Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 5
Link Posted: 1/14/2018 6:46:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Sorry you got that POS looking bolt carrier group, OP. I've owned probably 10 or so BCM bolt carrier group's in the last 8 years and only had one that looked like shit. Didn't even bother contacting them about it because I already knew the response I'd receive. Just sold it to some dude who didn't care as long as it had that logo on it.

As for BCM's response to it, I'm not surprised. I've seen this same situation play out about 100 times on here. Someone chooses to pay $170 for the same thing they can get elsewhere for less than half, all because they either want that BCM logo on the side, or they trust in the products and are willing to pay for the piece of mind. Then they receive a POS like the OP did and BCM says sorry about your luck, it'll work just fine and you're stuck with it. As much as I like BCM, this kind of thing is really disappointing and BCM makes themselves look like real assholes when they respond this way. This isn't 2013 and there's a few company's that need to realize that before it's too late.

Good on Primary Arms for taking care of you, OP. I knew they would. That's the way they roll, making customer service a top priority.
Link Posted: 1/14/2018 7:41:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/14/2018 11:22:35 PM EDT
[#3]
I have a bunch of different brand bcgs but none from them.  I was going to try one of theirs next due to their good reputation. Ordered another toolcraft instead.
Link Posted: 1/14/2018 11:26:51 PM EDT
[#4]
That BCM reaponse is sad . I wanted their BCG for my first build but didn't want to pay their full price. I ended with Spikes BCG when they were on sale in PA and doesn't look like the OP. The machining  is smooth and so when Cycling by hand. Still need to shoot it. I just finish my first build, it is also my first AR. So so proud here.
Link Posted: 1/14/2018 11:48:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Yeah BCM has always been a joke to me... this is the first and last time I order their products due to poor customer service and their idea of good products... I won't run Spikes anymore, only because I like to stick to the actual manufacturers of parts... It's cheaper that way. However, I have several spikes BCG's and all have been flawless. Aero Precision and Toolcraft are my main manufacturers, considering they make parts for a ton of other firearms companies. I only run Ballistic Advantage barrels... which are now owned by Aero Precision.
Link Posted: 1/14/2018 11:51:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Just read through all this........and I'd have to agree with the comments on Toolcraft......I have been doing business with them for 15 years.......on a couple of occasions I have strayed from them and regretted it......their quality is both consistent and top shelf.......and their staff is phenomenal. If you need a BCG, get tool craft and support one of the best companies in the Industry
View Quote
I couldn't agree more! Toolcraft has some of the smoothest machined bolts and the coatings on them are phenomenal! $75 shipped for a c158 5.56 BCG and $129 for a .308 bcg... can't beat it! They always function flawlessly and I've run thousands of rounds through them.
Link Posted: 1/15/2018 12:10:34 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I couldn't agree more! Toolcraft has some of the smoothest machined bolts and the coatings on them are phenomenal! $75 shipped for a c158 5.56 BCG and $129 for a .308 bcg... can't beat it! They always function flawlessly and I've run thousands of rounds through them.
View Quote
+1  Toolcraft has consitently provided the best BCGs I've used, at a fraction of the cost of others, while also offering great customer service.  I've also had great experiences with Right To Bear and Alpha Shooting Sports carriers.  With companies like these that can provide this level of quality, service, and price there is no excuse for the big names to charge double for poor quality machining then shine-on their customers.  If you pay for quality and customer service, and get neither, then what exactly did you buy?  Nothing but a logo.
Link Posted: 1/15/2018 12:32:16 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Yeah BCM has always been a joke to me... this is the first and last time I order their products due to poor customer service and their idea of good products... I won't run Spikes anymore, only because I like to stick to the actual manufacturers of parts... It's cheaper that way. However, I have several spikes BCG's and all have been flawless. Aero Precision and Toolcraft are my main manufacturers, considering they make parts for a ton of other firearms companies. I only run Ballistic Advantage barrels... which are now owned by Aero Precision.
View Quote
Agree 100%. Gonna keep toolcraft in mind for my next build.
Link Posted: 1/15/2018 12:46:59 AM EDT
[#9]
Just check my BCM rifle that I bought used and it is GTG.  Nothing like OP's.  No fault that I can see.  But still.  One does not expect such low quality and lousy response from BCM for the amount of premium they are charging.  Not cool.  
Link Posted: 1/16/2018 4:31:53 PM EDT
[#10]
@jockeyjames Any update? Please keep us posted.
Link Posted: 1/19/2018 2:02:47 AM EDT
[#11]
I have quite a few BCM BCG's in my rifles including one of their ION Bond versions.  But I just went to Right to Keep and Bear Arms and bought 2 Toolcraft BCG's for the remaining rifles I need them for instead of BCM's.  I hate to but not chancing on getting something like that considering the price you pay.

