Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/17/2008 7:30:07 PM EDT
There was plenty of interest for this in the other thread, so here's the plan:

Who: Any and all safe shooters.  All ages, genders, skill levels, and firearm types are welcome.
Here are the only restrictions for the rifle and handgun ranges as per HPSP:
1. No fully automatic firearms.
2. No 50 BMG.
3. No tracer ammo.
4. No AP ammo (armor piercing)
Also, please use discretion and judgment when bringing children.  If you are unsure, please call HPSP and ask.  I have seen everything but infants and toddlers there, but not necessarily shooting.  Youngsters and teens must be supervised.  They will not tolerate unsafe behavior by anyone, kids or adults.

What: Casual get together for plinking, target shooting, knowledge-sharing, food, and fun.

Where: Heartland Public Shooting Park, Grand Island, NE.  Details and directions are available at the website.  It is located on the grounds of the old Cornhusker Army Ammunition Plant near the Husker Harvest Days Site.

When: June 7th, 2008.  This is the first Saturday in June.  The 100-yard rifle and pistol range supposedly opens at 9:00am.  However, to accommodate those who may be driving long distances, let's figure on 11:45am for meet and greet, set up, and magazine loading.  Of course, you're welcome to show up early, especially if you want to enjoy the shotgun ranges.  

Rain Date: June 14th, 2008.

Cost: Admission to the rifle/pistol ranges is $5 for the day and includes one paper target.  Shotgun fees are on the website.  

This is also the weekend of the Grand Island Gun Show at Fonner Park.  Go to the show in the morning and go shooting at noon with your new purchase!

Dinner/supper will be at The Chicken Coop in downtown Grand Island.  Figure on meeting there around 5:45pm.  Grand Island is not a CCW-prohibited town and I don't believe the Coop is a 51% establishment, so if you want to carry and remain sober, you can.  This is a casual restaurant with pizza, burgers, wings, pulled pork, and brewed-on-site beer.  There is a municipal parking lot right across the street.

If you'll have family in tow that don't want to shoot all day, Island Oasis Water Park should be open and the Conestoga Mall and Stuhr Museum are very close by.  GI has plenty of lodging including Super 8, HoJo, Holiday Inn, and Comfort Inn.  The Chamber of Commerce Website will give you a better idea of what GI has to offer.

This is not formal.  You do not have to prepay, register, or RSVP.  However, if 20 people say they'll show up but only 3 actually do, it'll be a bit of a let down.

Pass this around to other boards, there's no reason to limit it to Arfcom.  I'll post it at THR and CCWNE.
Link Posted: 3/17/2008 9:36:42 PM EDT
[#1]
bump should  not be a problem to get off work
Link Posted: 3/17/2008 11:05:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Since I'm taking the week after that off for my honeymoon, I don't know if I can get that weekend off as well.
Link Posted: 3/18/2008 4:36:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Added GI Gun Show info...  Jun 7-8 at Fonner Park.  
Link Posted: 3/19/2008 3:03:39 AM EDT
[#4]
Dammit.

I'll be in South Dakota chasing 'eyes with dad.

Link Posted: 3/19/2008 5:38:48 AM EDT
[#5]
I'll be there.  Good plan coordinating with the Gun Show.
Link Posted: 3/19/2008 4:54:40 PM EDT
[#6]
I should be able to make it.
Link Posted: 3/19/2008 5:02:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Make sure you fellas post up some pics and show us KS boys how you do it up there.
Link Posted: 3/19/2008 5:19:33 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Make sure you fellas post up some pics and show us KS boys how you do it up there.

This is open to everyone, regardless of state.  I understand some parts of KS, CO, IA, SD, and WY are quite far from NE, but for those closer or who fancy a road trip, they are welcome.

