Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/23/2014 10:26:54 PM EDT
And I blow this Popsicle stand!

Packing boxes every night til 10 or 11 each night sucks balls, but it will all be worth it in 10 days.  We leave on the 3rd.  Arrive in Georgia on the 4th and close on the 5th.  Hopefully totally moved in and unpacked for the most part by the 10th.  I start work down there on the 15th, after 2 weeks of "vacation"/ moving.

I will do a 30 round mag dump in all your honor when I arrive in Free America.

Link Posted: 8/23/2014 10:27:44 PM EDT
[#1]
So ... keg party on the 14th?
Link Posted: 8/23/2014 10:45:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Bring your own tent.
Link Posted: 8/23/2014 10:46:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Congrats.

Don't forget to come back and Vote in November!
Link Posted: 8/23/2014 10:46:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Bring your own tent.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bring your own tent.

As long as you promise to set it up.
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 1:00:52 AM EDT
[#5]
You make sure all your finances from NYS are in order? You may get hit with the "Exit tax", I mean audit in 2015. If you didn't work in Sept. but had money, it's NYS taxable.
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 7:40:31 AM EDT
[#6]
Best of luck to you guys my family and I will be putting the house up in March 2015.
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 8:07:03 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
You make sure all your finances from NYS are in order? You may get hit with the "Exit tax", I mean audit in 2015. If you didn't work in Sept. but had money, it's NYS taxable.
View Quote

My accountant will take care of all that. I still have to file in NY in 2015 due to a business that was sold.  After that NY can suck it.
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 9:26:10 AM EDT
[#8]
Best of luck!
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 10:58:56 AM EDT
[#9]
Good luck and god speed, always glad to see people escaping this place
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 11:14:10 AM EDT
[#10]
Good luck Roland!
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 12:49:27 PM EDT
[#11]
Look forward to meetin ya at the Half Fawn Ranch HTF shoot...I'll be the guy with all the DI  45 and 10mm AR's. Don't worry we'll have you soundin like one of us in a matter of months and you'll blend right in....

Remember.....first lesson, it is "ya'll" and refers to a group, NEVER one person. If you say 'you all' someone will look at you and say......."You ain't from around here are ya boy....".........and Houston County is pronounced "Howston" and Albany Ga is "ALLbennie"
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 2:07:53 PM EDT
[#12]
Boy, I feelike I'm going to be the last guy out; who has to turn off the lights.

Congrats!
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 7:40:47 PM EDT
[#13]
Sad to see you go bud,   Light off a few rounds for me
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 8:30:55 PM EDT
[#14]
Nice, I'm jealous, I still have a year and not sure where I'm going yet.
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 8:38:38 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Packing boxes every night til 10 or 11 each night sucks balls, but it will all be worth it in 10 days.  We leave on the 3rd.  Arrive in Georgia on the 4th and close on the 5th.  Hopefully totally moved in and unpacked for the most part by the 10th.  I start work down there on the 15th, after 2 weeks of "vacation"/ moving.

View Quote

Congratulations.  How did you find a job in Georgia, and what kind of job is it?
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 8:57:37 PM EDT
[#16]
Best of luck Tim!
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 9:08:00 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Congratulations.  How did you find a job in Georgia, and what kind of job is it?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Transferring.  I am a pharmacist with Rite Aid.  Going to be the Pharmacy Manager of the only store located in Covington, GA.
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 9:09:06 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Look forward to meetin ya at the Half Fawn Ranch HTF shoot...I'll be the guy with all the DI  45 and 10mm AR's. Don't worry we'll have you soundin like one of us in a matter of months and you'll blend right in....

Remember.....first lesson, it is "ya'll" and refers to a group, NEVER one person. If you say 'you all' someone will look at you and say......."You ain't from around here are ya boy....".........and Houston County is pronounced "Howston" and Albany Ga is "ALLbennie"
View Quote

Can't wait.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 12:18:37 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote

I may be a native New Yorker (unfortunately) but I worked the oilpatch in the Gulf for over 10 years and had to learn to speak both Southern and Coon-ass, so I have to correct this...

