Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/16/2005 9:57:38 PM EDT
Links, contact info, updates, etc... www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=325031

Molon labe!!!
Link Posted: 2/17/2005 1:15:11 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/17/2005 1:02:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Call you representatives! I was the first to get through to S. DeFransico and A. Barkeley. Get crackin' guys!

A03371 has no Senate version as of yet.
Link Posted: 2/18/2005 12:25:33 PM EDT
[#3]
UPDATE: it just got a whole lot worse!

Check the link above & then get involved!!!
Link Posted: 2/18/2005 12:39:26 PM EDT
[#4]
As a Pennsylvania citizen trapped in NYS, all I can say is, it's been nice knowing you guys. Bug-out time.

Seriously though, I wish all permanent residents of NYS the best of luck in defeating all of this nonsense and keeping it at bay as long as possible.
Link Posted: 2/18/2005 1:15:00 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

hr

What just happened??
Link Posted: 2/18/2005 7:02:12 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

What just happened??

Seems they want to make handguards on rifles an evil feature if they are not connected to the buttstock and are adding the Bushmaster XM-15 and all like rifles to the definition of assault weapons as well as others.

ETA:  S2445

24. "BARREL SHROUD" MEANS A SHROUD THAT IS ATTACHED TO,  OR  PARTIALLY OR COMPLETELY  ENCIRCLES,  THE  BARREL  OF  A WEAPON SO THAT THE SHROUD PROTECTS THE USER OF THE WEAPON FROM HEAT GENERATED BY THE  BARREL,  BUT DOES  NOT INCLUDE A SLIDE THAT ENCLOSES THE BARREL, AND DOES NOT INCLUDE AN EXTENSION OF THE STOCK ALONG THE BOTTOM OF THE BARREL WHICH DOES  NOT ENCIRCLE OR SUBSTANTIALLY ENCIRCLE THE BARREL.

30.  "PISTOL GRIP" MEANS A GRIP, A THUMBHOLE STOCK, OR ANY OTHER CHARACTERISTIC THAT CAN FUNCTION AS A GRIP.
Link Posted: 2/18/2005 7:10:21 PM EDT
[#7]
If this bullshit gathers any steam, we need to organize a march on Albany. I'm serious. Enough is enough in this sorry excuse for a state.
Link Posted: 2/18/2005 8:42:31 PM EDT
[#8]
S02445 - Adds more firearms to the list of banned assualt weapons and adds more features to the list of what makes a firearm an assault weapon under the NY State AWB.

A03371 - Repeals the grandfather clause of the NY State AWB.

A04471 - Bans all rifles capable of firing a 50 caliber centerfire cartridge or larger with an exception made for muzzle loading rifles.

Did I miss any?

ETA:
A02466 closely resembles S02445.  Not the same but both add a barrel shroud (aka handguards) and various stocks to the list of no-no features.  Reduces the number of allowable features to zero.
Link Posted: 2/20/2005 4:44:47 AM EDT
[#9]
Talk about deja vu...  This feels like 2000 all over again and despite phone calls and letters, we still got "the perma  ban".  The only hope is the Senate, assuming Pataki doesn't roll on us like he did last time, which I assume he will (I am sure he wants to run again in 2006).

Link Posted: 2/20/2005 4:50:59 PM EDT
[#10]
ah shit here we go again

Link Posted: 2/22/2005 9:30:31 PM EDT
[#11]
OK... here is are some tools that YOU can use to fight & defeat the new NY AWBs' that have been proposed. What follows is a bare minimum contact list, and 3 sample letters that YOU can mix & match, cut & paste, and generally plagiarize.

Time to roll up our sleeves & do the hard work that freedom often demands...

