Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/23/2015 12:44:34 PM EDT
I was calling about a pistol I purchased online and the lady on the phone said they are closed today.  I asked why because they're supposed to be closed Wednesday for Thanksgiving and she said they were broken into last night can anyone in Austin confirm this ?
Link Posted: 11/23/2015 1:01:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Saw this on their FB
Link Posted: 11/23/2015 3:03:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I was calling about a pistol I purchased online and the lady on the phone said they are closed today.  I asked why because they're supposed to be closed Wednesday for Thanksgiving and she said they were broken into last night can anyone in Austin confirm this ?
View Quote

Crap...  That's only a couple blocks from where I work...  It is pretty industrial right around here but only a few blocks away the other direction are apartment buildings and some duplexes and crappy older houses that are all kinda dodgy.

I hope they got some good surveillance and APD actually makes an effort to investigate this.
Link Posted: 11/23/2015 4:03:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
View Quote

You'd believe some random AR15er than an actual employee of the store?

Link Posted: 11/23/2015 4:26:05 PM EDT
[#4]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Maybe I should have asked if anyone knew anything.

I was driving when I posted it..
Link Posted: 11/23/2015 10:18:59 PM EDT
[#5]
From my source, 16 guns taken, 6 individuals involved, silent alarm never went off, and were driving a stolen vehicle.
Link Posted: 11/23/2015 11:09:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 11/24/2015 12:18:47 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Sometimes, I wonder why they don't put all the firearms in the safe?  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
From my source, 16 guns taken, 6 individuals involved, silent alarm never went off, and were driving a stolen vehicle.

Because they couldn't file insurance claims on inside jobs.

Or ain't nobody got time fo dat.
Link Posted: 11/24/2015 6:39:01 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

How big of a safe would a place need for what's likely several hundred guns? How much would the labor cost be to put guns in a safe and bring them back out everyday, compared to the cost of insurance claim IF the guns are ever stolen?
Link Posted: 11/24/2015 7:17:38 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
How big of a safe would a place need for what's likely several hundred guns? How much would the labor cost be to put guns in a safe and bring them back out everyday, compared to the cost of insurance claim IF the guns are ever stolen?

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

And guns get beat up just being moved from the safe to the showcase, and then they get lost too..
Link Posted: 11/24/2015 9:54:15 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

And guns get beat up just being moved from the safe to the showcase, and then they get lost too..
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The old building was just a giant 'safe'.  Huge steel door, no windows, vetting process before you went in....

I heard angels singing when I finally stepped thru those hallowed doors
Link Posted: 11/24/2015 11:47:19 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

Interdasting.

My alarm records entry/exit by individual.  Alarm is connected to monitoring by battery backed cell modem.
Link Posted: 11/24/2015 12:19:29 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Interdasting.

My alarm records entry/exit by individual.  Alarm is connected to monitoring by battery backed cell modem.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Interdasting.

I'm not saying it's the case here but you would be surprised at how many big time businesses have crappy alarm systems, non-functioning cameras and one access code for every employee. Even it's a good system, often no one is checking on it to see if it's working properly. If the the burglars knew where the alarm line came into they building they could have just cut it. Many businesses don't have cell backup's installed. I investigated a bank burglary where over $100,000 was taken and the bank had a very simple alarm with no backup system. The burglars cut the front door lock, entered and tore the alarm junction box from the wall and went to work on the safe.....all in the dark.
Link Posted: 11/24/2015 12:21:42 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Interdasting.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Interdasting.

Same deal when I worked in the pawn business. The entire building was built to make it a bitch to get into. If you were gonna drive a car into the building, you were gonna need a cement mixer truck, because we had so many huge concrete barriers around the building, forget hitting it with a pickup truck. 12 locks, 4 doors to get in and out of the only entrance. Alarm system, motion sensors from hell, backup alarms, cellular modems. People would still figure out various schemes to cut through walls, but once they finally got inside, the alarm system went nuts and if the cops didn't get there within a few minutes, the owner lived 5 minutes away and he would show up with a shotgun, usually beating the police there.

That said, we put the jewelry and the higher end handguns up at night. The nicer rifles and shotguns were cable locked in place. The lower end stuff was left on the shelf/showcases, because if you actually got in, you weren't gonna to have more than a minute or two at most before you had to haul ass. The theory was you'd grab the cheap shit and run.

I figured a place like GT would be setup the same way.

No one ever successfully ever got in the pawnshop at night and took anything. They did resort to daytime robbery and eventually killed/executed my old boss. Thugs gotta do thug shit.
Link Posted: 11/24/2015 12:47:46 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 11/24/2015 1:22:05 PM EDT
[#15]
Without going into details, the alarm went off upon entry. The call from security to both APD and me occurred while the burglars were still in the building. Internal security measures worked to secure over 99.9% of firearms in the facility. They were able to access a small number that were in an office. We are working with APD & BATFE to recover the firearms and bring the thieves to justice.

