Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 12:39:41 PM EDT
[#1]
This bullshit had drug on too long already. First he gets public money for his defense, then after 5 years they still ask for more time to sort through the "mountain of evidence"? Were they hoping more witnesses would die of old age like Lipscomb?

If it was me, I'd already have been in prison 2 years fighting off rapists and been flat broke with attorney costs.

You know there's actually been a little growth in South Dallas since the government has been up his ass.
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 6:01:31 PM EDT
[#2]
I have always thought of him as an unsavory character, but I admit that I do not know much about the case against him.

As a Dallas resident I think it's time he left, regardless of the outcome. I do hope that he gets a fair trial, though.
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 8:10:32 PM EDT
[#3]
It's almost like it's out of a movie

Sick juror delays opening statements in John Wiley Price corruption trial

The start of the trial was delayed Thursday morning because one juror had a "serious health problem" that required hospitalization.

"For those of you who pray, that would be a very good thing for you to do," the judge told the courtroom.

After replacing the sick juror with an alternate, the judge gave the jury instructions and they were sworn in.
View Quote
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 9:10:07 PM EDT
[#4]
I'll call it now-not guilty
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 9:32:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

This +1

He's guilty as hell and everyone knows it...  but he will have paid off the right people or have the right people owe him a favor or whatever...  so he'll get away with it again.  He'll be sucking money out of South Dallas until he is dead and buried.  Probably after that and I'm sure the taxpayers will end up providing a fancy funeral for him too.

Link Posted: 2/24/2017 12:09:29 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

This +1

He's guilty as hell and everyone knows it...  but he will have paid off the right people or have the right people owe him a favor or whatever...  so he'll get away with it again.  He'll be sucking money out of South Dallas until he is dead and buried.  Probably after that and I'm sure the taxpayers will end up providing a fancy funeral for him too.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This +1

He might have a little more trouble influencing a federal case.
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 12:47:36 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote

I agree. Lipscomb, Hill and others didn't fare well in Federal court. Part of the reason that this has taken so long is that the FBI and the USAO are making sure they have all their ducks in a row.
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 12:51:31 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I agree. Lipscomb, Hill and others didn't fare well in Federal court. Part of the reason that this has taken so long is that the FBI and the USAO are making sure they have all their ducks in a row.
View Quote

Feds don't like going to trial unless they are damn near sure of getting a conviction.
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 3:21:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Feds don't like going to trial unless they are damn near sure of getting a conviction.
View Quote

Yep, I spent my last 12 years at the PD working with in an FBI task force. It can be frustrating getting the USAO to take a case but if they do it's almost always a conviction.
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 8:37:40 PM EDT
[#10]
I really hate that motherfucker. May go see part of the trial.
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 12:54:47 PM EDT
[#11]
I read in the paper that Judge Barbara Lynn is presiding over the case, she was the Judge who sentenced Don Hill to 18 years for corruption. I was only in her court one time but she's a pretty no-nonsense judge.

Also, the indictment is 107 pages long and took fours hours to read aloud. It looks like the government has a lot of evidence against Price.
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 11:32:18 PM EDT
[#12]
I have a feeling there will be some high dollar movers and shakers coming out of this with egg on their face.
Either they have been shaken down by him or are in bed with him.
This has the potential to be very, very ugly.
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 12:20:06 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And his conviction was overturned.  I heard stories about this guy when I first moved to Dallas years ago - he was as corrupt as they come and I imagine JWP was on the same page.  Again, that was the same time I learned about JWP - I didn't realize that a sitting county commissioner could also be allowed to be a community organizer, spending tax payers' money protesting & going to jail.

I heard one funny story about old Al.  A local car dealership "loaned" him a Cadillac but he refused to give it back so when they'd come by he would meet them with a shotgun on his porch.
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 1:27:44 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

And his conviction was overturned.  I heard stories about this guy when I first moved to Dallas years ago - he was as corrupt as they come and I imagine JWP was on the same page.  Again, that was the same time I learned about JWP - I didn't realize that a sitting county commissioner could also be allowed to be a community organizer, spending tax payers' money protesting & going to jail.

I heard one funny story about old Al.  A local car dealership "loaned" him a Cadillac but he refused to give it back so when they'd come by he would meet them with a shotgun on his porch.
View Quote

Lipscomb's conviction was overturned because the appeals court thought the trial judge erred by moving the case to another jurisdiction. They didn't overturn it based upon the facts of the case. They ordered a new trial but his health problems precluded a new trial. He was a straight up crook. He was convicted of selling heroin back before he became a politician.