Governor George E. Pataki
State Capitol
Albany, NY 12224
Fax#: (518) 474-1513
Phone#: (518) 474-8390

Click here to find out who your State Senator is & how to contact them

Senate Majority Leader Joseph L. Bruno
Legislative Office Building
Room 909
Albany, NY 12247
Fax#: (518) 455-2448
Phone#: (518) 455-3191

Senator Hugh T. Farley
Senate Majority Whip
Legislative Office Building, Room 412
Albany, NY 12247
Fax#: (518) 455-2271
Phone#: (518) 455-2181

Senate Minority Leader David A. Paterson
907 Legislative Office Building
Albany, NY 12247
Fax#: (518) 426-6844
Phone#: (518) 455-2701

Senator Carl Andrews
Senate Minority Whip
413 Legislative Office Building
Albany, NY 12247
Fax#: (518) 426-6856
Phone#: (518) 455-2431

Click here to find out who your State Assemblyperson is & how to contact them

Speaker of the Assembly Sheldon Silver
Room 932
Albany, NY 12248
Fax#: (518) 455-5459
Phone#: (518) 455-3791

Assembly Majority Leader Paul A. Tokasz
Room 926
Albany, NY 12248
Fax#: (518) 455-3962
Phone#: (518) 455-5921

Assembly Minority Leader Charles H. Nesbitt
Room 933
Albany, NY 12248
Fax#: (518) 455-3750
Phone#: (518) 455-3751

Assembly Minority Whip David R. Townsend Jr.
Room 448
Albany, NY 12248
Fax#: (518) 455-5391
Phone#: (518) 455-5334

Dear Assemblyman  XXXXX,

As a registered voter and life long resident of New York, I am writing you in order to express my strong opposition to any amendment or strengthening of our state’s so-called “Assault Weapons” ban.  Recently, several of you colleagues in Albany have introduced legislation that would impose unacceptable limitations on law abiding gun owners while doing nothing to control or prevent crime.  These bills (A.03371 & S.2445) are clear infringements of every New Yorker’s right to bear arms, and as such they should not be tolerated.

The roll that these unfairly maligned and demonized firearms play in crime is statistically negligible. The only thing accomplished by such restrictive legislation is the piecemeal infringement of our Second Amendment rights. If left unchecked, gun control will worsen to the point that the right to bear arms will be a hollow concept, and the individual citizen’s right to personal protection will be negated. Rather than further limiting the types of weapons that responsible, law-abiding citizens have the right to possess; I encourage you to focus your energies on toughening the consequences for those who illegally use firearms in the commission of violent crimes.

By standing in opposition to such draconian legislation as A.03371 & S.2445, you and your party will benefit by gaining the favor of countless New York gun owners who actively support their freedoms. I’m deeply passionate about this issue, and I know many others who take gun control into serious consideration when entering the voting booth. You Sir, stand only to benefit by supporting our right to bear arms.

Thus, I once again implore you to stand in opposition to any and all incarnations of a strengthened or amended “Assault Weapons” ban.  

Thank you for your time, and I would appreciate a reply from you to learn your position on this very important issue.

Regards,

XXXXX

Dear Senator XXXXX,

As an avid hunter and registered voter I want to encourage you to work against the passage of any & all legislation that threatens to amend or strengthening of our state’s so-called “Assault Weapons” ban. These unfairly categorized sporting guns neither cause, nor significantly contribute to violent crime in New York State, and recently introduced legislation aimed at further limiting their ownership (A.03371 & S.2445) serves only to erode & weaken every New Yorker’s God given and Constitutionally enumerated right to bear arms. Any elected official that supports either of these gun control bills will lose my support, and the support of my family and friends across the board.

Please understand that the frustration of New York’s gun owners stems from years of incremental erosion of our personal freedoms. The “Assault Weapons” ban is clearly an infringement of these rights, and as such, it needs to be cast upon the ash heap of history. Any political compromises, back room negotiations, or last minute concessions that result in the strengthening of the ban will be viewed as a rejection of our nation’s founding principals, and as a betrayal of the countless New York sportsmen who work, raise families, pay taxes, and most importantly…vote.

If you truly want to combat violent crime in our state, please support measures that are effective and that do not infringe upon the rights of honest, responsible, law-abiding people. I encourage you to focus your energies on strengthening the penalties for those who illegally use firearms in the commission of violent crimes. Go after the criminals who flout the law, not the citizens who obey it.

Hence, I once again urge you to oppose all efforts to amend or strengthen our state’s “Assault Weapons” ban, and I remind you that any attempt to pass A.03371 & S.2445 will be remembered none too fondly come next Election Day.

Thank you for your time and I look forward to your reply.

XXXXX

Dear Assemblyperson XXXXX,

I am writing this letter to direct your attention to the current move afoot in the State Senate & Assembly to amend and strengthen New York’s so-called "Assault Weapons" ban. I want to urge you in the strongest terms possible to oppose & defeat any and all pieces of legislation that would further infringe upon the gun rights of the law abiding, tax paying, politically active sportsmen of this state.

