Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/20/2014 11:28:44 AM EDT
I'm going on vacation in AZ the end of this week and would like to bring my pocket gun with me. From what I can find is that driving though NY with a handgun is a no no. With all the restrictions it sounds like if one is pulled over and  a firearm is found, in a lock case or not one could be in trouble. Anyone ( NY state police ) how I could travel with one without problems. MA has the same issues. Just wish all states would recognize your home states CCW life would be so much better for LAC.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 11:42:10 AM EDT
[#1]
I believe having it unloaded and locked away is ok for driving through as long as it is a non - stop trip through the state. But someone smarter than me should be along shortly to answer.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 11:44:27 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 11:47:35 AM EDT
[#3]
You're right.  Unloaded, and in the truck, or in a locked case not immediately accessible from where you are sitting.  Ammo/mags separate.

If you're going to be in the Central/Western part of the state, just don't speed, and you'll be fine.  You don't have to notify the cop that you have a firearm, either.  If you're asked, well, then that's up to you.  

Just be aware, that some Monroe county sheriffs aren't trained very well, and might try to shove your chamber round into a full magazine.  (That's the county around Rochester.)

When I was going thru IL, same rules applied to me, I just had them unloaded in the trunk.  Not even locked up, as I couldn't get to them easily.  As soon as we got over the border into IN, we stopped for gas, grabbed the gun, and loaded it.  
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 1:37:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Every day, thousands of criminals with illegal handguns drive around the state of NY. With extremely rare exceptions, none are stopped, none are searched, all get to their destination.

Except under the now defunct stop and frisk, in general, the only people who get arrested are people who leave their guns in plain sight or tell the police that they have them (e.g. tourists in NYC).

You are not a criminal, you are following the law, but the point is that unless you leave it in plain sight or tell the cops you have it, your chances of being arrested are less than your chances of being struck by lightning.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 5:33:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Gun unloaded in one locked box in the rear of the car. Ammo in another locked box in the rear of the car.

Never in the console or glovebox.

Never together.

No consent to search. No reason. No discussion. Just no.

Don't break any traffic laws.

Look innocent. It is good practice for what is to come.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 10:37:14 PM EDT
[#6]
You should be fine, but i would NOT suggest driving thru NYC. if your route takes you within city limits I'd advise taking a detour further north.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 10:27:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Leaving 10+ mags at home can't hurt either. Grab the neutered ones.  I may be mistaken, but my understanding is FOPA only covers firearms, not magazines.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 3:00:18 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 3:01:45 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 9:15:41 AM EDT
[#10]
THANKS GUYS. I hope to have a safe trip and a enjoyable one too.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 10:47:22 AM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Good luck and SAFE travels
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 10:47:57 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

View Quote
If your route is taking you thru Ontario county, lemme know...  Garbage plates, and old Arfcom HQ.

Link Posted: 10/22/2014 10:52:10 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Yup fopa does not cover mags  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Leaving 10+ mags at home can't hurt either. Grab the neutered ones.  I may be mistaken, but my understanding is FOPA only covers firearms, not magazines.
Yup fopa does not cover mags  

I did not know that part!  Unfortunately, I am a resident and can no longer own normal sized mags...

Bill
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top