Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Iowa
Posted: 4/15/2014 3:58:17 PM EDT
So I work in Iowa during the week and just received my IL carry permit.  Reading over the IA law, it appears that you are not allowed to carry on or within 1000ft of a school or public park.  

Two questions.

Is this ANY public park?  Or just one that is part of a school?
Secondly, the 1000ft rule, does that apply if you are passing by?  For example, if I walk my dog across the street from the school, and am only walking by/not staying, does this make it illegal to carry?

Any other tips would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 6:24:45 PM EDT
[#1]
We just had this debate on the IFC FB group.  This is Iowa's law:

724.4A Weapons free zones--enhanced penalties.
1. As used in this section, "weapons free zone" means the area in or on, or within one thousand
feet of, the real property comprising a public or private elementary or secondary school, or in or
on the real property comprising a public park. A weapons free zone shall not include that portion
of a public park designated as a hunting area under section 461A.42.
2. Notwithstanding sections 902.9 and 903.1, a person who commits a public offense involving
a firearm or offensive weapon, within a weapons free zone, in violation of this or any other
chapter shall be subject to a fine of twice the maximum amount which may otherwise be
imposed for the public offense.

724.4B Carrying weapons on school  grounds--penalty--exceptions.
1. A person who goes armed with, carries, or transports a firearm of any kind, whether
concealed or not, on the grounds of a school commits a class "D" felony. For the purposes of this
section, "school" means a public or nonpublic school as defined in section 280.2.
2. Subsection 1 does not apply to the following:
a. A person listed under section 724.4, subsection 4, paragraphs "b" through "f" or "j".
b. A person who has been specifically authorized by the school to go armed, carry, or transport a
firearm on the school grounds, including for purposes of conducting an instructional program
regarding firearms.
View Quote

"Weapons free zone" in 724.4A is a feel-good name for an enhanced penalty zone. It's like enhanced penalties in construction zones.  You have to actually break the law for it to apply, and carrying a gun in the "weapons free zone" is not a crime.

724.4B does provide that, with limited exceptions, carrying a firearm on school grounds is a class D felony.

But this is all state law.  There is something else at play here, and that is the federal Gun-Free School Zones Act or GFSZA.

The GFSZA carves out an exception for folks who have been issued a permit by the state that the school is in.  Note that this doesn't include reciprocity between states - you have to actually have an Iowa permit to qualify for the exception in Iowa, and the same would go for Illinois.  Iowa does not issue non-resident permits, so you're SOL in that regard.

In all of my research, however, the federal GFSZA is rarely if ever enforced on people just passing through.  This isn't D.C., you really need to be doing something pretty stupid and it's probably just getting tacked on.  I'm sure I've inadvertently run afoul of the law hundreds of times when travelling in other states.  But IANAL YMMV BBQ etc.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 8:20:39 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
So I work in Iowa during the week and just received my IL carry permit.  Reading over the IA law, it appears that you are not allowed to carry on or within 1000ft of a school or public park.  

Two questions.

Is this ANY public park?  Or just one that is part of a school?
Secondly, the 1000ft rule, does that apply if you are passing by?  For example, if I walk my dog across the street from the school, and am only walking by/not staying, does this make it illegal to carry?

Any other tips would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
View Quote

Spart beat me to it, but it is pretty simple.

It is illegal to carry a firearm on the grounds of a school. It is a class D felony. Worse yet, under federal law, the potential $5000 fine and 5 years in prison(not concurrent with anything else) make Iowa law look lax.

Under Iowa law, it is not illegal to carry a gun within 1000 yards of a school or park. However, if you commit a public offense, you may be subject to paying twice the penalty(a $75 fine would be $150 find instead). Your example is one of a perfectly legal situation under Iowa law.

