Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/4/2008 9:11:44 AM EDT
Review: Bushido Tactical – Defensive Carbine Course (Civilian)
By: Mudfoot

Since I don’t have any military or LE experience to reference, I have to address this review from a law-abiding, fun loving, average American point of view. Someone who shoots competitively on weekends, loves guns, and wants to be effective enough in a self- preservation role. Let me get the attendee details out of the way, in order to establish level of proficiency with firearms and level of physical fitness.

I am a mid-thirties male, average height, and average weight. Weight training 3 days a week, with mild cardio each day. In other words, average. I am an experienced hunter, and average tactical 3-gun shooter. I have a fairly good knowledge of firearm mechanics and capabilities. My instruction level comes from that of a father and grand-father teaching me how to point, aim and shoot. Shooting with friends in competition has taught me the rest of my knowledge.

That said, let me begin MY review…

Opportunity came up to take an in-state Carbine course at a structured class, and after reading some reviews on-line, I decided to check into it further. I made several inquiries with the instructor, and his professional responses made me feel comfortable that I could learn a great deal from his course. The instructors’ resume was impressive to me, and though anyone could find an argument on the Internet about anyone, I decided that the return on investment was acceptable. I am not made of money, or free time, so a course that doesn’t require a week’s vacation, and a month’s salary is attractive to me, but more on that later.

Since I always enjoy company of friends, and the fact that I always learn something from shooting with a particular friend, I sent the course info to my bud, and we both signed up. Details were sent to us by the instructor with follow up communications several times before game time, in order to answer any questions or concerns we might have.

Day One:
Started out with a classroom setting, where everyone was introduced to the lead instructor, the host of the range, and a brief self-intro in order for everyone to know the level of firearm proficiency the attendee next to them has. After that, safety guidelines and the course outline. The part I was engaged with was that he never tried to infer that his word was gospel, and that we should abandon everything we had learned up till that point, and just do it his way. That would have been an arrogant position, and immediately would have made me withdraw my attention. No, this was a learning experience, and only meant to show what has worked for him, in real life situations, and that we/he must adapt.

Baseline movements and techniques would be taught hard, because shooter safety was a number one priority. So stress was put on the safety guidelines again, as should, and from there we met the outside range. I thought the perfect amount of classroom time was spent, not more, not less.

At the range, it was explained to us that this course was going to be challenging, both physically and logistically. This was going to be, in essence, a 3-day course compressed into a 2-day session, by design, for the people who needed the schedule adjusted. However, you could gather that the instructor would only progress the course at the rate that safety and attendee ability would allow.

Rifles were made ready, sidearms were holstered, and it was time to make sure everyone was sighted in. Zeroing techniques were described for those not completely familiar, and choices were given depending on the sight type and shooting style. This was given the due diligence that was required, in order to get everyone’s equipment on the same playing field, whether they were shooting AR, AK, or pistol caliber platform.

After the initial sighting-in was done, concentration on shooting positions, advantages to each, and real world applications of those positions was explained and demonstrated. Shortly after demonstration and application, shooting drills commenced. Positions were taught in squads, and engrained before moving on.

Instruction and proper attention was paid to loading drills, transition drills (shooting strong side and support side), rifle retention via slings and the pitfalls of it, then on to low light shooting. I, for one, was really psyched about night shooting. Learning to spot effectively and safely with light, identify threats, and prosecute as quickly as possible. The night shoot was extremely informative and instructional, as protecting my home and my family at night is always my main concern. Skills to keep me alive, was why I was attracted to this class in the first place.

I was wasted at the end of day one. You can’t even begin to realize how physically exhausted I was through the above paragraphs. Absorbing everything that was spoken, demonstrated and re-demonstrated would be tough for even the more experienced trainees. This was not a beginner course, yet it brought the beginner up to speed safely.

Personal End of Day Report: Moderate dehydration, enough so, that I took myself out of the last night time shoot drills due to inability to keep myself and others safe. Agreed to help monitor safety behind shooting lines. Only one equipment issue after day one was over. Upon inspection of my rifle, and function testing, my safety selector went locked into Fire position. I was beat, and simply switched out lowers, and got ready for next day (cause later determined to be a stuck primer under the selector, and not sure how long into the day it happened). Did not clean the rifle, however, I made sure it was lubed up before going out the next day.

Day Two:
After several Advil, and a terrible night’s sleep, day two was upon me. Today was soon explained as the toughest part of the course. Endurance, physical challenge, and memory would be the words of my day.

The day started out with the ever-frustrating Malfunction Drills. Clearing, reloading, and getting back into the fight without stopping to read the comic section was the goal of this drill. My rifle performed well, thank god I changed out lowers the night previous.

