Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/8/2017 1:31:44 PM EDT
I'm thinking about moving to SC. My city is slowly being overrun by leftists and my uncle recently moved to an area outside of Simpsonville. He says land is plentiful and for a good price and SC is not a bad place. I have a pretty niche certification with a degree in Finance/Accounting and was wondering if anyone could tell me if my uncle is FOS or if SC is a legit good place to move my family to?

How is the COL, average weather, etc?
Link Posted: 6/8/2017 2:05:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Lived down in Bluffton area for 5 1/2 yrs.  Before moving back to VA for a new job.  Loved it was 10 minutes or so from Hilton Head island, hour from Charleston, and 10 minutes or so from Savannah.  It gets hot and humid during summer and cold for maybe a month or two in winter.

SC is very pro 2A not so sure about land being cheap in the Bluffton area.  But other parts of the state are cheap.  Things are slow in SC so don't get in a rush they call it the slow country for a reason.
Link Posted: 6/8/2017 2:22:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Simpsonville is part of "The Upstate", which is centered around Greenville and Spartanburg.  I live in that area, but you may get somewhat different answers from other parts of the state.

Gun laws are good.  You'll need to get a permit to carry, and you can't consume alcohol while doing so.  The permits are shall issue, so you take a one day class and send off your paperwork and fingerprints and it'll come a few months later.  That's about as far as restrictions go.  The state house of representatives actually passed a bill allowing carry without a permit a few weeks ago, but the session ended before the senate took it up.  It will still be on the agenda when they reconvene in January.

I like the weather.  Winters are mild and we rarely get more than a couple inches of snow in any given year.  It does get hot and humid in the summer, which might be a shock depending on where you're coming from.  We get all four seasons.

Land and property prices are on the lower end from what I've seen.  That will also depend on where you're coming from.

We have 6% sales tax (can be higher within specific communities) on most things other than groceries, 7% (top bracket) state income tax and property taxes on both real property (land and buildings) and personal property (generally registered vehicles, boats, motorcycles, RVs etc.).  Sounds like a lot, but the overall burden is relatively low compared to some states.

Laws here don't allow the cities to annex property like they can in other states.  I mention that simply so you don't try to compare the various cities based on numbers.
Link Posted: 6/8/2017 2:32:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 6/8/2017 2:34:50 PM EDT
[#4]
not much to say. you're welcome to move here and enjoy everything the state has to offer, but we do things how we do things.

we don't care how you did it back home.

tea gets sugar and ice.
people in Columbia do bbq wrong. It should not be drowned in mustard or ketchup based sauce. vinegar only.
dukes is the only mayonnaise.
Link Posted: 6/8/2017 3:25:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
not much to say. you're welcome to move here and enjoy everything the state has to offer, but we do things how we do things.

tea gets sugar and ice.
people in Columbia do bbq wrong. It should not be drowned in mustard or ketchup based sauce. vinegar only.
View Quote
Tea gets lemon and sugar and set in the sun to steep. It gets cold in the fridge.
Mustard or ketchup based sauce? What kind of heathens are they?
Dukes sucks.

I like that SC has the guts to tell Yankees to fuck off, more of that needs to happen. Not like where I am now in FL.
Link Posted: 6/8/2017 3:46:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 6/8/2017 5:37:23 PM EDT
[#7]
SC is a great place to live. I live about half hour north of Simpsonville. People are nice. Food is great. Gun laws are very friendly toward gun owners. Gun shops are plentiful. Lots of great BBQ. Fast growing area of the state (Greenville county).

Land is not cheap here. Taxes are low compared to most northern states. But land is expensive, and getting scarce.

Deer hunting sucks monkey balls, but that's the only thing I lost moving here from new Yorkistan. The lifestyle here and quality of life is awesome, so I gained tremendously there by moving here.

I don't think you will regret moving here. Just assimilate rather than try to change things when you get here. We like it the way it is.
Link Posted: 6/8/2017 5:53:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
SC is a great place to live.

I don't think you will regret moving here. Just assimilate rather than try to change things when you get here. We like it the way it is.
View Quote
this... it is great living here, I love the way things are here.  I too am a replant... I think the only ones who try to change the ways down here are the libtards... if it ain't broke.. don't fix it.
Link Posted: 6/9/2017 7:07:37 AM EDT
[#9]
I have lived in Simpsonville since 1980. Great living! Greenville (10miles up the road) rocks with great eating. Lots of outdoor activities, also Baseball (Red Sox affiliate), Hockey team.

