Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/22/2021 1:04:04 PM EDT
In the interest of full disclosure, this is not my original idea. I initially bought the BRD product and after trying to use it a couple of times decided to request a RMA# for return. I was given a full refund and told to keep it. I threw it in the parts bin for a while then later got it out, looked it over and decided to design my own gauge, much improved, better designed.

My design went thru several months of development. Numerous design inefficiency’s with the other product led me to develop a gauge that uses a telescoping internal rod. I spent a lot of money and time trying different outer tube diameters, internal tube diameters, wall thicknesses and later settled on a 9/16” transfer punch which easily clears the base of the site tower and bunny ears and all front BUIS.

This gauge will work on every type gun whether using pinned on front sights are floating rails with BUIS.

I have a lot of videos on my youtube page showing gauge development and testing on a lot of guns.

To date I have tested 14 Colts with pinned on A2 front sight posts and all measure PERFECT.

Both my US Ordnance built Colt Reissues have or had clocked front sights. US Ordnance repaired one and I repaired the other.

Both my Colts with factory installed rails were shown to have serious clocking of the front BUIS. I have fixed one, my Colt EPR,  but have not had time to work on the Colt Trooper F yet.

The front  BUIS on my franken gun rails are all perfect. I have videos of those on my youtube page as well.

I am providing you with all the info to build your own gauge. I have zero interest in trying to build and sell these gauges, thus I am giving you all the key information in the build video.

Here are a couple of videos, the first video shows the gauge in early development used on a Colt OEM 1. The second video is the build video which shows you how to build the gauge so you can build your own.

Colt OEM1 Front Sight "cant" measurement.

AR-15 Front Sight Post Gauge Build Instructions and Parts list.

Link Posted: 9/21/2021 11:15:36 PM EDT
[#1]
2 Videos, Colt EPR with clocked front BUIS , before and after.

Colt EPR Clocked front sight

Link Posted: 9/21/2021 11:22:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Colt 6933

Colt 6933 Front Sight Block "cant" measurement
Link Posted: 9/21/2021 11:23:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Sig Sauer 300 BO MCX Virtus

Sig Sauer MCX Virtus 300 Blackout Front Sight "cant" measurement
Link Posted: 9/21/2021 11:25:16 PM EDT
[#4]
US Ordnance Colt Reissue repaired. The picture shows how much the front sight was canted before the repair in the video.

Colt M16A1 front sight block re-alignment
Link Posted: 9/21/2021 11:36:56 PM EDT
[#5]
This picture shows the "cant" in the FSB on my Colt GAU 5/A/A. Not that bad really but not perfect like a factory built Colt. US Ordnance repaired this at their factory by replacing the entire barrel. US Ordnance really did a great job and were fantastic to work with.

Link Posted: 9/21/2021 11:42:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for this! I've had issues with the BRDE alignment gauge as well and I've been trying to find a better solution, so I've been watching your alignment gauge videos with interest.

I also have a Colt carry handle that I wouldn't mind removing the rear sight on just to dedicate it to these alignment gauges!

By the way, you know why Colt FSBs are dead center while most other manufacturers are off? Colt actually installs the FSBs (at least on their factory complete rifles/uppers) after the barrel is installed onto the upper. They drill the taper pin holes while keeping everything lined up using a similar method as your gauge mounted in a carry handle.

Plus, Colt's barrel installation machine probably isn't compatible with barrels that have installed FSBs... So two birds with one stone in a way?
Link Posted: 9/21/2021 11:46:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/21/2021 11:55:44 PM EDT
[#8]
This is a Colt OEM2 that comes with the stock USGI Barrel nut. I installed a Troy rail and it fit perfect. To be honest I was stunned with how the rail monted to the barrel nut that it would be perfect.

Colt OEM2 Front sight "cant" gauge testing

Link Posted: 9/22/2021 12:01:18 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
that's a nifty tool.  well done.

for homebuilt rifles, I have found that squaring the receiver face with a lapping tool can even out high spots on the adonizing and help line up a crooked barrel
View Quote

For home built rifles I use only BCM thermal fit uppers. Thermal fits eliminate the need to bed or lap. They work great. Here is one of my homebult rifles.