Back in the early 90's both my wife and I worked at Fort Worth PD and things weren't so great. We seriously considered applying to DPD. The pay was better and so was the retirement. I'm so glad we stayed put. Lipscomb, JWP and Diane Ragsdale were the main reasons we didn't move.
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 1:56:27 PM EDT
[#15]
Will Rodgers never met JWP.
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 6:29:36 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Will Rodgers never met JWP.
View Quote

Comments like this are why we need a "like' button.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 12:37:33 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Lipscomb's conviction was overturned because the appeals court thought the trial judge erred by moving the case to another jurisdiction. They didn't overturn it based upon the facts of the case. They ordered a new trial but his health problems precluded a new trial. He was a straight up crook. He was convicted of selling heroin back before he became a politician.

Back in the early 90's both my wife and I worked at Fort Worth PD and things weren't so great. We seriously considered applying to DPD. The pay was better and so was the retirement. I'm so glad we stayed put. Lipscomb, JWP and Diane Ragsdale were the main reasons we didn't move.
View Quote

Dear old Diane and her "constituency".
I heard Mayor Starke Taylor used to tell her and big Al to sit down and shut up when they'd start carrying on during city council meetings but can't say for sure.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 10:32:33 AM EDT
[#18]
What was the deal with Mayor Rawlins giving Neely big bucks to carry the South Dallas vote for him?
Link Posted: 2/28/2017 4:17:17 PM EDT
[#19]
Given the political climate of Dallas County, there will be another shitbag along to fill the vacuum in short order. 
Link Posted: 2/28/2017 4:39:13 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
What was the deal with Mayor Rawlins giving Neely big bucks to carry the South Dallas vote for him?
View Quote
Hmmm. Rawlings is really going after the police and fire pension. Is he caught up in this?
Link Posted: 3/2/2017 9:42:33 AM EDT
[#21]
I'm kinda expecting it to go like this:

The Wire - Clay Davis Takes the Stand
Link Posted: 3/2/2017 5:31:33 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

I figured all this time JWP and his attorneys were wheeling and dealing with the government, trying to get immunity or a reduced sentence.  Like maybe he had dirt on the officials in city and county politics, and Dallas County hierarchy.  The Rawlins thing stinks, but to me the worst of it all was the Dallas Inland Port deal.
Link Posted: 3/2/2017 5:47:49 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote
Hatcher St was renamed Lipscomb in honor of the corrupt piece of shit.
Link Posted: 3/2/2017 7:38:50 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Hatcher St was renamed Lipscomb in honor of the corrupt piece of shit.
View Quote

Glad I'm not the only that wants to rub shit on those street signs.
Link Posted: 3/2/2017 7:46:05 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Glad I'm not the only that wants to rub shit on those street signs.
View Quote
I stand corrected they changed Grand Ave in S Dallas to Al Lipscom Way.  Hatcher was renamed for Elsie Higgins.
Link Posted: 3/3/2017 10:11:55 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
  Hatcher was renamed for Elsie Higgins.
View Quote

Another fine street defined by shootings and robberies.
Link Posted: 3/3/2017 2:14:36 PM EDT
[#27]
Check this BIASED article about how the Feds "jumped the gun" in bringing this to trial....

Poor John

The collaboration between the corrupt government officials and the media that covers for them is why it keeps getting closer to hog-feeding-time.

'nuff said.
Link Posted: 3/4/2017 11:16:19 AM EDT
[#28]
Hell I thought the case got sucked up by the black hole.
Link Posted: 3/4/2017 11:37:19 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote

I see what you did there...
Link Posted: 3/4/2017 12:01:56 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote

We needed more time to launder more public defense money through the attorney.
Link Posted: 3/5/2017 3:01:37 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I'm kinda expecting it to go like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bAQv6KTfQow
View Quote

I think of the same scene every time I hear about the JWP trial.
Link Posted: 3/6/2017 11:26:39 AM EDT
[#32]
Seems Fox in Dallas reported this morning that all the money they tracked to Price was only "repayment for personal loans."  
Link Posted: 3/6/2017 11:56:31 AM EDT
[#33]
I don't see any comments from our ARFCOM lawyer peeps.

