Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/30/2015 1:33:31 PM EDT
For those that will be using open carry what firearm and holster combo will you be going with?

Both bills (Senate/House) are still being hashed out in the legislature but it looks positive to pass and Abbott has said he will sign it when it comes across his desk.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 1:41:16 PM EDT
[#1]
I am likely going to purchase a full size 9mm, red dot, and light. Honestly haven't decided what firearm yet. As far as holster I will likely go with an OWB gcode. Will essentially just be a less concealed... concealed carry.

Gotta love a 'legitimate' reason to feed the wife for buying a new gun!
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 1:46:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
For those that will be using open carry what firearm and holster combo will you be going with?

Both bills (Senate/House) are still being hashed out in the legislature but it looks positive to pass and Abbott has said he will sign it when it comes across his desk.
View Quote

In the rare occasions when I'd want to open carry I suspect my choice would be something like my Colt Anaconda...  Because if I'm gonna open carry, it would be because I had some reason I wanted everyone to know I was...  and the Anaconda is a big chunk of stainless beauty....   More practical choices would be 1911 or Glock 22.

However, I don't foresee exercising OC myself very often.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 1:51:35 PM EDT
[#3]
I will not OC..... I don't want to be a target
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 2:15:43 PM EDT
[#4]
CA Scorpion Evo 3.....just waiting on my holster to come in......LOL

If I do decide to OC, it will be my G22 or 23, HK P30, or maybe a 1911.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 3:04:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

A target for what?  Criminals?  You think they are going to draw down on you rather than just decide not to do anything?  Or for harassment by LEOs?  Seems like neither are much of an issue in the 31 other states that allow it...  I would suspect a few curmudgeonly LEOs will be grouchy about OC for a while, but eventually they'll get over it.

As I've said, I would suspect I would only OC very rarely if ever, but I'd never say never.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 3:07:45 PM EDT
[#6]
I'll just be happy that I can finally carry without treating it like my dick i.e. making absolutely certain that no part of it is showing at any time, no matter what I'm wearing or how I'm sitting.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 3:11:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Well most of the time I will be concealed but if I open carry(gassing up the car, quick trip in to a conveince store) It will be what I normally carry.... a Cocked and locked sig 1911.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 3:18:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

A target for what?  Criminals?  You think they are going to draw down on you rather than just decide not to do anything?  Or for harassment by LEOs?  Seems like neither are much of an issue in the 31 other states that allow it...  I would suspect a few curmudgeonly LEOs will be grouchy about OC for a while, but eventually they'll get over it.

As I've said, I would suspect I would only OC very rarely if ever, but I'd never say never.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If a uniformed police officer sitting in his/her cruiser working on paperwork or working an extra job gets ambushed and is killed or very seriously injured....  I don't think a bad guy would think twice about a citizen.  Just my $0.02
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 3:25:25 PM EDT
[#9]
Same as my CC  G19
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 3:46:39 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 3:56:06 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I'm thinking about carry my MP5K.  Trying to find a holster for it.
View Quote

I think you would be safe lol
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 3:58:36 PM EDT
[#12]
Barret M82A1 with 3 extra clips, I'll be straight up gangsta
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 4:17:16 PM EDT
[#13]
Coworker is already having a really fancy leather holster made for his Super Red Hawk which he plans on open carrying. If he ever runs into a water buffalo or crazy grizzly bear, he will be ready. I asked him if he could sit down wearing it or get in and out of his car. That brought forth a pondering look.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 4:47:38 PM EDT
[#14]
Glock 26 with a level 2 paddle holster.

