Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/12/2014 9:13:56 PM EDT
Im signed up for a two day pistol course from CSAT in April.  I'm also interested in some carbine training.  For those who have attended or know, I'm looking for more info

about the 2 day split course he offers, mostly concerning carbine training.  I don't see a 2 day carbine course in his training calendar.  Does he offer one??  I know I can

ask him but just looking for some info from guys who have been there, conversation.  

I'm aware that day 1 focuses on standards and marksmanship.  In a split class (pistol/carbine) does he get into any tactical application, use of barriers/malfunctions, of

the firearm??

Just like to say that I've seen some videos of his on youtube and read his blog and I appreciate his personality and his philosophy of basic skills to get the job done.

Thanks for any info.

Link Posted: 1/21/2014 4:45:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Im signed up for a two day pistol course from CSAT in April.  I'm also interested in some carbine training.  For those who have attended or know, I'm looking for more info

about the 2 day split course he offers, mostly concerning carbine training.  I don't see a 2 day carbine course in his training calendar.  Does he offer one??  I know I can

ask him but just looking for some info from guys who have been there, conversation.  

I'm aware that day 1 focuses on standards and marksmanship.  In a split class (pistol/carbine) does he get into any tactical application, use of barriers/malfunctions, of

the firearm??

Just like to say that I've seen some videos of his on youtube and read his blog and I appreciate his personality and his philosophy of basic skills to get the job done.

Thanks for any info.

View Quote

I'm in the same boat as you, as I, along with a good friend of mine, are going to the Tac Rifle/Pistol operator course in November.  HE used to have a 2 day carbine class and a 2 day handgun course, but, for whatever reason, it's been condensed into one class.
Link Posted: 1/22/2014 2:00:18 AM EDT
[#2]
Paul is really good about answering emails. I would go straight to the source and ask directly. FYI if you've never been, the CSAT facility is top notch, the most impressive range I've ever been on.
Link Posted: 1/22/2014 8:12:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Yeah, you're right, I guess I can email him, but I just don't want to bother him with petty questions.

My buddy and I are looking forward to attending the course.  Right now, I'm trying to decide what to take gear wise.  I'm not gonna go all decked out and want a simple set-up.  I was thinking a HSGI war belt with TACOS for my pistol mags and a drop pouch, coupled with a simple Eagle Chest rig that I have that hold 3 mags.  The holster for my pistol will probably be a G-Code holster.

I dunno, I think that'll be enough.
Link Posted: 1/22/2014 8:36:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Just email Paul.  He always answers quickly and is more than willing to spend as much time as you like to give you good advice.  

You will love his classes.  Range is first class.  Paul is an uncommon instructor who can simultaneously teach to different levels of student with a level of humility that is rare to watch.  Regardless of your skill level, you will walk away a better performer.   Some folks say his classes are basic.  In my experience, advanced just means being able to do the basics on demand, every time, under any condition.

Enjoy the class!
Link Posted: 1/22/2014 10:39:22 PM EDT
[#5]
I attended MSGT Howe's rifle instructor course a few years ago. We taught students on our final two days. He covers positional shooting, using barricades, trigger control, accuracy, and long distance shooting. He has a COF the instructors must pass and he uses that to teach his essential skills.

You will very much enjoy his class. His facility is world class, his information is top notch, and he is one of the most humble people I've ever met. You can't go wrong with CSAT.
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 11:31:46 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Paul is really good about answering emails. I would go straight to the source and ask directly. FYI if you've never been, the CSAT facility is top notch, the most impressive range I've ever been on.
View Quote

