Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Iowa
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 4/8/2014 7:52:13 AM EDT
What's the point? I might understand a very large city (LA, Chicago, NY etc.) but seven in Iowa? Not even in the most populated counties...

http://www.desmoinesregister.com/story/news/local/kyle-munson/2014/04/05/munson-heavy-duty-military-equipment-police/7337463/
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 8:06:32 AM EDT
[#1]
But, but, but they are FREE!

Other than that I will keep my yap shut on this whole situation as I may violate some rules here.
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 8:17:10 AM EDT
[#2]
Our dept just got one. Not really sure why.
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 8:37:15 AM EDT
[#3]
Most if not all departments get them is because they are free and someone has a great idea in utilizing them, in reality most of them will be either in a parade or sitting in a storage building.
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 10:07:59 AM EDT
[#4]
well hell, since oshkosh gave them to the military, and the military gave them to le, why doesn't oshkosh just save a step and give one to me?

oh wait, they aren't fucking FREE...

the department may not write a check for them, but you can bet your ass there are hooks in it.  and i can assure the tax payers in the other 750,000 communities in the country all paid a little towards them.  do we have any business TAKING their tax money for our mrap?  nope.  does uncle sam have any business taking ours to buy overpriced shit and giving it to others?  nope.

not only are they worthless as shit in most conditions nonurban, but i'll laugh my ass off while taking camera phone pics of the first time some goof drives one of these into a soft field and buries it to the frame...  ...and that is a darned likely scenario too.  these things are heavy and otherwise not too useful.  ask yourself why uncle sam is giving away perfectly good equipment and a logical answer forms.
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 10:44:48 AM EDT
[#5]
When they are done they have to give them back. Same with humvees. They can get cucvs and other federal equipment then sell it surplus when they are done with it.  

I hope they change it and I can pick one up cheap.
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 10:48:56 AM EDT
[#6]
Free is the just the magic word to make people feel okay about it. Of course as most things, look behind the veil and you will see it is not.

As a tax payer you have already paid for this at the federal level. As a tax payer you are still going to pay for this with upkeep and training. Add to the fact that unlike the military using these with centerlize training and maintenance shops, your local sheriff is going to have to pay a hefty cost for parts, labor and training.

Where oh where do you think they will get the funding for that? grab a mirror.... I'll wait. Yup that person staring back at you is who.

This also opens the door to accidents happening with these things. Stuck in a soft field? Yes. Side swipe a parked car? Yes. Roll over? Yes All of these scenarios and more have happened, and that was while they were still in the military hands. These things have power steering, air brakes and can get up to a decent speed quickly enough that that have fooled trained drivers into thinking they are driving a much smaller vehicle.

Someone said above that it would more than likely get stored in a garage and used in parades. Now the county has taken over the cost to store these instead of the military. Parades? That is what makes me feel all warm, fuzzy and American is seeing a quasi tank rolling down main street while the cheerleaders walk around it chucking cady at people.

That is all without the question of why does a small agency such as a sheriffs office need one?
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 10:56:17 AM EDT
[#7]
I got to speak with one of our deputies the other night. I was asking him about it and what they had planned. He said they were going to use it as a SUPER rescue vehicle. Get to places in the winter where a normal ambulance couldn't. Last I knew they were that great of an offroad machine are they?  He also mentioned how they had to get with the county engineer and figure out where it could be driven and where it couldn't. Being as it weighs around 25 tons, some of the bridges and roads in the county can't support it...
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 11:11:13 AM EDT
[#8]
Rescue vehicle? BUHAHAHAHA!

Just because it is heavy and has a high ground clearance doesn't make it an all terrain vehicle. Just Google "Stuck MRAP" and you can find a ton of images and video for Iraq and Afghanistan. A HMMWV would be better option for a rescue vehicle in my mind not a multi ton bomb resistant vehicle.
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 12:17:02 PM EDT
[#9]
Yes, you're right, they aren't free.  The dept has to pay for the upkeep, insurance and whatever else they want to do with it.  Along with that, the depts have a bunch of rules to abide by and they can be called back into service whenever the DOD wishes.
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 12:21:30 PM EDT
[#10]
Well I feel better now he said this isn't about militarization of the police so we can come take peoples guns.  Why even mention that?

Oh...and if it saves just one life.

