Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/18/2016 12:55:42 PM EDT
Still pondering where to move when I leave Austin.  Decided to do a little research to find the most conservative city or town in Texas.  
The cities with the highest percentage of voters who voted republican in 2012 were crowned the most conservative cities in the state, in order:

Perryton
   Pampa
   Borger
   Seminole
   Brownwood
   Graham
   Breckenridge
   Bowie
   Childress
   Canyon

If you’re wondering, Lago Vista is the most liberal city in Texas of all those measured.

Seem right to you?  (small pun intended)

link to story

Link Posted: 10/18/2016 1:39:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Having spent extended time working around Graham, Breckenridge and Bowie, I can tell you that there's not much there. None of them have much outdoor recreation potential or job potential. In fact they're fairly depressed little towns.

Link Posted: 10/18/2016 2:10:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Having spent extended time working around Graham, Breckenridge and Bowie, I can tell you that there's not much there. None of them have much outdoor recreation potential or job potential. In fact they're fairly depressed little towns.

View Quote

Same when you get past Brownwood, there ain't much of anything out there, but no one will screw with you if you can find a way to make a living.
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 2:45:32 PM EDT
[#3]
I've noticed they are almost all in far west Texas.  Too bad Fredericksburg ain't on the list...
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 3:33:58 PM EDT
[#4]
No question on that list. Canyon Texas. Randall County has given the Republican nominee for President no less than 74% of their vote since 1952. One of the most conservative counties in the entire US.
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 3:34:51 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm surprised Lubbock is not on there.
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 5:47:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I'm surprised Lubbock is not on there.
View Quote

Was thinking the same thing. Plenty of the towns around Lubbock though.
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 9:23:22 PM EDT
[#7]
I would not live in Borger for any reason. Haven't been to Pampa in years, but it is kinda dirty from what I remember. Childress can be dusty. Perryton is small. I don't know if they have a Walmart even. Canyon is about 10 miles soth of me, also small, college town.

You'll be in the center of most in Amarillo, Randall county part of the city.

The weather will be similar for all of them. Hot and dryand windy, or cold and  windy with possible accumulations of snow. It' October and the temps were in the 90's yesterday with wind, 70's today and very nice.

Seriously, Borger is an ugly, smelly town.

Edit for some spelling.
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 6:27:45 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

I've noticed they are almost all in far west Texas.  Too bad Fredericksburg ain't on the list...
View Quote
True but 40 through 43 is one cluster south of Fort Worth.

Link Posted: 10/19/2016 7:08:41 AM EDT
[#9]
Lago Vista.....mucho dinero in that area.

Why is it that the most wealthy are the most liberal?

You would think that they grasp the concept of reward for hard work. I just dont understand it, it is completely backwards of all logic.

You would think the more poor an area is, the more they would want freebees, the more they make, the less they want to give away hard earned $.
None of this makes any sort of sense.

Link Posted: 10/19/2016 7:27:49 AM EDT
[#10]
I'd cross Breckenridge off your list.

Abilene here, so B'wood or Graham on your list.  
If you are a summer lake kinda guy, both have good lakes (Possum kingdom at Graham)

Plenty of hunting both places too.  

Not much to do if you don't like the outdoors.  
Or Walmart.
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 7:45:07 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Still pondering where to move when I leave Austin.  Decided to do a little research to find the most conservative city or town in Texas.  

The cities with the highest percentage of voters who voted republican in 2012 were crowned the most conservative cities in the state, in order:

Perryton

Pampa

Borger

Seminole

Brownwood

Graham

Breckenridge

Bowie

Childress

Canyon

If you’re wondering, Lago Vista is the most liberal city in Texas of all those measured.

link to story
View Quote

I'm planning my exit from TX in the next 15 years.  I believe TX will be a democrat controlled state in that time period.  I hope I'm wrong, and I can stay, but I wont live in a gun ban state.

Link Posted: 10/19/2016 1:16:10 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

Growth of the Wine industry and all the vineyards there probably brought in a lot of liberals.
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 6:48:43 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I'm planning my exit from TX in the next 15 years.  I believe TX will be a democrat controlled state in that time period.  I hope I'm wrong, and I can stay, but I wont live in a gun ban state.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Perryton
   Pampa
   Borger
   Seminole
   Brownwood
   Graham
   Breckenridge
   Bowie
   Childress
   Canyon

link to story

I agree with you.  Where do you think would be a more free state when Tx flips? Serious question.  I am at a loss on where this place may be.  
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 7:35:02 PM EDT
[#14]
Arizona I hope.

EDIT replying to TxRed

Link Posted: 10/19/2016 7:35:44 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote

Where do you plan on going?