AR-15 Front Sight Post "cant" Gauge Build Instructions Coming Soon!
Link Posted: 9/22/2021 12:04:33 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Thanks for this! I've had issues with the BRDE alignment gauge as well and I've been trying to find a better solution, so I've been watching your alignment gauge videos with interest.

I also have a Colt carry handle that I wouldn't mind removing the rear sight on just to dedicate it to these alignment gauges!

By the way, you know why Colt FSBs are dead center while most other manufacturers are off? Colt actually installs the FSBs (at least on their factory complete rifles/uppers) after the barrel is installed onto the upper. They drill the taper pin holes while keeping everything lined up using a similar method as your gauge mounted in a carry handle.

Plus, Colt's barrel installation machine probably isn't compatible with barrels that have installed FSBs... So two birds with one stone in a way?
View Quote

BRD product is a good idea, and they could improve it a lot by machinging down the front of the 3/8 punch to 1/8. I solved that issue by going to a 9/16 punch in the inner telescoping rod. Most of my videos shows a pointer made out of a ground down pin gauge, but I went away from that as its easier to buy the 9/16 punch than griniding down a pin gauge. Easier for other people to copy.

My design uses much higher quality tubing than what they are buying at Home depot.

Comparison of BRD AR-15 Front Sight Block Gauge to my New Design

Link Posted: 9/22/2021 12:53:08 AM EDT
[#11]
I have very simple inexpensive gauge setup in devlopment that anyone can make to verify that the 10 holes in the lower reciever are drilled in the correct locations. Im not talking about Go / No go on the diameters, but the actual hole locations themselves. Will debut that on my youtube channel in a few days when I have some extra time to film it.
Link Posted: 9/22/2021 3:24:26 AM EDT
[#12]
The MKI eyeball is good enough for me. You guys have some serious OCD.
Link Posted: 9/22/2021 10:00:56 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I have very simple inexpensive gauge setup in devlopment that anyone can make to verify that the 10 holes in the lower reciever are drilled in the correct locations. Im not talking about Go / No go on the diameters, but the actual hole locations themselves. Will debut that on my youtube channel in a few days when I have some extra time to film it.
View Quote

That should be interesting... I'd expect Anderson lowers to fail that type of gauging big time.
Link Posted: 9/22/2021 10:09:12 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

I've done the eyeball method for flat top carbines because I don't have a gage for them, I don't suspect my eye to be so precise as a gauge though.

I have a rifle length FSB alignment gauge that I bought from ArmaLite back in 2004 and it's definitely one of my favorite tools in my collection since they discontinued them... I just wish I bought the carbine and midlength alignment gauges when I had the chance. I guess I'm an idiot for thinking that carbines and especially midlengths would never really catch on.

Oh, and dang right about the OCD.
Link Posted: 9/22/2021 10:58:30 AM EDT
[#15]
Thank you OTDR !
Have to order some other stuff from M-C today anyway, so will build one of these ASAP, since I have a front , clamp-on sight, that
I just bedded the barrel on.
It has always been a pain aligning that thing up.
Link Posted: 9/22/2021 11:17:00 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

That should be interesting... I'd expect Anderson lowers to fail that type of gauging big time.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'd expect you would be wrong.  Not a fan boy of any brand, but my admittedly limited but not insignificant experience with lower fit informs me that Anderson's stripped lower receiver hole placement has been as "in spec" as any others.
Link Posted: 9/22/2021 11:32:09 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I'd expect you would be wrong.  Not a fan boy of any brand, but my admittedly limited but not insignificant experience with lower fit informs me that Anderson's stripped lower receiver hole placement has been as "in spec" as any others.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'd actually happily hope to be wrong about Anderson, I've just heard too many issues with them for them to gain my trust just yet... Plus I hate paying Aero prices for lowers if I really don't have to.

