Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/17/2014 8:46:24 PM EDT
I'm at Ft Bliss for a couple weeks and was wondering what there was to do in the area?

I've been told to go see Las Cruces and hit Cattleman's in Fabens.  I've tried Carlos & Mickey's as well a L&J Café.
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 10:02:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Keep your head (literally).   Dont go south!!!!
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 10:40:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
What to do in El Paso.
View Quote

Leave.
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 1:20:11 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I'm at Ft Bliss for a couple weeks and was wondering what there was to do in the area?

I've been told to go see Las Cruces and hit Cattleman's in Fabens.  I've tried Carlos & Mickey's as well a L&J Café.
View Quote

I'd suggest the Wyler Aerial Tramway it's a pretty cool way to kill a couple of hours.

War Eagles Air Museum is pretty cool, it's in Santa Teresa, NM, just over the state line from the Westside of town While over there The State Line BBQ is popular.

Go to Delicious Mexican Eatery on Fort Boulevard and get the Chile Verde Burrito, you will never spend $2.69 on a better lunch in your life, it was recently named the second best burrito in America. The gorditas are mighty fine too. (they are not hip and cool enough to have a website, but Julia Child ate there once)

If you really like Mexican food go to KiKi's on Piedras and get the Manchaca. Aaron Sanchez from Food Network calls it one of the best things he's ever eaten.

The El Paso Museum of Art currently has a Cezanne and Picasso exhibit as well as one on the influence of impressionism on the art of the American West. The El Paso Museum of History has a exhibit on the military genius of Julius Caesar.

If you have a free day and a car I'd highly recommend a trip to Carlsbad to see Carlsbad Cavern National Park if you've never been. It is about a 2 1/2 hour drive each way and quite scenic the actual cavern can be hiked in less than 3 hours. I recommend doing the cavern about 1 pm or so and staying for the bat flight at sunset if they haven't flown south for the winter yet.

If someone talks you into going to Chico's Tacos (Locals worship the place, but it is an acquired taste, kinda like White Castle, unfortunately they think everyone else will like it as much as they do) outsmart them and order the red chile stew burrito, they are superb.

Got any questions or need anything feel free to IM me
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 8:44:35 AM EDT
[#4]
I'll second Carlsbad.   Stay the evening for the bats
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 10:12:24 AM EDT
[#5]
Survive, Evade, Resist, ESCAPE!!!
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 10:59:27 AM EDT
[#6]
Go check out Old Mesilla just south of Las Cruces.  You can see Cloudcroft and Ruidoso for some different scenery.  You can go to the McDonald Observatory in the Davis Mountains.
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 9:05:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for the tips and no, Mexico is not in the plans.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 8:43:50 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I'd suggest the Wyler Aerial Tramway it's a pretty cool way to kill a couple of hours.

War Eagles Air Museum is pretty cool, it's in Santa Teresa, NM, just over the state line from the Westside of town While over there The State Line BBQ is popular.

Go to Delicious Mexican Eatery on Fort Boulevard and get the Chile Verde Burrito, you will never spend $2.69 on a better lunch in your life, it was recently named the second best burrito in America. The gorditas are mighty fine too. (they are not hip and cool enough to have a website, but Julia Child ate there once)

If you really like Mexican food go to KiKi's on Piedras and get the Manchaca. Aaron Sanchez from Food Network calls it one of the best things he's ever eaten.

The El Paso Museum of Art currently has a Cezanne and Picasso exhibit as well as one on the influence of impressionism on the art of the American West. The El Paso Museum of History has a exhibit on the military genius of Julius Caesar.

If you have a free day and a car I'd highly recommend a trip to Carlsbad to see Carlsbad Cavern National Park if you've never been. It is about a 2 1/2 hour drive each way and quite scenic the actual cavern can be hiked in less than 3 hours. I recommend doing the cavern about 1 pm or so and staying for the bat flight at sunset if they haven't flown south for the winter yet.

If someone talks you into going to Chico's Tacos (Locals worship the place, but it is an acquired taste, kinda like White Castle, unfortunately they think everyone else will like it as much as they do) outsmart them and order the red chile stew burrito, they are superb.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ahhh man! You are reminding me how much I miss El Paso. I have to try to go back before the year is up.

I will add in Roscoe's burgers at 3829 Tompkins Rd,  79930. I am getting nostalgic about the place, I used to go with my grandpa who lived right around the corner from the place when I was a kid.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 12:21:34 PM EDT
[#9]
You could fall in love with a Mexican girl.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 12:29:01 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

In Rosa's cantina?
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 3:00:28 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

In Rosa's cantina?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

In Rosa's cantina?

Yup.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 3:11:41 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Yup.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

In Rosa's cantina?

Yup.

Now I know your age......
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 3:25:11 PM EDT
[#13]
If you go to Walmart, you think you are in Mexico.

No, you can't call me racist.  I am brown!
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 7:34:59 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

In Rosa's cantina?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

In Rosa's cantina?

Is there something about "a girl just fourteen"?
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 6:21:42 PM EDT
[#15]
There's a pretty nifty Border Patrol museum there as well.

Or, J-Town for the Donkey Show.....
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 8:43:02 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Ahhh man! You are reminding me how much I miss El Paso. I have to try to go back before the year is up.

I will add in Roscoe's burgers at 3829 Tompkins Rd,  79930. I am getting nostalgic about the place, I used to go with my grandpa who lived right around the corner from the place when I was a kid.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I guess I should have tried Roscoe's but all the locals told me to got to State Line.  Meh BBQ.
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 4:54:38 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I guess I should have tried Roscoe's but all the locals told me to got to State Line.  Meh BBQ.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

For the record I didn't say it was good, just "popular" I agree though "Meh BBQ" indeed. It is a nice place though, and they have concerts on the patio some nights and that's pretty cool.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top