Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/25/2008 12:12:10 PM EDT
Got tagged 15 over in a 40 on the service road 1400 Lubbock, North bound beside the 59.  Southbound, same roadway and conditions is 55.  

Ticket doesn't show up on line.  Since I am from AZ, is my only option to pay, and how much do you think it will be when it shows up?

I am a reasonable person and the road condition and area don't warrant such a low speed, so it is a prime area to generate revenue.  I don't think a single vehicle travels 40 on that stretch.  They were standing out of the sight line using lasers and flagging over vehicles.  

I guess it is my turn to pay the road tax...........I haven't had a speeding ticket in 24 years.  
Link Posted: 3/25/2008 12:25:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Happens all the time in Houston.

You met STEP.

STEP was working Louisiana Street this lunchtime.  Lasers and jumping out in front of traffic.  They are gonna get runned over one day.
Link Posted: 3/25/2008 12:33:07 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Got tagged 15 over in a 40 on the service road 1400 Lubbock, North bound beside the 59.  Southbound, same roadway and conditions is 55.  

Ticket doesn't show up on line.  Since I am from AZ, is my only option to pay, and how much do you think it will be when it shows up?

I am a reasonable person and the road condition and area don't warrant such a low speed, so it is a prime area to generate revenue.  I don't think a single vehicle travels 40 on that stretch.  They were standing out of the sight line using lasers and flagging over vehicles.  

I guess it is my turn to pay the road tax...........I haven't had a speeding ticket in 24 years.  

Please.....When will adults stop acting like babies when they get caught speeding, and stop blaming everyone else?

So, how much of the city budget comes from speeding tickets in Houston?

I never met anyone who didn't describe themself as reasonable. Also, when did you do you traffic study to determine the safe speed there?  

Now to try to be helpful;  You can ask for a deferred disposition on the case, and I think you can do that by mail.  If you are not cited again in 90 days, your ticket will be dismissed.  It is worth the try.  You should even be able to do a Defensive Driving course and have the ticet dismissed.  
Link Posted: 3/25/2008 1:26:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Please right back.  Half my family is LEO and I have been around when many tickets were written.  It is a cat and mouse game of revenue generation in many cases and the courts DO make the money and bitch about it when revenues drop.  FACT!

I did drive back and verify the conditions and speed signage.  I am an engineer and can make a fair accessment based on lane width, line of sight, and average speed of vehicles on the road.  I am sure all of the school zones in town were completely safe today, thus the enforcement on that particular road, if you get my meaning here!  It's for the children, dammit!

I am not trying to say I am not guilty.  I just wanted to know my options with traffic school, or the deferral mentioned.  

If it is a $100 ticket I will just pay it, but I don't know that.

C.D. Russell was the laser operator and he definately loves donuts.
Link Posted: 3/25/2008 2:57:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Its ALL about revenue.

Do a search about the red light cameras.  Cities are bitching because now that they are in they are not making enough money!
Link Posted: 3/25/2008 3:50:21 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Now to try to be helpful;  You can ask for a deferred disposition on the case, and I think you can do that by mail.  If you are not cited again in 90 days, your ticket will be dismissed.  It is worth the try.  You should even be able to do a Defensive Driving course and have the ticet dismissed.  

But you will still have to pay $$.  There is no getting around not paying the city.
Link Posted: 3/25/2008 5:14:36 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Its ALL about revenue.

Do a search about the red light cameras.  Cities are bitching because now that they are in they are not making enough money!

The AZ governess isn't even trying to hide that fact anymore.  She wants an additional $90 million and is buying a shit-ton of radar vans to make it up.  They don't like donuts at all.

The only deferral I saw on the TX court site was for indigents........
Link Posted: 3/25/2008 6:01:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Every Houston based public safety program is geared for revenue.  15mph over the limit should net $240 from you wallet for Houston.
Link Posted: 3/25/2008 6:58:16 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Its ALL about revenue.

Uh, CONTRACTORS cannot justify them when the infraction rate drops.  Ergo, it WAS about revenue but only in the eyes of the service providers, in most cases, contractors.
Link Posted: 3/25/2008 7:05:26 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Every Houston based public safety program is geared for revenue.  15mph over the limit should net $240 from you wallet for Houston.

