Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/20/2014 3:32:05 AM EDT

Tax Assessor Attempts Interior Inspection of Your Home

...I guess in today's lawless "Post-Constitutional Era," this is just the thin end of the wedge....

QUESTION: What would the Tax Assessor do if they visited a basement like this?

Link Posted: 11/20/2014 4:43:43 AM EDT
[#1]
Last time one was in my house, was when we had an addition put onto he house.  Its right there on the permit application, that the tax assessor gets to do a walkthrough at completeion, same as the building, electrical, and plumbing inspectors.

The funny thing is, the following spring (5 minths later) we got a similar letter, followed a week letter by the knock at the door.  The assor handed me his ID to verify, then while standing on the porch had this breif conversation:

A: Wasn't I just here last Fall?
Me: Well, we had an addition put on the back of the house, so, someone was.
A: Right, your the one with the        Room....  in the basement.
Me: Well, there are several rooms in the basement, buy one is rather unique.
A; [Smiling] Yeah, just to let you know I wrote that up as a closet o the records, because anyone can request a copy of the assessment records.
Me: Really?  I didn't know that, Thanks.
A: Have you made any changes since the addtion?
Me: The deck on the back of the house was just finished a few weeks ago.
A: Mind of I go take some measurments?
Me: No Problem.

That 'Room' just happens to be a walk in vault  5 foot, by 12 foot, with concrete roof at 7 foot, and poured in place vault door.  He marked it as a closet, so I think at least mine would be fine with some RC planes, and storage boxes.
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 8:04:20 AM EDT
[#2]
Had a guy walking around my house this past summer.  I confronted him (armed) and asked him what he wanted.

He said he was from the township (but I've never seen him before) and was doing a home inspection.

I told him to GTF off my property.  He left and I then went in and called the township office.

They told me that they didn't have anyone out doing "Inspections".

Fucker was probably casing the place for a hit.

As far as the story goes, there ain't anyone coming in my house without a warrant for an "Inspection".
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 8:44:13 AM EDT
[#3]
As far as the story goes, there ain't anyone coming in my house without a warrant for an "Inspection".
View Quote

Roger that!

The locals we have here think they are all "Inter-Galaxy Senators" or some-such, out to do "good" for humanity. At a recent garage sale, one of these intrepid dip-shits came out with a huge white village-marked F-350 with so many antenna and electronic gear that it looked like a Florida fishing trawler. When I asked "what's up," the denizen informed me that the village Building Department was "tipped off" about my violation. "What's that?" I asked. He said the small red helium balloon with the string attached to the sign was "illegal.' I'd have to take the balloon off the sign or get fined. This guy is making $65K a year plus bennies for this chickenshit stuff.

I can only imagine what one of these "do-gooders" would do after seeing cans of smokeless powder, bullets, brass and primers in legal quantities in a home (let alone those "nasty firearms.") They will report their findings to other agencies, and then it's Katie-bar-the-door.

Most of these government types have an agenda--and it isn't good for us or the Constitution. Pancake this illegal search and seizure with the up and coming government cash-cow known as "asset forfeiture" and you've got a real recipe for abuse. Like when you own a rental and some tenant smokes a joint and the SWAT team barges in and then informs you your rental unit has been "forfeited" to the government for being "in violation" for something or other. See Policing For Profit in Michigan--$148M

Link Posted: 11/20/2014 1:07:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

QUESTION: What would the Tax Assessor do if they visited a basement like this?
View Quote

Depends on the Assessor. If he's a outdoorsman or Pro 1A, he'll just be jealous. If he is from ARFCOM he'll tell you your stash is weak; you need to double it.

Link Posted: 11/20/2014 6:36:00 PM EDT
[#5]
If he is from ARFCOM he'll tell you your stash is weak; you need to double it.
View Quote

YUP!

If he'd be from ARFCOM, he'd prolly say: "...nice start..."
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 8:04:03 PM EDT
[#6]
So you are concerned about the .gov finding out about what you have but posted a photo of ammo on a site that is know to be routinely trolled by multiple .gov agencies?
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 2:30:01 AM EDT
[#7]
So you are concerned about the .gov finding out about what you have but posted a photo of ammo on a site that is know to be routinely trolled by multiple .gov agencies?
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/1/2014 2:10:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Our Townships states in the zoning laws that the  zoning dude shall have all the powers of a LEO. The zoning dude looks around and reports his findings to the tax dude.

Link Posted: 12/2/2014 1:16:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Our Townships states in the zoning laws that the  zoning dude shall have all the powers of a LEO. The zoning dude looks around and reports his findings to the tax dude.

View Quote

LEO doesn't have rights to get into your home without a warrant or imminent threat.
Link Posted: 12/3/2014 11:27:06 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Had a guy walking around my house this past summer.  I confronted him (armed) and asked him what he wanted.

He said he was from the township (but I've never seen him before) and was doing a home inspection.

I told him to GTF off my property.  He left and I then went in and called the township office.

They told me that they didn't have anyone out doing "Inspections".

Fucker was probably casing the place for a hit.

View Quote

Clinton county ?
Link Posted: 12/4/2014 8:00:01 PM EDT
[#11]
I thought they can only do inside if you pull a permit resulting in material change of the interior
Link Posted: 12/6/2014 11:32:34 AM EDT
[#12]
These inspectors are all crooks.  The city inspector in my city let a none insured contractor do a job across the street.  He was not insured or licensed, he was a friend of his.  They did damage to the house next to where they were working and things got messy for the 85 year old home owner trying to her property fixed.  I have the fake paper work that the inspector put through after the fact and the city backed him and the home owner still has not had her property fixed.   It got so bad that the contractor was using physical threats to the 85 year old home owner.  I could go on but with the rest of the story but my point is the city inspectors office is a bunch of crooks.
Link Posted: 12/9/2014 9:46:16 PM EDT
[#13]
My buddy got a notice from Eqton county about a tax inspection. But he was told he doesnt have to let them inside.

No tax accessor is coming into my place unless it's part of a permit situation.
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 9:11:23 PM EDT
[#14]
We have city water when they replaced the meters I'm thinking they use the opportunity to do an inspection at that time. I whose told they where looking around when replacing my meter just thought at the time I had a nosy employee but now I wonder.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top