Today’s drills then challenged all the participants, with shooting under stress and anaerobic exertion. It also incorporated memory of shooting positions, and listening to your teammates commands. Today will humble me.

After a grueling early session, it was time for movement drills. Moving in threat condition, proper transition while moving, and controlling your movement. This is where I was least in knowledge, and most interested. I was interested because while I was sure of my ability to put rounds in vitals while sitting or standing still, I also realize that real life situations don’t happen on pause. Life moves, and you need to move either with it, against it, or it passes you by.

After demonstration and instruction was complete, it was time for our final combat course. This was the put-up or shut-up part of the course for me, and I found it extremely fun, entirely challenging, and ultimately rewarding.

After action discussion was held, and assessments were made of the class attendees.

I was completely worn out, my body hurt, and my brain was as full as I could get it.

Personal End of Day Two report: No equipment malfunctions, other than what nature provided to me. I felt satisfied with my performance, but humbled at the same time. It was a great experience to shoot with such a diverse class, and learn from not only the instructor, but also those on the line with me.

Final comments on Bushido Tactical Defensive Carbine course:
This class far exceeded my expectations. It also exceeded my physical capabilities. That is not to cast a bad light on the class, it is meant to say I learned where my physical fitness needed to improve in order to handle realistic, defensive type combat situations. Bushido Tactical, and Wade Rorich in particular, provided a professional, intense, and realistic exercise on the art of Defensive Rifle. I gathered a lot of confidence with my carbine. I gained a confidence that will translate into better safety preservation skills, and better competition skills.

This course brings a lot to the table for all aspects of the shooting world. There was never at any time an instructor barking at anyone to pick it up, or get moving. He emphasized that everyone has their limits, and we need to train within our physical limitations. He helped us to adapt our positions and firing techniques to what our limbs and lungs would allow us to do. As a result, I think everyone left the class with a sincere gratitude for his patience, his professionalism, and more than anything, his solid instruction.

I would recommend this course to the closest of friends, and to all the unknown user names. No matter the skill set, the experience level, or the price category, I believe this course, and this company, Bushido Tactical, to be able to deliver quality instruction to any and all that participate. I hope to take more courses with them in the future.

That said, I am a “more than satisfied customer”. See ya at the next class. Toodles!

(ETA: grammer correction, sorry)
Link Posted: 3/4/2008 11:37:35 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/4/2008 12:05:50 PM EDT
[#2]
wow. i am going to his class in MO at the end of this month. thanks for the review of this class. i cant wait to get there. but man i think my body is going to take a beating.

thanks again for the review

stuck
Link Posted: 3/4/2008 1:29:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for taking the time to share your excellent training experience. I too am planning to take the course in MO - I realize this is a rifle course, but how much time was spent on your sidearm? I'm taking my niece with me and want to have her prepared for what she will face.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 3/4/2008 2:51:59 PM EDT
[#4]
There was a fair amount of pistol involved. If I had to give a round count I would say just shy of 300 pistol rounds. The main object of the pistol in this class (and this is just my observation) leaned toward the support/backup idea. Staying in the fight with your pistol, should your battle rifle go down. But pistol was also used in the combat drills.
Link Posted: 3/4/2008 6:17:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Awesome Review :)
Link Posted: 3/5/2008 11:03:12 AM EDT
[#6]
Great Review Mudfoot!

As the host of the course it was great to hear that everyone got a lot out of the course. Besides getting some of the best carbine training availiable to civilians, we had a great time. Wade is not only a good instructor, but a good person as well.

For anyone that may be considering this course or any offered by Bushido Tactical, I would highly recommend you go. You could pay more, but the quality of instruction could not be better. Wade is truely passionate about giving the best quality instuction available.

I was proud to have my name associated with this course and I will be hosting more of his courses in the future.

Henry Simpson

Link Posted: 3/5/2008 1:36:11 PM EDT
[#7]
A big thanks goes out to you to Henry, for hosting the class and giving everyone a top notch place to shoot. Awesome facilities! Thanks again.
Link Posted: 3/5/2008 5:27:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Mudfoot, that is a great review. Thank you for taking the time to write it.

Henry, thank you for your kind words and Mudfoot to. I had a blast with everyone and it is very rewarding for me knowing that everyone had a good time and learned a lot.

I hope to see all of you back at our future classes.

A big thank you to you guys.

Link Posted: 6/18/2008 9:32:54 AM EDT
[#9]
cannot wait to attend this course in october in orlando!!!
Link Posted: 7/14/2008 6:58:08 AM EDT
[#10]
WOW!!! thats all I got to say....

I'll be at the course this Saturday in Taylorsville GA. I'm very excited and can't wait to learn from Wade. Everything I've heard about Bushido tactical and its courses puts them at the top of the charts in my book.

See ya Saturday.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top