Is there a Vegas bet available on this trial? I can't find one in my one minute Google search.
Link Posted: 3/6/2017 1:33:07 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Seems Fox in Dallas reported this morning that all the money they tracked to Price was only "repayment for personal loans."  
View Quote

And it was all reported to the IRS, right?
Link Posted: 3/10/2017 2:56:08 AM EDT
[#35]
I learned from jwp you need to keep your $100,000 in your freezer because it will burn a hole in your pocket.
Link Posted: 3/10/2017 1:47:35 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Check this BIASED article about how the Feds "jumped the gun" in bringing this to trial....

Poor John

The collaboration between the corrupt government officials and the media that covers for them is why it keeps getting closer to hog-feeding-time.

'nuff said.
View Quote

There's not a damn thing BIASED in that article.
Defense attorney:  “In fairness, isn’t that kind of jumping the gun?”  
The witness (an FBI investigator)   “Yes,”
Link Posted: 3/10/2017 1:58:04 PM EDT
[#37]
I look forward to hearing about his conviction.
Link Posted: 3/10/2017 4:05:59 PM EDT
[#38]
My wife got a Dallas Co. jury summons last night. I was like "damn, you just missed being a juror on the JWP trial!"

She was not amused.
Link Posted: 3/10/2017 4:19:32 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
My wife got a Dallas Co. jury summons last night. I was like "damn, you just missed being a juror on the JWP trial!"

She was not amused.
View Quote
Price is being tried in Federal court. No why in hell would he ever face justice in Dallas County-Price IS Dallas County.
Link Posted: 3/10/2017 4:27:35 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Price is being tried in Federal court. No why in hell would he ever face justice in Dallas County-Price IS Dallas County.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

She was not amused.

how large an area do federal courts get the jury pool from?
Link Posted: 3/10/2017 4:42:47 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

how large an area do federal courts get the jury pool from?
View Quote
From the entire federal district the court represents. No doubt several counties
Link Posted: 3/11/2017 1:05:56 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
From the entire federal district the court represents. No doubt several counties
View Quote

The jury pool does come from several counties but it isn't taken from the entire district...it's just too big. The Northern District of Texas covers about a quarter of the state area-wise (around 90 counties) and it's divided into 7 divisions. So Dallas Division includes Dallas, Kaufman, Rockwall, Hunt, Navarro, Ellis and Johnson.
Link Posted: 3/11/2017 1:15:25 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Poor John

'nuff said.

The question about "jumping the gun" wasn't in reference to bringing it to trial. It only referred to the Agent remarking that he had already decided to indict JWP even before the investigation was complete. The reporting was accurate, in my opinion. The question was an attempt by the defense to paint the prosecution in a bad light. The defense is trying to convince the jury that the prosecution decided to indict JWP first and then made the evidence fit their theory. I think that the literal mountain of evidence they have against the guy will prevail.
Link Posted: 3/11/2017 10:51:10 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

The jury pool does come from several counties but it isn't taken from the entire district...it's just too big. The Northern District of Texas covers about a quarter of the state area-wise (around 90 counties) and it's divided into 7 divisions. So Dallas Division includes Dallas, Kaufman, Rockwall, Hunt, Navarro, Ellis and Johnson.
View Quote
that makes sense. I didn't realize the federal districts were so big.
Link Posted: 3/11/2017 8:07:10 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
that makes sense. I didn't realize the federal districts were so big.
View Quote

Texas has 254 counties if I recall correctly. There are 4 Federal Judicial districts in Texas. Most states have around 2-3 districts, some only one.
Link Posted: 4/5/2017 1:30:58 PM EDT
[#46]
He's probably gonna walk now. The prosecutors didn't give his counsel access to all of their evidence. There may be a mistrial coming. Hopefully, the IRS stuff will stick.

http://dfw.cbslocal.com/2017/04/04/major-mistakes-made-in-commissioner-price-corruption-case/#.WORa8O39QBY.facebook
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 11:38:16 AM EDT
[#47]
If they can get JWP to blow up on the stand that would be the best thing that could happen for this case.
http://www.wbap.com/2017/04/12/government-rests-case-defense-now-up-in-price-corruption-trial/
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 11:46:06 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

If they can get JWP to blow up on the stand that would be the best thing that could happen for this case...
View Quote
Yeah, that's not gonna happen because Price would be a fool to take the stand when he's not required to do so. He may be a scumbag crook but he's not stupid.
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 9:13:08 AM EDT
[#49]
That asshole needed a rope a very long time ago.
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 6:11:20 PM EDT
[#50]
The defense rests...without Price taking the stand. 
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top