Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 1/13/2008 2:02:41 PM EDT
We need it, and we've been asking for it, so here it comes!

At the SJSC  Activities Committee meeting this afternoon, the hosting of an ARFCOM Blast was approved for Saturday February 9, 2008. We will have the exclusive use of the 300 yard range for the day. That gives us the ability to vary the shooting distance over the course of the day, just by moving the tables that will serve as the shooting line.  The bullet trap/target house will be fully loaded with target backers to which you can staple your paper targets.  For other than paper, the rule in effect is "You shoot it, you clean it up (no glass anytime)" so if you want to, for example, kill frozen pumpkins, putting a tarp down first will make for a much easier cleanup. Plinking (other than paper) targets need to be within 3 feet of the bullet trap.

Given that it's a month away, I have no idea what the weather will be like that day.  I've learned that you can't overdress for shooting at SJSC and you should be dressed in layers, with thermals as your base layer.  Heat on the range will most likely be provided by a steel barrel fire, courtesy of fellow arfcomer and SJSC Range Safety Officer MrMurphy. WE DON'T NEED NO STINKING HEAT!!

THERE WILL BE AN ON-SITE FOOD VENDOR
There's a decent diner (Peter's) on the Black Horse Pike (Rt 322) less than 10 minutes west of the range that I anticipate would see a surge in business when we're done blasting.  Those of you who are customers of PK90 and are familiar with his location, the range is less than 10 minutes from his place.

As this is the PRNJ, you New Yawkers should keep in mind that "preban" is just a meaningless six letter word.  Otherwise, things are the same for long arms and better for handguns.  There's no restriction on caliber at SJSC and unlike Range 14, non-shoulder fired weapons are welcome.  Handgunners are welcome to bring and shoot their non-assault weapons.  

Magazine capacity is limited by stupid state law to 15 rounds, regardless of the mag's age.  I will bring my 15 round AR mags for loan to those of you lucky bastahds who only own 30s.

As more details get finalized I will update you here at the top of page 1.
I presume we will get started at 10AM, and since sundown that day is about 5:10PM, the range will probably go cold for the day by 4PM

The participation charge by the range is $10 for non-SJSC members, and $5 for SJSC members.

I hope to see many many of you guys (and girls too) here that day. Maybe those of you from NY and north Jersey can carpool to come down.  And you can fill up while you're here in south Jersey.  Regular was $2.859 2.759 today on my way home!

UPDATES:

A note from John C, chairman of the SJSC Activities Committee:

No food or vegetable targets or any other messy organic stuff.

Water filled hanging plastic jugs of various sizes would be fine.

Nothing that would fragment into small pieces that could not be cleaned
up thoroughly.

Remember, you shoot it, you clean it.

Range must be clean when it is all over.

SJSC WEBSITE NOTICE AND LINK TO REGISTRATION FORM:
Link Posted: 1/13/2008 2:33:26 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
There's a decent diner (Peter's) on the Black Horse Pike (Rt 322) less than 10 minutes west of the range that I anticipate would see a surge in business when we're done blasting.

WE'LL ALL GO TO JAIL!!!!

Sounds like fun, gotta work out my schedule -- man, I hope my M4 barrel gets back by then.

-WhyTanFox
Link Posted: 1/13/2008 2:38:17 PM EDT
[#2]

All I gotta do now is get the day off
Link Posted: 1/13/2008 2:57:43 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

I hope to see many many of you guys (and girls too) here that day. Maybe those of you from NY and north Jersey can carpool to come down.  And you can fill up while you're here in south Jersey.  Regular was $2.859 today on my way home!

well go to jail for that too well have to buy some 55 gallon barrels for gas and hook them up to our fuel tanks so we refuel on the go. or atleast for those of us that have gas guzzlers like me
Link Posted: 1/13/2008 4:56:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/13/2008 6:32:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Ill be there. Its been way too long since the last one..and I missed that one.
Link Posted: 1/13/2008 7:02:00 PM EDT
[#6]
hey i think i might be able to make a blast appearaance
its on my day off
Link Posted: 1/13/2008 8:10:28 PM EDT
[#7]

Cool!  Hoping everyone can make it.  

Link Posted: 1/14/2008 1:57:51 AM EDT
[#8]
Old fashioned tag.
Link Posted: 1/14/2008 4:15:28 AM EDT
[#9]
Hey! I'm actually off that day!  doc
Link Posted: 1/14/2008 7:55:20 AM EDT
[#10]
Gee - I don't know.
Link Posted: 1/14/2008 9:35:08 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Gee - I don't know.