And I've actually built up a bunch of Anderson lowers for people and didn't really see any issues with them besides their roll pin hole placement for the bolt catch... Still worked though. I'm just not ready to trust them for myself yet despite my own experience with them.
Link Posted: 9/22/2021 12:26:10 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

I freely admit to being serious OCD, but not in this case. I shoot 100% irons only. I don't even own any red dots or scopes so I want my irons perfectly straight. Having to crank the windage all the way to the left or right is a crutch purposely built into the design to make up for problems in the gun. I want to eliminate those problems.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Also consider it only cost a few dollars to make these quality gauges, so why not?

Do a google search on AR-15 clocked front sights, there are literally 1000s of threads about clocked front sights and the need to max out the windage, 1000's of threads, there everywhere on every forum.

It may not always be the pinned front sight on the barrel, it could be an out of spec upper or clocked barrel extension, that always needs to be considered. This gauge tells you "you have a problem", then figure it out from there.
Link Posted: 9/22/2021 12:27:45 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote

Well guess what? Were going to find out. I have not checked an Anderson yet.  I am going to buy a Anderson lower and we will match it up and see how it fares on all 10 hole placement locations. Stay tuned. Should have some time by the weekend.
Link Posted: 9/22/2021 12:34:00 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Thank you OTDR !
Have to order some other stuff from M-C today anyway, so will build one of these ASAP, since I have a front , clamp-on sight, that
I just bedded the barrel on.
It has always been a pain aligning that thing up.
View Quote

If you have any questions PM me and we can discuss.

I put a lot of time and money into the R&D of this gauge trying numerous different types of tubing and I am giving the information away FREE, not my original idea and I have no intent to make any to sell. Everyone can build their own. By having a telescoping internal rod the length of the outer rod it ensures the rods are straight.

In most of my videos, early development I used a pin gauge ground down to a point. I have gone away from that as its to much trouble for people to easily copy. And I wanted it to be easy. I went to a different wall thickness "inner tube" with a much smaller center hole that tightly accepts a 9/16 transfer punch. Simplifies building them.

And the fact that 14 Colts with pinned on A2 front sights are all perfectly straight proves the integrity of the gauge design.
Link Posted: 9/22/2021 12:43:24 PM EDT
[#21]
About 2 months ago I bought a new in box Colt Trooper R. The first thing I did after taking it out of the box was put a BUIS on the front end of the rail and checked it with the gauge. Its clocked and I was disappointed. I have not investigated this one yet but I will make a BEFORE video tonight so you can see how much its clocked before I start working on it. That will come later tonight.
Link Posted: 9/22/2021 1:04:04 PM EDT
[#22]
Topic Moved
Link Posted: 9/22/2021 9:38:05 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Well guess what? Were going to find out. I have not checked an Anderson yet.  I am going to buy a Anderson lower and we will match it up and see how it fares on all 10 hole placement locations. Stay tuned. Should have some time by the weekend.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Awesome! I can't wait! I know it will be a sample size of one, but heck, it might help in my ongoing mental battle to convince me on Anderson lowers.
Link Posted: 9/22/2021 10:45:47 PM EDT
[#24]
Good info. I will likely use it and build a gauge. Thanks again!
Link Posted: 9/22/2021 11:33:17 PM EDT
[#25]
Tonight I measured the front sight post "cant" on a new Colt Trooper R, some interesting results but what I already knew.

Link Posted: 9/22/2021 11:43:06 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Awesome! I can't wait! I know it will be a sample size of one, but heck, it might help in my ongoing mental battle to convince me on Anderson lowers.
View Quote

Picking up the Anderson Lower tomorrow and we will see by the weekend.

Link Posted: 9/24/2021 10:14:27 AM EDT
[#27]
My Colt Trooper R canted front sight is fixed.

Part 2 and Part 3 videos

Link Posted: 9/24/2021 4:49:19 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote

Going to find out soon. Paid $44.95 + tax to find out. It was kind of embarrasing going into the LGS and asking for an Anderson Lower lol.

Link Posted: 9/25/2021 6:48:42 PM EDT
[#29]
Strong work!  Here's a one-piece version.

