Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/5/2016 4:27:45 AM EDT
hey guys,

after watching several vids/dvds and so on, im just curious if you can shoot a Glock 17 (without modifications) as flat as the following guys in the vids...

A) Ronin Tactics
He uses a VERY STRONG left hand for shooting flat, the right hand is mostly about trigger manipulation

B) Travis Haley
Travis talks a lot about torque in his dvd and pressing the palms of the hands together, like youre cracking a nut with em

C) Frank Proctor
Frank uses a lot of strength in his left hand, left hand should ride very high on the gun and his elbows arent completely bend

i know everyone has its own technique, but for me its still difficult to shoot the gun as flat as in one of these vids.
i tried different variations, but the muzzle is still flipping a bit.

i dont want to change anything on my glock (only sights and a bit of griptape), so im interested what you think about this topic!

thx!
Link Posted: 1/5/2016 4:32:50 AM EDT
[#1]
I shoot them flat. Push/pull grip, relaxed thumbs up, smooth trigger pull w./surprise burst
Link Posted: 1/5/2016 8:50:20 AM EDT
[#2]
147 grain lead bullet with 3.2 grains W 231 makes minor power factor that's how.

and lots of practice and skilz
Link Posted: 1/5/2016 9:47:59 AM EDT
[#3]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

147 grain lead bullet with 3.2 grains W 231 makes minor power factor that's how.

and lots of practice and skilz
View Quote
This. Its hard to tell what is going on without knowing the load.

Link Posted: 1/5/2016 10:46:12 AM EDT
[#4]
Ways to shoot flat:

Strong grip

powderpuff loads

light recoil spring

but mostly a strong-ass grip.
Link Posted: 1/5/2016 10:47:09 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

I shoot them flat. Push/pull grip, relaxed thumbs up, smooth trigger pull w./surprise burst
View Quote

lol WTF is "surprise burst"?

Link Posted: 1/5/2016 11:06:19 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Ways to shoot flat:

Strong grip
powderpuff loads
light recoil spring

but mostly a strong-ass grip.
View Quote

this
Link Posted: 1/5/2016 6:09:11 PM EDT
[#7]
Applying the basic fundamentals will allow you to run any stock handgun flat and at speed.
Link Posted: 1/6/2016 7:24:06 PM EDT
[#8]
There is much to be said for proper grip, stance, hold, arm placement, etc..  And, used properly, they willing take you far.

But once those ducks are in a row, if you want to do even better, look at Jerry Miculeks's forearms.... They look like that for a reason.
Link Posted: 1/6/2016 7:51:14 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 1/6/2016 7:55:36 PM EDT
[#10]
The actual height of muzzle flip is actually irrelevant, as long as the sights return to where they were.

This means managing muzzle flip/recoil, as opposed to controlling it.

The recoil cycle is over before you can reset the trigger. Trying to "stop" the gun will leave it pointing upwards. You can see this happen  

in a lot of YouTube videos of less skilled shooters

So the goal is to have a grip that returns the gun consistently.

This is hard to attain by muscling the gun.

See Brian Enos and Ron Avery especially.

edit: speeling.

Link Posted: 1/6/2016 8:01:56 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
The actual height of muzzle flip is actually irrelevant, as long as the sights return to where they were.

This means managing muzzle flip/recoil, as opposed to controlling it.

The recoil cycle is over before you can reset the trigger.

So the goal is to have a grip that returns the gun consistently.

This is hard to attain by muscling the gun.

See Brian Enos and Ron Avery especially.
View Quote

+1, Rob Leatham too.

Gorilla gripping increases fatigue and induces sympathetic nervous activity which can cause one to jerk a shot or flinch.

I used to gorilla grip the shit out of my guns until my instructors told me to bring it down to about a firm handshake. No more flinch, better times.

Obviously this isn't the case for all people, ymmv, but I imagine it's especially true for new or relatively inexperienced shooters.
Link Posted: 1/12/2016 12:29:48 PM EDT
[#12]
I subscribe to what Jerry and Kay teach at camps.  Focusing primarily on your support hand for recoil mitigation and control:

Basically, you simply squeeze the sides of your support hand evenly over your firing hand.  Fingertip-to-heel.
It's simple, easy to apply, don't have to think too much about it, and it's easily repeatable.

post-script: I shoot a stock 17 mostly, this technique works well for me.
Link Posted: 1/15/2016 2:55:21 PM EDT
[#13]
@AJE,

the vid was perfect!
pressure into the sides of the frame with both hands is a very important key!!!
Link Posted: 1/16/2016 6:38:47 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Premature Ej...... ?
Link Posted: 1/16/2016 9:51:47 PM EDT
[#15]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top