Are there any court costs?  

It did seem extremely unsafe that these two guys were physically jumping out into moving traffic with vehicles in multiple lanes.  They were not wearing orange safety vests that many departments mandate for roadblocks and DUI checkpoints.

I would wonder why OSHA wouldn't be up their ass about risking lives and possibly causing collisions.  

Honestly, I was distracted, trying to drive safely and figure out how to get going the other way on the network of service roads that seem to be unique to Texas. No cell phone, no GPS, I was literally scanning around trying to figure out how and when I could make a u-turn.   I was more shook by an unknown individual jumping in front of my car at the time, and really didn't have much to say to him.  When they pulled this bullshit in AZ, at least they gave them big red stopsigns.  That didn't last a month.............

I was CCW, but I didn't recall at the time whether I had to notify???  
Link Posted: 3/25/2008 7:24:25 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Please.....When will adults stop acting like babies when they get caught speeding, and stop blaming everyone else?

So, how much of the city budget comes from speeding tickets in Houston?

I never met anyone who didn't describe themself as reasonable. Also, when did you do you traffic study to determine the safe speed there?  

Do you have any friends?
Link Posted: 3/25/2008 7:50:39 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Are there any court costs?  

It did seem extremely unsafe ....

I was CCW, but I didn't recall at the time whether I had to notify???  

If you are just paying the fine, there will be no court case.  If you contest and fight it, then you can expect court cost.  If you request deferred disposition, the court cost for 15mph and under speeding is $207.  I would probably request the DP in your case though i'm not sure how willing the judge will be in granting it.

Houston does not care about safety, what a crock!  They do nothing but grab $$$.

Yes, in Texas you are required to notify when you have a CCW present.
Link Posted: 3/25/2008 8:20:30 PM EDT
[#12]
I generated some revenue for the county today.  I wrote a citation for 70 in a 35.
Link Posted: 3/25/2008 8:41:40 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I generated some revenue for the county today.  I wrote a citation for 70 in a 35.

Me too. No DL. 3 more this week and I get the toaster !!!
Link Posted: 3/25/2008 10:34:57 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

125 in a 65 from an aston martin
Link Posted: 3/26/2008 2:58:06 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

what is up with that?
so do you take them to jail?
how much is the fine?

always wondered as i know the vette will do 160.
Link Posted: 3/26/2008 6:06:57 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Do you have any friends?

Link Posted: 3/26/2008 7:09:25 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

How did you catch him?
Link Posted: 3/26/2008 8:19:55 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

How did you catch him?

yeah really, thats what i want to know.
Considering he drives a Chevy Impalla im figuring he had to bust him on the tollroad and it took a while to catch up. The tollroad is the only place where you could really nab a guy going that fast.

either way i owe both a yall lunch for those feats. I dont think I've got a person for double over yet!
Link Posted: 3/26/2008 10:55:08 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

How did you catch him?

yeah really, thats what i want to know.
Considering he drives a Chevy Impalla im figuring he had to bust him on the tollroad and it took a while to catch up. The tollroad is the only place where you could really nab a guy going that fast.

either way i owe both a yall lunch for those feats. I dont think I've got a person for double over yet!

We 'll we just got 6 new CVPIs, however he saw me light him up and he pulled over and waited for me to catch up in my crappy v6 impala.

His excuse was ,"its my wifes time of month, we are hurrying home for her."

My responce was "you passed a walmart back there at mach 2.  you coulda met her needs at walmart......sign here"
Link Posted: 3/26/2008 11:09:49 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

We 'll we just got 6 new CVPIs, however he saw me light him up and he pulled over and waited for me to catch up in my crappy v6 impala.

His excuse was ,"its my wifes time of month, we are hurrying home for her."

My responce was "you passed a walmart back there at mach 2.  you coulda met her needs at walmart......sign here"

So, you didn't take him to jail because he pulled over for you?

When i'm busted and i know i'm busted that's what i usually do.  I rose up once side of an overpass on I10 doing about 78.  Cop lit me up, detector was going crazy.  He flipped his lights on.

I saved him some time by pulling over right in front of him.  He didn't even have to take is foot off the brake.