I'm naïve about these things...Are the tires bullet proof?
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 12:29:53 PM EDT
[#11]
There is no need for them and did I make it in before the butthurt?
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 1:44:31 PM EDT
[#12]
For the children.......of course
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 2:22:13 PM EDT
[#13]
This really is a joke Washington is a pretty small town and a very rural county. I grew up and lived in washington county most of my life. I guess when 99% of your calls are barking dogs we need to make sure our LEO's get there and back safely.
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 3:37:53 PM EDT
[#14]
I trained with Alliance PD and EAG and they have an armored personal carrier with tracks. They also use them for recovery tasks. It's not the large ones we are seeing lately. Here's a pic below

Link Posted: 4/8/2014 3:40:05 PM EDT
[#15]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I got to speak with one of our deputies the other night. I was asking him about it and what they had planned. He said they were going to use it as a SUPER rescue vehicle. Get to places in the winter where a normal ambulance couldn't. Last I knew they were that great of an offroad machine are they?  He also mentioned how they had to get with the county engineer and figure out where it could be driven and where it couldn't. Being as it weighs around 25 tons, some of the bridges and roads in the county can't support it...
View Quote

I found everything you just posted very humorous.
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 3:42:28 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I trained with Alliance PD and EAG and they have an armored personal carrier with tracks. They also use them for recovery tasks. It's not the large ones we are seeing lately. Here's a pic below

http://www.policestateusa.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/Tank_Alliance.png
View Quote

That's a M-113, it's a APC(armored personnel carrier) not an MRAP.  How often do they break track and perform maintenance? not every Monday I'll bet...

eta:  oh, that's one of my very favorite Army vics, but they won't even go past 40mph in a free-fall.
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 3:47:19 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

That's a M-113, it's a APC(armored personnel carrier) not an MRAP.  How often do they break track and perform maintenance? not every Monday I'll bet...

eta:  oh, that's one of my very favorite Army vics, but they won't even go past 40mph in a free-fall.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://www.policestateusa.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/Tank_Alliance.png

No clue but I see more use for that APC than the MRAP.
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 3:57:58 PM EDT
[#18]
I hope they are getting the corresponding roll over trainer to go with their new MRAPs...otherwise they have no chance of survival!
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 4:16:39 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I hope they are getting the corresponding roll over trainer to go with their new MRAPs...otherwise they have no chance of survival!
View Quote

I just youtubed videos of a roll over trainer and that looks like fun.
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 5:01:00 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Its fun like the first three times...

then its boring

then you get tired of holding the gunner

then the ammo can and fire extinguisher hit you and you want to go home
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 5:30:34 PM EDT
[#21]
Would have been awful handy three years ago when Sgt. Eric Stein was killed in Keokuk County, not saying it would have benefited him, but it would have other folks that responded.

Jamie Buenting?
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 6:26:29 PM EDT
[#22]
They are pointless and they'll never be used.  I look forward to paying for Halferty's new play toy.
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 9:50:23 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Would have been awful handy three years ago when Sgt. Eric Stein was killed in Keokuk County, not saying it would have benefited him, but it would have other folks that responded.

Jamie Buenting?
View Quote

Please don't attempt to introduce logic to these threads......
Link Posted: 4/9/2014 4:43:40 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
They are pointless and they'll never be used.  I look forward to paying for Halferty's new play toy.
View Quote

We won't be paying for it! They're free! I cant wait to see it buried in a ditch or field like stated before.
Link Posted: 4/9/2014 4:51:48 AM EDT
[#25]
Apparently they could have used them in the VEISHEA riot last night... like wtf, its Ames not Detroit.
Link Posted: 4/9/2014 5:25:58 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Apparently they could have used them in the VEISHEA riot last night... like wtf, its Ames not Detroit.
View Quote

Same stuff happened when I was an undergrad there. I remember the tear gas cloud hitting our dorm windows back in the day.
Link Posted: 4/9/2014 5:30:02 AM EDT
[#27]
I Googled "stuck MRAP" and found this... Looks like the Empire might be striking back.

