Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Posted: 4/29/2007 7:03:48 AM EDT
Tiger Valley will host its second annual Bug Out Drill, September 29, 2007.  We will run the same distance as last year, 15 miles, but the physical challenges will be tougher.  For those who didn't attend the last event, the idea for this was spawned from reading the survival forum.  I, like a lot of people don't believe that something does what it claims without a test; hence, the But Out Drill was born.  

As last year the challenge was to move and recover family members who are a distance away.  For the sake of argument an EMP has disabled all vehicles, I know some of you have spare parts wrapped in foil, but we have to keep this on an even keel.  That means you have to travel the entire rought on foot, no bikes, 4-wheelers Gurka's or Donkey's allowed on the course.  You must carry everything you need for the event on your person.  We will have a hydration station that you can top off water during the event.

Last years event had 20 physical challenges, everything from having to cut through chain link fence to triage a tactical mannequin.  This year I plan on making some of the challenges technically and physically more challenging.  I won't go into detail on the plans but nothing is off the table.

We had 27 hard-core contestants compete last year.  Everyone made a great effort, and from the feedback, learned allot from the experience.  As the concept stated last year, you don't have to complete each event.  If the event is to challenging, you can by-pass it and take the penalty.  Remember, this event is designed to test you and your equipment, not kill you.  We don't want to run those off who might be intimidated at some events.  

I need some feedback from you guys on one area.  I thought it might be good to require those attending to camp out on Friday night.  Pitch whatever survival tent you have and take off in the morning.  This idea is still up for grabs so let me know what you think.

The price for the event will be the same as last year, $150.00.  I will start getting prizes as soon as I get back from this class in Waco.
Link Posted: 4/29/2007 8:31:24 AM EDT
[#1]
I like the idea of being onsite the night before.  It could also allow for an earlier start to the event.  I think it would allow for more people to get to know each other before the start.  One thing that I have enjoyed about Tiger Valley is getting to know more people.  Along the trail of this event I got to know several and it helps to push yourself.
Link Posted: 4/29/2007 11:48:36 AM EDT
[#2]
How far is Tiger Valley from Ft Worth?
Link Posted: 4/29/2007 11:51:43 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
How far is Tiger Valley from Ft Worth?

About 1½ hours, down 35 and turn left at Bellmead and about 17 miles to Watt.  I hope this gives you a general idea.  I think the website www.tigervalley.com has directions and a link to a map.

mm
Link Posted: 4/29/2007 6:47:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Time to start saving my pennies!

Any chance we can get a link to last years after action reports?

Semper Fi
Link Posted: 4/29/2007 6:49:12 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
....  but the physical challenges will be tougher.  

You're a bad, bad man!
Link Posted: 4/29/2007 6:54:34 PM EDT
[#6]
I still fear ammo cans due to last year

ETA: I will be marking this on the calendar!
Link Posted: 4/29/2007 6:58:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Although I think we should have it in August, the heat really put a hurting on most people.  That said, I hope it is hotter than all hell in September.  I will be more ready than I was last year.  Should be great.  I hope that TJ took a look at my ideas on the previos BO post.  LOL.

James
Link Posted: 4/29/2007 7:30:46 PM EDT
[#8]
My .02 says that getting a room at a local hotel for the weekend is the way to go for the "seasoned citizens" amongst us (well, okay, me!), but I certainly see the value of being onsite the night before.
Link Posted: 4/29/2007 8:24:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Please don't make it so that we have to camp out. That is going to complicate everything for me with my dog and all. I'll bring down a tent and set it up if you want to see that I can do it.

Link Posted: 4/29/2007 8:26:06 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I like the idea of being on site the night before.  It could also allow for an earlier start to the event.  I think it would allow for more people to get to know each other before the start.  One thing that I have enjoyed about Tiger Valley is getting to know more people.  Along the trail of this event I got to know several and it helps to push yourself.

I agree with the above. Also, camping is a bit cheaper than a motel. I can put that $50 toward a multitool.
Link Posted: 4/30/2007 5:48:40 AM EDT
[#11]
I think that I am more concerned about where I sleep Sat night than Friday.  Even though my wife drove me home it was a beating.
Link Posted: 4/30/2007 6:03:29 AM EDT
[#12]
A "beating" b/c you rode home with the W? Or, a "beating" b/c it was a difficult event and things just plain sucked afterward.....

