Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/9/2017 5:35:11 PM EDT
I'm moving out of Florida in afew weeks (heading to NC). However my house isn't ready and we're taking the time to visit the grandparents.

My question: I'm changing the address for the USPS to reflect the visit to NY. When I leave FL we're gone, not coming back. I'm not bringing any guns/etc but I don't want to somehow screw up my residency to somehow be a NY'er and needing to register or declare anything. I have a FL ccw, would that need to change?

I'm just clueless and trying to uncover any pitfalls before heading up there.

TLDR; long vacation in NY between ends of a non-NY move and a temporary address change.

ETA: guns staying stored securely out of NY

Thanks
Link Posted: 7/9/2017 5:47:33 PM EDT
[#1]
How long will you be in NYS?
I don't think that you're going to be doing anything that would deem you to be moving to NYS.
Doubt you'll be buying property, seeking employment, etc.
Link Posted: 7/9/2017 6:11:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Good point.

Around 2 weeks. Nothing to imply I'm trying to be a resident.
Link Posted: 7/9/2017 6:28:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Good point.

Around 2 weeks. Nothing to imply I'm trying to be a resident.
View Quote
Enjoy your brief stay behind enemy lines.
Where in the state do you think you'll be
Link Posted: 7/9/2017 7:13:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Ro-cha-cha; where I was born and raised. Eastern suburbs.
Link Posted: 7/10/2017 6:39:52 AM EDT
[#5]
Two weeks are nothing unless you are a professional sports player in which case they tax you on your earnings for every game you play here. Things get dicey after living here six months when you can be considered a resident. I had neighbors who left the state and they made sure to be out before July 1st. 
Link Posted: 7/10/2017 6:58:43 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Two weeks are nothing unless you are a professional sports player in which case they tax you on your earnings for every game you play here. Things get dicey after living here six months when you can be considered a resident. I had neighbors who left the state and they made sure to be out before July 1st. 
View Quote
Yeah, if you're here for six months that's pushing your luck.

Professional sports players get taxed for every game they play in NYS? So every visiting team member pays NY taxes?
I never knew that.
Ridiculous.
If I lived in, say, TX, and my company sent me to NYS for a week, I shouldn't have to pay NY tax on my salary that week.
Sounds like a money grab by NYS
Link Posted: 7/10/2017 11:11:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Professional sports players get taxed for every game they play in NYS? So every visiting team member pays NY taxes?
I never knew that.
Ridiculous.
If I lived in, say, TX, and my company sent me to NYS for a week, I shouldn't have to pay NY tax on my salary that week.
View Quote
I think it's just targeted at the NY teams.  Some of the players have their residency as Florida, but NY was super butthurt about that and demanded they pay NY income tax.

As for the OP, why not get a UPS box local to where you're going to move to instead?  Or a PO box?  Then just set up temporary forwarding while you're visiting.    That way you can have your change-of-address set to the box, and temporarily forward it to your NY address.

Then when you finally get moved to the new location you can get rid of the box - or keep it.  (I'm thinking of getting one here myself - for packages etc).
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 9:39:05 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I never knew that.
Ridiculous.
View Quote
30 days of work and you will be paying NY taxes.. I work in IT and travel the country for work. One year i paid state taxes in NY, NJ, MO, and VA the off set in other state was removed from my overall NY taxes but it still sucks..

What sucked even more is when i moved out of NYS last year for Fla.. I Left June 3rd.  and i still paid out of the ass.. FUNYS
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 9:49:51 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

30 days of work and you will be paying NY taxes.. I work in IT and travel the country for work. One year i paid state taxes in NY, NJ, MO, and VA the off set in other state was removed from my overall NY taxes but it still sucks..

What sucked even more is when i moved out of NYS last year for Fla.. I Left June 3rd.  and i still paid out of the ass.. FUNYS
View Quote
Your state and Federal returns must be a nightmare.
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 9:32:35 PM EDT
[#10]
A friend of mine had done some consulting work on tax preparation and enlightened me on the income tax nightmares working in other states temporarily. As the consultant above noted, 30 days for a regular Joe can hit you. Technically even a short business trip in another state would snare you but for most of us it would be such a piddling amount it isn't worth collecting. But pro sports players earn hundreds of thousands for a single game. Each state where a game is played wants that income tax. 
Link Posted: 7/12/2017 3:01:23 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
A friend of mine had done some consulting work on tax preparation and enlightened me on the income tax nightmares working in other states temporarily. As the consultant above noted, 30 days for a regular Joe can hit you. Technically even a short business trip in another state would snare you but for most of us it would be such a piddling amount it isn't worth collecting. But pro sports players earn hundreds of thousands for a single game. Each state where a game is played wants that income tax. 
View Quote
Then the team should be providing tax services to the players, if that paperwork burden was created by the team playing in that state.
Link Posted: 7/12/2017 3:50:52 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Your state and Federal returns must be a nightmare.
View Quote
Believe or not Federal was nothing.. Since it was my complete and total income so nothing different on the Federal side.

The States was more of a pia than anything.. but i always made sure i took out more than the min about and i never ended up paying taxes until i left NYS last year.. The biggest issue is how they tax is different in every state that has state income tax.  

NY will screw you. Its the last screw they like to give you when you exit with no reach around.
Link Posted: 7/12/2017 6:53:28 PM EDT
[#13]
Oh wow, taxes might be a thing.

Getting there the July 27th and leaving Aug 13. But since I work remotely, would this be a 'first dollar' thing?
Link Posted: 7/12/2017 6:57:07 PM EDT
[#14]
Did a little research and I'm not going there for business. Going for vacation.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top