Got both Toolcrafts shipped for $143.15.  Less than 1 BCM would have cost.

Link if you're interested. $67.95 each
Link Posted: 1/19/2018 10:28:12 AM EDT
[#12]
BCM is correct that it doesn’t affect functionality, and heck you won’t even see it during use. But for the HUGE price premium they’re charging (it’s a $170 BCG!!) they need to do better than this.

They’ll probably regret taking this “f**k you customer” path. I surely hope so.
Link Posted: 1/19/2018 11:24:24 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
BCM is correct that it doesn’t affect functionality, and heck you won’t even see it during use. But for the HUGE price premium they’re charging (it’s a $170 BCG!!) they need to do better than this.

They’ll probably regret taking this “f**k you customer” path. I surely hope so.
View Quote
That was an experimental BCG, thats not machining marks. Those are special oil channels designed to hold the oil onto the BCG.

Next gen shit :D

jk of course.

Probably wont hurt, but I expect more from a BCM and I certainly expected better customer service. I was looking up grabbing an upper from them but maybe I will hold off and see how this plays out for a few months.
Link Posted: 1/20/2018 3:06:03 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
BCM's response and handling of this is pretty embarrassing. I'm really interested to see their response to PA pulling all their inventory on hand. I'm thinking a commercial customer complaining may not get the same, "go pound sand" response the OP had recieved.

In a more general sense, I've never bought into the whole mantra that BCM is head and shoulders above the majority of other AR manufacturers. If anything, they seem overpriced.

While the tool marks are largely cosmetic, this is not the only problem that's plagued their BCGs in recent times. Within the past 12 months, there have been a quite a few reports of extraction/ejection issues. IIRC, all problems were traced back to their extractor springs. What was really funny was the fanboys telling guys experiencing issues to replace the problem springs with BCM springs .

BCMs handling of the issues, however, wasn't so funny. Basically the same disinterested and condescending response the OP was subject to. Beyond that, BCM wasn't even taking care of the shipping costs (for those that were actually successful in convincing BCM to accept the return/inspection/repair).

This is not a good climate for gun makers to handle CS so poorly. For some reason, BCM just doesn't understand or seem to care about this reality. Perhaps their marketing budget is eating into their CS and QC funds? I can't imagine how much they must be paying all of those professional gunfighters.

On a related note, this would have been a much more entertaining thread if posted on TOS . An epic, but short lived, dumpster fire. Complete with a cornucopia of self-righteous bootlicking, account warnings, timeouts and bans. A thread lock would be inevitable. Or, would more likely be disappeared altogether.
View Quote
Not all that surprising, honestly.  I had a problem with one of the original KMR rails and received essentially the same “go pound sand” Email response.

Their CS leaves a lot to be desired.
Link Posted: 1/20/2018 3:31:19 AM EDT
[#15]
My experience with them was quite different, that is why I am surprised at the response here...

I had a BCM BCG that I had bought several years ago that didn't find a home until recently. Was having all kinds of issues with it with a new build that completely went away when I swapped out the BCG for another...

They asked me several questions on the steps used to trouble shoot, specs on the gun, lube etc... legitimate questions that help rule out other potential issues...

Sent it in and got a replacement in a reasonable amount of time and was good to go...

I have generally been pretty faithful with their Bolts and BCG and was about to order several more until this popped up... recently purchased one of the 9310 Nitride Toolcraft BCG from right 2 bear and looking to give that one a try soon...
Link Posted: 1/22/2018 10:29:05 PM EDT
[#16]
I had the same experience with a Stag BCG, here is a pic of the Nib BCG with the tool marks. I sent it back for a refund and ended up with a Toolcraft bcg coated by Cryptic coatings in Mystic Black. Huge difference in quality, the coated toolcraft feels as smooth as glass.

Stag BCG, I believe CMT is their supplier for these.

Toolcraft BCG w/ Mystic black coating

Link Posted: 1/23/2018 8:33:09 AM EDT
[#17]
I no longer buy from BCM after they told me that a BCG I bought from them wasn't theirs even though it was purchased direct but before they laser etched their logo on the bolt and carrier.

Screw them.
Link Posted: 1/23/2018 11:49:18 PM EDT
[#18]
I actually just ordered 3 Toolcraft BCG's the other day, looks like I made the right decision :).
Link Posted: 1/24/2018 8:55:55 AM EDT
[#19]
Man what a shame. BCMs response really surprised me. Primary arms is really a bunch of great people, glad they took care of you. They are local to me and have always been a pleasure to deal with when I go to their location.