Dude, you and HB were not even breathing hard at the end.  

Maybe TJ will give us a preview of things to come.....just a little preview.....

As far as camping out, I don't really care too much, I was planning on sleeping in the van again, like I did for the 3-gun.  That is my survival tent.

The only thing I want to know if if I need to hump my rappelling gear.  Other than that, I am good to go.

James
Link Posted: 4/30/2007 7:56:58 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Dude, you and HB were not even breathing hard at the end.  

Maybe TJ will give us a preview of things to come.....just a little preview.....

James

If you're talking about me, I was done in after the 2nd lap. I may have been able to make the third lap, though it would have taken me several more hours.

I'm in better shape now than I was last summer, and I'm interested to see how much better I could do.
By next September my domestic situation should be simplified (it darn well better be!). Making any plans right now is difficult.
Link Posted: 4/30/2007 8:04:39 AM EDT
[#14]
Naw Lawdog, thing just plain sucked for a while as the body cooled off and tensed up.

Schulze and I were not breathing hard because you gave us our second wind after seeing you laying on the ground telling us that you couldn't hold anything down....(thanks for that)

TJ did give us a preview,  BUGOUT '06... TJ sure has a vivid imagination.

Link Posted: 4/30/2007 8:30:27 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Schulze and I were not breathing hard because you gave us our second wind after seeing you laying on the ground telling us that you couldn't hold anything down....(thanks for that)

Yeah, it's hard to cut wire while laughing!
Link Posted: 4/30/2007 9:01:10 AM EDT
[#16]
Sorry, wrong dude.  I was referring to Schultze.  Actually, I wasn't laying on the ground, I was laying on the wire.  You SOB's running past, with 5# of gear on, tennis shoes, Evian in hand, just plain pissed me off.  Fockers!  I should have puked all over that wire.  Heck, I distributed puke evenly across the course.

Let's see,....I left puke..

next to the wall on lap two
next to the wire on lap two
over by the 1000m range on lap three
and lest we not forget, next to the wire cutting on lap two (if you look around, you will find my ammo can out there also.  I hope TJ hits it with the mower...kidding).

Actually, I have to clarify, the puke at the end of lap three really wasn't puke, it was just a bit of water followed by a mile of dry heaves.

James

Link Posted: 4/30/2007 9:16:05 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
and lest we not forget, next to the wire cutting on lap two (if you look around, you will find my ammo can out there also.  I hope TJ hits it with the mower...kidding).

James

I went around for the rest of that day, and a later date picking up abandoned ammo cans.  I'm not sure I found all of them.  We did find the magazine carrier, I think that was mailed back to the owner.
Link Posted: 4/30/2007 9:33:08 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Sorry, wrong dude.  I was referring to Schulze.  Actually, I wasn't laying on the ground, I was laying on the wire.  You SOB's running past, with 5# of gear on, tennis shoes, Evian in hand, just plain pissed me off.  Fockers!  I should have puked all over that wire.  Heck, I distributed puke evenly across the course...Blah blah, more girlish complaining, yadda yadda...

Well *maybe* if we spend a few days hiking around your place like you were talking about three months ago you could be in better shape come September...

And you know why I was killing myself to go so fast? It was seeing all you guys at the start with your $2,000 Gucci ARs (except you have an FAL) and Ralph Lauren chest rigs. Spooked me, it did!

We did find the magazine carrier, I think that was mailed back to the owner.

Yes, thank you much!
Link Posted: 4/30/2007 11:51:24 AM EDT
[#19]
I was in excellent shape.  Just not a skinny rodent runner like you and Airone.  Plus, I was in BDU's and carrying 50# of gear w/rifle, not some sissy folder AK and a tiny backpack that didn't even have a multi-tool.....LOL

If I see you attempting to break anything with the AK this year, I will probably have to hit you with something solid, like my FAL....LOL

James
Link Posted: 4/30/2007 12:04:24 PM EDT
[#20]
With the ammo cans, which AIRONE and I carried for 10 miles, I had a little over 60# of gear. Burrrrn!
Link Posted: 4/30/2007 12:06:44 PM EDT
[#21]
Sounds like it would be a great test of skills...
Link Posted: 4/30/2007 12:07:51 PM EDT
[#22]
I can't wait to get in on this.  Not so sure sbout the camping.  I wouldn't mind it if it wasn't extra gear I had to hump all day.  That added wait and not being able to leave anything on the side of the trail could be a really bad thing.  Looks like you can only shave so much weight off.  
Link Posted: 5/1/2007 5:45:04 AM EDT
[#23]
Lawdog, Schulze has a pretty new AR (Gucci) to carry this year.