The usual anti-gun politicians in Albany are calling for a needless amendment of the current ban (in the form of S.2445 & A.03371) that would criminalize the possession of self-loading shotguns (a favorite of hunters), most detachable-magazine self-loading rifles (used by marksmanship competitors), and so called  “pre-ban Assault Weapons” which are currently & legally owned without incident by countless New York gun enthusiasts, hunters, and collectors. Please understand that the unreasonable efforts of these freedom-robbing politicians should not be supported or tolerated in the least.    

I feel compelled to also point out that in every major federal, state, & privately commissioned crime study that has ever been conducted, "Assault Weapons" play a statistically insignificant role in violent crime. The only thing accomplished by such restrictive legislation is the continued erosion of our Second Amendment rights. Rather than further limiting the types of weapons that honest, responsible, law-abiding citizens have the right to possess; I encourage you to focus your sights on toughening the legal consequences for those who use firearms in the commission of violent crimes.

Thus, I urge your vigorous opposition to any legislative effort to strengthen or amend New York State’s "Assault Weapons" ban, as well as to any other measures that effectively deny citizens the right to choose which ever means they deem to be appropriate in protecting themselves and their loved ones.

Thank you for your time, and I would appreciate a reply from you to learn your position on this issue.

Best regards,

XXXXX

Well there you have it… a damn good resource for becoming politically active & involved in the fight aganist New York's freedom hating politicians.  While comprehensive, this post is by no means complete. Feel free to add your own unique sample letters for others to draw ideas & inspiration from.

The choice is clear fellow NY'ers... Sacrifice time, money, and effort NOW, or we just might be sacrificing blood & tears in the future!

"Destiny is not a matter of chance; it is a matter of choice. It is not a thing to be waited for; it is a thing to be achieved."

- William Jennings Bryan (1860 - 1925)

Link Posted: 2/23/2005 10:09:21 AM EDT
[#12]
Contacting Your Legislator

Dr. John Tusch

Based upon my limited experience in public service (“public service” sounds better than “politics”) I have been asked to give a few thoughts one might bear in mind when contacting a legislator. Hopefully, to make this contact a little more effective. Remember, the key word is “contact”. This simply means that we must let our legislator know our thoughts before he votes on an issue.

There are many avenues that we may use to contact, or get in touch with, the legislator. Generally speaking, I feel that the handwritten, signed letter is the best, because it is personal and most effective. They used to figure that two letters of this type expressed the feeling of about 100 people. Why? Because they knew that only one of about 50 people would actually act. The other 49 were busy thinking of excuses for not doing anything.

If your handwriting is lousy, the typed letter is just as good, if you sign it. Some legislators would justify their vote by holding up two stacks of letters. One stack would be letters for an issue, and the other stack against, and supposedly, he voted with the biggest pile.

My second choice is the telephone. It is personal and allows for a dialogue. Even though one rarely gets to talk to the legislator, the office staff often knows as much about an issue as he does, especially on a hot topic. So, express your views, leave your name, address and phone number. Let the legislator write or call back.

E-mails are cold and impersonal. There is no voice to hear, nor signature to see. These are all right for friends and relatives who know you but just a cold piece of paper too many.

Contacting legislators at town hall meetings is good, particularly if there are five or ten like minded people with you. A personal visit to the legislator’s office can be very effective--- time consuming, expensive, but effective. Usually the office visit is used for representatives of large groups and it is usually necessary to have an appointment first. If, when you get there, the secretary says “Oh I’m sorry but the Senator was just called to a special meeting for the rest of the day”, there’s a pretty good chance he’s not in your corner.

Lastly, petitions—the lazy man’s letter. These may be necessary for candidates running for public office, but not very effective in swaying opinions.

Regardless of how one is contacted, it is often very helpful to have the bill numbers in front of you. This is not as necessary on these “hot” issues. They know. Try to pick out two or three salient points that disturb you the most. You don’t need to recite the whole bill, they understand.

Being firm is good, but try to control the temper. Giving him hell, or calling names, or even loud voices can be considered offensive. It may make the constituent feel better, but it won’t get the legislator’s vote. It is better to explain how the bill hurts you and where it is wrong. We get a lot more sympathy for the pain than we do for anger.