College football, Duke's, and vinegar based bbq sauce rule!!
Link Posted: 6/9/2017 11:59:11 AM EDT
[#10]
Born and raised in MD but have lived in SC for most of my life (all of my adult life). I live in Lexington now. Been here for 24 years now and still hate the heat and humidity of "summer." I say "summer" because it's hot and humid from late May/early June through the end of October. We don't see our first frost until some time in November. This is an issue for me because I actually like cooler weather. God bless A/C. Lol!!!

Even though I've lived here for more than half of my life, I'm reminded that I'm not a "native" on a regular basis. As you've seen from some of the comments, don't even think of adding the words "back home, we used to..." especially if "back home" is anywhere above the SC/NC border. A lot of "natives" still hold a grudge about the Civil War (War of Northern Aggression) so stay away from any "up north" comments unless you're talking about North, SC....which is southern (below the midlands) part of the state. Good, bad or indifferent, South Carolinians are very passionate about being southerners and more specifically, South Carolinians.

As far as the whole BBQ debate, if the type of sauce used is the focus, something's wrong with the meat. For me, it's more about the meat. The sauce should be nothing more than a condiment. I'm a carnivore so I welcome both beef and pork to my BBQ. That said, it's hard to beat a good southern pig pickin'.

Seriously though, there are some great people here in SC. I've made some life long friends here. Those I speak of in my previous comments are the annoyingly loud minority. Most are very welcoming and will give you the shirt off of their backs. Southern hospitality is a real thing and is alive and well in most parts of SC. Just like every state in the country, you have those that are great ambassadors and you have those that you wish would increase their lead intake and suck on a gun barrel. The fishing and hunting are a big reason I've stayed. Well, that and my wife and her family are here. You can fish 365 days a year. Living in Lexington, I can be at the coast fishing in saltwater as fast as I can be in the mountains ankle deep in a mountain trout stream. Plus, there are more lakes and rivers than you can shake a stick at. I personally believe the fishing is far better than the hunting but the hunting is nothing to be ashamed of. Deer season is long and limits are liberal. Deer management practices are a bit archaic but hunter mentality has changed significantly since I've lived here and progress is definitely being made, for the better in my opinion. One warning though, when someone in SC talks to you about dog hunting, it doesn't mean the same thing as "dog hunting" up north. I made the mistake a long time ago and was quick to learn my lesson. SC is a true sportsman's paradise though.

For me, even though I wasn't born here, where I was born is where "I'm from" but SC is my home.
Link Posted: 6/9/2017 12:37:07 PM EDT
[#11]
Grew up in Miami and did undergrad at UCF, so I was a native Floridian for my first 22 years.

I'm 30 now and am closing in on 3 years here in Greenville County not far from Simpsonville after moving here from grad school in Mississippi. SC is great. The Upstate has a good job market especially in manufacturing. My wife and I are young professionals with a toddler and another one on the way - there are good areas for schools so do your homework if that is a necessity.

Land can be cheap but as more people move here the prices are steadily going up even during my short time here. Still, compared to my old buddies in Dade County houses are affordable. My 2000sq ft house on 1/3 acre in an excellent school district would be untouchable for them down there at this point in our lives.

Things I like: job strength, cheap gas...even with new tax increases, pro 2A, friendly people, slower pace of life (except on I-85), proximity to other states (driving 8 hours from Miami just to get to Valdosta is obnoxious), and having actual 4 seasons (which I thought at first was overrated but I've really changed my mind about that).

Things I don't care for: state income tax, crappy roads, mustard BBQ, and beaches don't compare to FL (but that's what the mountains are for).

I plan on being here for the long haul. A fair bit of the transplants like myself seem to be like minded and respectful. I haven't really met any super obnoxious person yet that wants to turn SC back to Ohio where a majority seem to come from
Link Posted: 6/9/2017 1:48:02 PM EDT
[#12]
SC is the only state I've lived in twice. That should tell you something.

Charleston area, while getting a bit insane and congested, is the best place I've ever lived. Been here 7 years now. Don't want to leave.

It's, unfortunately, being a bit overrun by NE transplant libtards.