I'll bring a Door Prize just for you
Link Posted: 1/14/2008 11:12:59 AM EDT
[#12]
What would be the ruling on Bowling Pins ?

Thanks,I hope to be able to make down there.
Link Posted: 1/14/2008 12:08:19 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
What would be the ruling on Bowling Pins ?

Thanks,I hope to be able to make down there.

If you have a length of chain attached to the top of your bowling pin, you could hang the pin from the same eye-bolt (with an s-hook) that the target backers are suspended from.  It's easy enough to unhook a target backer from its suspension, leaving you 2 eye-bolts to hang  "action targets" from on each of the 20 target spaces.
Link Posted: 1/14/2008 12:42:08 PM EDT
[#14]
I'm in...

I have a few bowling ball pins I could bring from Buckeye...

RW3
Link Posted: 1/15/2008 11:18:44 AM EDT
[#15]
I'm working on it. Me plus one or two other guys perhaps. One being another ARF member who doesn't post much.

Link Posted: 1/15/2008 4:07:53 PM EDT
[#16]

njJoniGuy:

I will come and possibly bring two additional shooters that "lurk"  this board.

Regards,

Iggyort

How many rifles can I bring ????
Link Posted: 1/15/2008 4:33:18 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

How many rifles can I bring ????

As many as you little heart desires
Link Posted: 1/15/2008 4:57:50 PM EDT
[#18]
I'll be there...
Link Posted: 1/15/2008 6:39:46 PM EDT
[#19]
I'll be there also.  

Showing off my madly awesome pistol skills  
Link Posted: 1/15/2008 7:14:51 PM EDT
[#20]
Remember to dress warm gentlemen.  I will TRY and find a way to get some heat to the range but I make no promises about it actually happening.  I'm busy working on my man cave/ reloading room but I will be your RSO for the day.
Link Posted: 1/15/2008 7:52:12 PM EDT
[#21]
I have some old computers that I think would look better with 7.62mm holes in them. In the off chance I manage to not have to work that day would these be acceptable targets?

I really hope I can make it, this sounds like a blast

Edit: no pun intended
Link Posted: 1/15/2008 8:14:36 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
I have some old computers that I think would look better with 7.62mm holes in them. In the off chance I manage to not have to work that day would these be acceptable targets?

I really hope I can make it, this sounds like a blast

Edit: no pun intended

CRTs are not acceptable targets, due to the implosion and especially the glass.
CPUs are another story.
If you can contain all the resulting debris from the impact (like putting a ground cloth/tarp down first) then you're obeying the directive of "You shoot it, you clean it up"
Link Posted: 1/16/2008 5:01:50 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Remember to dress warm gentlemen.  I will TRY and find a way to get some heat to the range but I make no promises about it actually happening.  I'm busy working on my man cave/ reloading room but I will be your RSO for the day.

We don't need no stinkin' HEAT

Actually some Arfcommers here have experienced a Snowball Shoot at Fort Dix Range 14 with snow/ice on the ground and howling winds, temps in the teens, we were the only people to show up.
The good ole days
Link Posted: 1/16/2008 7:35:20 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Actually some Arfcommers here have experienced a Snowball Shoot at Fort Dix Range 14 with snow/ice on the ground and howling winds, temps in the teens, we were the only people to show up.
The good ole days

ahhhh....that brings a frozen tear to my eye...I think that was my first blast...yes...the good ole days indeed!
Link Posted: 1/17/2008 6:22:50 PM EDT
[#25]
sounds fun! i'll have to see what's up that day!

Thanks for the heads up WoJo!
Link Posted: 1/17/2008 6:40:19 PM EDT
[#26]
I'm in if i can get my parents to bring down my AR.  I'm right at Rowan so it's like 10 minutes from me
Link Posted: 1/18/2008 10:30:29 AM EDT
[#27]
I HOPE to attend.

Haven't been to the range in a while anyway.
Link Posted: 1/19/2008 7:25:49 AM EDT
[#28]
Holy cow, a NJ crew AR15.com event I can actually attend!

I'm down.

Are bowling pins ok to bring?

Link Posted: 1/19/2008 7:34:36 AM EDT
[#29]
I'm pretty sure the answer was yes to bowling pins.

