Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/17/2014 2:59:20 AM EDT
SCOTUS decides whether or not to hear Drake Friday.

Not sure why they would choose this case over Kachalsky or the Maryland case...exact same arguments...exact same situations.

Maybe the split between the 2nd and 9th circuits (and the other circuits) will help?

My guess...they take the cowardly route and deny it also. They have been compromised by activists.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 3:27:23 AM EDT
[#1]
I agree that SCOTUS is going to turn it down.  They seem perfectly happy to have stated the Second Amendment is a fundamental civil right and then let the lower courts trample all over it.  Should they take up a case at some future date, the longer they wait, the more entangle the mess becomes.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 3:33:59 AM EDT
[#2]
Yeah SCOTUS is causing a huge disparity of rights in the US.

Some circuits have ruled for shall issue...some may issue...some no issue...

They need to take a damn case.

But they won't. Public opinion is too scary.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 3:53:04 AM EDT
[#3]
SCOTUS is close to making itself irrelevant as they continue to neglect and weaken our Bill of Rights.

Deciding 80-100 fringe cases a year is a meaningless exercise to most Americans.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 4:25:05 AM EDT
[#4]
I'm awaiting Good News this Good Friday.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 4:59:57 AM EDT
[#5]
Personally: They aren't going to take it.

If they do it will be because of Peruta. Right now California wants nothing to do with taking that case to SCOTUS (hard to argue with a ruling based on constitutional requirements instead of dissenting opinion interest balancing), so the 9th is hashing out whether Brady or some other fucktard group can take up the case.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 7:11:31 AM EDT
[#6]
SCOTUS is bought and paid for - they are gutless ninnies. They're hiding out thinking they'll leave SCOTUS and live out the rest of their lives in comfort. When the financial chickens come home to roast and the economy implodes, they'll be wondering who the mobs of FSA are breaking into their castles and guzzling the expensive burgundies and merlot while they gang rape their grandchildren.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 7:19:48 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 8:40:18 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
SCOTUS is bought and paid for - they are gutless ninnies. They're hiding out thinking they'll leave SCOTUS and live out the rest of their lives in comfort. When the financial chickens come home to roast and the economy implodes, they'll be wondering who the mobs of FSA are breaking into their castles and guzzling the expensive burgundies and merlot while they gang rape their grandchildren.
View Quote

woah
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 8:51:50 AM EDT
[#9]
That escalated quickly
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 9:03:44 AM EDT
[#10]
What the...

Look, the Peruta decision pretty much ensures that SCOTUS needs to take one of these cases to resolve the conflicting decisions in the Circuits.  Which one?  I have no idea.  Sit back, relax and don't stress out over something none of us has any control over.  Just my 2 cents.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 11:43:30 AM EDT
[#11]
Not stressed out, just don't believe it's going to happen.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 6:24:23 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
What the...

Look, the Peruta decision pretty much ensures that SCOTUS needs to take one of these cases to resolve the conflicting decisions in the Circuits.  Which one?  I have no idea.  Sit back, relax and don't stress out over something none of us has any control over.  Just my 2 cents.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
What the...

Aye.

SCOTUSblog is open, waiting for the announcement ... fingers crossed.

They posted it as their petition of the day yesterday:

Petition of the day

The petition of the day is:
Drake v. Jerejian
13-827

Issue: (1) Whether the Second Amendment secures a right to carry handguns outside the home for self-defense; and (2) whether state officials violate the Second Amendment by requiring that individuals wishing to exercise their right to carry a handgun for self-defense first prove a “justifiable need” for doing so.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 10:27:35 AM EDT
[#13]

Editor's Note :

On Monday at 9:30 a.m. we expect orders from the April 18 Conference. On both Tuesday and Wednesday we expect one or more decisions in argued cases; we will be live blogging both days beginning at 9:45 a.m.
View Quote

Annnnnnd the wait begins.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 10:32:47 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Editor's Note :

On Monday at 9:30 a.m. we expect orders from the April 18 Conference. On both Tuesday and Wednesday we expect one or more decisions in argued cases; we will be live blogging both days beginning at 9:45 a.m.

Retarded.  Adjourned for Easter, I guess =/
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 10:59:54 AM EDT
[#15]
Just need to find a clerk with a big mouth.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 11:02:21 AM EDT
[#16]
So we will hear Monday if scotus granted cert.