Link Posted: 9/25/2021 7:20:47 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
It was kind of embarrasing going into the LGS and asking for an Anderson Lower lol.
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/25/2021 7:24:35 PM EDT
[#31]

That's similar to the alignment gauge that Randall from AR15Barrels.com uses. I was about to do the same until I saw OTDR's much improved version of BRDE's alignment gauge.
Link Posted: 9/25/2021 8:18:07 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/25/2021 8:21:32 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Going to find out soon. Paid $44.95 + tax to find out. It was kind of embarrasing going into the LGS and asking for an Anderson Lower lol.

https://i.imgur.com/EsyzyHJ.jpg
View Quote

I always try and buy a bunch of other crap, and at the very end, come in real close to the counter guy, "pss, grab me one of the $50 Andys from the back to would ya." "I'll start the form, but keep your voice down."  

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 9/25/2021 9:59:30 PM EDT
[#34]

The problem with that design is it has the same limitations as the others, the tip is to big. Needs machined down to about 1/8 at the point, back about 1". It impacts the base of the tower and you have to lift it up and it wont work with BUISs.

I looked at all these designs and decided to make something a lot better, that anyone could easily make at home with a hacksaw blade and a file.

I recommend a NEW 32 tooth blade, file the ends down smoth, remove the inetrnal and external flash at the edges, (very important) and then blow em clean with jet spary gum out, air dry, blue the ends with any gun blue by dipping the ends into the bottle, lube up, loctitite the pointer which is already an interference fit into the internal tube and done.

MEASURE TWICE, cut once lol. You can make them whatever length best suits the guns you have. You dont have to make all 3.

That inner rod is a PERFECT interference fit and is hi quality tubing that shines inside like a cylinder bore and you have a 0 wall clearance between the inner and outer tubes, innner rod slids like its on ball bearings after lubing it. These tubes come from McMaster Carr with a certificate of accuracy.

The 9/16 transfer punch is also a perfect interference fit in the inner tube and doesnt have to be glued in with loctitie, but I do.

The outer tube snaps easily into the detachable carry handle.

I bought a lot of different tubing from McMaster Carr till I found the perfect combinations, spent a lot of money and time on this and wanted to share it FREE with the AR community as its not my original idea. But I did development it a lot further.

Link Posted: 9/25/2021 11:28:37 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 9/28/2021 1:29:00 AM EDT
[#36]
Sig Sauer 308 with Monolithic Rail has a small amount of front sight "cant". Kind of disappointing since its a Monolithic. This is out of my skill set to try and figure out how to correct it so leaving it as is.

Link Posted: 10/12/2021 6:02:18 PM EDT
[#37]
Made these to use OP's design gauge in a pair of QD scope mounts:

Sorry for image fuzzyness
Link Posted: 10/13/2021 12:27:41 AM EDT
[#38]

Thats awesome Cressida !!!  Great job. Glad to see someone made a gauge and even enhanced improvements.
Link Posted: 10/13/2021 12:54:03 PM EDT
[#39]
I think I found something cheaper than bushings machined out of a aluminum,
the plastic bushings used to center a grind stone on a bench grinder.
Ordered in a pair of 1" od by 1/2" id by 1" wide, and will split them with a hack saw.
Will let you all know when I get them.
Cheapest place on line is on eBay, here: plastic bushings
Order p/n 51002
About $11 to my door for 2 bushings. Others have them cheaper, but then shipping kills you.
Maybe try some local hardware stores first.
Link Posted: 10/14/2021 2:42:39 AM EDT
[#40]
@OTDR

Is the reason you say the small and mid length versions are for fixed carry handle is so the rear sight doesn't need to be removed before using the alignment gauge?

I have 3 fixed handle AR's: one with a 20" barrel (Colt SP1) and 2 with 16" barrels and would like to build just one gauge for use on all of them. What length would you suggest?

Appreciate you sharing this information!

Link Posted: 10/14/2021 8:26:17 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
@OTDR

Is the reason you say the small and mid length versions are for fixed carry handle is so the rear sight doesn't need to be removed before using the alignment gauge?

I have 3 fixed handle AR's: one with a 20" barrel (Colt SP1) and 2 with 16" barrels and would like to build just one gauge for use on all of them. What length would you suggest?