Federal law makes no exceptions for those traveling in states where a non-resident permit is not available. There is a small group of people who will argue about what it means to be licensed by a state(Is a license a physical object, a granting of permission, both?) With the way the federal law is written, with license being used as a verb, it seems logical to think of it as a permission, but someone will have to gain standing in court(by risking both serving time in prison and becoming a prohibited person afterwards) to challenge it to find out the answer to that questions because I highly doubt we will get an opinion worth much by petition.

if the individual possessing the firearm is licensed to do so by the State in which the school zone is located or a political subdivision of the State, and the law of the State or political subdivision requires that, before an individual obtains such a license, the law enforcement authorities of the State or political subdivision verify that the individual is qualified under law to receive the license
View Quote
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 9:47:08 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks guys.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 9:47:24 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It is illegal to carry a firearm on the grounds of a school. It is a class D felony.
View Quote

Note that this only applies to firearms which are not unloaded and encased in accordance with Iowa Code, and does not apply to magazines nor ammo -- only the firearm.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 1:30:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Note that this only applies to firearms which are not unloaded and encased in accordance with Iowa Code, and does not apply to magazines nor ammo -- only the firearm.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It is illegal to carry a firearm on the grounds of a school. It is a class D felony.

I had a feeling you were going to beat me to this.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 3:22:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
There is a small group of people who will argue about what it means to be licensed by a state(Is a license a physical object, a granting of permission, both?)
View All Quotes
Quoted:
There is a small group of people who will argue about what it means to be licensed by a state(Is a license a physical object, a granting of permission, both?)

They are wrong because of this particular bit from the chunk of code you quoted:

if the individual possessing the firearm is licensed to do so by the State in which the school zone is located or a political subdivision of the State, and the law of the State or political subdivision requires that, before an individual obtains such a license, the law enforcement authorities of the State or political subdivision verify that the individual is qualified under law to receive the license
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 6:07:38 PM EDT
[#7]
This is a good conversation.

The hard cards issued by Story county declare that you CANNOT carry in a public park or within 1,000 feet of a school.  On the back of said card it states:

Per Iowa Code Section 724.4A, This permit is invalid in a "Weapons Free Zone."  That is "...the area in or on, or within 1,000 feet of, the real property comprising a public or private elementary or secondary school, or in or on the real property comprising a public park."
View Quote

Note the "This permit is invalid", insinuating that you have no right to carry within the boundaries described.  Might Fitzgerald be full of crap?  Any lawyers in the house?
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 8:15:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

The hard cards issued by Story county declare that you CANNOT carry in a public park or within 1,000 feet of a school.  On the back of said card it states:

Note the "This permit is invalid", insinuating that you have no right to carry within the boundaries described.  Might Fitzgerald be full of crap?  Any lawyers in the house?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Per Iowa Code Section 724.4A, This permit is invalid in a "Weapons Free Zone."  That is "...the area in or on, or within 1,000 feet of, the real property comprising a public or private elementary or secondary school, or in or on the real property comprising a public park."

No lawyer but it clearly states you have to commit an offense WITH the firearm in this area for anything to happen.

724.4A  WEAPONS FREE ZONES -- ENHANCED PENALTIES.
        1.  As used in this section, "weapons free zone" means the
     area in or on, or within one thousand feet of, the real property
     comprising a public or private elementary or secondary school, or in
     or on the real property comprising a public park.  A weapons free
     zone shall not include that portion of a public park designated as a
     hunting area under section 461A.42.
        2.  Notwithstanding sections 902.9 and 903.1, a person who commits
     a public offense involving a firearm or offensive weapon, within a
     weapons free zone, in violation of this or any other chapter shall be
     subject to a fine of twice the maximum amount which may otherwise be
     imposed for the public offense.  

I admit I don't know this but I thought they couldn't put restrictions on permits now but I couldn't find anything to prove it.

Edit:

According to the FAQ from the Iowa DPS

QUESTION: Can my permit be restricted?
ANSWER: No. Permits issued after January 1, 2011, are valid statewide and cannot be further restricted by the issuing officer. All carry permits and permits to acquire pistols or revolvers are invalid when the permit holder is intoxicated. This is defined as any one of the following: 1) while under the influence of an alcoholic beverage or other drug or a combination of such substances, 2) while having an alcohol concentration of .08 or more, or 3) while any amount of a controlled substance is present in the person, as measured in the person's blood or urine.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 8:23:40 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Who is from story county and wants to file a lawsuit because their sheriff is breaking the law?
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 2:51:55 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Who is from story county and wants to file a lawsuit because their sheriff is breaking the law?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

sounds like something to contact IFC over
they stated that when the law took effect they wanted to be informed about this kind of crap so they could take action and put the defiant sheriffs in their place.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 10:47:12 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