Where do you buy bowling pins?
Link Posted: 1/19/2008 8:52:02 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

You can often buy/get messed up pins from a bowling alley. After a while they soften up and get damaged and are replaced. I think they just usually throw them out. Let them know you want a few.
Link Posted: 1/19/2008 9:27:12 AM EDT
[#31]
Are tripod mounted weapons allowed?  My Birth day is the 10th of Feb.  Hell of a birthday party.
Link Posted: 1/19/2008 11:22:55 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
Are tripod mounted weapons allowed?  My Birth day is the 10th of Feb.  Hell of a birthday party.

Absolutely Matt!
Bring a cake and we'll either eat it or shoot it
Link Posted: 1/19/2008 1:25:56 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Absolutely Matt!
Bring a cake PIE and we'll either eat it or shoot it
Link Posted: 1/20/2008 4:45:31 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You can often buy/get messed up pins from a bowling alley. After a while they soften up and get damaged and are replaced. I think they just usually throw them out. Let them know you want a few.

A few years back I went to the local alley (.......err closest) and ask if they had an pins they wanted to get rid of.  Good timing as they replace their entire inventory of pins two days before.  My friend and I split up about 1000 pins and I still have about 200 left.  They hold up really well against .223 at distances 50 yards and beyond.

Link Posted: 1/20/2008 5:24:19 AM EDT
[#35]
I still have approx. 500 lol.

I'm down with the get together.

From,
Joe....
Link Posted: 1/20/2008 1:36:43 PM EDT
[#36]

What is the official number of people going ??

Does anyone have a count???

Iggyort
Link Posted: 1/20/2008 1:58:18 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
What is the official number of people going ??
Does anyone have a count???

Good question Iggy!
I added a poll to the top of page 1 to get a count.

And don't forget to pre-register at the SJSC Activities Committee site so you get your $5 coupon for a club fun shoot later this year.

There was a suggestion about having a lunch truck on site to do coffee/hot chocolate/lunch at the range.  If anyone knows of a mobile caterer that would be interested in servicing us on that Saturday, please contact me.  Thanks, and I hope to see lots of you in 3 weeks.
Link Posted: 1/20/2008 2:13:58 PM EDT
[#38]
Semi-official list of who's going

njJoniGuy
mag162
Fishpaw
RAYWOODROW3RD
Iggyort
johnQpublik
thundar
MrMurphy - He's our RSO for the day.
wastegate
223Rem
M1-Matt
fly223
Bobby_the_Hun
PK90 (Will have a supply of the new 15 round polymer mags!!!)
Wojo +1
Special Guest appearance likely by Lugerman
555R
Ghostdoc Out due to sickness
NPDRIVER +1
totalabuse "Maybe"
Flip5oh
BoBoPrime
2gun +1
JoelK - Back in the list!

ETA - I'll add to this post to keep track of it.
Link Posted: 1/20/2008 2:20:51 PM EDT
[#39]
I am going to try to make it
Link Posted: 1/20/2008 2:58:58 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
Semi-official list of who's going

njJoniGuy
mag162
Fishpaw
RAYWOODROW3RD
Iggyort
johnQpublik
thundar
MrMurphy - He's our RSO for the day.
wastegate
223Rem
M1-Matt
fly223
JoelK

ETA - I'll add to this post to keep track of it.

Add me to the list
Link Posted: 1/20/2008 8:17:50 PM EDT
[#41]
What the F*%k is my name?
Link Posted: 1/20/2008 8:37:45 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Do you mean where the F*%k is your name?

Adding it now mister cranky.
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 3:19:10 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Paul
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 3:29:07 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Paul

I didn't think he was old enough for senility to affect him.

Link Posted: 1/21/2008 4:35:24 AM EDT
[#45]
OOOHHH  OKAY!!!  Bust my balls will ya!!  Paybacks are a bitch.
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 4:45:48 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
OOOHHH  OKAY!!!  Bust my balls will ya!!  Paybacks are a bitch.

Oh come on, do you know how long I'll keep bringing up that 9mm deal I told you about...
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 5:08:46 AM EDT
[#47]
Paul, can you bring some of your new Magpul 15 round mags?  I would like to pick up a couple, and I am sure lots of other people will want some

Edited to add a LINK for those who don't know what I am talking about.
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 11:32:05 AM EDT
[#48]
working day watch that weekend
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 3:35:07 PM EDT
[#49]
I'm in, just cleared it with HQ.

I'll be calling the others to see if they are up for it.
Link Posted: 1/22/2008 3:32:23 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
I still have approx. 500 lol.

I'm down with the get together.

From,
Joe....

Then I guess we should start using your stuff more often.........

ETA:  Good call asking Paul to see if he would bring some NJ P-Mags.  His next P-Mag will have the windows.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top