Appreciate you sharing this information!

View Quote

Buy the 2 three foot sections of tubes and transfer punch shwon in the build video, then custom cut to fit your shortest rifle and it will be long enough for your other gun. The transfer punch is quite long and can be extended out another inch before gluing it in. Measure 3X before cutting lol. So in other words custom fit for your application.

The end that goes into the fixed carry handle needs the cut end filed and buffed smooth before pressing it into the carry handle to avoid scratching the inside of your carry handle.

Link Posted: 10/14/2021 6:01:25 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Buy the 2 three foot sections of tubes and transfer punch shwon in the build video, then custom cut to fit your shortest rifle and it will be long enough for your other gun. The transfer punch is quite long and can be extended out another inch before gluing it in. Measure 3X before cutting lol. So in other words custom fit for your application.

The end that goes into the fixed carry handle needs the cut end filed and buffed smooth before pressing it into the carry handle to avoid scratching the inside of your carry handle.

View Quote

Thanks for the follow up on this.

I've already torn down one upper and lapped the receiver face because windage had to be adjusted so far to the side to get on zero. It was bad...  I'd like to know all is aligned before getting on the firing line with it.
Link Posted: 10/14/2021 7:14:10 PM EDT
[#43]
double tap
Link Posted: 10/14/2021 8:30:57 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

I've already torn down one upper and lapped the receiver face because windage had to be adjusted so far to the side to get on zero. It was bad...  I'd like to know all is aligned before getting on the firing line with it.
View Quote

The shortest of the 3 gauges should work for both Fixed integrated carry handle Carbine and Fixed integrated carry handle Rifle length. Thats the beauty of the internal rod being almost the same length as the outter rod, and being a perfect interference sliding fit, it can extend way out and stay "true".

Though this wouldnt apply in your current situation but for others, Just FYI one way to avoid lapping the front of the receiver is to use BCM thermal fit uppers. Once you heat the upper to get the barrel in, it cools off with the death grip on the barrel so no matter how much the front face may be off, tightening the barrel nut down isnt going to skew the barrel. However it is when the upper cools off is how its going to be even before the barrel nut is installed and torqued.

I have done 4 BCM themral fit uppers and all were perfect on front sight alignment. No lapping and no beading. I just picked up a couple more BCM thermal fit uppers today.

I have done several more videos on my u tube page that I didn't add to this thread. Colt Monolithic up shortly.
Link Posted: 10/14/2021 8:36:17 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote

I dont like having to do that at all, that windage knob is there to compensate for samething thats F'ed UP!

Its like they know when they mass produce these guns somethings going to be off so thus the windage knob lol.

All 14 of my factory Colts I have tested are PERFECT! All 4 of my BCM thermal fit upper builds are perfect. I had to fix 4 guns, now they all perfect.
Link Posted: 10/18/2021 7:48:48 PM EDT
[#46]
OK, got in the plastic bench grinder bushings.
Split them with hacksaw, and installed them in the QD mounts.
They work perfect
Easier than aluminum if you don't have a lathe, and really cheap.

Link Posted: 11/25/2021 3:21:21 PM EDT
[#47]
Colt XM16e1 Front Sight Post "cant" Gauge measurement.
Link Posted: 1/12/2022 9:44:30 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

https://i.imgur.com/EsyzyHJ.jpg
View Quote

Anderson Lower, Buffer to Buffer retaining Pin Clearance Measurement.

Buffer to Buffer Retaining Pin Clearance Measurement on a Anderson Lower

Link Posted: 1/13/2022 11:47:54 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Anderson Lower, Buffer to Buffer retaining Pin Clearance Measurement.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ahcVrZ8Nkok
View Quote

You're going to cause me to buy my first set of Anderson lowers... I just know it.

I'm certain they're better than the 3 lowers I got from Tactical Machining not too long ago. > Link.
Link Posted: 1/31/2022 10:04:04 PM EDT
[#50]
Getting ready to do my first A2 FSB. I'm going devise a way to use my laser bore sight on top of the A2 carry handle to align the FSB.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top