Now, for the 49 out of 50 who don’t write or call, memorize the following over-used excuses, but don’t use them, because just about everyone knows that they are a bucketful of pure garden variety fertilizer.

“I forgot” Acceptable only for people 90 years of age or older.

“I didn’t know how to write a good letter” Remember, this is a letter to your legislator, not your English teacher and chances are he wouldn’t notice any mistakes anyhow.

“I just don’t know what to say” Make it simple. Tell who you are, what you do or do not like, and why. Then ask him to support or vote against the bill. How tough is that?

“I’m afraid he might get mad at me” well, he won’t. To get reelected he needs friends more than we do.

“I don’t know who to contact” Generally, we contact our own district assemblyman and senator, first. But,remember, every legislator in the state votes on state laws and these laws affect every citizen of the state. Therefore, it is legitimate to contact any and all legislators, the governor and everyone else who may be instrumental or influential in the passage of a bill.

The last and most essential factor is simply ABC. Always Be Courteous. To not show proper respect is a good way to lose his vote. The above is just some suggestions on procedure while contacting legislators. But, again, the key word is CONTACT, and the key to success is JUST DO IT!

scopeny.org/ARCHIVES/SCOPEnews.pdf
Link Posted: 2/23/2005 10:17:26 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

What just happened??

Seems they want to make handguards on rifles an evil feature if they are not connected to the buttstock and are adding the Bushmaster XM-15 and all like rifles to the definition of assault weapons as well as others.

ETA:  S2445

24. "BARREL SHROUD" MEANS A SHROUD THAT IS ATTACHED TO,  OR  PARTIALLY OR COMPLETELY  ENCIRCLES,  THE  BARREL  OF  A WEAPON SO THAT THE SHROUD PROTECTS THE USER OF THE WEAPON FROM HEAT GENERATED BY THE  BARREL,  BUT DOES  NOT INCLUDE A SLIDE THAT ENCLOSES THE BARREL, AND DOES NOT INCLUDE AN EXTENSION OF THE STOCK ALONG THE BOTTOM OF THE BARREL WHICH DOES  NOT ENCIRCLE OR SUBSTANTIALLY ENCIRCLE THE BARREL.

30.  "PISTOL GRIP" MEANS A GRIP, A THUMBHOLE STOCK, OR ANY OTHER CHARACTERISTIC THAT CAN FUNCTION AS A GRIP.

holy shit thats every fucking gun in existance. I mean you have to get a grip on the gun somewhere........
Link Posted: 2/24/2005 6:07:50 AM EDT
[#14]
Had a phone call back from my state Senator's office-John DeFransisco. He is firmly opposed to anti-gun legislation and will not support it. Anyone else heard back from their representatives?

Edit: My wife tells me I have a message on our A/M to please call my Assemblyman's office to discuss this further. Supposedly Barkley is progun. I'll find out tomorrow for certain.

At least my phone calls are getting some response, and not simply being tabulated. Interesting.

BigB, the central NY officials in my district, both republicans, have responded to my phone calls. NO reply from my email to Bing
Link Posted: 2/24/2005 8:30:59 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Had a phone call back from my state Senator's office-John DeFransisco. He is firmly opposed to anti-gun legislation and will not support it. Anyone else heard back from their representatives?

11 faxes & 11 letters and no response yet.

Stay tuned...
Link Posted: 2/24/2005 1:01:05 PM EDT
[#16]
do you think we will get a response? and do you know of any pro-gun officals in NY?
Link Posted: 2/24/2005 3:18:01 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
do you think we will get a response? and do you know of any pro-gun officals in NY?

The thing that worries me is that Joe Bruno initially opposed the NY AW ban, but then jumped ship at the last minute and assured its passage, under pressure by Pataki, I'd guess. Therefore, the lead pols in this state from either party are no friends to freedom. Period.
Link Posted: 2/25/2005 5:28:42 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
holy shit thats every fucking gun in existance. I mean you have to get a grip on the gun somewhere........