Link Posted: 4/9/2014 7:50:52 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I Googled "stuck MRAP" and found this... Looks like the Empire might be striking back.

http://i1.wp.com/www.duffelblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/walkers1.jpg?zoom=1.5&resize=660%2C400
View Quote

True but thanks to a wild bunch of rebels we know all you need is steel cable to defeat these things.
Link Posted: 4/9/2014 8:07:46 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Jamie Buenting?
View Quote

dude...  that's a stretch and then some.  you're telling me rolling up in an MRAP would have kept stein from being shot at by a crazy?  that buenting wouldn't have been killed by a crazy if there had been an MRAP handy?  total bullshit...  

stein was killed from a longer distance than normal.  buenting was within a few feet of the house.  neither scenario equates to safety for those officers and to imply these great men would still be alive if a department had one is offensive at a minimum...  how in the hell does an armored vehicle cure either scenario?  is the presence of an MRAP draw crazies out of a house?  does it mitigate them using a firearm?  are you going to issue one of them to every officer as a cruiser so each officer has supreme protection?  the only thing these do is provide protection for PEOPLE INSIDE THEM and at some point, you guys will figure out cops need to be outside of them to do their job.  let's concentrate on that, help support our LE in that fashion, train up, staff up, and ramp up for that rather than defaulting to military toys for nonexistent uses.  unless you're going to drive that MRAP THROUGH a house to get the shitbird out of it, they'll be quite worthless.

i want our LE safe and sound just like everyone else, but if you're going to make a broad brush statement over having one of them and draw a parallel into saving officer's lives, you better show up with a real brush and plenty of paint.  
Link Posted: 4/9/2014 8:10:29 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Jamie Buenting?

illustrate the need.  show me how this works.  prove this is impactful and necessary.

if there is something i'm overlooking and don't grasp, i would be glad to better understand it and even say i'm wrong if i am.  i've yet to see anyone who can explain this to me.
Link Posted: 4/9/2014 11:52:11 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

dude...  that's a stretch and then some.  you're telling me rolling up in an MRAP would have kept stein from being shot at by a crazy?  that buenting wouldn't have been killed by a crazy if there had been an MRAP handy?  total bullshit...  

stein was killed from a longer distance than normal.  buenting was within a few feet of the house.  neither scenario equates to safety for those officers and to imply these great men would still be alive if a department had one is offensive at a minimum...  how in the hell does an armored vehicle cure either scenario?  is the presence of an MRAP draw crazies out of a house?  does it mitigate them using a firearm?  are you going to issue one of them to every officer as a cruiser so each officer has supreme protection?  the only thing these do is provide protection for PEOPLE INSIDE THEM and at some point, you guys will figure out cops need to be outside of them to do their job.  let's concentrate on that, help support our LE in that fashion, train up, staff up, and ramp up for that rather than defaulting to military toys for nonexistent uses.  unless you're going to drive that MRAP THROUGH a house to get the shitbird out of it, they'll be quite worthless.

i want our LE safe and sound just like everyone else, but if you're going to make a broad brush statement over having one of them and draw a parallel into saving officer's lives, you better show up with a real brush and plenty of paint.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Jamie Buenting?

I was thinking the same thing when they said it would prevent school shootings.  The damage would be done during a mass shooting by the time that thing rolled up and then the guy offs himself when it does show up so it would prevent nothing.

Oh and now we have mass stabbings...I bet that makes the gun grabbers scratch their heads.
Link Posted: 4/9/2014 11:52:30 AM EDT
[#32]
I think I wrote, it probably would not have benefited him, but it would have the other folks that responded. Officers responding were well aware that Stein's killer was armed with rifles and that he was in a house on the high ground. The only armor on scene that day, officers were wearing, and very few possessed even rifle plates. On that day, an armored vehicle would have absolutely benefited the Law Enforcement on the ground. Did they make it work with what they had, yes. A little bit over cover where little more than concealment existed would have been appreciated.

From the link

Officer Jamie Buenting was shot and killed during a standoff at a home on Pleasant Street at approximately 1:40 am.

Officers had responded to the home approximately four hours earlier after receiving a report that a man wanted for felony domestic assault was at the location. The man refused to exit the home when officers arrived and barricade himself inside. The subject fired a single shot at approximately 1:40 am and struck Officer Buenting, killing him.

The subject remained barricaded inside his home until surrendering at approximately 5:30 am. He was charged with first degree murder.

no your right Armor would have been no benefit in this scenario.
Link Posted: 4/9/2014 12:01:43 PM EDT
[#33]
Are they of limited roll, yes. However, the Govt ain't giving you your money back, big Army doesn't want them, Oshkosh doesn't want them back and I don't care to give them to 3rd world shit holes to use against their people. Should we scrap functional equipment or repurpose it.
Link Posted: 4/9/2014 2:25:05 PM EDT
[#34]
You see what happened to all the WW2 DUKW now called Ducks. They have all been painted yellow and used for tours all over the US.