I also like to think that CC will shortly be "comfortable carry".
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 4:59:00 PM EDT
[#15]
I'm going to stick my Python in one of these
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 5:01:12 PM EDT
[#16]

Awfully tempted to get a Vaquero and order something from EP Saddlery, but I'll probably just continue to CC...
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 5:04:52 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Awfully tempted to get a Vaquero and order something from EP Saddlery, but I'll probably just continue to CC...
View Quote

While nothing says Texas more than the Colt SAA in a fancy holster,

I think if I did Open Carry, I'd go more 1911

BIGGER_HAMMER
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 5:10:56 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

http://marstongunleather.com/images/The-Wild-Bunch.png

BIGGER_HAMMER
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

BIGGER_HAMMER

I'd go more 1911 if I could get my significant other to give back my !#$$!@#!@#$ Norinco.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 5:19:25 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

BIGGER_HAMMER
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

BIGGER_HAMMER

Most folks would probably assume you're an off-duty Ranger.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 5:21:32 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

If a uniformed police officer sitting in his/her cruiser working on paperwork or working an extra job gets ambushed and is killed or very seriously injured....  I don't think a bad guy would think twice about a citizen.  Just my $0.02
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

How often does that really happen though...  Is it more than statistical noise?  If someone is itching to off someone like that, do you think you'd have to be open carrying for them to target you?  You can't live your life trying to worry about every random far fetched possibility, it will drive you crazy.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 5:36:28 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

How often does that really happen though...  Is it more than statistical noise?  If someone is itching to off someone like that, do you think you'd have to be open carrying for them to target you?  You can't live your life trying to worry about every random far fetched possibility, it will drive you crazy.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't live my life that way.  Like poker, I don't care to tip my cards after they're dealt to me.  I prefer the element of surprise.  

I don't like playing "what if" game, but like case BH posted about good guy killing bad guy trying to rob him.  What if good guy was open carrying?  He wasn't maintaining situational awareness, and bad guy had drop on him.  What if good guy was open carrying?  Bad guy probably would have killed him instead of vice versa.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 5:54:33 PM EDT
[#22]
I already have OC holsters for my CZ P07 and 1911.

I'll still wear long shirts like I always do but wont look like I'm trying to smuggle something when I bend over or squat down at the store.

I predict lots of panty wetters in Texas will be crying for the first 2-3 months while everyone gets the hog leg carry out of their system before 99% transition to comfort carry.

Made it 25 years in PA with their "almost" constitutional carry including personally open carrying pretty much everywhere when I was younger (of legal age to OC though). Still alive, so I guess I beat the made-up odds people are crying about.

In the end it isn't about whats safest or most effective, it's about everyone's individual choice to exercise their second amendment right how the fricken' please.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 6:33:43 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

Sounds like a good candidate for Mexican carry.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 6:56:08 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lol
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 6:59:59 PM EDT
[#25]
Glock 17L or CZ P-09
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 7:00:32 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I don't live my life that way.  Like poker, I don't care to tip my cards after they're dealt to me.  I prefer the element of surprise.  

I don't like playing "what if" game, but like case BH posted about good guy killing bad guy trying to rob him.  What if good guy was open carrying?  He wasn't maintaining situational awareness, and bad guy had drop on him.  What if good guy was open carrying?  Bad guy probably would have killed him instead of vice versa.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

So LE shouldn't OC?
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 7:05:51 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
So LE shouldn't OC?
View Quote

Is that a serious question?
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 7:19:56 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
So LE shouldn't OC?

Not really but thinking that a person OCing will be targeted like LE is reaching - kinda on the same footing as saying fast food workers are going to start spitting in OCers' food.  (Face it, certain people HATE LE but everybody loves FF - why is that?)  We're not going to have mass shooting on the streets with OC, just like we didn't all kill each other when CHL was passed.

All gun laws should be applied equally to LE/nonLE so OC is a start, then carrying in bars, and finally revising NFA.

Link Posted: 4/30/2015 7:40:25 PM EDT
[#29]
CZ P01

How am I going to get a drum fed draco into a holster
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 7:40:25 PM EDT
[#30]
edit: double tap
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 8:02:40 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote

Got me a good chuckle from this one. Just out of curiosity will AOW's like the Serbu super shorty be considered legit open carry guns?  I'm almost giddy thinking of how fun the freak show is going to be. When it starts somebody should start a pic thread of all the mall ninja special agent orange guys pea cocking around. Kinda like the people of Walmart thing.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 8:07:29 PM EDT
[#32]
I'm sick of my pants getting tighter when I leave 30.06 areas...

