Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/4/2016 8:01:12 PM EDT
I posted a similar question in the Utah forum. My son is interested in the civil engineering programs at the University of Idaho. He’s my oldest and the first to head off to college. He’s a good kid, solid grades and “right” thinking. He has grown up in semi-rural Ohio and enjoys the outdoors. He wants to do the either the Navy or Army ROTC program. We have done all the normal research and are going out for a campus tour later this month, first to the U of Utah then driving up to the U of Idaho.. The wife and I are a little concerned about him going to college so far away but he functions well on his own.

Has anyone here attended the university, particularly the civil engineering program? What’s the street view of the college and is there anything we should pay attention to during the visit? Any interesting places around campus to eat or things we should see within walking distance of campus.

Link Posted: 10/4/2016 11:40:17 PM EDT
[#1]
U of I is a good school. Very greek. I don't know anything about that program though. North Idaho has lots of hunting and fishing opportunities, but so does Utah.
Link Posted: 10/5/2016 12:04:45 AM EDT
[#2]
I went to UofI. One of my room mates did civil engineering and the other did chemical engineering for the Navy ROTC. I'm not smart enough to know much about those programs though. I thought it was a great campus, very small and centered so you can walk from one end to the other without crossing major streets etc. Also lots of cool old architecture and more small feel to it.

There isn't much around except farmland and mountain wilderness (which also appealed to me). It has a bit of a party school reputation, mostly I think because there isn't too much else to do (except like I said camping, shooting, etc). Food is fairly generic but there is a cool Hawaiin BBQ joint called Loco Grinz near the north end of town - my wife and I enjoy eating there.

Other than eating take your time walking around campus. Seek out the oldest buildings and pay attention to the gargoyles, designs etc. There's a lot of history on that campus (at least in terms of what Idaho can offer - obviously it's not as old as some colleges further east).

I would offer to get you in touch with my former room mates but I haven't talked with them in years and an email would be just a shot in the dark - I'm willing to try if you have something specific you want to know. We aren't on bad terms or anything, just drifted apart. Good luck and enjoy the trip! Let me know if you are curious about anything else. I went to school there 4 years and my wife grew up there so she's kind of an expert.
Link Posted: 10/10/2016 8:32:01 PM EDT
[#3]
U of I grad in the engineering program. A few decades ago though. Great outdoors and fishing/hunting nearby. Decent to very good instructors and program. Campus has grown since then. Visit and make sure you hit CD's BBQ out the Troy hwy. very pro 2nd amendment. Moscow is land of fruit and nuts as are most college campuses but still has its Idaho roots.
Link Posted: 10/12/2016 2:40:07 PM EDT
[#4]
I grew up in Moscow and it is a great town, like others have said lots of outdoor activity.

I live in PA now, but my youngest daughter goes to the U of I, she is in her second year and loves it out there. She is in the large animal program.

She has pretty much moved out there now as she will not be coming home over summer break.
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 11:49:29 PM EDT
[#5]
My nephew graduated from the civil engineering program and has done well. It seems to be a great school. I've lived in Moscow about a year and a half now and we love it. Zero crime. Town has a great vibe. Yes there are plenty of liberals around, but lots of conservatives too. Eat at the Breakfast Club for breakfast, CDs BBQ (10% discount for open carriers), Humble Burger or Moscow Ale House for lunch, and Nectar or Mailina's for dinner and you will waddle home with a big smile on your face. Seriously...lots of good restaurants in town. Lots of outdoor activities. Mountain biking trails on Moscow Mountain are world class. Fishing, shooting, hunting on public land.

Biggest drawback is lack of shopping in town (so says my wife).

Enjoy your visit.
Link Posted: 11/1/2016 9:04:14 PM EDT
[#6]
We are back from the big trip to University of Idaho (after visiting the U of U). The drive up from SLC was great. We spent the night in McCall then got up early and drove on to Moscow which was absolutely a beautiful drive. I had never been up into that part of the country and some parts are breath taking.

The campus was nice and the tour was very informative and with only 5 kids there was great interaction with the guides. He got some face time with professors and the Naval ROTC advisor (which was very helpful).

Moscow appears to be a nice town and we ate at a place called the Breakfast Club (really good) and a BBQ place (excellent). We didn't pick up much liberal BS for a college town.

Idaho is now his #1 choice but we need to see how the $$ and scholarships work out.  

Link Posted: 11/12/2016 9:38:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Sorry I didnt see this sooner.. Im currently at UI studying mechanical engineering.

Lots of hunting, 30 mile drive for salmon/steelhead fishing.

This town is VERY liberal... I got screamed at for putting a Larue "God bless our troops, especially our snipers" sticker on my laptop.  Aparrently some girl felt I supported the murder of women and children.
Link Posted: 12/15/2016 3:34:46 PM EDT
[#8]
U of I is a great school. Paid my own way through college, 4 years of AFROTC, and 18 years later I'm 2 years away from retiring from the USAF. Spent 3 of the 4 years in a fraternity. Great school, great location, plenty of hunting/fishing. He'll enjoy his time there.
Link Posted: 1/1/2017 7:58:05 PM EDT
[#9]
He got accepted, got some $$, now waiting to see how the NROTC scholarship goes..... It's #1 on his list but being out of state hurts. The campus was not nearly as liberal as most (all) of the other campuses we have toured.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top