Link Posted: 4/9/2014 2:31:42 PM EDT
[#35]
I don't think MRAPs float like a Duck.
You ever been on a duck tour?
I want to so bad, but everytime I've been where they are run it didn't work into the schedule.
Link Posted: 4/9/2014 7:01:54 PM EDT
[#36]

too bad private citizens will never be able to own mrap's/hwwmv's like the ducks...
Link Posted: 4/9/2014 10:17:00 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

illustrate the need.  show me how this works.  prove this is impactful and necessary.

if there is something i'm overlooking and don't grasp, i would be glad to better understand it and even say i'm wrong if i am.  i've yet to see anyone who can explain this to me.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Jamie Buenting?

We went over this in the last thread, but I'll repost:

http://www.radioiowa.com/2009/11/12/radio-calls-from-fatal-des-moines-shooting-released/

That is a perfect example of when something like this could be beneficial.  Anyone who thinks that these would be good "inclement weather rescue vehicles" is delusional.  If they want a rescue vehicle for natural disasters, get a Unimog and be done with it.  That being said, it doesn't mean that the MRAP can't be useful to local law enforcement.  They would be perfect to rescue people taking gunfire, whether this be downed officers or people on the southside of des moines when nutjobs start shooting up the neighborhood around Lincoln High School.  Everyone gets worked up about "militarization of police", but let's be honest here, the MRAP is a glorified armored car.  It is a DEFENSIVE vehicle.  If there are surplus "armored cars" available to law enforcement, why should we reinvent the wheel? I suppose each agency could go buy Lenco Bearcats at $250,000+ and pass that on to the tax payers, but why not just use these?  Hypothetically speaking, these vehicles could save the lives of suspects as well.  Officers could approach an armed suspect and negotiate via the P/A system without endangering themselves (this may have happened already in IA).  I believe the real issue is that of the intent of the Departments using them.  If they start parking them in people's living rooms, I would say you have a more valid complaint, but at this point what's the big deal with having one around in case one of the scenarios I've mentioned arises?  I think if you were tasked to deal with any one of those situations you would much rather do it from the safety of an armored vehicle.  If not, you're F*&^ing nuts!
Link Posted: 4/9/2014 11:17:26 PM EDT
[#38]
Iowa made the 3rd column of drudge report.
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 6:46:01 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Are they of limited roll, yes. However, the Govt ain't giving you your money back, big Army doesn't want them, Oshkosh doesn't want them back and I don't care to give them to 3rd world shit holes to use against their people. Should we scrap functional equipment or repurpose it.
View Quote

sell it on the open market like drmo does and regain some of the money so tax payers are hit less.  that's the smart move.
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 6:50:44 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
sell it on the open market like drmo does and regain some of the money so tax payers are hit less.  that's the smart move.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Truth. Rip out the sensitive shit and recycle or at least demil it. Sell shit on the market, profit. I'd imagine if the .mil sold off all the overstock and old equipment it has it'd provide a very nice chunk of change.

Link Posted: 4/10/2014 6:52:00 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

http://www.radioiowa.com/2009/11/12/radio-calls-from-fatal-des-moines-shooting-released/

That is a perfect example of when something like this could be beneficial.  Anyone who thinks that these would be good "inclement weather rescue vehicles" is delusional.  If they want a rescue vehicle for natural disasters, get a Unimog and be done with it.  That being said, it doesn't mean that the MRAP can't be useful to local law enforcement.  They would be perfect to rescue people taking gunfire, whether this be downed officers or people on the southside of des moines when nutjobs start shooting up the neighborhood around Lincoln High School.  Everyone gets worked up about "militarization of police", but let's be honest here, the MRAP is a glorified armored car.  It is a DEFENSIVE vehicle.  If there are surplus "armored cars" available to law enforcement, why should we reinvent the wheel? I suppose each agency could go buy Lenco Bearcats at $250,000+ and pass that on to the tax payers, but why not just use these?  Hypothetically speaking, these vehicles could save the lives of suspects as well.  Officers could approach an armed suspect and negotiate via the P/A system without endangering themselves (this may have happened already in IA).  I believe the real issue is that of the intent of the Departments using them.  If they start parking them in people's living rooms, I would say you have a more valid complaint, but at this point what's the big deal with having one around in case one of the scenarios I've mentioned arises?  I think if you were tasked to deal with any one of those situations you would much rather do it from the safety of an armored vehicle.  If not, you're F*&^ing nuts!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Jamie Buenting?