I say this with the most seriousness I can manage: HOLY FUCK. Is Sheriff Paul Fitzgerald ( https://www.storycountyiowa.gov/index.aspx?nid=112 )
A) Too incompetent at reading comprehension to understand the laws he is sworn to enforce
B) Intentionally violating his OATH OF OFFICE to misconstrue what the law says?
C) Abdicating his duty and allowing someone else below him to pull this crap

Those really are the only options. This should be sufficient for a State Police investigation into him, and possible removal from office.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 12:40:08 PM EDT
[#12]
I hope someone has written the DPS on this or called attention to begin to do something about it. This is the kinda crap we fought so hard for to put an end to. The sheriff up there was one of the more restrict ones and against the law and we cannot get complainant and let stuff like this slip.back in.

I can't help to wonder how many permit holders from that county take it verbatim and believe it is a restriction?

My guess is the sheriff is being arrogant and risking no one would call him on it. In the meantime he gets his way and is able to add his 2 cents on how he thinks it should be.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 1:09:48 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I hope someone has written the DPS on this or called attention to begin to do something about it. This is the kinda crap we fought so hard for to put an end to. The sheriff up there was one of the more restrict ones and against the law and we cannot get complainant and let stuff like this slip.back in.

I can't help to wonder how many permit holders from that county take it verbatim and believe it is a restriction?

My guess is the sheriff is being arrogant and risking no one would call him on it. In the meantime he gets his way and is able to add his 2 cents on how he thinks it should be.
View Quote

IowaJack -

If I'm not mistaken, you're on the IFC board.  Would you mind discussing this further with me?  I hold one of these Story County permits.  I would like to address this, but want to do it right.

I'll also PM you.

Link Posted: 4/17/2014 1:42:32 PM EDT
[#14]
I just put in a call to our contact at DPS and will follow up on this for you.

This interpretation by the Story County Sheriff's office is absolutely incorrect. If I lived there and carried that permit, I would absolutely ignore it! But, that's me. Just because it's printed on your permit does not make it law. Even a sloppy reading of the code (included in a post above) will indicate that this is an enhanced penalty zone and not a true weapons free zone. I suppose we should keep in mind that the sheriff in question was also one of the notable reasons why May Issue was such a problem in Iowa. I once heard that he refused to issue a permit to a resident of his county who was an active LEO in an adjoining county. That's hard core anti-gun!
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 2:41:34 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

IowaJack -

If I'm not mistaken, you're on the IFC board.  Would you mind discussing this further with me?  I hold one of these Story County permits.  I would like to address this, but want to do it right.

I'll also PM you.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

IowaJack -

I'll also PM you.

I am not of the Board but I am the founder and still help out as much as possible. I will be glad to help with this also but I think from the replies John has written the DPS. Lets see what their reply is and go from there.

The Sheriff in question used to only issue permits for going to and from gun shows and other restricted BS reasons.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 2:50:03 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

My guess is the DPS won't do anything, and will respond that it isn't their place to moderate the sheriffs.  When I contacted them about Polk County charging more than Iowa Code prescribed for permit fees, I received the following  chunk of text from Sam Knowles that will probably apply in a similar manner in this situation too:

The Iowa Department of Public Safety does not have the authority under the Iowa Code or the Iowa Administrative Code to issue binding interpretations or to otherwise resolve disputes that may arise regarding the fees charged for carry permits.  Iowa DPS authority on these matters is limited to implementing the provisions of the law in relation to permits issued by the DPS.

(I can post the entire email if better context is needed, but you will most likely get the gist.)
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 3:00:22 PM EDT
[#17]
If this is the case and DPS refuses to act then I would say the next action would be a letter or communication with the Sheriff to get his reasoning

After that then I would say we need some with a Story Co. permit to file a complaint with an Administrative law judge and make the Sheriff answer to why he is De Facto restricting permits
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 4:09:36 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I just put in a call to our contact at DPS and will follow up on this for you.

This interpretation by the Story County Sheriff's office is absolutely incorrect. If I lived there and carried that permit, I would absolutely ignore it! But, that's me. Just because it's printed on your permit does not make it law. Even a sloppy reading of the code (included in a post above) will indicate that this is an enhanced penalty zone and not a true weapons free zone. I suppose we should keep in mind that the sheriff in question was also one of the notable reasons why May Issue was such a problem in Iowa. I once heard that he refused to issue a permit to a resident of his county who was an active LEO in an adjoining county. That's hard core anti-gun!
View Quote

Thanks, John.  Appreciate it.

