Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/15/2016 3:05:59 AM EDT
I shot my first IDPA match this weekend, well most of it. I had to leave due to a family commitment, and a VERY slow squad in front of us, so I DNF'd. I got a lot of information from here, so thank you. I also made some interesting observations... The concealment garments being worn by many were no where near "real world". same with the guns being used by many. I showed up with my G19 IWB as carried every day, and my concealment garment was a flannel shirt as if I were going to work. I had an absolute blast and will be back. USPSA match is next on the agenda!  I did a lot of dry firing as many have recommended. I also exposed a couple of weaknesses really quick so re-loading drills are happening. Over all it was a VERY positive experience. I will probably never be competitive as I will always shoot what I carry, and I'm fine with that. Thanks for all the info I received here.
Link Posted: 2/15/2016 3:28:59 AM EDT
[#1]
I like the "practical" (as in actually practical) aspect of IDPA, although my small group is pretty informal and is someone shows up with an IPSC race gun, they aren't turned away.

We forego full concealment during the AZ summers.
Link Posted: 2/15/2016 11:07:16 AM EDT
[#2]
Welcome to the shooting sports.

I'm glad you say USPSA is next on your list.  You're going to enjoy it.

Link Posted: 2/15/2016 2:49:55 PM EDT
[#3]
A lot of IDPA shooters I've shot with tout the awesomeness of the realism/ real worldness of the rules while standing in front of me with a fishing/photography vest covered in IDPA and shooting patches.  

It's still fun but it's not real world when you're running around with stuff you'd never wear/carry when off the range.  The guys who show up wearing their daily carry setup with their daily carry pistol are IMO playing by the spirit of the game.  

I still prefer USPSA because it offers me the freedom to shoot the stage as I want.
Link Posted: 2/15/2016 2:57:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I like the "practical" (as in actually practical) aspect of IDPA, although my small group is pretty informal and is someone shows up with an IPSC race gun, they aren't turned away.

We forego full concealment during the AZ summers.
View Quote
You're in AZ? Never knew that. Where are your matches at?
Link Posted: 2/15/2016 3:33:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
A lot of IDPA shooters I've shot with tout the awesomeness of the realism/ real worldness of the rules while standing in front of me with a fishing/photography vest covered in IDPA and shooting patches.  

It's still fun but it's not real world when you're running around with stuff you'd never wear/carry when off the range.  The guys who show up wearing their daily carry setup with their daily carry pistol are IMO playing by the spirit of the game.  

I still prefer USPSA because it offers me the freedom to shoot the stage as I want.
View Quote

I think this nails it. Either way I'm really looking forward to the next time out. I will continue to use / shoot / wear what I do everyday.  The local club has a BUG match that I'm probably going to shoot as well.
Link Posted: 2/16/2016 1:50:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Good for you. Now go shoot more IDPA and some USPSA and some Steel Challenge.
They are all games. Get out of them what you want. Ignore the haters and have fun at all three.
Link Posted: 2/16/2016 2:27:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Welcome to the shooting sports.

I'm glad you say USPSA is next on your list.  You're going to enjoy it.

View Quote

^^^ what he said.

My problem with IDPA is i cannot participate the way i carry (appendix).  I like USPSA rules better anyways.
Link Posted: 2/18/2016 11:50:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Thank all. There is a USPSA match coming up. I'm going to give it a go.
Link Posted: 2/20/2016 1:53:31 PM EDT
[#9]
I shot IPSC back in the 90s with a S&W 6906. A 3.5" barrel 9mm. Only ever got rated to mid C class with that thing as it was not a competitive gun for IPSC. But then, wasn't shooting to beat everyone. I used it because it was my daily carry and it was a way to get some type of practical training and I did learn a ton about sight picture, trigger control, reloading, etc. I am now shooting IDPA and a little IPSC for the same purposes and shoot with the gear and gun I daily carry.

It's all good and fun! You will enjoy the fun of it and grow your skills doing it the way you are. I did! One more thing, do go out early and help set up every now and then. Every group can use the help. It gets old for those that do all the work if they are the only ones all the time.
Link Posted: 2/20/2016 2:22:57 PM EDT
[#10]
That's awesome.  Up in the cold states, our season doesn't start until April.  Too darn cold out before then.
Link Posted: 3/13/2016 5:32:25 PM EDT
[#11]
I just started shooting IDPA and USPSA a couple months ago.
I like both and like the above said, you get out of it what you put into it.
I shoot a Glock 19 and IWB at 5 o'clock.
IDPA has different divisions, so you should be competitive with the Glock 19.
USPSA is fun and I take pride in beating guys with race guns with my Glock 19.
Link Posted: 3/13/2016 5:33:34 PM EDT
[#12]
Djgolus, We shoot all year round.
It's cold but it gets me out of the house.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top