Link Posted: 3/26/2008 12:58:21 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Its ALL about revenue.

Uh, CONTRACTORS cannot justify them when the infraction rate drops.  Ergo, it WAS about revenue but only in the eyes of the service providers, in most cases, contractors.

+1  The cameras can hang paper all day long, but it is hard to get people to pay.  I expect the methods and rules will change to increase profits.

Tucson Revenue Generation link

My point is I am not a habitual speeder and tend to be very safe.  Speed traps and radar vans use no discretion.  A moment of inattention and you pay the tax.  You can bet Master Officer Russell drives 55 through that section, even off duty.  
Link Posted: 3/26/2008 1:31:37 PM EDT
[#22]

Damn.....I guess I paid my own salary today if thats the case.  Not thtat I work that area but I do work the service roads where the limit is 45 and I give 60 before I make a stop.

Yup
Link Posted: 3/26/2008 9:47:08 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Big Russell got ya huh? He's nice, I give 13 over. What was the location of the ticket? You gave 1400 Lubbock but thats the addy for the City Municipal Courts building. IIRC you were probably on Chartres N/B, probably somewhere behind the GRB or minute maid park. Theres no service road located anywhere near downtown with a speed limit of 55 mph. The speed limit is 30 mph anywhere in the central business district which is also the speed limit on Chartres. Too many events with too many pedestrians go on downtown to have a higher speed limit.

The reason that I run laser there on a regular basis is that Chartres becomes a racetrack in the afternoons when people get off work. I get tired on doing accident reports b/c people try to beat the red light, when in fact they run it and t-bone another car. Don't even mention all the homeless people that get run over. There's plenty of signs displaying the posted speed limit.

Link Posted: 3/30/2008 9:24:00 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Big Russell got ya huh? He's nice, I give 13 over. What was the location of the ticket? You gave 1400 Lubbock but thats the addy for the City Municipal Courts building. IIRC you were probably on Chartres N/B, probably somewhere behind the GRB or minute maid park. Theres no service road located anywhere near downtown with a speed limit of 55 mph. The speed limit is 30 mph anywhere in the central business district which is also the speed limit on Chartres. Too many events with too many pedestrians go on downtown to have a higher speed limit.

The reason that I run laser there on a regular basis is that Chartres becomes a racetrack in the afternoons when people get off work. I get tired on doing accident reports b/c people try to beat the red light, when in fact they run it and t-bone another car. Don't even mention all the homeless people that get run over. There's plenty of signs displaying the posted speed limit.

I had just left Pappas after a dozen oysters and a bowl of gumbo.  Two were running laser in front of an 'adult oriented' store.  I was north bound on the service road by the 59.  Northbound was 40, southbound is 55.  I looped around a second time to be sure.
Link Posted: 3/31/2008 5:19:18 PM EDT
[#25]
Wow, I didn't even realize they slipped this one over on us:

Texas Driver Responsibility Law (and surcharge of course!)
TRC § 708; Article 10, House Bill 3588, 78th Legislative Session
Texas DPS

Perry and his Trans Texas Corridor strike again!  I honestly completely missed this one.  Sure, I was out of the country and all but how this crap have passed in Texas?  As time goes by Texas is starting to resemble my homeland that I fled (Cook County, IL).  What a shame
Link Posted: 3/31/2008 7:37:14 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Texas DPS

Perry and his Trans Texas Corridor strike again!  I honestly completely missed this one.  Sure, I was out of the country and all but how this crap have passed in Texas?  As time goes by Texas is starting to resemble my homeland that I fled (Cook County, IL).  What a shame

Every time I've told folks about this law I've been corrected "Texas doesn't have a point system."

Right.  

Link Posted: 4/1/2008 11:47:16 AM EDT
[#27]
I know someone who found out about the point system the hard way: Arrested from warrant issued for non-payment of point system state surcharge!  Never received a notice from DPS they claim.  Just stopped for a traffic violation and then arrested.  Surprise!
Link Posted: 4/1/2008 12:01:14 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Texas DPS

Looks like those laws have been on the books since the 78th legislative session, or  about 5 years...