The combination of the two features would ensure the end of legal ownership of virtually all semi-auto rifles in NY with very few exceptions if any.  Most of the traditionally stocked semi-auto rifles that have a detachable mag and can hold more than 5 rounds, such as the mini-14, would be eliminated by name under the new legislation.  I think the mini-14 may already be banned but I am only using it as an example.  They want us limited to around 5 rounds max and internal fixed mags for the most part.
Link Posted: 2/25/2005 8:22:56 AM EDT
[#19]
OK, just got off the phone with my Assemblyman's office for the 2nd time. Assemblyman Barkley strongly supports second amendment rights, and will not support any of this legislation. However, the prognosis of blocking it in the Assembly is weak.

The spokesman agreed when I told him that I expected compliance with such a draconian law would be far from 100%.

Take home message! CALL your Senators! I firmly believe a phone call is going to get their attention much more effectively than email or even a letter.
Link Posted: 2/25/2005 10:09:08 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
OK, just got off the phone with my Assemblyman's office for the 2nd time. Assemblyman Barkley strongly supports second amendment rights, and will not support any of this legislation. However, the prognosis of blocking it in the Assembly is weak.

The spokesman agreed when I told him that I expected compliance with such a draconian law would be far from 100%.

Take home message! CALL your Senators! I firmly believe a phone call is going to get their attention much more effectively than email or even a letter.

Yes our salvation is in the Senate unless Pataki supports these bills.  Then we're farked.
Link Posted: 2/25/2005 10:14:08 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

11 faxes & 11 letters and no response yet.

Stay tuned...

Same here. Sent letters, faxes, and emails and no responses yet.. The phone calls begin Monday as I'm off and can spend all day on the phone....
Link Posted: 2/26/2005 7:47:22 AM EDT
[#22]
The Minority Wip of the Assembly is a former LEO, very PRO-GUN and has actually come up to shoot the CMP Service Rifle Match with us.
Room 448
Albany, NY 12248

MAKE SURE YOU  CALL HIM!!!!!

Dave is one of the GOOD Guys!
Link Posted: 2/27/2005 8:57:58 PM EDT
[#23]
UPDATE: New York Assault Weapons Bill To Be Heard On March 1

Friday, February 25, 2005: A bill that would drastically expand the state's current assault weapons ban by redefining what constitutes an "assault weapon" will be heard in the Assembly Codes Committee on March 1. In addition to expanding the ban, A 2466 would require those who currently own any firearm deemed an "assault weapon" to register it, render it permanently inoperable or turn it in to the police.

Those who choose to register their firearms would be subject to an additional NICS check and would be required to have the firearm tested for entry in to the state's ballistic imaging program. Last week, we reported that Senator Eric Schniederman (D-31) introduced S 2445, which also seeks to expand the assault weapons ban by outlawing many more guns by name and adding specific features to the definition of "assault weapon." Please contact your state Assembly member and Senator today and ask him or her to oppose A 2466 and S 2445!
Link Posted: 2/28/2005 7:56:34 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
The Minority Wip of the Assembly is a former LEO, very PRO-GUN and has actually come up to shoot the CMP Service Rifle Match with us.
Room 448
Albany, NY 12248

MAKE SURE YOU  CALL HIM!!!!!

Dave is one of the GOOD Guys!

I just rang them.  I spoke with a woman by the name of Cathy.  She said these wont see the light of day, but I'm not laying down yet
Link Posted: 2/28/2005 10:44:33 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

I have met Jim Alesi & he told me he opposes gun control.

It would be great if  Alfonse D'Amato would run for governor. He supports our gun rights 100%.
Link Posted: 2/28/2005 3:39:09 PM EDT
[#26]
I touched all bases today - I guess we'll just have to wait and see, now...

- georgestrings
Link Posted: 2/28/2005 4:03:02 PM EDT
[#27]
Does anyone have the link or know where I can find the "report card" on how our elected officials have voted in the past on gun legislation? I have seen this in the past but for the life of me I can't find it.
Link Posted: 2/28/2005 4:21:45 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Does anyone have the link or know where I can find the "report card" on how our elected officials have voted in the past on gun legislation? I have seen this in the past but for the life of me I can't find it.

The New York State Rifle and Pistol Assn website has legislative report cards. They're located along the left side of the page, half way down under 'Political Action.' While you're there don't forget to become a member or donate to our cause....
Link Posted: 2/28/2005 5:03:46 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The New York State Rifle and Pistol Assn website has legislative report cards. They're located along the left side of the page, half way down under 'Political Action.' While you're there don't forget to become a member or donate to our cause....