"Y'all" can be either singular or a group, whereas "all y'all" always refers to a group

Other essential southern phrases, vocabulary and essentials:

"It's raining like a cow pissing on a flat river rock"

learn to enjoy cornbread, red beans and rice with every meal

start dipping tobacco

wave your pointer finger in the air and scream "let's git it" to denote enthusiasm

"Hello" is northern slang for a greeting, the proper greeting down south is "who's yer driver?"  (pretend to care about people driving in circles for 4 hours at a time)

Link Posted: 8/25/2014 7:10:26 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Transferring.  I am a pharmacist with Rite Aid.  Going to be the Pharmacy Manager of the only store located in Covington, GA.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Awesome and lucky.  What is the pay cut like, considering you are technically being promoted?
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 7:44:22 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 8:07:32 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

Nice. You're about 30 miles away from me down there.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 10:36:15 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Awesome and lucky.  What is the pay cut like, considering you are technically being promoted?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Actually somewhat of a raise.  Lower rate/hr than NY but, my base salary will be based on 86 hours bi-weekly as opposed to the 77 hours bi-weekly here in NY
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 10:37:06 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quitter
View Quote

Don't hate the player, hate the game.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 10:40:28 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

When do you get down there?

I'll be in Watkinsville, 12 miles south of Athens.  We should have a NY reunion when we all get there.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 12:37:39 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Next month.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 5:27:43 AM EDT
[#27]
Will you both be stops on the Unsafe Underground Railroad?  IM me the recognition phrase please so you know I am not a bloombutt infiltrator.

Best of luck to all y'all!
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 8:13:41 AM EDT
[#28]
I've already got my home in Georgia - Renting it to a friend for the moment, till I can get family situations as settled as possible to move down their full time.
My company has an office in Northern Atlanta - not to far from Glock inc. actually and at the moment they say just give the word and I can transfer their!

By the way gas is about 40-50 cents less per gallon, property taxes are about 1/5th of what they are in Monroe county NY (Monroe has the highest in the nation by the way - look it up on google!)

Sick of this place in so many ways,  When I made the decision to move, I felt like a heavy weight was taken off my shoulders.  I never thought I would move since I have so much pretty property here, but its got to go, Property is useless if you can't be free! FUAC!

Link Posted: 8/26/2014 10:55:32 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I've already got my home in Georgia - Renting it to a friend for the moment, till I can get family situations as settled as possible to move down their full time.
My company has an office in Northern Atlanta - not to far from Glock inc. actually and at the moment they say just give the word and I can transfer their!

By the way gas is about 40-50 cents less per gallon, property taxes are about 1/5th of what they are in Monroe county NY (Monroe has the highest in the nation by the way - look it up on google!)

Sick of this place in so many ways,  When I made the decision to move, I felt like a heavy weight was taken off my shoulders.  I never thought I would move since I have so much pretty property here, but its got to go, Property is useless if you can't be free! FUAC!

View Quote

Actually gasoline is .50~.60 cents a gallon cheaper than up here.  
They have the inverse of heat compared to our cold temperature. (last week it was extremely humid with temps. the mid 90's eclipsing 100 in some areas)
Substantially more people and traffic than Rochester.
More job opportunities, lower wages, however that's off-set from a lower cost of living. Overall I'd say it's better than NY, but you'd better be prepared to adapt and endure as it'll take a full year to adjust and settle in.....LOTS of folks move South with certain expectations and unfounded certainties that fail fruition; that's when the excuses come out to "move back home". I've seen it here many times before.  
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 11:22:49 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Will you both be stops on the Unsafe Underground Railroad?  IM me the recognition phrase please so you know I am not a bloombutt infiltrator.
Best of luck to all y'all!
View Quote

I have to pick up my stuff from an arfcommer's house down there.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 11:55:36 AM EDT
[#31]
I see the flight from Empire State everywhere.  My coworkers are retiring and moving to places like Fla, Delaware, TN, AZ, NC, etc.  my inlaws who live abroad want to sell their seasonal home here...   How can I possibly consider a plan to stay here long term?

Link Posted: 8/26/2014 12:47:31 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Next month.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Next month.

Keep me advised Brother, when FUAC signs the military buyback my clock starts ticking with a hard date. It's three years away but it's a hard date.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 2:21:14 PM EDT
[#33]
When I finally leave this place, I'm not packing a thing. I'm just gonna get up and leave. I'll buy all new shit when I get to my Southern destination.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 7:12:56 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
When I finally leave this place, I'm not packing a thing. I'm just gonna get up and leave. I'll buy all new shit when I get to my Southern destination.
View Quote

I'm barely filling a small moving pod. Giving away all our furniture, sold both my motorcycles, and sold tons of surfcasting gear.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 11:52:31 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

They have the inverse of heat compared to our cold temperature. (last week it was extremely humid with temps. the mid 90's eclipsing 100 in some areas)
More job opportunities, lower wages, however that's off-set from a lower cost of living. Overall I'd say it's better than NY, but you'd better be prepared to adapt and endure as it'll take a full year to adjust and settle in.....LOTS of folks move South with certain expectations and unfounded certainties that fail fruition; that's when the excuses come out to "move back home". I've seen it here many times before.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Agreed - Its an adjustment, but my son and wife are willing to do it.  Daughter is starting college. II have been traveling back and forth to HotLanta for work since the 90s.  I am fine with the hot weather - my nerve pain in my legs actually is way less because of that same heat so I can suddenly walk more and do more in the heat than I can up here.   I just got back from 2 weeks of the summer heat.  I am good with it.  Wife is not so good with the heat.  I am in such relief from the aide the heat gives me - which is another reason why I want to move badly.  This last winter my legs would get numb about mid day and hurt all night.  