I will second this.  Just got back today from Advanced Swat training.  That was a fun week.  Paul has pulled back from training and instead relies more on his instructors.  This at least applies to LE training.  Bill, Rich and Nick were top notch guys and all bring their own knowledge plus what they have learned from Paul.
Link Posted: 2/15/2014 3:18:11 PM EDT
[#7]
I just finished up the 6 day Tac Pistol/Rifle Instructor Course and got to teach the two day course on the weekend.  You will enjoy the class and get your monies worth.  The first day does focus on handgun fundamentals and is taught from a very base level and progresses quickly and efficiently through the day.  You can see the standards drills and times on the CSAT website and I recommend you practice and learn them before you go and it will help you be more mentally prepared for the class.  You do get to practice shooting around barricade positions with the pistol and rifle, do transition drills from rifle to pistol, and practice a lot of fail to fire malfunctions in the school.  We saw a lot of rifles malfunction right out of the gate on day 2 because they weren't clean or they were gamer guns or just not lubed well.  Make sure your rifle is zeroed with iron sights and any optics you choose to shoot.  Another bit of advise is to arrive with your mags loaded and ready to shoot when the time comes.  My observations as an instructor were that  several students took their time loading their mags walking back and forth to the firing line which did eat into the available time to shoot drills.  You can expect top notch training and very clear communication from Pual and his staff along with a great facility.  Bring plenty of water and a high level of motivation with you to the class and you will be good to go.  I had a lot of fun in the instructor class and teaching the class on the weekend.  I got to work with the Mike from Shootingdentist.com and he was a great student and progressed well over the weekend.  Good luck, watch Paul's videos from Make Ready or the available Youtube clips, and get ready for a great time.  Lots of good food available in town and very close to the range.
Link Posted: 2/15/2014 3:53:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I just finished up the 6 day Tac Pistol/Rifle Instructor Course and got to teach the two day course on the weekend.  You will enjoy the class and get your monies worth.  The first day does focus on handgun fundamentals and is taught from a very base level and progresses quickly and efficiently through the day.  You can see the standards drills and times on the CSAT website and I recommend you practice and learn them before you go and it will help you be more mentally prepared for the class.  You do get to practice shooting around barricade positions with the pistol and rifle, do transition drills from rifle to pistol, and practice a lot of fail to fire malfunctions in the school.  We saw a lot of rifles malfunction right out of the gate on day 2 because they weren't clean or they were gamer guns or just not lubed well.  Make sure your rifle is zeroed with iron sights and any optics you choose to shoot.  Another bit of advise is to arrive with your mags loaded and ready to shoot when the time comes.  My observations as an instructor were that  several students took their time loading their mags walking back and forth to the firing line which did eat into the available time to shoot drills.  You can expect top notch training and very clear communication from Pual and his staff along with a great facility.  Bring plenty of water and a high level of motivation with you to the class and you will be good to go.  I had a lot of fun in the instructor class and teaching the class on the weekend.  I got to work with the Mike from Shootingdentist.com and he was a great student and progressed well over the weekend.  Good luck, watch Paul's videos from Make Ready or the available Youtube clips, and get ready for a great time.  Lots of good food available in town and very close to the range.
View Quote

Great point about coming with pre loaded mags. That has been my SOP for a long time. It affords me more time to hydrate, rest, talk to instructors and watch/earn from other students.
Link Posted: 2/20/2014 9:04:36 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Great point about coming with pre loaded mags. That has been my SOP for a long time. It affords me more time to hydrate, rest, talk to instructors and watch/earn from other students.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I am signed up for a April 2 day pistol class. I was hoping ya'll would be able to help me with some questions I have regarding gear. I wanted to draw from your experience working with Paul Howe as it seems his philosophy is different than others. I like his practical style in getting the job done.

I will be carrying my pistol in a CCW rig (compt-tac hybrid).
1. Have you seen anyone have any problems using this sort of setup?
2. How many pistol mags should be on my person for this class? I was thinking of carrying 2 on a belt and 1 in the gun, 2 in a bag, offline.

I have yet to sign up for a carbine class, but plan too. I'm wanting to get ready for this class. Now questions:

I know Paul Howe likes irons.
1. Can you recommend an iron sight?
2. Do you use the CSAT sight? I was thinking about the DD iron sight or Larue BUIS.
3. When using a non-CSAT what distance do you sight in for, 7 yrds?
4. How would you sight in a non CSAT sight for 7yds?