Jim Orr
President
G T Distributors
Link Posted: 11/24/2015 1:27:40 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Without going into details, the alarm went off upon entry. The call from security to both APD and me occurred while the burglars were still in the building. Internal security measures worked to secure over 99.9% of firearms in the facility. They were able to access a small number that were in an office. We are working with APD & BATFE to recover the firearms and bring the thieves to justice.

Jim Orr
President
G T Distributors
View Quote

Good to hear.

Link Posted: 11/24/2015 1:33:49 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Jim Orr

President

G T Distributors
View Quote

Good to hear.  I'm a regular customer at the Dallas location.  I hope you guys get everything back and, most importantly, that the scumbags are caught.

Good luck.

I guess it could have been worse... like the crazy shit that happened at Mister Guns in Plano a couple months ago.
Link Posted: 11/24/2015 2:08:56 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Jim Orr
President
G T Distributors
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/24/2015 4:25:13 PM EDT
[#19]
Thanks for being a customer! Remember we are closed on Black Friday to allow our staff to enjoy their family time. We close Wens - Sun. and reopen Monday morning.

Quoted:

Good to hear.  I'm a regular customer at the Dallas location.  I hope you guys get everything back and, most importantly, that the scumbags are caught.

Good luck.

I guess it could have been worse... like the crazy shit that happened at Mister Guns in Plano a couple months ago.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Jim Orr
President
G T Distributors

Good luck.

Link Posted: 11/24/2015 4:51:54 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Jim Orr
President
G T Distributors
View Quote

I saw the headline, and thought it was a deer again!
Link Posted: 11/24/2015 5:02:55 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Jim Orr
President
G T Distributors
View Quote

Sorry to hear about it. I saw the broken showcases when I made my usual weekly visit this afternoon. I hate thieves, have had two home burglaries.

I'll be back to spend more money next week.

Link Posted: 11/24/2015 5:05:58 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Jim Orr
President
G T Distributors
View Quote

I hope they are caught ASAP and punished to the full extent of the law.  Too bad they can't be given the death penalty for this.  Thieves are the worst.
Link Posted: 11/24/2015 5:40:30 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Thanks for being a customer! Remember we are closed on Black Friday to allow our staff to enjoy their family time. We close Wens - Sun. and reopen Monday morning.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Jim Orr

President

G T Distributors

Good luck.

Buddy I am sorry this happened to you guys..

The reason I called is I won an auction on gun broker that you were sailing. And wanted to get someothers transfered in too.

Hope your insurance takes care of you..
Link Posted: 11/24/2015 8:10:55 PM EDT
[#24]
That sucks. My only favorite place in Austin . Hope they catch the bastards.
Link Posted: 11/24/2015 9:12:32 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Jim Orr

President

G T Distributors
View Quote

Folks shouldn't make assumptions about what happens when the doors close on a business such as yours.  Glad you guys take appropriate steps to secure things, which is what I would have assumed, whatever it is.  Posting details online wouldnt be too smart.

I drive from San Antonio to buy firearms at your business because the locals here are terrible to deal with.  When I go to GT Austin, It's IN STOCK and I can walk out the door with my new toys.  Last time was a G43 and G42.  Here I would have had to wait two months and been to two separate stores.

Link Posted: 11/24/2015 11:12:31 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

No one ever successfully ever got in the pawnshop at night and took anything. They did resort to daytime robbery and eventually killed/executed my old boss. Thugs gotta do thug shit.
View Quote

Ouch.
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 12:05:28 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Ouch.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ouch.

http://dfw.cbslocal.com/2014/01/24/family-feels-new-pain-from-cold-case-murder-arrest/

Dude was found guilty and got a life sentence. I still don't believe it was a one man job. Shot in the chest then they stood over him and shot him in the face.

Stay paranoid.
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 12:09:20 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

http://dfw.cbslocal.com/2014/01/24/family-feels-new-pain-from-cold-case-murder-arrest/

Dude was found guilty and got a life sentence. I still don't believe it was a one man job. Shot in the chest then they stood over him and shot him in the face.

Stay paranoid.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ouch.

Stay paranoid.

I worked midnight to 8 in a 7-11 as a kid. I'm familiar with the pawn shop clientele. I wouldn't do it today.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 5:24:09 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

The reason I called is I won an auction on gun broker that you were sailing. And wanted to get someothers transfered in too.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Jim Orr
President
G T Distributors

Good luck.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top