I assume Drake won't be one of the cases they will just decide on Tuesday or Wednesday...I assume they have to hear oral arguments first right?
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 11:05:25 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
So we will hear Monday if scotus granted cert.

I assume Drake won't be one of the cases they will just decide on Tuesday or Wednesday...I assume they have to hear oral arguments first right?
View Quote

That's right.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 12:00:54 PM EDT
[#18]
Won't be heard.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 3:48:49 AM EDT
[#19]
Well today is the day. We will see how cowardly scotus is again I bet.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 4:38:57 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

While I agree, we should also see it with the perspective that there was a 69-year gap between SCOTUS' Heller and Miller decisions.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 5:43:21 AM EDT
[#21]
Annnnnnnnnd Drake has been denied.  

There's 2 cases with Drake, confirming wtf is up.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 6:06:50 AM EDT
[#22]
NJ hometown forum says it is still pending...no order given yet but not denied.

Probably not a good sign though.

They say we may know next week.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 6:09:14 AM EDT
[#23]
I see nothing about it on SCOTUSblog
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 6:47:24 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

While I agree, we should also see it with the perspective that there was a 69-year gap between SCOTUS' Heller and Miller decisions.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And a bill from Az that was similar to "may issue" for abortion made its way through the CA9 at a record pace (6mo IIRC)
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 6:54:29 AM EDT
[#25]
I only scrolled through it quickly but unless I missed it, it looks like they have not gotten to Drake today.

Breaking News : The Court has granted three new cases: Heien v. North Carolina (13-604), Zivotofsky v. Kerry (13-628), and Johnson v. United States (13-7120).
View Quote

http://www.supremecourt.gov/orders/courtorders/042114zor_c0n2.pdf
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 7:07:51 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

And a bill from Az that was similar to "may issue" for abortion made its way through the CA9 at a record pace (6mo IIRC)
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

reproductive "rights", yo
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 7:12:57 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I only scrolled through it quickly but unless I missed it, it looks like they have not gotten to Drake today.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Breaking News : The Court has granted three new cases: Heien v. North Carolina (13-604), Zivotofsky v. Kerry (13-628), and Johnson v. United States (13-7120).

Re-conference for 4/25
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 9:46:51 AM EDT
[#28]
Well, it's 4/25 any word on anything?
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 9:53:26 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 9:54:14 AM EDT
[#30]
On SCOTUS blog, they have this:

On Monday at 9:30 a.m. we expect orders from the April 25 Conference. We will report on the orders as soon as they become available.
View Quote

I'm guessing Drake is in that group, but I am not 100% sure.
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 1:05:36 PM EDT
[#31]
In anticipation of Monday's announcement, I shall preemptively post the following images.

Link Posted: 4/25/2014 1:25:19 PM EDT
[#32]
They want to take it. They just are afraid of the Liberal Media.
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 1:57:53 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote

If so, they would have announced it at the end of the day on Friday.  That way they have the weekend for the furor of the liberal media to die down and hope that some other interesting news item surfaces before the weekly news cycle restarts.

They will duck this case just like all the other 2nd Amendment cases recently.
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 2:04:49 AM EDT
[#34]
Obama/Holder/ Sotomayer- The threesome of treason.
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 3:49:55 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
If so, they would have announced it at the end of the day on Friday.  That way they have the weekend for the furor of the liberal media to die down and hope that some other interesting news item surfaces before the weekly news cycle restarts.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I am curious as to who the justices are that have been denying the cases.  I would not be surprised if Scalia, Thomas and Alito want a case, the four progressives do not and there is a toss-up with Roberts and Kennedy.

Still I would prefer no ruling at all, with the ability to still move to a free state, than a terrible ruling that officially eviscerates the Second Amendment and opens the door for tough nationwide regulation at the Federal level.

Link Posted: 4/27/2014 7:34:43 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Of course they are going to duck it. Until a state (Like Hawaii and Commiefornia just did) gets it's pee-pee smacked in court and petition, they don't care about us lowly serfs.
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 7:50:02 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

I am curious as to who the justices are that have been denying the cases.  I would not be surprised if Scalia, Thomas and Alito want a case, the four progressives do not and there is a toss-up with Roberts and Kennedy.