What I might not get used to is the larger element of crime in the general Atlanta Region.  My house is out in the country, so I don't expect to go into the city areas often.

Link Posted: 8/27/2014 12:54:52 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote

LOL.  We talk about exactly the same thing.  Can't wait to have a huge "moving sale" to get rid of couches, desks, SNOW BLOWER!
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 4:26:13 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I see the flight from Empire State everywhere.  My coworkers are retiring and moving to places like Fla, Delaware, TN, AZ, NC, etc.  my inlaws who live abroad want to sell their seasonal home here...   How can I possibly consider a plan to stay here long term?

View Quote

looks like it will be me and you left here for awhile.
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 12:32:21 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

I may be a native New Yorker (unfortunately) but I worked the oilpatch in the Gulf for over 10 years and had to learn to speak both Southern and Coon-ass, so I have to correct this...

"Y'all" can be either singular or a group, whereas "all y'all" always refers to a group
Born in Carolina, raised in Ga 50+ years........You have been mislead so we can always spot ya......Ya'll is NEVER singular and you spelt it wrong....and in 56 years of life I have NEVER uttered the phrase "all ya'll"...................it is redundant.

Too formal.....it's rainin like a cow pissin on a flat rock....G's are dropped in most instances and cows rarely piss in a river if ever

Louisana specific......Georgia requires the love of greens, field peas and rice with diced Vidalia (pronounced Vi-dale-yuh) onion on top, pork chops, Bar-b-Que (MUST BE PORK) and steaks must be grilled..and medium rare at most.....grillin and BarBquein ain't the same thing either..Red beans and rice are also a delicacy in Georgia but require the addition of smoked pork sausage......cooked in the pan before making the beans and rice. Cornbread is required in all southern states..Stewed tomatoes, onions and okra over rice is a side dish......add smoked pork sausage and it is a meal, Oh, and shrimp and grits are acceptable for breakfast lunch and supper.....yes we eat supper...dinner is a formal occasion......ie you eat supper and go to dinner

start dipping tobacco

Never have dipped never will....I like sex with my wife and dip would end it
but I quit cigs cold turkey after 25 years 15 years ago and am allowed to abuse smokers at will....I do however keep spit cans in my shop for customers

wave your pointer finger in the air and scream "let's git it" to denote enthusiasm

Probablty a coon ass thing.....
"Hello" is northern slang for a greeting, the proper greeting down south is "who's yer driver?"  (pretend to care about people driving in circles for 4 hours at a time)
Wanna beer ...What up bubba  ..or  hows ya mama an nem, are all Georgia accepted greetings..........and I forgot one...How's yer dawg?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Born in Carolina, raised in Ga 50+ years........You have been mislead so we can always spot ya......Ya'll is NEVER singular and you spelt it wrong....and in 56 years of life I have NEVER uttered the phrase "all ya'll"...................it is redundant.

Too formal.....it's rainin like a cow pissin on a flat rock....G's are dropped in most instances and cows rarely piss in a river if ever

Louisana specific......Georgia requires the love of greens, field peas and rice with diced Vidalia (pronounced Vi-dale-yuh) onion on top, pork chops, Bar-b-Que (MUST BE PORK) and steaks must be grilled..and medium rare at most.....grillin and BarBquein ain't the same thing either..Red beans and rice are also a delicacy in Georgia but require the addition of smoked pork sausage......cooked in the pan before making the beans and rice. Cornbread is required in all southern states..Stewed tomatoes, onions and okra over rice is a side dish......add smoked pork sausage and it is a meal, Oh, and shrimp and grits are acceptable for breakfast lunch and supper.....yes we eat supper...dinner is a formal occasion......ie you eat supper and go to dinner

start dipping tobacco

Never have dipped never will....I like sex with my wife and dip would end it
but I quit cigs cold turkey after 25 years 15 years ago and am allowed to abuse smokers at will....I do however keep spit cans in my shop for customers

Probablty a coon ass thing.....
Wanna beer ...What up bubba  ..or  hows ya mama an nem, are all Georgia accepted greetings..........and I forgot one...How's yer dawg?