But as mentioned up-thread, don't come here and tell us how to do things. We like it our way. Sure, we will grow and learn new ways of doing things, but don't force us to do it your way.

Can't tell you how many new York, New jersey, Ohio and Michigan fucktards have come here to "escape high taxes and restrictive govt", only to gripe and complain, ultimately trying to vote for the same high-tax ideals and big govt policies they claimed to be escaping.

Since you're coming from FL, you've likely experienced some similar behaviors.
Link Posted: 6/11/2017 10:20:00 AM EDT
[#13]
Asking for unsweetened ice tea will set off THE YANKEE ALARM like I care.
Link Posted: 6/11/2017 3:48:51 PM EDT
[#14]
South Carolina is a good place.

Do you like the city or the county?  

Simpsonville has really grown lately, I don't even like to drive through there now b/c of the traffic.  Same with Greer.  Both of those areas used to be smaller.  

Housing is still fairly affordable.  A friend of mine just got a 2 story home in a nice subdivision in Simpsonville for right about 200K, and it seems to be a really nice nice house and area.

If you want land at an affordable price, you will need to go out farther.  Greenwood and Abbeville counties have nice land.  Depends how much land you want.  You can still find areas with your own deer if you like hunting.  Coyotes and hogs also.  

If you have any specific areas that you are interested in, or find something in Simpsonville, post it up and we can let you know about it.  I grew up in the Greenville/Spartanburg/Upstate area and am still there often visiting family.
Link Posted: 6/11/2017 5:11:05 PM EDT
[#15]
I lived in TN and loved it. This year I moved to Columbia, it stinks. Most people tell you how close it is to everything. In Charleston, Atlanta, Charlotte, etc. they never tell you how close they are to Columbia

I am going to give Alabama a try.
Link Posted: 6/12/2017 8:19:50 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I lived in TN and loved it. This year I moved to Columbia, it stinks. Most people tell you how close it is to everything. In Charleston, Atlanta, Charlotte, etc. they never tell you how close they are to Columbia

I am going to give Alabama a try.
View Quote
There's your first mistake. You clearly did not do your homework on that one! LOL!!
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 10:39:18 PM EDT
[#17]
Columbia sucks dicks.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 1:17:51 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

There's your first mistake. You clearly did not do your homework on that one! LOL!!
View Quote
Columbia bad heat and humidity!!!!!! I'm from Augusta (west of Col). A band from Macon thru Augusta and Columbia is just AWFUL in the summer!
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 8:41:54 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

tea gets sugar and ice.
View Quote
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 8:50:46 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 8:54:37 PM EDT
[#21]
Can't speak for Simpsonville, but Beaufort Co. specifically Bluffton is nice. COL is higher in Bluffton than the rest of the county but the public schools are better. With that said, if I didn't have kids I'd live in Beaufort or one of the surrounding counties. Beaufort has more of a "hometown" feel. The history of the area is awesome.

There's always some event going on the weekends between Beaufort, Bluffton, Hilton Head, and Savannah. Never a dull moment with those four, plus the beach. Fishing is great, crabbing, boating, insert other water activities.  Haven't been hunting here. I go to Ga for that with friends and family.

Weather is great with the occasional Hurricane, Matthew got us pretty damn good. Wasn't as bad as some of the other states that were hit. Been a little wet here lately though.

With your credentials I don't think you'd have a hard time getting a job in the area.

I've lived in five states and seven cities. I plan on dying here God willing.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 9:29:54 PM EDT
[#22]
If you know what's good for you will learn to love mustard-based BBQ.

Link Posted: 7/9/2017 2:39:51 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Deer hunting sucks monkey balls, but that's the only thing I lost moving here from new Yorkistan. The lifestyle here and quality of life is awesome, so I gained tremendously there by moving here. .
View Quote
Deer hunting is great in SC, we may not have the size of deer the northern states do but theres still plenty of 130-150 class bucks being killed every year. An August 15th to January 1st season it great.

Fishing is exceptional wether it be freshwater or saltwater, there is good inshore saltwater fishing and we aren't far from the gulf stream. Tons of great bass fishing on public lakes and rivers as well.

Just remember it's a different world down here compared to a lot of states, we like sweet tea, college football and most everyone has mud tires and dog boxes in there trucks.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top