Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/14/2007 7:30:04 PM EDT
Discount Tire's spiffy website allows you to order your tires online, pay for them with a credit card, and schedule an appointment to have them installed at the Discount Tire store of your choice.

Undocumented "Feature:" The website will sell you tires that no store in the entire state has in stock. Furthermore, the website doesn't make any effort to get the tires to your store. So, several days later, when you show up for your appointment (or 1 hour before the appointment, in my particular case), the dealer tells you that he has no idea where your tires - the ones that you've already paid for - are.

Pretty nifty, eh?
Link Posted: 4/14/2007 7:48:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Uh....the web site does suggest that you call the store to see if the tires are in stock even if it shows that the tires should be in stock at that particular store.

I've been doing business with the local stores for a few years.  I usually find the tire I want online, call the store to see if they actually have it, then tell them I am on my way.  Also, print out the quote and take it with you....store prices and internet prices differ by up to 20% and they will always match the internet price.

mm
Link Posted: 4/14/2007 7:51:39 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
store prices and internet prices differ by up to 20% and they will always match the internet price.

Good to know, thanks.
Link Posted: 4/14/2007 8:17:25 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Uh....the web site does suggest that you call the store to see if the tires are in stock even if it shows that the tires should be in stock at that particular store.

The website says that providing credit card information "ensures" the tires will be reserved for you. What it doesn't say is that YOUR tires may be reserved in a warehouse someplace on the other side of the continent - with no effort made to get them to the installing store.

As for calling a store to inquire about what's in stock: It tells you what may be in stock at the time you call - and tells you nothing about what may be in stock when you arrive for the install several days later.

It's a sorry way of doing business.

As it turns out, I found the exact same set of 4 tires at TireRack - for about $50 less (installed). Their website actually lists what is and isn't in stock, estimated shipping times, installation costs at your local dealer, etc.
Link Posted: 4/14/2007 8:44:52 PM EDT
[#4]
never bought anything from them but thanks for the heads up about
Link Posted: 4/14/2007 9:43:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Tired of waiting at Discount Tires for 2 hours. Check out these guys:

GETTIRED.COM

They run a mobile tire service that will come to your door at your convienience and take care of all your tire needs with comparable pricing!  
Link Posted: 4/15/2007 11:30:27 AM EDT
[#6]
discount is the shizzel yes the wait is usually long but it is just becouse they have somany customers. I owe them for so many free flat repairs its not funny

and I have take advantage of the road hazord warrenty way to many times
Link Posted: 4/15/2007 11:45:03 AM EDT
[#7]
discount tire sucks shit when it comes to informing you about charges.  the pricks autmatically charge you for road hazard without telling you they are putting it on the bill.  they also almost automatically install long valve stems on your rims even when you tell them specifically that you want the short valve stems.
Link Posted: 4/15/2007 2:13:26 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

GETTIRED.COM

They run a mobile tire service that will come to your door at your convienience and take care of all your tire needs with comparable pricing!  

That's a cool idea.  How do they handle periodic rotations?

For periodic rotations you just schedule an appointment that's convienient for you and they come to your door. Be sure to ask for the ARFCOM discount! No joke. They really discount for board members.
Link Posted: 4/15/2007 2:34:19 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

GETTIRED.COM

That's a cool idea.  How do they handle periodic rotations?

For periodic rotations you just schedule an appointment that's convienient for you and they come to your door. Be sure to ask for the ARFCOM discount! No joke. They really discount for board members.

What about road hazard?

I use discount for all my tires.  I buy road hazard on all of them, if you ever have a flat they can't fix, or a blowout or whatever, you get a enw tire for free.

Worth the extra $50 per tire in my opinion.  One new BFG all terrain T/A and it pays for itself.

IF they do something similar i'd be willing to check them out.  Also, do they have a balancing machine on the truck or what?  