Short term, a S&W M&P9c in a Safariland ALS belt holster. Long term, probably a S&W M&P 9 fullsize in a Safariland ALS belt holster.

I've got a fullsize already, with the same sights and trigger setup as my carry gun (MA trigger with APEX DCAEK), just need to pick up some more fullsize mags.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 9:11:53 PM EDT
[#33]
Alessi Bodyguard shoulder holster with a Glock 32.

Link Posted: 4/30/2015 10:23:43 PM EDT
[#34]
I prefer the element of surprise.

That being said, I won't care if the tip of the barrel shows below the bottom of my Hawaiian shirt, nor will I care if accidently expose my carry piece. I doubt I will carry openly unless I am at an event in which we all are...Don't see the need
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 9:37:36 AM EDT
[#35]
Hard Chrome/Salt and Pepper STI Edge with a Big TEXAS engraving on the side!!!!!

Link Posted: 5/1/2015 9:48:32 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/1/2015 10:58:13 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not to mention there is no law saying he can't open carry a long gun like that right now...  
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 10:59:21 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Hard Chrome/Salt and Pepper STI Edge with a Big TEXAS engraving on the side!!!!!

http://i1178.photobucket.com/albums/x377/jmitchell135/tools/IMG_2627_zpsokj5v4t4.jpg
View Quote

My OCD would probably make me sort those reloads by headstamp...
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 11:12:41 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote

"gangstas" would say clips
and you can OC that now...
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 11:19:01 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i1178.photobucket.com/albums/x377/jmitchell135/tools/IMG_2627_zpsokj5v4t4.jpg

After 100,000 rounds or so you get over it.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 11:51:42 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote

In before some fanatic comes and tells you what a bad idea using reloads for self defense would be by linking Ayoob quotes and excerpts. lol
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 12:10:53 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

In before some fanatic comes and tells you what a bad idea using reloads for self defense would be by linking Ayoob quotes and excerpts. lol
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

She'll shoot factory ammo too.

I'm not really going to OC it. I was being facetious....
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 12:26:20 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I know, but so many arm chair lawyers out their read these "what if" internet excerpts and much like crossfit folks will come and tell you about them.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 1:42:21 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've probably reloaded that many over the years...  OCD is still in place...  

Actually I tend to sort brass before reloading as soon as it comes out of the tumbler...
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 3:36:44 PM EDT
[#45]
So where do AR-15 pistols fit into this? Illegal to carry because they aren't in shoulder or belt holster? Not a rifle, so can't carry under current laws?
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 4:05:56 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm thinking some people's sarcasm meter is turned down low.  As to the clip thing here something to wrap your head around, in 1910 when the father of modern fire arms went to put on a patent on the model to be known as the model of 1911 he said it would hold a 7 round clip which was in fact what most of us call a magazine.  So while clip does sound stupid when referring to a magazine it could still be technically correct as even Mr. Browning referred to it as a clip!  Similar story with suppressors.  Maxime called them silencers and he invented them!
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 5:36:35 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

I know, but so many arm chair lawyers out their read these "what if" internet excerpts and much like crossfit folks will come and tell you about them.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I wouldn't use reloads for self defense.... I have the worlds worst luck at getting bad primers
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 6:41:01 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

So where do AR-15 pistols fit into this? Illegal to carry because they aren't in shoulder or belt holster? Not a rifle, so can't carry under current laws?
View Quote

Since they're classified as a "handgun", you'd have to carry it concealed... at least until the open carry law passes.

Ironically, if you had an SBR or AOW, you could carry it concealed or open without breaking any laws in Texas.

Link Posted: 5/1/2015 7:15:20 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Since they're classified as a "handgun", you'd have to carry it concealed... at least until the open carry law passes.

Ironically, if you had an SBR or AOW, you could carry it concealed or open without breaking any laws in Texas.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I would need clarification on the SBR thing. I was under the understanding Texas was "Long Gun" open carry.
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 1:17:48 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

I would need clarification on the SBR thing. I was under the understanding Texas was "Long Gun" open carry.
View Quote
Texas is currently no handgun open carry (with some exceptions.)

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top