You realize Texas is more Republican (based on 2012 elections) than any other time in history, so that would an incredible flip in less than 15 years.
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 7:37:13 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

Guilt and the ego to want to change the world.
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 7:51:35 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

You realize Texas is more Republican (based on 2012 elections) than any other time in history, so that would an incredible flip in less than 15 years.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well I think some might be surprised with how many votes cankles will get in Texas this time.
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 7:57:06 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Well I think some might be surprised with how many votes cankles will get in Texas this time.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That hardly equates to a Democrat controlled state. 2016 will be a footnote with an asterisk and ignored as to future guidance.
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 9:01:51 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

That hardly equates to a Democrat controlled state. 2016 will be a footnote with an asterisk and ignored as to future guidance.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

A footnote saying how the republicans could have won very easy but decided to let the sand in their ass hurt to much and screwed it up.  As to not thinking the state can go blue is a dangerous thing as too many people are assuming Texas will always be red.  We have to many people in this state now that believe people like cankles and don't understand they are being made fun off by the democrats and used to gain power.
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 9:18:18 PM EDT
[#20]
I live in Childress. it is awesome, conservative, etc. it's like going back 30 years in time.
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 10:01:36 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

F-burg and the entire hill country is not on the list for one reason.  Out of state retirees.
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 11:23:36 PM EDT
[#22]
Pampa, Borger, and Canyon were all in my district when I grew up and played sports.  I would not want to live in any of the three I mean who wants to be a Harvester, Bulldog, or an Eagle come up with something original like a Demon for your H.S. mascot.
I have had family friends in Graham/Throckmorton (they run a bank) and Breckenridge since I was born.  Both places I think of fondly for various reasons.
I have only driven through Childress, just watch out for the law in Estelinne they will get you every time for speeding.
Seminole and Brownwood are not my cup of tea, I have aunts that live in both.
I have never been to Bowie, got nothing to add.
Perryton, this holds a special place in my heart as well as Edmonson (not listed).  My maternal grandparents are  buried in Perryton and fraternal in Edmonson.  
If I had a choice I would move to Perryton, lots of good folks in that area and they have a place that makes some really nice 1911's.
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 11:33:20 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Pampa, Borger, and Canyon were all in my district when I grew up and played sports.  I would not want to live in any of the three I mean who wants to be a Harvester, Bulldog, or an Eagle come up with something original like a Demon for your H.S. mascot.
I have had family friends in Graham/Throckmorton (they run a bank) and Breckenridge since I was born.  Both places I think of fondly for various reasons.
I have only driven through Childress, just watch out for the law in Estelinne they will get you every time for speeding.
Perryton, this holds a special place in my heart as well as Edmonson (not listed).  My maternal grandparents are  buried in Perryton and fraternal in Edmonson.  
If I had a choice I would move to Perryton, lots of good folks in that area and they have a place that makes some really nice 1911's.
View Quote

Do they still have the billboard up in Estelinne about the speed trap ?  Wait it's not really about revenue generation its about safety or so we are told
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 11:47:10 PM EDT
[#24]
I haven't been that way since 2001 the day I left for college and had to go to Dallas to see my niece that was born that day, so I cant say.
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 12:29:35 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote

Personal injury and class action lawyers are some of the biggest contributors to Dem candidates.

For them, it's all about keeping the cash cow alive, by fending off tort reform.
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 3:52:06 AM EDT
[#26]
Perryton, Pampa, and Borger are crap holes.  Perryton is especially a shitty place to live.  At least they finally voted out the dry county BS.  The nearest walmart is in Liberal, KS(45 miles.  The other closest walmarts are in Borger and Pampa(60 miles).  Everyone from the city council, county commissioners, DA, and Judges are corrupt.  If you couldn't tell before, I wouldn't mind if the whole town burned down.
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 9:02:10 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I live in Childress. it is awesome, conservative, etc. it's like going back 30 years in time.
View Quote

Thank you!  Good to know.
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 9:28:46 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Perryton, Pampa, and Borger are crap holes.  Perryton is especially a shitty place to live.  At least they finally voted out the dry county BS.  The nearest walmart is in Liberal, KS(45 miles.  The other closest walmarts are in Borger and Pampa(60 miles).  Everyone from the city council, county commissioners, DA, and Judges are corrupt.  If you couldn't tell before, I wouldn't mind if the whole town burned down.
View Quote

Concur with most of that.
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 9:29:41 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Personal injury and class action lawyers are some of the biggest contributors to Dem candidates.

For them, it's all about keeping the cash cow alive, by fending off tort reform.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Uh....we've had Tort Reform that was "the model for the nation" since 2004......So, I'm not sure what you are talking about....
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 9:31:30 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Do they still have the billboard up in Estelinne about the speed trap ?  Wait it's not really about revenue generation its about safety or so we are told
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well, someone burned the police station to the ground one night- chucked a molotov through a window- and that kinda slowed them up a bit. I think they got the message. Still not a place to fuck around but not as bad as a few years ago.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top