Besides he could have used the 22# ammo can to brake what he needed to.  This year we are going with Fiji water instead......

Link Posted: 5/1/2007 10:08:34 AM EDT
[#24]
There appears to be no hot air balloon restriction this time...
Link Posted: 5/3/2007 3:10:54 AM EDT
[#25]
being an aging hi drag lo speed guy these days, can one come to observe, maybe help in course guidance/judging??
Link Posted: 5/3/2007 5:10:19 AM EDT
[#26]
Last year there were a few spectators.  I am sure that lending a hand in manning this event would be welcomed.  Since this event has stages that are spread out over a large area, it take quite a few to man this.
Link Posted: 5/3/2007 5:42:10 AM EDT
[#27]
is there any shooting involved?
Link Posted: 5/3/2007 6:29:44 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
is there any shooting involved?

You could say that

Link Posted: 5/3/2007 6:37:32 AM EDT
[#29]
very cool pics. thanks
Link Posted: 5/3/2007 7:51:10 AM EDT
[#30]
Hmm...  
Link Posted: 5/3/2007 6:04:44 PM EDT
[#31]
Bump to show more pics!  Can't wait till this Sept!

The final challenge!  And by far my favorite

Trigger man
Link Posted: 5/4/2007 1:27:33 PM EDT
[#32]
Epoch96, are you going to practice going over the wall with your pack on this year???
Link Posted: 5/4/2007 8:17:12 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
Epoch96, are you going to practice going over the wall with your pack on this year???

I've been training on my "bouncing" technique.  
Link Posted: 5/5/2007 7:51:01 AM EDT
[#34]
Tagorama.
If I do make it, I'm bringing a case of saline.
Link Posted: 5/5/2007 10:28:09 AM EDT
[#35]
Bad-assed pics.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 5/8/2007 2:15:46 PM EDT
[#36]
Can't wait for "TJ's Death March ll" the sequel. I really learned a lot on the first one about what works and what just sounds good. Some thoughts I had are denote the difference between "necessary" field problems and bonus problems, i.e. rope crossing vs. catching a fish. Maybe have a minimum pack weight, more points for shooting, less bias for time. There's lots of time for TJ to refine the level of pain inflicted. Gotta love a mind that twisted. Looking forward to another education.
Link Posted: 5/8/2007 5:57:06 PM EDT
[#37]
TJ,

Do you mind if this gets referenced on another board?  Full credit and a link to here would be given of course.

I'm trying to drum up some more idiots like me on another board with hopes I can at least get a few folks to come with me.

Semper Fi
Link Posted: 5/21/2007 5:22:05 AM EDT
[#38]
Optics, whatever you use is OK.  If you  guys had any idea of the e-mails I get from people streaching the envelop you would laugh your ass off.  I'm working to keep things as real as I can for everyone on major issues.  
Link Posted: 5/21/2007 5:50:55 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
Optics, whatever you use is OK.  If you  guys had any idea of the e-mails I get from people streaching the envelop you would laugh your ass off.  I'm working to keep things as real as I can for everyone on major issues.  

Hey - I bet we could all use a good laugh!
I know I could
Link Posted: 5/21/2007 10:16:19 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:
If things go as I expected we would have at least 25-30 problems to overcome this year.  Boy have I got plans for you guys this year.

We better start early then.

I got a multitool today.

Are you going to bring your maglight this year?

Hummm,
Pen,
Maglight,
Multitool,
Saw--naw buttstock
Airline sickness bag(s) for Lawdog!!!!!     Oh that's right he can puke right onto the ground...
Link Posted: 5/21/2007 11:30:18 AM EDT
[#41]
With that sissy AR, the saw is a must! But I think I'll leave the flashlight at home and just use the muzzle flash from my pistol.
Link Posted: 5/21/2007 11:34:41 AM EDT
[#42]
We don't need no stinking airsickness bag.  I have little flags this year for all the places where I puke.  Keep an eye out for them in the middle of the trail.

