Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/24/2014 6:11:04 PM EDT
Saw on the news tonight the sad story of a man out for a run in Lapeer getting mauled to death by 2 dogs.  This got me thinking of how a CPL holder would deal with a situation like this.  If 2 dogs come up to me do I immediately figure they're vicious or be cautious about "jumping" to conclusions?  Anyone who carries here on MI ARFCOm ever had to deal with a similar situation?  Seems like a good topic for discussion.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 6:29:26 PM EDT
[#1]
If you have been around dogs you can usually tell their disposition by their behavior. Stuff you want to watch out for is a lowered head, flattened ears and no warning growls or barks. They will also run directly and without bounding at something, without wagging a tail or looking around at other objects. Before an attack they will remain quiet and almost slink around, following and moving along side but not in front of their target with ears up and alert.

Never had any bother me directly, but we use to get random urbanites who'd let their pit/rott mixes run wild ("it's the country, they can run in the woods we don't own!") and who'd threaten our livestock (mainly sheep, chickens and ducks). Most I shot never had collars, but the few that did would have the collars returned (sans dog) and occasionally by a police officer carrying a bill for property damages.

The dogs who were not intent on attacking would respond to verbal commands or just a challenging stance: yelling sit in a forceful tone/stomping on the ground/etc, which would get unsure dogs to stop and bark or flee (or the ones who knew verbal commands, to come/heel/lay down), but this would break their focus as they become unsure if a target was easy. Dogs who failed to retreat, obey or stop acting aggressive on a warning would get an 8mm or 303 round (surplus ammo was cheap and effective).

Dogs are like people (and vice versa): their body language tells everything and they shouldn't get more than one warning.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 7:36:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Had to intervene in two Pits going after a lady's small dog she was walking.  I verbally yelled to the dogs and they turned to me. I kept a calm firm voice and treated them like they were my own dogs. As stated body language is everything. Yours and the dogs. They were both just looking to play. I had already called 911. When I got out of my car and they came to me, I kept my gun hand on my holstered gun and away from the dogs. My support hand stayed in front of me to fend off attack or offer as a sacrifice if needed. My back was to my car so they couldn't get around me. Don't get your gun hand involved except when you need to draw your gun.

If you have to shoot aim for the ear canal, up through the mouth, or under the chin if they are close to you. Plan on multiple body shots otherwise. Ive seen very few pumped up attacking dogs go down with one pistol round.

Most unarmed people are not mentally ready to do what needs to be done and therefore die. Most animals are visual attackers. Use whatever you can to gouge out their eyes and they will stop. Most people just try to pry them off or punch/kick them. That just fires them up more. You are fighting for your life.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 8:38:08 PM EDT
[#3]
I know dogs can kill, but I just can't imagine a dog (or two) that couldn't take down with my hands. I have been around dogs all my life. Like the poster above said, your body language and actions can do allot to prevent an attack. More than 2 Dogs at once, I am probably done for.

I had a stray pit get vicious with my boxer. By the time I established my place in the situation the pit was rolling over on his back and pissing all over himself.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 3:18:17 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Had to intervene in two Pits going after a lady's small dog she was walking.  I verbally yelled to the dogs and they turned to me. I kept a calm firm voice and treated them like they were my own dogs. As stated body language is everything. Yours and the dogs. They were both just looking to play. I had already called 911. When I got out of my car and they came to me, I kept my gun hand on my holstered gun and away from the dogs. My support hand stayed in front of me to fend off attack or offer as a sacrifice if needed. My back was to my car so they couldn't get around me. Don't get your gun hand involved except when you need to draw your gun.

If you have to shoot aim for the ear canal, up through the mouth, or under the chin if they are close to you. Plan on multiple body shots otherwise. Ive seen very few pumped up attacking dogs go down with one pistol round.

Most unarmed people are not mentally ready to do what needs to be done and therefore die. Most animals are visual attackers. Use whatever you can to gouge out their eyes and they will stop. Most people just try to pry them off or punch/kick them. That just fires them up more. You are fighting for your life.
View Quote

The key to survival and dealing with the 2 legged scum as well, with "armed being the best chance for survival. Mindset is critical but a gun is the great equalizer in many if not most life or death situations.

I am often amazed (but not surprised) when I hear some liberal/anti-gun moron make some idiotic statement about they would rather die than hurt/kill someone else with a gun to protect their own life. Darwin Award material.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 10:03:19 PM EDT
[#5]
I'll admit I don't carry my handgun 24/7, because of work or comfort or whatever. But I do always have my knife on me, at least it's something
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 6:59:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Great discussion.  Thanks for the thoughts.  Unfortunately I think we should learn from tragedies such as this.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 12:03:42 PM EDT
[#7]
I've been bitten while on the job before, 16 stitches on my hand. I will not hesitate to shoot someone's dog now if it approaches me in a threatening manner. I have a gun on me while on the job now, protection from two legged as well as four..
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 1:45:02 PM EDT
[#8]
My neighbor used to have an Australian Shepherd.  The dog would act all friendly, tail wagging, and take a chunk out of your leg without warning.  My other neighbor had a German Shepherd that would attack strangers.  I had been over to their house several times without any issues, then one time I came over in a thick winter coat, hat and scarf, and the dog grabbed onto my arm like I was one of those guys in the padded suits they train police dogs with!  Even through the coat, sweater, and long sleeve shirt, I had teethmarks on my arm.  Bicycles could outrun the dog, but I would've felt sorry if anyone jogged past their house.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top