Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/7/2015 9:54:22 AM EDT
Thinned down version, but thought this was worth sharing here:

I previously attended CRCD (combat rifle/contact drills) in 2013 and also Combat Patrol in late October 2014.  I am a firm believer in “perishable skills” as it pertains to many things, particularly things that leverage muscle memory and hand/eye coordination. I am also a firm believer in spreading the word when you find something you like.  So…I dragged a buddy of mine along

Day 1, range training:
I’ve been shooting the AR platform for many years, but would not claim to be an expert.  I don’t want to spoil anything for anyone that might be considering the class, but I learned many things on day 1.  In particular, polishing up the basics such as various reloads (admin, tactical), ready-up, controlled pairs, etc.  The big learning experience was the malfunction training.  Not only did I learn about a few new types of malfunctions, but how to effectively clear them and also set them up (great “train the trainer” material).  The finale was the “race” where we ended up playing “f%!$ your buddy” activities…yep, screw your buddy with malfunctions and watch them identify them, clear them.  That was a really fun, useful, educational activity.

Day 1 evening, NODF:
I’ve previously used PVS14’s at the Combat Patrol class, so I would rate myself as “decently competent”, but again, not an expert by any stretch.  This class was PVS14’s plus IR lasers.  We started with sight-in, basic manipulation, ready-up drills, then a simulated raid on a camp, all under NODs.  Again, don’t want to spoil it, but suffice it to say, I learned several new things and identified those things that require further practice/training.  

Day 2 began with chalk-talk/whiteboard, covering the basics and covering react-to-contact.  This was the preparation phase for operating in buddy pairs, communication, fire and movement, etc.  In keeping with the “Crawl, Walk, Run,” mantra, this was the crawl phase, possibly migrating into some walking (figuratively).  Day 2 was a great combination of classroom learning combined with putting what was learned into practice in buddy pairs, then working up to squad level movement. Clear understanding of “Contact Front/Left/Right” was achieved as well as returning fire, getting off the “x” and returning appropriate fire.  Corrections were provided where needed, but in a constructive manner, no ego, no belittling, but positive correction and reinforcement.  All live fire was done using pop-up/reactive targets.

Day 3 started with some additional instruction, then the "Jungle Walk" solo, which evolved into jungle walk in buddy pairs.  This was the walk/jog/run period where we put day 1 and 2 into practice with multiple engagements from all directions, combining fighting through with fighting back, peels, etc.   This was the culmination of everything learned, finishing off with a squad assault, smoke, lots of rounds downrange and spreading hate and discontent to Ivan (the pop-up/reactive targets).

Conclusion:
All the guys in the class were top notch guys of varying levels of capability, all made better over the three days of training.   Make sure you are reasonably fit .  Train before you go for steep, rocky terrain, lots of “up/down” and be ready to make adjustments to the terrain as you are looking for cover and shooting positions.  Like any other sport, if you are fit, you can focus on the task vs. how tired you are.

Max has a book - ‘Contact!’  I read the book way back pre-original CRCD class, went through it again before CP, and now am ready to go back through again after completing the CTT class.  The content WILL make a lot more sense after actually doing the class. I can’t say it any better than it has already been said, the instructors were all top notch, no ego issues, and treated everyone with respect, even during correction.  They are the reason I have continued to return to MVT.

Link Posted: 2/19/2015 1:06:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Nice AAR. Max offers good stuff. There ain't too many folks giving small units tactics training. And after running his course, blasting paper targets on the square range just ain't that appealing anymore.
Link Posted: 3/18/2015 4:11:26 AM EDT
[#2]
I sure would like to attend one of those classes, it's the long haul drive that's stopping me.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top