(It is also being held at a public/municipal range, so we can't forbid anyone either! )
Link Posted: 3/19/2008 7:11:11 PM EDT
[#9]
I'll be there. (hell as close as I live, I don't really have an excuse not to show up.)
Link Posted: 3/19/2008 10:14:38 PM EDT
[#10]
Im gonna be there unless somethiing strange happens with work
Link Posted: 3/20/2008 8:47:21 AM EDT
[#11]
Are we all going to wear name tags

Hello My Name is
ralphie14
Link Posted: 3/20/2008 12:01:57 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Are we all going to wear name tags

What was Chazz Palminteri's line from Analyze This?
"...and I didn't think anyone here was into wearing f'ing name tags."

Link Posted: 3/27/2008 3:46:31 PM EDT
[#13]
Bump.
Link Posted: 3/31/2008 9:16:25 AM EDT
[#14]
Great Idea...Not sure if I can make it though...we have an addition to the family coming who is due around that time.
Link Posted: 4/9/2008 9:42:00 AM EDT
[#15]
I think I can make it, but I get married in July so I will have to check with the Mrs.

Norris
Link Posted: 4/17/2008 6:19:26 AM EDT
[#16]
Bump.
Link Posted: 4/22/2008 8:04:30 AM EDT
[#17]
Bump.
Link Posted: 5/6/2008 5:35:00 AM EDT
[#18]
Bump.
Link Posted: 5/13/2008 5:18:35 PM EDT
[#19]
no go for me with the new job

Link Posted: 5/18/2008 6:59:44 PM EDT
[#20]
Bump.
Link Posted: 5/21/2008 6:13:37 PM EDT
[#21]
Well, we're just a couple of weeks away!!!
We're still a go for this, right?
Link Posted: 5/22/2008 5:11:26 AM EDT
[#22]
My wife and I should be there, unless Something Bad happens.  I believe another friend of mine will be too.  Since there's no formal RSVP, we can't tell if there'll be 1, 10 or 100 people there.  

Any other folks sure they're coming?  
Link Posted: 5/27/2008 2:28:51 AM EDT
[#23]
Should be there, sounds like fun.
Link Posted: 5/27/2008 1:24:52 PM EDT
[#24]
I won't make it there, but will be set up at the gun show on Saturday. Will see you guys at the Coop though. We have one in Kearney, great place to eat, serves the yummiest beer made, Thunderhead Honey Wheat. If you haven't tried it, don't miss out on one of the finer things in life.

Come out to the show, moved back into the old building.
Link Posted: 5/31/2008 12:32:26 PM EDT
[#25]
As a reminder for those who may have missed it on the HPSP webpage: all firearms on the firing line MUST have an empty chamber indicator (chamber flag).  Heartland sells these at the Activity Center for $1 each in case you don't have them.

I figured we'll be at the 100-yard range most of the time.  I'm the short guy with the NY Mets baseball cap.
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 10:57:26 AM EDT
[#26]
I'd love to come out (and talk E85 strat ) but I'm going to be at a wedding in Florida.

Hope you guys have a blast though.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 6:14:19 AM EDT
[#27]
Forecast:
Saturday: Mostly sunny, with a high near 85.
Saturday Night: A chance of showers and thunderstorms. Partly cloudy, with a low around 66.

Sounds like we'll be good to go!  Rain today and tomorrow but clear on Friday so hopefully it won't be a mud pit.  They do have concrete sidewalks at the 100 yard range that cross the range at 25, 50, 75, and 100 yards.  
Link Posted: 6/16/2008 9:28:54 AM EDT
[#28]
So strat, give us an after action report.

sorry I couldn't make it, but I did win some money shooting trap in Ashland
Link Posted: 6/16/2008 5:19:06 PM EDT
[#29]
Fluff, jlficken, rangers_buzz, and a friend of jlficken's made it out to the range.  There were at least two other guys there shooting black rifles already who had no idea there was an Arfcom shoot going on.  Oberst from CCWNE came out briefly but did not shoot.

