Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Iowa
Posted: 2/26/2015 12:30:34 PM EDT
Im ashamed to admit it, but since I don't know many of you here still, I've had to resort to TacTalk

[youtube]http://youtu.be/08kSncpUnUo [/youtube]

In all seriousness, i'd be interested in getting to meet some of you guys, and want to get more involved in IDPA or 3 gun type events.  I've never done anything like that, so if anyone were up for showing my the ropes, I would be more than happy to supply the booze.  

Link Posted: 2/26/2015 1:17:48 PM EDT
[#1]

Where are you from?

We're a pretty scattered group, but the biggest numbers seem to be out towards the central portion of the state. I'm northeast of Davenport.

Welcome to the crew!

Link Posted: 2/26/2015 3:04:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Ames here.  There's at least three IDPA/IPSC matches within  a 20 mile radius.  Ames, Boone, and Ankeny.  Osceola if you want to go south.  I believe there are a couple of circuits in the Waterloo area.

About all you have to do is show up.  Have a pistol, a holster, at least three mags, 100 rounds of ammo and eyes and ear pro.
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 4:06:45 PM EDT
[#3]
and USPSA out East: Indoors in CR, Palo, West Liberty, Waterloo. (And all the ranges AmesHerky listed )
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 4:39:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Sioux City area here.
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 5:31:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Ames here.  There's at least three IDPA/IPSC matches within  a 20 mile radius.  Ames, Boone, and Ankeny.  Osceola if you want to go south.  I believe there are a couple of circuits in the Waterloo area.

About all you have to do is show up.  Have a pistol, a holster, at least three mags, 100 rounds of ammo and eyes and ear pro.
View Quote

Sounds too easy!  I live in Norwalk, just south of DSM but work all over the place.  Ankeny would be an easy trek for an event.  I just joined up on IA Shooters.  Ill try and start paying some more attention to the calendar and come out sometime.
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 6:26:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
and USPSA out East: Indoors in CR, Palo, West Liberty, Waterloo. (And all the ranges AmesHerky listed )
View Quote

Did the indoor range at West Liberty get rebuilt?  I thought they had a fire there a while ago.  

Nice range, shot there a time or two when I lived in IC.
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 6:30:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Sounds too easy!  I live in Norwalk, just south of DSM but work all over the place.  Ankeny would be an easy trek for an event.  I just joined up on IA Shooters.  Ill try and start paying some more attention to the calendar and come out sometime.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

USPA is second Saturday, IDPA is third Saturday.  

www.ankenyikes.org.

www.amesikes.org
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 6:59:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Did the indoor range at West Liberty get rebuilt?  I thought they had a fire there a while ago.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, it's still a concrete shell/mosquito breeding grounds, but they hold their outdoor shoots there and usually have a pretty nice course of fire. For indoors, I was talking about Eastern Iowa Practical Shooters. They have shoots in Midwest's new building in Hiawatha.

I almost stopped in to see (stalk) you the other day. Went out to see Lee Van B. out on the clays course while you guys were practicing.
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 7:01:54 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

there are some guys in the neighborhood that shoot down at the winterset club.  they seem to like it too.  i hear good things about the ankeny ikes with some leaning towards being cliquey...  same at the ames ikes, but that can be only as much of a pita as you allow it.
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 8:47:13 PM EDT
[#10]
If you hit up the Ankeny Ike's let me know I'll go I didn't go much due to it was very close group of people and I always felt like odd man out
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 1:16:32 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Sioux City area here.
View Quote

x2
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 10:54:40 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

No, it's still a concrete shell/mosquito breeding grounds, but they hold their outdoor shoots there and usually have a pretty nice course of fire. For indoors, I was talking about Eastern Iowa Practical Shooters. They have shoots in Midwest's new building in Hiawatha.

I almost stopped in to see (stalk) you the other day. Went out to see Lee Van B. out on the clays course while you guys were practicing.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I stop out at ISU Trap and Skeet quite a bit.  Rifle and Pistol shoots Wednesday, Thursday is public night.  You should see the new indoor range.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 11:12:42 AM EDT
[#13]
If you want to come shoot USPSA with us down in Osceola (35mi south of Norwalk) let me know.

Doesn't even have to be on a match day, a buddy of mine and I tend to do practice days when there isn't a match.  We could set up a stage and go through the basics.

AIPS at the Ankeny Ikes is a good friendly crew to shoot with too, but as they usually have 30+ people every match it might be a little overwhelming for a newbie.  But if you get into it, you should definitely shoot there.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 12:43:58 PM EDT
[#14]
I've seen a few BFL's in SW Iowa, but rarely a poster from this side of the state
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 1:08:51 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

x2
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Sioux City area here.

x2

You guys know of any idpa or pistol type comps.  I have been working on my skills and sioux city isn't a terrible drive.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 1:46:14 PM EDT
[#16]
West Des Moines here
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 2:58:23 PM EDT
[#17]
Join the 3 gun iowa group on FB, It's taking off and most events should be getting posted there as they come up.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 3:28:10 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Join the 3 gun iowa group on FB, It's taking off and most events should be getting posted there as they come up.
View Quote

I second this...

Link Posted: 2/28/2015 1:02:22 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I second this...

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I second this...

Just joined. Thanks guys.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 5:37:01 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I've seen a few BFL's in SW Iowa, but rarely a poster from this side of the state
View Quote

I am from SW Iowa but don't post often.  
Do you know of any IDPA/USPCA type events locally as I have not heard of any?
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 7:02:00 PM EDT
[#21]
Not sure exactly where you're at in SW Iowa, but ENPS might be your best bet. https://www.facebook.com/pages/Eastern-Nebraska-Practical-Shooters-ENPS/157092726011
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 7:53:37 PM EDT
[#22]
I am In Norwalk too.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 10:43:04 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

You guys know of any idpa or pistol type comps.  I have been working on my skills and sioux city isn't a terrible drive.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Sioux City area here.

x2

Nick, looks like Hawkeye gun club does idpa. I know there is a newer pistol range that opened not long ago here. It's called The Yards. I don't know if they have matches or not.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 9:32:06 PM EDT
[#24]
I'm 15 minutes up the road from you, on the south side.  I'd go shooting with you.

Maybe you can teach me the nuances of bidding on land.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 12:56:42 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

there are some guys in the neighborhood that shoot down at the winterset club.  they seem to like it too.  i hear good things about the ankeny ikes with some leaning towards being cliquey...  same at the ames ikes, but that can be only as much of a pita as you allow it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

CIPS just had their last match in Winterset. The sportsman's club has been under pressure and kicked out the pistol guys. They should be up and running near Redfield in a couple months when dirt work is done.

Still my favorite pistol club.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 1:07:09 AM EDT
[#26]
I'm moving back to Iowa later this year, after living in WA state since about 2008. Looking forward to moving closer to my home-state, nearer to old friends and family again.

Also, would love to see some better ranges. I grew up in Camanche (next to Clinton), this '3 gun' stuff does look interesting. I really would like to see more 'tactical' type ranges become available...
Page Hometown » Iowa
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top