I am far from picky on gun parts, especially when it comes to finish but these carriers are downright unacceptable and I would never accept that. The fact that bcm thinks that is acceptable makes me lose a lot of faith in their products.
Link Posted: 1/24/2018 8:57:47 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 1/24/2018 9:41:46 AM EDT
[#21]
Wow, that BCG looks bad but BCMs response is even worse. At one time they had the best customer service in the business. They stated in threads on TOS and in videos that they inspected every part they sourced and rejected a lot of crap that didn't meet their specs. They prided themselves on the quality of the product they sold and it was a quality product, I own a dozen of their uppers and BCGs. This is going to hurt their business and they may never recover. The firearms business is tough, you don't make a huge profit and CS has too be number one.

This happens too a lot of businesses from restaurants to firearms. You get popular, then you get swamped with business and you have too put more effort into maintaining the quality of your product. If you let the quality slide because you're busy and making big bucks it isn't long and you're going out of business.
Link Posted: 1/24/2018 12:05:30 PM EDT
[#22]
I was thinking of ordering up another enhanced LPK.
with this kind of crap being shipped, maybe not.
Maybe I will call them 1st and ask if there parts are still JUNK.

Anyone who says it's ok and that it dont matter should be kicked square in the balls.

It's people like that that makes the problem what it is.
Why fix something,  if half the people think it's fine.

Junk parts from China or who knows ware are fine, its the people who expect quality that are the problem.

Screw them.
Link Posted: 1/24/2018 12:07:56 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I was thinking of ordering up another enhanced LPK.
with this kind of crap being shipped, maybe not.
Maybe I will call them 1st and ask if there parts are still JUNK.

Anyone who says it's ok and that it dont matter should be kicked square in the balls.

It's people like that that makes the problem what it is.
Why fix something,  if half the people think it's fine.

Junk parts from China or who knows ware are fine, its the people who expect quality that are the problem.

Screw them.
View Quote
You better email, not call.  They have a policy not to answer their phones
Link Posted: 1/24/2018 12:45:49 PM EDT
[#24]
After reading of the issues and crappy CS in the industry forum......

Fuck them, they can keep there JUNK
Link Posted: 1/24/2018 4:49:16 PM EDT
[#25]
I've seen some of the links on where to purchase Toolcraft BCGs but what is the best place to buy them? From what I've seen in this thread, customer service is very important when looking at a go to supplier of any AR part. With that said, which Toolcraft seller has good customer service?
Link Posted: 1/24/2018 5:10:41 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I've seen some of the links on where to purchase Toolcraft BCGs but what is the best place to buy them? From what I've seen in this thread, customer service is very important when looking at a go to supplier of any AR part. With that said, which Toolcraft seller has good customer service?
View Quote
There are a lot of vendors that sell Toolcraft BCGs, but the one place with which I have personal experience is Cryptic Coatings.  They do high end coatings on top of the Toolcraft BCGs so obviously not a budget offering ($110 for black nitride or parkerized), but their peoducts and CS are outstanding.
Link Posted: 1/24/2018 5:37:19 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

There are a lot of vendors that sell Toolcraft BCGs, but the one place with which I have personal experience is Cryptic Coatings.  They do high end coatings on top of the Toolcraft BCGs so obviously not a budget offering ($110 for black nitride or parkerized), but their peoducts and CS are outstanding.
View Quote
Thanks. Appreciate the response.
Link Posted: 1/24/2018 6:15:25 PM EDT
[#28]
Just got my Toolcraft Black Nitride Bolt from RTB very nice finish will be my go to from now on.
Link Posted: 1/24/2018 6:15:55 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 1/24/2018 6:21:10 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 1/24/2018 7:47:03 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote
Right To Bear , you will not find a better company then these guys.  They always have great prices, fast shipping, and great customer support.  On top of that they have quite a few ToolCraft BCG's.. I prefer the C158 bolts and they have the parkerized ones for $68, and NIB ones for $90 pretty often.  Nitrated ones somewhere in the middle depending on if you want a 9310 or C158 bolt.
Link Posted: 1/24/2018 9:09:23 PM EDT
[#32]
Well it looks like BCM really fucked up. They could have just replaced the OPs Bolt carrier and all would have been well.  Instead they told him to get lost and in the process has lost hundreds of dollars in sales just based on the replies in this thread.  Never underestimate the power of Arfcom.  I recently had an issue with TNTE Sales over an A1 rear sight kit.  I paid a premium for a NOS part and received a reproduction DPMS sight kit worth $12 instead.  They insisted it was a NOS part even after I offered proof and refused to allow me to return it.  It wasn’t until I mentioned that I would be posting my experience with them in the retro forum here that they changed their tune.  There are too many choices these days to put up with shitty customer service.
Link Posted: 1/24/2018 10:08:12 PM EDT
[#33]
Too many competitive manufacturers for that kind of shoddy work to slide, especially when the only thing BCM used to offer was rock solid QC, service, and a name. Apparently just an expensive name now.
Link Posted: 1/24/2018 11:40:24 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote
+1
My first Toolcraft was a phosphate from Cryptic Coatings.  It is what turned me on to the quality of Toolcraft.