I appreciate hearing back from you who take time to answer my questions. I started coming over to the training portion of the website when I realized owning a gun doesn't make me a good shot. I realized too that training is important and I can't train myself what I don't know.

Thanks again.

Link Posted: 2/20/2014 9:43:13 PM EDT
[#10]
Responses in RED

Quoted:

I am signed up for a April 2 day pistol class. I was hoping ya'll would be able to help me with some questions I have regarding gear. I wanted to draw from your experience working with Paul Howe as it seems his philosophy is different than others. I like his practical style in getting the job done.

I will be carrying my pistol in a CCW rig (compt-tac hybrid).
1. Have you seen anyone have any problems using this sort of setup? Should not be a problem.  Get a good quality gun belt.  Wilderness Products makes a good one.  Galco as well
2. How many pistol mags should be on my person for this class? I was thinking of carrying 2 on a belt and 1 in the gun, 2 in a bag, offline. Bring as many as you have preloaded.  Your on body load as described will be fine.  The more you can have, the more time you can spend focused on the instruction and not loading mags.

I have yet to sign up for a carbine class, but plan too. I'm wanting to get ready for this class. Now questions:

I know Paul Howe likes irons.
1. Can you recommend an iron sight?  I like any irons with both a large and small rear peep and a thin front sight post.  Really stock irons are fine.
2. Do you use the CSAT sight? I was thinking about the DD iron sight or Larue BUIS.   See #1
3. When using a non-CSAT what distance do you sight in for, 7 yrds?  Paul likes a 100 yard zero, 6 oclock hold, about 3" high.  See attached article.  He will teach you this at the class.
http://www.combatshootingandtactics.com/published/thebattlefieldzerofullpictures.pdf
There are many strategies for zero ranges.  Check out the optics AR 15 section.  The main thing is knowing where your zero puts you for all ranges you will be shooting for proper hold overs.  Again, all covered in Paul's classes.

4. How would you sight in a non CSAT sight for 7yds?  See PDF I linked.

Enjoy the course.  it is money very well spent.
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/20/2014 9:51:51 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

Ditto me and a couple other arfcom mere went to a pistol course a few years back and I really liked it. I honestly wish there was a little more shooting in it and less dry fire practice. But that is merely my opinion as a fatwas armchair tactician.

The only thing I wasn't really expecting and it may have been a one off but I didn't really see Paul much and most of our instruction was done by student instructors.
Link Posted: 2/20/2014 9:57:11 PM EDT
[#12]
TDunn pretty much covered it.

I don't think you'll have much of a problem working from concealment. Just make sure you get some dry practice in before class and pay attention as you re-holster.

I've always been fine with two mags on the belt and one in the gun expect back in my 1911 days. You can always shove an extra mag in a pocket.

I suggest spending a few range sessions before class focusing on accuracy and distance as much as possible. During the Response to Active Shooter course we shot all the way out to 65yds with a pistol.

I haven't attended his carbine course yet. But I always use the same zero as I do with an optic. I use the 50/200 BZO for all my AR's. I prefer the Larue buis but any will do.

I can't speak for Paul but I imagine if you have an optic such as an RDS on your rifle at all times he wont have an issue with you using it during class. It doesn't make sense to me to learn how to use your rifle one way and then go home and use it another. That said it never hurts to push your limits and expand your skills. I've spent some class time shooting left handed when it wasn't required.
Link Posted: 2/20/2014 10:02:38 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Ditto me and a couple other arfcom mere went to a pistol course a few years back and I really liked it. I honestly wish there was a little more shooting in it and less dry fire practice. But that is merely my opinion as a fatwas armchair tactician.