Still I would prefer no ruling at all, with the ability to still move to a free state, than a terrible ruling that officially eviscerates the Second Amendment and opens the door for tough nationwide regulation at the Federal level.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I would think Scalia is as likely to refuse to hear a case if he feels the vote would not be in our favor.
Link Posted: 4/28/2014 5:07:00 AM EDT
[#38]
Well here we are...we find out today in 30 minutes if SCOTUS has gone full blown coward.

I think they will deny cert...even though they have NO reason to do so...there is a clear and divisive split between circuits regarding shall and may issue. A clear disparity of rights.

A perfect time to step in.

But they won't.
Link Posted: 4/28/2014 5:49:34 AM EDT
[#39]
And the plot thickens!

The Justices did not act on the Second Amendment case Drake v. Jerejian.
View Quote
Link Posted: 4/28/2014 5:50:24 AM EDT
[#40]
Looks to be relisted again.  It was not denied.
Link Posted: 4/28/2014 5:52:08 AM EDT
[#41]
And...not listed as a case that was accepted.

Big surprise.

What does it mean to be relisted 2 times???

Are they waiting on Peruta and the 9th circuit in Cali to be completely resolved?
Link Posted: 4/28/2014 6:01:25 AM EDT
[#42]
I'm starting to think so. It's not on the denied list, so it stays in limbo.
Link Posted: 4/28/2014 6:48:43 AM EDT
[#43]
Officially redistributed for the May 2nd conference.

WTF is going on?

Whatever...I don't have much hope...they are probably delaying it to make it LOOK like they are "desperately" trying to grant cert and give it a fair shake...but they are probably laughing behind closed doors because they know they won't take it.
Link Posted: 4/28/2014 7:19:15 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

WTF is going on?

Whatever...I don't have much hope...they are probably delaying it to make it LOOK like they are "desperately" trying to grant cert and give it a fair shake...but they are probably laughing behind closed doors because they know they won't take it.
View Quote

I really doubt that are playing games like that.  SCOTUS is not afraid to deny cert--they do it all the time on high stakes cases.  

There are justices keeping this one alive for a reason.
Link Posted: 4/28/2014 7:31:47 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

I really doubt that are playing games like that.  SCOTUS is not afraid to deny cert--they do it all the time on high stakes cases.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

WTF is going on?

So this may actually be a good sign?
Link Posted: 4/28/2014 7:33:55 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Big surprise.

Are they waiting on Peruta and the 9th circuit in Cali to be completely resolved?
View Quote

I did a little looking around regarding other cases, if you read some of the articles on Scotus blog you will see that relisting is very common and is seen as a sign that the Justices are researching the case. Some cases were relisted many, many times before being heard. I think this is a good sign that shows SCOTUS knows the ramifications of the case and wants to make sure this is the right one to review.
Link Posted: 4/28/2014 7:52:07 AM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 4/28/2014 7:52:35 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

I did a little looking around regarding other cases, if you read some of the articles on Scotus blog you will see that relisting is very common and is seen as a sign that the Justices are researching the case. Some cases were relisted many, many times before being heard. I think this is a good sign that shows SCOTUS knows the ramifications of the case and wants to make sure this is the right one to review.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Big surprise.

One case has 19 relists.

But I will stick to the fact that SCOTUS doesnt care about the 2a unless a state appeals a decision.
Link Posted: 4/28/2014 8:57:48 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
One case has 19 relists.

But I will stick to the fact that SCOTUS doesnt care about the 2a unless a state appeals a decision.
View Quote

In McDonald v. Chicago, SCOTUS reversed the 7th Circuit Court of Appeals that had held Chicago's gun ban valid.  In that case, it was McDonald and the NRA (consolidated cases) that were the petitioners.  

The conservative side of the Court really does want to solidify and define the 2A right.  They have shown that.  

There is so much politics and maneuvering involved in granting and denying cert, though, and the margin of pro-2A justices is so thin that it is impossible to predict what is going on behind the closed doors.
Link Posted: 4/28/2014 9:19:12 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

WTF is going on?

View Quote

Not the case.  They have no problem denying cert.  Like the one they just denied against Obama for indefinite detention of "terrorists," including US citizens.  That's a huge case that they should absolutely clarify, but they DENIED cert nonetheless.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top