Once you move down premanently we'll even show you the secret handshake............
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 12:41:54 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Agreed - Its an adjustment, but my son and wife are willing to do it.  Daughter is starting college. II have been traveling back and forth to HotLanta for work since the 90s.  I am fine with the hot weather - my nerve pain in my legs actually is way less because of that same heat so I can suddenly walk more and do more in the heat than I can up here.   I just got back from 2 weeks of the summer heat.  I am good with it.  Wife is not so good with the heat.  I am in such relief from the aide the heat gives me - which is another reason why I want to move badly.  This last winter my legs would get numb about mid day and hurt all night.  

What I might not get used to is the larger element of crime in the general Atlanta Region.  My house is out in the country, so I don't expect to go into the city areas often.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sounds like we're both in the same boat: I have Family in and am originally from the deep South, which is why I commute back & forth a few times a year.
The heat absolutely helps with my all but completely destroyed joints.
The youngest is a Senior this year.
Really the only thing holding us back, and I wish them no ill are my very elderly in-laws.
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 10:27:50 PM EDT
[#40]
2 DAYS!!!!!  

We are all packed!

Our entire house is boxes.

I have a 26 ft Penske truck in my drive way that is half loaded with all my shit that United won't move or I don't want them touching.  Tomorrow I finish loading that truck and Tuesday, United does their part.  We leave Wednesday AM.  

I will miss the family and the close friends I have mad here.  Some of you here are in that group.  We have broken bread and thrown lead.  My door will always be open to any of you who may find yourself near Athens, GA.  

Although my new HTF will be GA, I will always visit NYHTF until the last of you turns out the lights.  For those of you that are staying or cannot leave, keep fighting the fight.  I will do my part by remaining a member of SCOPE and NYSRPA.  

I wish you all the best.  

Stay strong, be vigilant.

FUAC YOU POS!!!!!!
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 10:50:29 PM EDT
[#41]
God Bless.

See you on the other side, bro!
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 7:48:44 AM EDT
[#42]
I've found the Atlanta Area is full of transplants - way more people without accents since I started going there in the 90s.  Some are refugee conservatives, some may be liberals - evidently the liberal north couldn't provide them jobs, which is the only thing that scares me.  To many libs moving down south will bring liberal notons like gun control etc. down too.

Funny, the guy who did some repairs for my GA my house, was ironically a transplant from Hilton, NY - where I graduated High School.  He was the guy my Realtor recommended.

My neighbor in GA was surprised that a guy from NY, owned guns, watched Fox news and was highly conservative.  I said there were many of us, but we get drowned out by the liberal majority.  They treat me well - like I was some sort of displaced war refugee.  I like the area and the people.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 1:29:31 PM EDT
[#43]
Tomorrow AM we start our journey to Watkinsville, GA.  The movers are loading as I type on my iPad. I spent the last week or so packing boxes and this weekend loaded a 26 foot truck with all the stuff they won't put on their truck and the stuff I didn't want on their truck. Plus a bunch of odd and end hard to load items. Mostly left them boxes and furniture. We get into town sometime Thursday night and we close at 10AM Friday. Can't believe it's here already! Our stuff should arrive either Friday or Saturday. Then a few days to unpack and then time to relax a bit before I start work on the 15th. I do have to fly back up to NY in a couple days to pick up my truck and boat and drive them back down. Going to do straight though 16 hour trip as it will be just me. No kid, wife or cat.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 1:49:11 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 6:00:42 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Tomorrow AM we start our journey to Watkinsville, GA.  The movers are loading as I type on my iPad. I spent the last week or so packing boxes and this weekend loaded a 26 foot truck with all the stuff they won't put on their truck and the stuff I didn't want on their truck. Plus a bunch of odd and end hard to load items. Mostly left them boxes and furniture. We get into town sometime Thursday night and we close at 10AM Friday. Can't believe it's here already! Our stuff should arrive either Friday or Saturday. Then a few days to unpack and then time to relax a bit before I start work on the 15th. I do have to fly back up to NY in a couple days to pick up my truck and boat and drive them back down. Going to do straight though 16 hour trip as it will be just me. No kid, wife or cat.
View Quote

Fair winds and following seas. Be careful.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 6:17:00 PM EDT
[#46]

This... Tell our story & make sure nobody suffers as we do in the future. Know your AO well in case others need to seek shelter God*speed...
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 6:21:01 AM EDT
[#47]
God Bless and God Speed!

Keep a light burning for us Brother.
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 7:55:56 AM EDT
[#48]
Roland is probably on the road already!  I'd be willing to say that if he got an early enough start he is already out of NYS!  Keep going!

Link Posted: 9/3/2014 10:59:45 PM EDT
[#49]
Good luck!
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 11:51:04 PM EDT
[#50]
At risk of GD'ing this...

DAY 1
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top