My one complaint is Discount never seems to balance the tires correctly.  Even if there is no wobble, they often don't put weights on the inside AND outside as you're supposed to on larger wheels and tires.
Link Posted: 4/15/2007 2:55:36 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

What about road hazard?

I use discount for all my tires.  I buy road hazard on all of them, if you ever have a flat they can't fix, or a blowout or whatever, you get a enw tire for free.

Worth the extra $50 per tire in my opinion.  One new BFG all terrain T/A and it pays for itself.

IF they do something similar i'd be willing to check them out.  Also, do they have a balancing machine on the truck or what?  

My one complaint is Discount never seems to balance the tires correctly.  Even if there is no wobble, they often don't put weights on the inside AND outside as you're supposed to on larger wheels and tires.

I run 35in. ProComp's that I got from them and have been very happy! My BFG's never seemed to balance that well and Discount couldn't have cared less. Thought they were going to call the PoPo on me for even asking to warranty the tires. The owner is a board member here as well, but I suggest just giving them a call. I chose not to purchase any road hazzard and considered the savings self insured and drawing interests.  
Link Posted: 4/15/2007 3:25:30 PM EDT
[#11]
I had great service from the Cedar park, TX bunch.  Called, set it up.  Drove in, slapped the tires on, drove out.  Great service and warranty.

Sorry for your experience, but they took care of me.
Link Posted: 4/15/2007 3:53:22 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

I run 35in. ProComp's that I got from them and have been very happy! My BFG's never seemed to balance that well and Discount couldn't have cared less. Thought they were going to call the PoPo on me for even asking to warranty the tires. The owner is a board member here as well, but I suggest just giving them a call. I chose not to purchase any road hazzard and considered the savings self insured and drawing interests.  

I have never had BFGs that were round and could be balanced properly.  

mm
Link Posted: 4/15/2007 5:09:04 PM EDT
[#13]
My experience with DT has been good, but then I always dealt with one guy who took care of me.  Too bad he doesn't work there anymore.  Wherever I've gone for tires, I pay for the road hazard warranty, and it has always paid off.
Link Posted: 4/15/2007 5:09:27 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

I have never had BFGs that were round and could be balanced properly.  

mm

Strange that you should say that.  I am running beadlocks with the BFG's on my Jeep, so I have never tried to balance them.  They ride just fine anyway, except when they have been sitting cold for a long time with 6-8 psi in them.  

The BFG's on my pick-up balance great, as have the previous fours sets I have run on other vehicles.

Sometimes the larger sizes are a bit tricky, as with any offroad tires, but with patience [sometimes rotating them on the wheel] they should balance OK.  Now if they are chunked very bad, or the wheels are banged up, all bets are off, but the brand of tire won't matter in that case.
Link Posted: 4/15/2007 5:23:06 PM EDT
[#15]
What I have found that works great in cases where you feel like a company has bent you over without lube or a kiss goodbye it start a thread on the net. Then as it builds into a bunch of people saying how they recieved the same as you, simply write them and include a link. I myself recieved a $749.00 pair of binoculars from a German maker when their U.S. marketing and repair outfit tried to make me their punk. I pointed out that over 800 people had viewed the thread. And in the retail bussiness that I have worked for 25 years 1 person who is pissed turns into 100.

As far as Discount Tire goes my last purchase there was ok. They sold me tires they did not have in stock. When they said they could have them in a couple of days for me I told them I could drive about a block and see if one of their other stores or competion had them now. I be damned if the manager did not arranged for those tires to be delivered in about 1 hour at no extra charge.

That is one of the biggest problems of doing bussiness over the net. If your pissed about the way they have or are trying to treat you, they cannot see how angry you are or the fact that you appear to be a gun owner by you t-shit or cap or both. In most cases a rant on someones sales floor will get you noticed. Houston as most large cities in Texas have way to much competion for you to recieve crappy service.
Link Posted: 4/18/2007 11:41:14 AM EDT
[#16]
I've purchased tires online that they didnt stock in stores many times.  Never had a problem.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top