Chris
Thanks for the link. Greatly appreciated. Also I Just joined  today  

-Chuck
Link Posted: 3/1/2005 4:25:32 PM EDT
[#30]
Hello

I called the Codes Committe This after noon  Mar 1 2005 and was told that  Bill  # A02466 has been Reported to the Floor , Now it goes to the New York State Assembly  for a vote !!!!  

It's going to pass the Assembly too if you don't

CALL YOUR REPS AGAIN AND AGAIN AND AGAIN  AND TELL THEM TO VOTE NO -

eagle20
Link Posted: 3/1/2005 8:41:06 PM EDT
[#31]
We lost round one folks... it's entirely up to YOU whether we win or lose the next one.

Carpe Diem
Link Posted: 3/2/2005 6:13:53 AM EDT
[#32]
Here we go again. when does it go before the New York State Assembly? Then doesn't it have to go to congress or the senate after that?
Link Posted: 3/2/2005 6:48:10 AM EDT
[#33]
It goes to the Assembly second reading calendar and if advanced to the floor calendar for a possible vote or other action. If voted upon and passed it then goes to the Senate where it starts as a new bill.

Keep calling/writing your Assemblyman/Senator and Gov. Pataki.
Link Posted: 3/2/2005 7:37:37 AM EDT
[#34]
Just sent out a bunch of letters
Link Posted: 3/3/2005 6:12:42 AM EDT
[#35]
I recieved responses from Assemblymen Joel Miller and Pat Manning this morning claiming they support my views and will  oppose these bills.
Link Posted: 3/3/2005 7:19:18 AM EDT
[#36]
I haven't heard back from my reps for lower Orange (Assemblywoman Calhoun and Sen. Larkin). Both are rated  "A" by the NYRPA as supporting gun rights. I guess I'll have to call them.

You know, a lot of states are now trying to enact AWB's. This is a case of "Be careful of what you wish for 'cause you might get it." We were all waiting for the day when the federal AWB would sunset. Well, now it has and the states are  trying to enact their own and they are closing the "loopholes".  

Link Posted: 3/3/2005 4:30:22 PM EDT
[#37]
KEEP SENDING LETTERS, KEEP MAKING PHONE CALLS. I'VE GOT PEOPLE WHO DO NOT EVEN OWN A GUN COMING FORWARD AND SIGNING LETTERS AGAINST THESE BULLSHIT BILLS. LET THE THE POLITICIANS KNOW OR RIGHTS AND FREEDOMS ARE NOT GOING TO BE AUCTIONED FOR VOTES! TOO MANY PEOPLE HAVE DIED PROTECTING THE CONSTITUTION. LETS NOT LET THEIR SACRIFICES BE FORGOTTEN, LIKE MANY IGNORANT POLITICIANS DO. LET THEM KNOW THAT WHEN THE NEXT ELECTION YEAR COMES UP, "WE'LL REMEMBER IN NOVEMBER".
Link Posted: 3/3/2005 5:59:55 PM EDT
[#38]
Hey Guys,

I live in Oregon, but I just wanted to give you some support and advice. We have a totally anti-gun BITCH in our state senate and she introduced a whole slew of anti-gun bills including a really nasty Assault Weapons Ban. Well I went down to the Capitol building ( I live in the state capital) and had a talk with my state rep. and state senator. They told me that at first things looked a little bad, but all the legislators where getting so many phone calls from mad pro-gun people, that it looks like the anti-gun bills will die for sure without a vote in both chambers. You guys need to bury the state capital in emails and phone calls. Do it  now and do it often. You can beat these A-holes, but you have got to hit them hard----right now. GOOD LUCK!
Link Posted: 3/3/2005 6:30:48 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
Hey Guys,

I live in Oregon, but I just wanted to give you some support and advice. We have a totally anti-gun BITCH in our state senate and she introduced a whole slew of anti-gun bills including a really nasty Assault Weapons Ban. Well I went down to the Capitol building ( I live in the state capital) and had a talk with my state rep. and state senator. They told me that at first things looked a little bad, but all the legislators where getting so many phone calls from mad pro-gun people, that it looks like the anti-gun bills will die for sure without a vote in both chambers. You guys need to bury the state capital in emails and phone calls. Do it  now and do it often. You can beat these A-holes, but you have got to hit them hard----right now. GOOD LUCK!