On edit -
Would not the option to defer/dismiss tickets via the driver safety class mostly cause the point system to be moot?

...well, unless you're getting more than one speeding ticket a year. That would change things.
Link Posted: 4/2/2008 11:05:08 AM EDT
[#29]
So the wife tells me I got a letter from a lawyer offering to fight my case for $50.  I assume he got my info from court records???

I also assume the offer is worth the paper it is written on?

Link Posted: 4/2/2008 11:42:16 AM EDT
[#30]
I would say talk to him about it.  What could it hurt.  I have heard there are attorneys out there that will take cases like this for a fee.  Win or lose, all you pay is the fee.  For 50 bucks can you go wrong?
Link Posted: 4/2/2008 3:56:03 PM EDT
[#31]
You will get several representation letters in the mail!  They do pull your name from the arraignment list.  Depends on the situation and BS level if I would hire an attorney.  You tend to get what you pay for when it comes to attorneys.  You could just pay the cost and go deferred disposition.
Link Posted: 4/5/2008 5:50:29 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
You will get several representation letters in the mail!  They do pull your name from the arraignment list.  Depends on the situation and BS level if I would hire an attorney.  You tend to get what you pay for when it comes to attorneys.  You could just pay the cost and go deferred disposition.

That is what I plan to do.  
Link Posted: 4/5/2008 10:31:14 PM EDT
[#33]
I would just do deferred comp.  Lot of those lawyers don't show, and even if they do, what's to say it means your ticket will be dismissed.  Officer Mean guy clocked you going x mph, speed limit was x mph, all it is is luck of the draw on judges, and my friends who work in that area say the judges are nearly as liberal and likely to believe a citizen over an officer.  But you have obviously been wronged.  

I wronged a guy terribly today for going 50 in a 35.  Turns out he was slammed drunk, but as long as I got some $$$ for the city, that is all that matters right?  That's what cops go out and look for, more money for more people who don't support them and hang their ass out at any chance of re-election.  

Fight this ticket, take it all the way to the supreme court man.  I am sure someone can bring the cross and nails for you.

Seriously, people wonder why cops get bad attitudes.  If every single guy I had contact with was what he said he was (innocent and a victim)  No one would ever have been speeding, beating their wife, drunk driving, selling drugs or generally marking life hard on the rest of the population.  Suck it up and pay more attention to the signs around you while you drive, not "the flow of traffic."
Link Posted: 4/6/2008 3:37:11 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

what is up with that?
so do you take them to jail?
how much is the fine?

always wondered as i know the vette will do 160.

173 in a 65, now thats getting it, cars are slow.  Of course he didn't catch me it was a friend on mine plano we were playing around with his radar gun on bush.  There were 6 of us, it was fun till DPS pulled up, lol.  Luckly we were on the other side when we went back by.  That was a fun night.

FireBlade

ps 99,000 miles and it still hauls ass, gotta love honda
Link Posted: 4/7/2008 1:12:23 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
I would just do deferred comp.  Lot of those lawyers don't show, and even if they do, what's to say it means your ticket will be dismissed.  Officer Mean guy clocked you going x mph, speed limit was x mph, all it is is luck of the draw on judges, and my friends who work in that area say the judges are nearly as liberal and likely to believe a citizen over an officer.  But you have obviously been wronged.  

I wronged a guy terribly today for going 50 in a 35.  Turns out he was slammed drunk, but as long as I got some $$$ for the city, that is all that matters right?  That's what cops go out and look for, more money for more people who don't support them and hang their ass out at any chance of re-election.  

Fight this ticket, take it all the way to the supreme court man.  I am sure someone can bring the cross and nails for you.

Seriously, people wonder why cops get bad attitudes.  If every single guy I had contact with was what he said he was (innocent and a victim)  No one would ever have been speeding, beating their wife, drunk driving, selling drugs or generally marking life hard on the rest of the population.  Suck it up and pay more attention to the signs around you while you drive, not "the flow of traffic."

If you are a cop and your paperwork is as confusing as this post then i'm not surprised tickets you hand out get dismissed.

If the flow of the traffic is going 60, and you are going 45 you are impeding traffic, and should be ticketed if it is a limited access highway.  Regardless of the posted speed limit.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top