I should have known this was wrong because Steve never mentioned it in his class!

Let me know if you need anything from me.

Link Posted: 4/17/2014 8:29:25 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
If this is the case and DPS refuses to act then I would say the next action would be a letter or communication with the Sheriff to get his reasoning

After that then I would say we need some with a Story Co. permit to file a complaint with an Administrative law judge and make the Sheriff answer to why he is De Facto restricting permits
View Quote

Jeez make us DPS sound like bad guys or something.  Not refusing old boy, simply can't do what the code hasn't been written to allow us too.  The plastic permit isn't even a legal document, the white paper one is.  Does it say that on the white copy too?
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 4:13:31 AM EDT
[#20]
I believe the wallet card is a recognized document. It was added to the Administrative code several years ago and is the form WP9

661—91.2(724) Forms. The following forms, the use of which is required by provisions of this chapter, are provided by the commissioner to Iowa sheriffs:
1. Form WP1. Professional Permit to Carry Weapons
2. Form WP2. Nonprofessional Permit to Carry Weapons
3. Form WP3. Application for Annual Permit to Acquire Pistols or Revolvers
4. Form WP4. Annual Permit to Acquire Pistols or Revolvers
5. Form WP5. Application for Permit to Carry Weapons
6. Form WP6. Revocation/Cancellation of Permit to Carry/Permit to Acquire Weapons
7. Form WP7. Certified Peace Officer Permit to Carry Weapons
8. Form WP8. Reserve Peace Officer Permit to Carry Weapons
9. Form WP9. Authorization for Wallet-Size Permit to Carry Weapons, to be generated by the issuing officer including the type of permit, and, at a minimum, the individual identifiers of name and date of birth. A professional permit to carry weapons shall state the nature of employment requiring the holder to go armed.

Link Posted: 4/18/2014 5:57:01 AM EDT
[#21]

I spoke with Ross Loder at DPS after reading this thread. He called Story County to have a talk on this.and called me back this morning. This is what they said.

Story County had been only making paper permits at first, but got into the cards later. After issuing several permits, the messaging on the back was discovered, which they knew to be in error according to code, so they got different cards. They profess that they don't know how that messaging got on the back. So, there are an undetermined number of cards that have that, but they acknowledge that the restriction isn't consistent with the code and that they can't make that restriction on their own.

While the story sounds a bit fishy to me, the end result is that what is on the back is meaningless, in their opinion. However, I don't find it quite that benign. It could get someone delayed or detained -- especially in another state. So, if I had one of these permits, I'd politely make arrangements with Story County to issue me a new one.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 6:06:56 AM EDT
[#22]
Yeah, perhaps a bit fishy

In the post over on the IFC forums a member over there contacted Story Co. and the woman stated that is was in Iowa Code and acknowledged putting it on there. She also stated that the card was designed by a Lt. Don Ellis.  So was it intentional and di they just now get called on it?d

Thanks John for the work on this and I am glad to hear it was hopefully  a temp thing.

I agree I would get my permit replaced if it had this on there. I also think we should try to get the word out on the BS wording in order to help set people straight and hopefully keep people out of trouble and safe.  I wonder if they would replace the cards for free with the same expiration date or if they will require a renewal replacement ?
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 8:23:34 AM EDT
[#23]
Positive action at work.  If you went to IGO (Iowa Gun Owners) with this, they'd be running an email smear campaign right now and asking for cash at the end of the email.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 10:22:52 AM EDT
[#24]
I went over to the Sheriff's office over lunch.  They seemed to know what I wanted before I even said anything.  I guess they've been getting some phone calls.

Got a new card for free.  All the language on the back has been removed.

Thanks everyone!  Spread the word to your friends in Story county in case they have one of the offending cards.

Link Posted: 4/18/2014 11:19:41 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I went over to the Sheriff's office over lunch.  They seemed to know what I wanted before I even said anything.  I guess they've been getting some phone calls.

Thanks everyone!  Spread the word to your friends in Story county in case they have one of the offending cards.

