User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/5/2006 5:43:43 AM EDT
From The Trenton Times, Sunday Feb 5th

Ammunition protest misses mark
Sunday, February 05, 2006
By MIRTA DAMATO
Staff Writer

WEST WINDSOR -- A rally in front of Dick's Sporting Goods to protest the store's sale of ammunition faded shortly after police informed the group they were standing on private property yesterday.

But the event sponsored by the Poor Peoples Campaign and Mothers Against Violence had already been hindered by rain and by an ongoing controversy surrounding organizer Daryl Brooks.

Persistent rain forced the group of about 12 to cancel a planned 7.2-mile march from Martin Luther King Jr. Middle School in Trenton to Nassau Park Pavilion, where the retail store is located.
"We want people to become aware of what is going on," said Brooks, who heads the Poor Peoples Campaign. "We want to stop any way that these gang members could get ammo."

Brooks, who was fired from Dick's last year after the store discovered he has a criminal record, said he is not a disgruntled former employee with a vendetta against the store. He claims that at the time he worked at Dick's, he informed management about what he said were gang members in hooded sweaters purchasing ammunition.
"He (the manager) told me he couldn't do anything about it," Brooks said. "He said all they can do is notify the police."

Brooks, a longtime Trenton activist, was convicted in 1998 of exposing himself to two Trenton girls and served three years and eight months of a seven-year prison term.

While Brooks denies his dismissal resulted in the targeting of the sporting goods store, other groups that originally supported the protest have found it suspect and withdrawn from the alliance.

"It's a shame that the NAACP, Cease Fire and the Coalition for Peace did not come out to support the cause," Brooks said yesterday. "They supported protesting Dick's in the beginning. They were upset that I got too much of the interview."

The Rev. Robert Moore, Coalition For Peace Action executive director, said yesterday the decision not to support the march stemmed from Brooks' failure to collaborate with other group members and his failure to tell them about his ties to Dick's Sporting Goods.

"We also kept finding out more things about him," Moore said. "I believe in the possibility of redemption. We knew that he was a convicted sex offender. That's troublesome, of course, but it wasn't until one of the articles in The Trenton Times that we found out that he had been fired from Dick's. That obviously made the motivation for the march much more suspect. I don't believe in working with people that have important information and withhold that information."

Moore added that the march, originally scheduled for the Martin Luther King holiday, was canceled and Brooks did not collaborate with the other groups about yesterday's rescheduled event.

"He (Brooks) is entitled to take action on behalf of his own group, but the rest of us did not ever make a commitment for today," Moore said yesterday. "We all still support the cause together of trying to reduce gang violence and gun violence, but we find Darryl's leadership style to be problematic."

Bryan Miller, executive director of Cease Fire New Jersey, said he found Brooks not a reliable partner. "This business about him of being a former employee of Dick's is not a good situation for him to lead a protest about Dick's," Miller said. "We decided, at least Cease Fire New Jersey decided that it would be better if we remove ourselves from the association with Darryl Brooks. We are interested in working with people who are interested in reducing gang violence, not trying to gain publicity for themselves."

Zachary Chester, NAACP chapter president, did not want to respond to Brooks' comments, except to say that they are untrue. He said they supported sending a letter to Dick's to cease selling ammunition. "We have not heard from them yet," Chester said.

While the rally did not go as planned, the damp signs carried by protesters, mostly youngsters, reading "Stop The Violence," "Guns Kill" and "Buy One Get One Free" with a photo of a coffin and youngsters pointing a handgun, did attract attention from some shopping center patrons.

"I'm totally against weapons," said Maria Knapp of Lawrence. "If they (gang members) didn't have the ammunition, they couldn't use the weapons. I'm totally against guns and stores that sell ammunition. This is a sporting goods store and they should just sell sports. I don't think ammunition goes under the heading sports."

...Sigh.  Ignorance at work again!
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 5:53:58 AM EDT
[#1]
"I'm totally against weapons," said Maria Knapp of Lawrence. "If they (gang members) didn't have the ammunition, they couldn't use the weapons. I'm totally against guns and stores that sell ammunition. This is a sporting goods store and they should just sell sports. I don't think ammunition goes under the heading sports."

It must really suck to be so out of touch with reality or just plain fookin stupid. I'm sure the gang bangers will all melt their guns/kinves down into plows and become model citizens when Dick's Sporting Goods stops selling ammunition.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 6:19:19 AM EDT
[#2]
M      O       R      O      N      S
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 6:28:00 AM EDT
[#3]

Persistent rain forced the group of about 12 to cancel a planned 7.2-mile march from Martin Luther King Jr. Middle School in Trenton to Nassau Park Pavilion, where the retail store is located.

Link Posted: 2/5/2006 6:37:29 AM EDT
[#4]
I wish I had known. I live right near there. I would have put my hoodie on and bought some ammo. beotch!
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 7:17:31 AM EDT
[#5]
I bet these people want it both ways.  The moment a store uses it's discretion to not sell to individuals who appear to be gang bangers, the cries of racism will fly.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 8:18:44 AM EDT
[#6]
Yup, if I had known it was going to go on I would have definitely gone and bought some ammo.