THR member 20_nickels met us at The Chicken Coop which was probably the better part of the day.  Not many folks showed up so it was kinda lame.  I did get some good tips from rangers_buzz on my rifle stance and all three beers I had at the coop were awesome!
Link Posted: 6/17/2008 6:50:47 PM EDT
[#30]
well, Its too bad the attendance wasn't better. I really want to get out there. now I have three AR's that need some long range love
Link Posted: 6/17/2008 11:59:43 PM EDT
[#31]
I was thinking that we should try this again sometime this summer. We might be able to deal with Bill a bit more this time. I would like to see more of the ranges open.  They have an area that they use for there cowboy action shooting and I think if we could use at least one of those we could do some tactical shooting which would make it kind of fun. Also if we work with Bill we might be able to get it advertised on the website and have RSO’s devoted specifically to the shoot.
Link Posted: 6/18/2008 1:10:01 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
I was thinking that we should try this again sometime this summer. We might be able to deal with Bill a bit more this time. I would like to see more of the ranges open.  They have an area that they use for there cowboy action shooting and I think if we could use at least one of those we could do some tactical shooting which would make it kind of fun. Also if we work with Bill we might be able to get it advertised on the website and have RSO’s devoted specifically to the shoot.

Great idea!  Thanks for volunteering!    
Link Posted: 6/18/2008 11:15:47 PM EDT
[#33]
height=8
Quoted:
height=8
Quoted:

Great idea!  Thanks for volunteering!  hing
Link Posted: 6/19/2008 8:35:01 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Great idea!  Thanks for volunteering!    

I wouldn't mind being a RSO for something like this as long as we had a decent turn out ( no less than 10 shooters).  If we could use one or a couple of the action pistol lanes we could run some drills. I'm not a shooting guru, but I think I do have a little knowledge to pass on from my time in the Army. I think the Key is working with Bill. We get him on our side then I think we have a shot at making this happen. I have also been meeting a lot of guys around here that have AR's but don't really get into it as much as we do so they aren't checking the sites. So if you want to do this let me know. I don't have the time to do it all but I would defiantly help a lot.

What about early September?  July and August are too hot, IMO, for action shooting outdoors.  This is also an issue since the action shooting ranges/berms do not have any type of cover like the 100 yard range does.
Link Posted: 6/19/2008 12:50:24 PM EDT
[#35]
IWhat about early September?  July and August are too hot, IMO, for action shooting outdoors.  This is also an issue since the action shooting ranges/berms do not have any type of cover like the 100 yard range does.

I don't see no cover as a problem. It doesn’t stop them from using it for Cowboy action, and if we did start a IDPA here, that is where they would have it as well. If it is a problem then we might be able to pick a certin time of day that they can let us in and hold out the other shooter until we are done… but again I don’t see it as a problem. I don't mind the heat but we would probably have a better turn out in late August early September. This would also give us plenty of time to set it up. I wouldn't go much later because people start thinking about hunting around this time and I become very busy and so does everyone else. Late August would be best for me. You wouldn't believe how many people did something to their firearm or it didn't do something quite right and they forget about it until the next season and then want it fixed ASAP, so they can sight in and start practicing. I think this is a problem for all gunsmiths and when there isn't that many of us it can make the hunting season become a bit stressful. So for all you readers remember this.... Get your guns in early why you still have a chance of getting it back before the next upcoming season... Don't forget about it until it is to late.

Link Posted: 7/2/2008 8:45:30 PM EDT
[#36]
Is there any updates for this ???

I would love to come and shoot some reactive steel targets ???

If I can help let me know....

FLUFF

Link Posted: 7/10/2008 12:23:32 AM EDT
[#37]
steel targets may be a problem with Bill. He hasn't allowed it in the past for rifles but it wouldn't hurt to ask.
Link Posted: 7/10/2008 10:11:00 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
steel targets may be a problem with Bill. He hasn't allowed it in the past for rifles but it wouldn't hurt to ask.

Unless you have some high $$$ steel, rifle bullets go right through them.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top