i can see that extremely narrow argument.  it is valid and i agree with you.  however, the extremely remote niche role these things play occupies a sliver of a sliver.  also, keep in mind we're talking about 'intentions' in this debate.  what is it they say about the best of intentions???

consider this:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/opinion/2014/03/10/america-police-military-weapons-column/5789445/

i agree with the notion 'better to have it and not need it..." but there are two problems with this.  'militarization' of law enforcement has never worked for a democratic nation ever in history.  especially one going through significant culture transmogrification like ours.  couple that with the fact that the public is being lied to about their intended use and this is not only being portrayed correctly, but holds so little practical use it begs very serious scrutiny.  ...which is exactly what it should draw.
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 4:23:23 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 4:30:13 PM EDT
[#43]

Can't say they didn't see that shit coming.  That said, a Army practice(no armor)MRAP, of a RG-33 no less, sold for some stupid money a couple months ago($100,000+ IIRC).
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 4:38:11 PM EDT
[#44]
Just thought I'd post a pic of my favorite MRAP.  Mine was set up the exact same, it's a Cougar.  I can post more pics and vids later of it doing cool stuff if anyone is interested.  While we did some craze stuff in them that you wouldn't think possible, it was done after 40+ hours of intense training and hundreds thousands of hours of operating them.  These things really aren't "offroad" vics like some will say, unless of course, you know what you are doing and have demonstrated it.  I've seen clowns operate them like idiots and seen them fall into canals and get stuck in mud pretty easy, I've also done and seen things they've done that's pretty amazing.  

Link Posted: 4/10/2014 5:49:19 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Just thought I'd post a pic of my favorite MRAP.  Mine was set up the exact same, it's a Cougar.  I can post more pics and vids later of it doing cool stuff if anyone is interested.  While we did some craze stuff in them that you wouldn't think possible, it was done after 40+ hours of intense training and hundreds thousands of hours of operating them.  These things really aren't "offroad" vics like some will say, unless of course, you know what you are doing and have demonstrated it.  I've seen clowns operate them like idiots and seen them fall into canals and get stuck in mud pretty easy, I've also done and seen things they've done that's pretty amazing.  
http://images.fineartamerica.com/images-medium-large/a-us-army-cougar-mrap-vehicle-terry-moore.jpg
View Quote

I would like to see the video
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 6:18:54 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
http://images.fineartamerica.com/images-medium-large/a-us-army-cougar-mrap-vehicle-terry-moore.jpg

Me too.
Link Posted: 4/12/2014 5:12:45 PM EDT
[#47]
I can say they work really well against IED's.

I can also say I have yet to see any IED's in use in Iowa crimes.  I don't keep up like I used to though, so I may have missed one or two.  Apologies if that's the case.

Seriously, after plenty of wheel time in 6x6 Cougar JERRVs, I can wholeheartedly say there's no practical use in Iowa law enforcement.  Get officers rifle plates for their vests and patrol carbines.  That will prove far more useful, and far less expensive than maintaining even a single MRAP, let alone a half a damn dozen.

But hey, rifle plates and carbines for patrol officers isn't nearly as "fun" for the brass to play with, I suppose.
Link Posted: 4/13/2014 8:03:51 AM EDT
[#48]
Having an MRAP or any other surplus, non-traditional piece of equipment is excuse in and of itself to use it.  I don't see LE having the self-restraint to keep it in the garage; it'll be out to let you know who's got the big stick.
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 3:21:07 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Get officers rifle plates for their vests and patrol carbines.  

View Quote

I agree with this.  Unfortunately the neckbeards on this form will cry "militarization of the police".
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 4:00:35 AM EDT
[#50]
These topics kill me.  Officers don't need this, they don't need that, it's overkill, it's to much protection, it's intimidating.  Then in the next thread, they will bemoan the thought of some type of legislation that may restrict the right to own an armor piercing 88 magnum super duper dickhead round.  If we want the right to bear arms un-infringed upon, how can we judge an officer the right to protect themselves from some of these threats.  Whatever your pleasure, 99. whatever percent law abiding citizen gun owners have no issues, will never break the law and are who the constitution meant to protect.  However there are some seriously bad people out there that want to do very bad things, including kill.  What would you have?  These officers in a mounted posse rolling up on horseback with six shooters and leather vests?  Enough of this crap already.  These units are tools and nothing more.  They are to protect officers in dangerous situations that all but a few people present will ever encounter.  If it means that one officer in harms way can go home to his family, then that is enough for me.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Page Hometown » Iowa
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top