The only thing I wasn't really expecting and it may have been a one off but I didn't really see Paul much and most of our instruction was done by student instructors.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

He has been slowly passing the torch off to his AI's. It is still top notch instruction held to his standards. I believe the CSAT web site will list who is instructing a particular class.
Link Posted: 2/21/2014 1:09:25 PM EDT
[#14]
Just looked at the November class I'm going to and Howe is listed as the instructor.  Cool.
Link Posted: 2/21/2014 4:57:40 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Just looked at the November class I'm going to and Howe is listed as the instructor.  Cool.
View Quote

Is there an instructor class right before that? Because if there is there will likely be non permanent student instructors helping to teach the class which is fine if they are good but if they are not then well....
Link Posted: 2/21/2014 11:20:26 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Is there an instructor class right before that? Because if there is there will likely be non permanent student instructors helping to teach the class which is fine if they are good but if they are not then well....
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'd love to be trained by Howe. My class just says staff. I do not have my hopes up to see him. I do trust what he says on his site. He has high standards for those he

places in a training position so I think my training will have his stamp of approval. It would be cool to talk to him though, I have a question I'd like his view on. I enjoy his

blog. I'm trying to read each one.
Link Posted: 3/2/2014 1:56:26 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, there is an instructor class before my class.  Hmm.  I'm gonna shoot him an email and ask how hands on he's gonna with the class I attended.  

ETA:  I see that some classes say "Howe/Staff," but mine only says "Howe."  Eh, I trust that it should be good either way.
Link Posted: 3/17/2014 11:07:24 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Yeah, there is an instructor class before my class.  Hmm.  I'm gonna shoot him an email and ask how hands on he's gonna with the class I attended.  

ETA:  I see that some classes say "Howe/Staff," but mine only says "Howe."  Eh, I trust that it should be good either way.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

If there's an instructor class the week leading up to the regular class, then the assistant instructors will be helping Paul teach. Basically, the assistant instructors will be given certain blocks to teach to Paul's standards, but Paul will be standing right there to clarify anything and answer any questions. There are certain blocks that Paul always teaches himself as well.

Attending a class like this is very beneficial because, in addition to Paul, you will have an assistant instructor watching to help you out as well.
Link Posted: 3/17/2014 7:57:07 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

If there's an instructor class the week leading up to the regular class, then the assistant instructors will be helping Paul teach. Basically, the assistant instructors will be given certain blocks to teach to Paul's standards, but Paul will be standing right there to clarify anything and answer any questions. There are certain blocks that Paul always teaches himself as well.

Attending a class like this is very beneficial because, in addition to Paul, you will have an assistant instructor watching to help you out as well.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Maybe the class I had was a fluke but he split our class into two groups on two different range bays and he was only in my area about half the time
Link Posted: 3/17/2014 8:48:41 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Maybe the class I had was a fluke but he split our class into two groups on two different range bays and he was only in my area about half the time

View Quote

The only time I know of that normally happening is when the class is split on the second day of the two-day rifle class for the barricade shooting and Scrambler blocks. Paul normally teaches the barricade shooting blocks to both groups since there is a lot of tactics discussed, and there is less instruction involved with the Scrambler exercise.

If you're talking about the class being broken up for the entire course then I haven't heard of that and don't know why that happened.
Link Posted: 3/17/2014 9:04:38 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

The only time I know of that normally happening is when the class is split on the second day of the two-day rifle class for the barricade shooting and Scrambler blocks. Paul normally teaches the barricade shooting blocks to both groups since there is a lot of tactics discussed, and there is less instruction involved with the Scrambler exercise.
If you're talking about the class being broken up for the entire course then I haven't heard of that and don't know why that happened.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It was on both days and it was just a pistol I class. Skills hot was with me and an verify.
Link Posted: 3/17/2014 9:07:17 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
It was on both days and it was just a pistol I class. Skills hot was with me and an verify.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Don't know what that was about. I've only taken his Rifle Instructor course, so I'm not as familiar with the pistol curriculum.
Link Posted: 4/1/2014 9:57:49 PM EDT
[#23]
Heads up guys with concerns. It seems that Paul has been reading this thread.

This should clear some things up for you guys.

Link Posted: 4/1/2014 10:45:06 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Heads up guys with concerns. It seems that Paul has been reading this thread.

View Quote

This should clear some things up for you guys.

Thank you for posting that.

The Advanced Individual Tactics course he announced in that looks outstanding.
Link Posted: 4/1/2014 10:49:54 PM EDT
[#25]
Thanks for the link.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top