RTB is also an excellent company and has gotten most of my mad money this past year.  Real top notch guys!
Link Posted: 1/25/2018 12:48:19 AM EDT
[#35]
BCM seems to have made a change for the worse. At one time I was all about BCM but not anymore.
Link Posted: 1/25/2018 2:25:52 AM EDT
[#36]
Disappointed in how BCM handled this. I have a least 2 of the bcg's and they look much better than the OP's.

PA is a good bunch generally, couple years ago I bought a Spike's bcg that had an improperly staked gas key and the gas rings were
loose as hell. One of the nickle boron ones for $194.99, I rma'd it asking for a refund and they sent me another one lol.
But we got it straightened out eventually and they did pay the return shipping after initially asking me to mail it back
myself. Now that the market has cooled off companies are going to have to tighten their belts to keep the customer's
happy. Hopefully the panic buying days are behind us for a while at least...
Link Posted: 1/25/2018 4:41:16 AM EDT
[#37]
Won't affect function.
Meant for hard use.
Not intended to be a safe queen.............

However, none of the many I have look anything like that, and I wouldn't be satisfied.

You received the exact response from BCM as expected.
I believe they never look at the photos provided by customers, and just answer with a pre-written response.
Link Posted: 1/25/2018 5:14:11 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
BCM seems to have made a change for the worse. At one time I was all about BCM but not anymore.
View Quote
You’re obviously just not a professional trigger puller.
Link Posted: 1/25/2018 8:37:22 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

You're obviously just not a professional trigger puller.
View Quote
What does that have to do with anything?
Link Posted: 1/25/2018 8:49:07 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 1/25/2018 9:36:45 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You're obviously just not a professional trigger puller.
Sarcasm. You missed it.
Link Posted: 1/25/2018 9:46:02 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Won't affect function.
Meant for hard use.

However, none of the many I have look anything like that, and I wouldn't be satisfied.

You received the exact response from BCM as expected.
I believe they never look at the photos provided by customers, and just answer with a pre-written response.
View Quote
Agreed. All their customer service replies I've seen posted are identical, word for word.

I used to have a lot of respect for BCM. At one time they had excellent products and excellent service to back it up. The last few years it seems that's stopped. I believe their products are still good to go, it's their service that isn't. They just tell everyone with an issue to go pound sand. It's a shame that's what people are getting after CHOOSING to pay a very high premium for the BCM name.
Link Posted: 1/25/2018 10:59:29 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Sarcasm. You missed it.
View Quote
Yes, went way over my head lol
Link Posted: 1/25/2018 11:36:23 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Not worth a shit.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Won't affect function.
Meant for hard use.
Not worth a shit.
Well, when you clip out the other stuff I included, you make me sound like a BCM boot licker.
Not the case.
I was lucky to assemble 2 complete rifles some time ago, when QC was spon on.
Now, other places are are more than happy to create similar products, at better prices, with better CS.
Link Posted: 1/25/2018 11:41:04 AM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 1/25/2018 11:58:43 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

You’re obviously just not a professional trigger puller.
View Quote
No, just a regular joe
Link Posted: 1/25/2018 1:53:07 PM EDT
[#47]
That's not form over function, that's pennies over quality.

Are those few extra machine cycles to save a few cents on equipment really worth one's reputation?
Link Posted: 1/25/2018 2:41:54 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View Quote
Tom Tactical has always been good to me.

http://www.tomstactical.com/toolcraft-bcg-bolt-carrier-group-black-nitride-ar-15-m16-5.56-223
Link Posted: 1/25/2018 2:42:40 PM EDT
[#49]
Jesus, my bcm looks nothing like that but I now have serious doubts about the direction the company is headed.  If this was a DD BCG they would have probably given you a new rifle and replaced the machine and the guy who machined the parts.
Link Posted: 1/25/2018 4:09:56 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sarcasm. You missed it.
@Spooled

My comment was referring to a different thread with another excellent CS success from BCM.

When spending 19 seconds with your smart phone camera (again only if a red flag is tripped) is the determining factor of your willingness to run a professional quality BCM product to secure your home and family, you are not a serious trigger puller.
I love Bravo Co, and have spent thousands with them over the years, but I think they started believing their own hype over on TOS. They need to hire an experienced and dedicated CS person.
Page / 5
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top