What I can't figure out is how in the world can that lady think that shooting isn't a sport?  I'm sorry, I guess the International Olympic Commitee is completely wrong in classifying "Shooting" as a Olympic Sport (Summer) since 1896, with 17 different shooting games today (see below for game list).  

International Olympic Commitee Shooting Sport Page

International Olympic Committee Shooting Games List
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 9:28:20 AM EDT
[#7]
Some A$$HOLES will never get it.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 11:55:58 AM EDT
[#8]
"Poor Peoples Campaign and Mothers Against Violence" They both sound like Communist front organizations.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 12:21:28 PM EDT
[#9]
When I read the title, I thought it was a protest against Dick's for their ammo ads on Black Friday.  
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 12:59:30 PM EDT
[#10]
I too thought it was a protest against Dick's prices.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 7:59:07 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 5:51:52 AM EDT
[#12]
If you can actually get the guys in Sports Authority to help you (vs. running away when they see a customer), their prices are actually a lot higher than Dick's... sadly.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 8:38:55 AM EDT
[#13]
Wouldn't these "gang-bangers" need a FID (which a gang member most likley wouldn't get given his/her records and lack of references) to get the ammo at Dicks anyway?
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 8:59:00 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Wouldn't these "gang-bangers" need a FID (which a gang member most likley wouldn't get given his/her records and lack of references) to get the ammo at Dicks anyway?

Nope, just a DL.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 9:07:15 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Nope, just a DL.

Really? At that Dick's location, they always ask me for my FID when I buy ammo. I recently forgot it and they wouldnt sell it to me.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 9:39:05 AM EDT
[#16]
Yup, the twice that I bought ammo there (once because I needed ammo on my way to the range, and another because of a sale) they asked for my FID and made me sign a book.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 10:23:43 AM EDT
[#17]
"I'm totally against weapons," said Maria Knapp of Lawrence. "If they (gang members) didn't have the ammunition, they couldn't use the weapons. I'm totally against guns and stores that sell ammunition. This is a sporting goods store and they should just sell sports. I don't think ammunition goes under the heading sports"

----this is the reason God invented firing squads---
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 10:25:42 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Yup, the twice that I bought ammo there (once because I needed ammo on my way to the range, and another because of a sale) they asked for my FID and made me sign a book.

Were you wearing baggy pants and a "hoodie"? No, that's probably why you weren't served.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 11:32:58 AM EDT
[#19]
You guys in Joisey are always confusing me. I was told previously that you do not need a FID card to posses a firearm in NJ nor do you need one to purchase ammunition.

Where is the esteemed NJ PA goderator?
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 11:53:23 AM EDT
[#20]
I can't quote you chapter and verse on the possession/FID question (PK90 where are you?) but I have bought ammo here in NJ literally hundreds of times on just my drivers license (I don't carry my FID in my wallet) and have NEVER had to sign the book they copy my info (name, address, D/L number, birthdate, type of pistol ammo, quantity) into. Rifle ammo (exc 22LR) just take it up to the register, no book involved.

These clerks in West Windsor must have been read the riot act at some point by the State Police or the BATFE to be going the extra mile here.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 12:06:45 PM EDT
[#21]
Probably.  I don't normally buy ammo from them so I never sought to make a big deal about it.  I'd much rather just buy it online.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 1:04:31 PM EDT
[#22]
This is the only record keeping requirement that I can find in NJ law. It makes no mention of a FID card and it only refers to the purchase of dum-dum or body armor penetrating  bullets.  

2C:39-3. Prohibited weapons and devices.

f. Dum-dum or body armor penetrating bullets.
(1) Any person, other than a law enforcement
officer or persons engaged in activities
pursuant to subsection f. of N.J.S.2C:39-6, who
knowingly has in his possession any hollow
nose or dum-dum bullet, or

(2)a. Nothing in subsection f.(1) shall be construed
to prevent a person from keeping such
ammunition at his dwelling, premises or other
land owned or possessed by him, or from carryng
such ammunition from the place of purchase
to said dwelling or land, nor shall subsection f.
(1) be construed to prevent any licensed retail or
wholesale firearms dealer from possessing such
ammunition at its licensed premises, provided
that the seller of any such ammunition shall
maintain a record of the name, age and place of
residence of any purchaser who is not a licensed
dealer, together with the date of sale
and quantity of ammunition sold.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 3:32:16 PM EDT
[#23]
The seller only needs to verify that the buyer is of legal age and only needs to maintain records for the sale of hollow point and handgun ammunition.  I write down the purchaser's DL#.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 2:34:12 PM EDT
[#24]
Anyone else find it funny that this moron protesting outside Dick's was arrested for exposing himself?

Sorry, just me then, resume the regularly scheduled thread.

SoS
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 3:37:48 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Anyone else find it funny that this moron protesting outside Dick's was arrested for exposing himself?

Was that the same guy who woke up at the crack of dawn?
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 7:35:22 PM EDT
[#26]
Boo...Puns are bad .
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top