very well be canted but does not look that bad in your photos. Go shoot it and see how it does.
Link Posted: 5/21/2024 6:47:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 5/22/2024 8:30:59 AM EDT
[#6]
To my very untrained eye that looks like an airsoft or air gun. The safety selector looks strange to me.

My apologies in advance if I am just uniformed.
Link Posted: 5/22/2024 11:03:31 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By s4s4u:
The FSB may very well be true to the barrel, and the canting due to the assembly method.  If a barrel nut is tightened while the barrel is held by a reaction rod, or barrel clamp, there can be a tendency for the upper receiver to rotate slightly to the left.  When the barrel nut is tightened while the upper receiver is held by a clamshell, or similar device, there is a tendency for the barrel and FSB to move to the left.  In either case it is due to the index pin compressing against the side of the slot, and if overly torqued can actually indent the slot.  I'd be willing to bet if you broke that nut loose and clamped the receiver and torqued it back down the FSB would move to the left, perhaps enough to square it up.
View Quote

Thank you for elaborating on how to (probably) fix this. I guess I'm just being a bit OCD about alignment.

For everyone asking how it shoots, I honestly don't know.  I haven't tried firing it, yet.

Lastly, for the guy who said the selector looks unfamiliar, or like an airgun; the lower has a Franklin Armory BFS 3 (binary) trigger and selector.
Link Posted: 5/22/2024 11:13:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 556Cliff] [#8]
Definitely shoot it first and see how your windage adjustments end up. If they are way off center then it's time to either send it back in to have it corrected or do as s4s4u recommended. But, if it's way off on windage to where it's nearly bottomed out on one side it's going to require sending it back, because that wouldn't be correctable through the barreling method alone.
Link Posted: 5/23/2024 12:05:59 AM EDT
[#9]
Shoot first.

Complain second.

Unless you only planned to just look at it, and never shoot it.
Link Posted: 5/23/2024 12:22:31 AM EDT
[#10]
Can you zero it?
Link Posted: 5/23/2024 3:25:47 PM EDT
[#11]
Did you take the handguards off to see I they are what’s making it look a bit crooked?

As others said it will probably zero just fine.
Link Posted: 5/24/2024 8:58:40 PM EDT
[#12]
I'll chime in with the others who recommend shoot it and see, but it's too bad the maker ghosted on you.

Maybe they'll be more responsive after the long weekend. If you shoot it first you'll have more information to give them.
Link Posted: 5/24/2024 9:32:04 PM EDT
[#13]
You can rig a pointer stick and see where it aligns

Colt 6933 Front Sight Block "cant" measurement

https://www.ar15.com/forums/AR-15/AR-15-Front-Sight-Post-cant-Gauge-How-to-build-your-own-/4-767093/

Link Posted: 5/31/2024 4:34:46 AM EDT
[Last Edit: PerfectDark2023] [#14]
View Quote

Oh, that's actually a great/quick at-home test I can do with an alignment rod.
Thanks.

I guess I'll try that first, then possibly try to zero it traditionally. I may post back depending on how either goes. If not, just assume no news is probably good news, though.
Link Posted: 5/31/2024 9:11:18 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 556Cliff] [#15]
Originally Posted By PerfectDark2023:

Thanks.

I guess I'll try that first, then possibly try to zero it traditionally. I may post back depending on how either goes. If not, just assume no news is probably good news, though.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By PerfectDark2023:

Thanks.

Keep in mind that you can indeed have perfect FSB alignment according to the alignment rod and still end up with windage that's far from centered. You can also have a canted FSB according to the alignment rod and have centered windage... It's funny the way it is.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top