View Quote

Outstanding!
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 11:40:04 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Positive action at work.  If you went to IGO (Iowa Gun Owners) with this, they'd be running an email smear campaign right now and asking for cash at the end of the email.
View Quote

Spart you are 100% right. Instead of making it into a money making scheme a well contacted and respected member solved the issue, in what, a day(?). All it took was a few phone calls and done.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 11:48:10 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I believe the wallet card is a recognized document. It was added to the Administrative code several years ago and is the form WP9

View Quote

There are still counties either not doing plastic or not doing it the right way.

WP9 is not a plastic permit.  There is no standard format for a plastic permit (PROBLEM!!!).  WP9 is a checklist that says if you have this, this, this, and this on your card you can use it as a permit...

Bottom line is if you want to be legal-legal, carry your white paper, especially when travelling out of state so when an officer looks up what an Iowa permit looks like you have the proper document with you.

Glad they fixed the Story county nonsense...
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 1:10:13 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Bottom line is if you want to be legal-legal, carry your white paper, especially when travelling out of state so when an officer looks up what an Iowa permit looks like you have the proper document with you.
View Quote

Not all counties offer white paper, unless Polk has changed in the last couple of years.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 4:48:03 PM EDT
[#29]

There are two possible solutions which are both 'out there' and under consideration that will fix all these permit makeup problems. Polk County, and perhaps others that I'm not aware of, is testing out a permit management software that will, if implemented across the state, standardize all permits as a hard card and the software will make them all look the same and contain the same information -- in the same way drivers licenses are all exactly alike no matter the county. This was revealed to us just before the legislative session started so we haven't had a good opportunity to look it over although I've been invited by Capt. Knight from Polk County to come by for a 'tour' whenever I get the chance. The other solution would involve moving the whole permit process to the DPS office. This would take legislation to accomplish, but should be a slam-dunk since DPS is not opposing it and several of the sheriffs have asked for it. I don't know for sure which, if either, way this will go but hopefully all this nonsense will be put behind us relatively soon. People are looking for answers.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 5:33:12 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Not all counties offer white paper, unless Polk has changed in the last couple of years.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They don't have a choice, it's the law, period. Plastic is an option available for more money. Paper MUST be issued if requested (unless they want to offer plastic for the proscribed $50, then it may pass legal muster depending on how the DPS has written the rules).
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 6:00:20 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Polk County, and perhaps others that I'm not aware of, is testing out a permit management software that will, if implemented across the state, standardize all permits as a hard card and the software will make them all look the same and contain the same information -- in the same way drivers licenses are all exactly alike no matter the county.
View Quote

As I recall, some states are not honoring IA permits because there is not a system in place to verify the permits.  Does this address that?
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 6:12:26 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

They don't have a choice, it's the law, period. Plastic is an option available for more money. Paper MUST be issued if requested (unless they want to offer plastic for the proscribed $50, then it may pass legal muster depending on how the DPS has written the rules).
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

it being the law, period, or not, walking out with a $50 paper permit is going to require more than a trip to the sheriff's office and telling them what is written in IA code.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 7:30:46 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

As I recall, some states are not honoring IA permits because there is not a system in place to verify the permits.  Does this address that?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Polk County, and perhaps others that I'm not aware of, is testing out a permit management software that will, if implemented across the state, standardize all permits as a hard card and the software will make them all look the same and contain the same information -- in the same way drivers licenses are all exactly alike no matter the county.

I don't know. That's not likely a part of the system if it stays at the individual sheriffs offices. It may be part of moving it to DPS though. These are things that are still formative. I'm sorry, I just don't know yet. I do know that there is an aversion among some in the permit holder community and even DPS about building a data base of the permit data. There is a fear of it being abused and used as a registration scheme at some point. Lots of stuff to consider and ti's still very early in the game on this. It takes some time and careful consideration when you're messing with gun laws.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 8:17:32 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

it being the law, period, or not, walking out with a $50 paper permit is going to require more than a trip to the sheriff's office and telling them what is written in IA code.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Administrative Law Judge. Free aside from your time, and should result in a fairly clear wrist slap for the law-breaking sheriff.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 11:22:35 PM EDT
[#35]
2am response was more snarky than intended so I deleted it.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 9:09:38 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote

Very cool, i am glad this worked out. I don't know if the wording and placement on the cards was intentional but hopefully it let the SO know that people are watching and BS wont be tolerated. .
Page Hometown » Iowa
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top