James

Link Posted: 5/21/2007 4:50:39 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Hey - I bet we could all use a good laugh!
I know I could

Same here.

And thanks for the clarification.
Link Posted: 5/21/2007 6:12:30 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
We don't need no stinking airsickness bag.  I have little flags this year for all the places where I puke.  Keep an eye out for them in the middle of the trail.

James

I may want to borrow a couple of those flags. Unless I'm able to improve from where I finished last year, a couple of those flags would be helpful for a search team in spotting my body.  
Link Posted: 5/22/2007 2:11:46 PM EDT
[#45]
Jus curious when is the latest the funds need to be sent in? Can we pay when we show or does it need to be sent in prior? Thanks. Look forward to it.
Link Posted: 5/22/2007 4:11:56 PM EDT
[#46]
1.  Do you have a link, or keywords I can use to search so as to read about last years event?  I'd like to see exactly what happened - and what to expect.

2.  Will the AARP have walkers available for folks like me?

EDIT:

Found one:  archive.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=123&t=461236
Link Posted: 5/22/2007 7:23:10 PM EDT
[#47]
Hey everyone I am 17 and I am going to try to attend this event with my father.  I IM'ed Maduce and he said it was fine as long as my father attends.  I was wondering what everyone's opinions on me attending were.  I do not want to make people nervous by having a young person in the competition.  I assure everyon that if I do attend I will have prepared.  I love shooting and I am an avid climber so this event looks like fun.  I am just trying to guage how people would feel about me attending.  If their is a really strong opposition and I can't alleviate whatever fears you may have I will not attend.  I do not want to make anyone nervous.

ETA: Sorry for the small hijack I just figured this was the best place to ask since it is basically the Bug Out Drill discussion.

Thank you,
-opti12206
Link Posted: 5/22/2007 7:33:28 PM EDT
[#48]
Opti-

You will have no objections from anyone here.  I would suggest that you pack all of your own gear, do all your own preparations, decide on your own footwear, etc. without your dad involved.  Doing this yourself with your own imagination and brain makes it that much better of a learning experience for you.  Get online, start making a list of things that might come up, and prep accordingly.  Your age is not a problem so long as you use good judgment, safety, and don't do anything stupid.  Be prepared to go it alone if your dad gives out as well.  

Some folks might think that age would give you the edge, but you still have to hump the gear and do the challenges like the rest of us.  Should be fun.  Besides, if you really feel like you got mad skills, we can make sure that start with Airone, Shultze, and Shultze's father.

James  
Link Posted: 5/22/2007 7:36:00 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
Hey everyone I am 17 and I am going to try to attend this event with my father.  I IM'ed Maduce and he said it was fine as long as my father attends.  I was wondering what everyone's opinions on me attending were.  I do not want to make people nervous by having a young person in the competition.  I assure everyon that if I do attend I will have prepared.  I love shooting and I am an avid climber so this event looks like fun.  I am just trying to guage how people would feel about me attending.  If their is a really strong opposition and I can't alleviate whatever fears you may have I will not attend.  I do not want to make anyone nervous.

ETA: Sorry for the small hijack I just figured this was the best place to ask since it is basically the Bug Out Drill discussion.

Thank you,
-opti12206

More power to you. I hope you can make it. I'm quite sure the staff and participants will be more than supportive. I wish I had done more (organized) stuff like this at your age.

I agree totally with Law too, do as much stuff by yourself as you can, and let it be a learining experience for you. I assure you it was for all of us last year... . Remember that most of us technically failed the drill last year, so don't think of it so much as competition, but to learn. Plus there's total honor in putting your self on the line and getting trained.
Link Posted: 5/22/2007 7:37:49 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
Opti-

You will have no objections from anyone here.  I would suggest that you pack all of your own gear, do all your own preparations, decide on your own footwear, etc. without your dad involved.  Doing this yourself with your own imagination and brain makes it that much better of a learning experience for you.  Get online, start making a list of things that might come up, and prep accordingly.  Your age is not a problem so long as you use good judgment, safety, and don't do anything stupid.  Be prepared to go it alone if your dad gives out as well.  

Some folks might think that age would give you the edge, but you still have to hump the gear and do the challenges like the rest of us.  Should be fun.  Besides, if you really feel like you got mad skills, we can make sure that start with Airone, Shultze, and Shultze's father.

James  

+1. Bring it, young Jedi!
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top