Thanks for the advice. We're definitely doing our part. Sadly, we live in a liberal state and, quite possibly, encompass the minority as it pertains to this issue. Our only saving grace is that we are able to mobilize and fight the issues. Unlike our liberal brethren we are willing to write, call and email our reps in support of 2nd amendment issues...Lets hope our Liberal majority keeps up their tradition of laziness and does not write their reps in support of these draconian measures....
Link Posted: 3/3/2005 7:57:48 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
Hey Guys,

Thanks for the support, keep up the good work on the other side of the country and voice your choice!!
Link Posted: 3/4/2005 7:15:54 AM EDT
[#41]
I am shooting off six letters today.

Sennators
Hannon
Fuschillo

Assemblymen
Lavine
saldino
Sweeney
Conte

Bill H.
Link Posted: 3/4/2005 8:26:09 AM EDT
[#42]
I just crossreferenced the 2004 election report card on the NYSRPA site with the current list of state senators and pulled out all Senators rated B and higer on RKBA issues. These are our friends! Please write to them to get their support even if they are not your senator. We have to kill these proposals! Here is the list:

District Senator                   Party Rating
2           John Flanagan R          B
4           Owen Johnson        R         B+
6           Kemp Hannon        R         B
15          Serphin Maltese      R       A
39          William Larkin  R          A
40          Vincent Leibell R          B
41          Stephen Saland       R                A
42          John Bonacic         R          A
43          Joseph Bruno         R          A
45          Elizabeth O'c Little R        B+
47          Raymond Meier       R       A
48          James Wright         R          A
50         John DeFrancisco     R               B
51         James Seward        R         A
52         Thomas Libous       R        A
54         Michael Nozzolio R         A
55         Jim Alesi              R               B+
56         Joseph Robach        R         B+
57         Patricia McGee        R          A
58         William Stachowski   D               A
59         Dale Volker            R             A
61         Mary Lou Rath         R           A
62         George Maziarz        R           A

Whisky19
Link Posted: 3/4/2005 10:32:17 AM EDT
[#43]
Thanks Whisky.

These bills CAN be killed in the Senate.  Keep calling and writing your Senators and everyone should be hammering Gov. Pataki and the Senate Majority Leader Bruno.
Link Posted: 3/5/2005 5:35:22 AM EDT
[#44]
Can someone explain to me what the job of the codes committe is.  Do they debate the bill put before them and vote if it should go to whole body for a vote or do they simply review the bill to see if it is in the correct format.  

Brett
Link Posted: 3/5/2005 6:02:30 AM EDT
[#45]
The codes committee debates the bill as well as having the ability to hold public hearings prior to taking a vote on the bill.  The NY legislature is often criticized because they frequently just take the leadership position on a bill and  ignore or exclude any public input on the bill.  

According to a recent report the NYS Legislature is the most dysfunctional in the U.S.  That's probably an understatement.
Link Posted: 3/5/2005 10:35:57 AM EDT
[#46]
So in that case isn't it illegal to pass the bill if they didn't have the public input?

How the f)(k do they know what the leadership of the people is on the bill? Not the leadership of the A-whipes who made the bill up.

This is a bunch of Bull S&^T and we the Leadership need to put a stop to this. E-Mails, Letters and Phone calls ain't going to do it. If they see faces in their offices maybe then they will understand.
Link Posted: 3/5/2005 5:08:11 PM EDT
[#47]
Current Status:

A02466 Actions:

01/26/2005 referred to codes                                                  
03/01/2005 reported                                                            
03/03/2005 advanced to third reading cal.100                                  
Link Posted: 3/6/2005 1:46:13 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
Current Status:

A02466 Actions:

01/26/2005 referred to codes                                                  
03/01/2005 reported                                                            
03/03/2005 advanced to third reading cal.100                                  

The NRA expects it to be voted on this week.  My psychic powers tell me it will pass handily.
Link Posted: 3/7/2005 9:08:17 AM EDT
[#49]
Session recovenes today at 3pm.  Time for a couple of last minute calls.

Brett
Link Posted: 3/7/2005 10:00:19 AM EDT
[#50]
The ultimate fight will be in the Senate so keep up the calling/letter writing to your Senator, Majority Leader Bruno and Gov. Pataki.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top