Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/24/2009 3:38:12 PM EDT
I was at the “new” Pit today. It is vastly improved. It is completely leveled out and widened.

You can park all the way down instead of creating a bottleneck. A row of concrete barriers have been placed to form a new firing line.

As you can see, there is my black Pontiac right in the middle of the picture. There are targets between the front of my car and the guy wearing dark blue. Those targets are on the new pistol range mound. If you look carefully you can see the mound extending from the targets all the way to the right. This pistol mound covers 1/3 of the right side of the firing line so the whole line cannot be used for long range shooting.

Again you can see all the pistol targets on the pistol mound extending from the extreme right 1/3

What I didn’t take a picture of is that they shortened the range when they pushed the dirt against the far hillside. You can actually go “over the top” of the far mound down into a small gulley and then you climb up the far hill.
Just one small note: the walk downrange as well as all the mounds is still soft so you sink with each footstep. I’m sure as the rain will soak it down and the sun will bake it hard over time.
Of most importance there are no new restrictions that ruin the experience. It’s the same old Pit modified for the better.
Link Posted: 8/24/2009 3:57:40 PM EDT
[#1]
I was there yesterday in the evening, Sad that you can't really lay prone anymore. It's nice having a place to set guns down with the barriers, but I liked the old open pit better.
Link Posted: 8/24/2009 6:06:11 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

I was there yesterday in the evening, Sad that you can't really lay prone anymore. It's nice having a place to set guns down with the barriers, but I liked the old open pit better.

I suppose out the back of a pickup truck would work....

Link Posted: 8/24/2009 6:50:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Maybe shoot between the blocks ?
Link Posted: 8/24/2009 9:28:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Looks like they did a good job
Link Posted: 8/25/2009 3:17:42 AM EDT
[#5]
Hey that blue Cav looks familiar!!
Link Posted: 8/25/2009 3:34:37 AM EDT
[#6]
How long before the locals have it filled with trash again? Anybody want to get a pool going?
Link Posted: 8/25/2009 4:02:02 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

How long before the locals have it filled with trash again? Anybody want to get a pool going?

Oh come on, they spray painted "No Dumping" on the blocks, that should work.
Link Posted: 8/25/2009 4:19:19 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Uhhhhhh...  Felony.

Pathfinder

Link Posted: 8/25/2009 3:41:44 PM EDT
[#9]
I've never been up to the pit but I want to go sometime soon. I'm working on a 9mm AR15 I want to try out once I get it finished, and I'm sick of the 6 round rule at the other public DNR ranges. My only concern is running into yahoos. What are the people out there like in regards to safety?

From the pics I like what the DNR did.
Link Posted: 8/25/2009 5:00:48 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Uhhhhhh...  Felony.

Pathfinder

Hey pathfinder.... is it? I've never tried it, but I've thought about it. Do you have a reference? I see people shoot from vehicles during some of those ACTS matches that get posted on here from time to time. Are they felonies? Or a special license? Not calling you out, but since you know, please elaborate.
Link Posted: 8/25/2009 5:49:38 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I've never been up to the pit but I want to go sometime soon. I'm working on a 9mm AR15 I want to try out once I get it finished, and I'm sick of the 6 round rule at the other public DNR ranges. My only concern is running into yahoos. What are the people out there like in regards to safety?

As far as safety, normally everyone is fairly good about it. When you want the line to go cold, lay your weapons down and just hang out for a minute. Between rounds of fire, just kinda pass word down the line and everyone normally will lay theirs down and switch targets at the same time. If you pull up and people are still firing, just hang out for a minute and people normally get the message. Past that, have someone in your group stay with your weapons when you go down range, I always keep a loaded sidearm on me just in case, and if there are idiots there when you arrive, leave. Even if the trip cost a bit in gas, the cost is not worth the risk of either A) Being shot. B) Being associated with said idiots.

The one time a group of idiots showed while I was there we(my group and the two other people there) were able to flood them out of there, so to speak. That was back when parking/space was slim so we just spread out enough that they took the hint.
Link Posted: 8/25/2009 6:09:50 PM EDT
[#12]
As far as safety, normally everyone is fairly good about it. When you want the line to go cold, lay your weapons down and just hang out for a minute. Between rounds of fire, just kinda pass word down the line and everyone normally will lay theirs down and switch targets at the same time. If you pull up and people are still firing, just hang out for a minute and people normally get the message. Past that, have someone in your group stay with your weapons when you go down range, I always keep a loaded sidearm on me just in case, and if there are idiots there when you arrive, leave. Even if the trip cost a bit in gas, the cost is not worth the risk of either A) Being shot. B) Being associated with said idiots.

The one time a group of idiots showed while I was there we(my group and the two other people there) were able to flood them out of there, so to speak. That was back when parking/space was slim so we just spread out enough that they took the hint.

Is there a concern with some idiot grabbing your gun while you're downrange? It would seem that since everyone is downrange changing targets, playing around with the guns on the firing line would be a no-no (but I guess not everyone is me).  Maybe I'll lock mine in my car when I go downrange if I'm there by myself and this is a concern.

I'll probably try it out on a weekday when its not as busy to get a feel for the place. I want to do rapid fire and never had a place to do it, but I've always heard mixed reviews of "the pit." Hopefully the more responsible crowd will be there when I go to check it out.

Thanks for the advice!

Link Posted: 8/25/2009 6:40:43 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Is there a concern with some idiot grabbing your gun while you're downrange? It would seem that since everyone is downrange changing targets, playing around with the guns on the firing line would be a no-no (but I guess not everyone is me).  Maybe I'll lock mine in my car when I go downrange if I'm there by myself and this is a concern.

For me, it is the fact that I have $1000+ rifles laying in the bed of my truck and on the ground, etc and the crowd standing back by my truck are people I don't know. They have guns and are standing around a pile of ammo for said guns, I'm downrange. Just doesn't sit well with me. Not everyone changes targets at the same time, so there are people back behind the line by their guns and mine while I am not, hence having someone stay back and having my sidearm with me. I don't consider having a loaded sidearm on me while the range is cold a safety issue, its holstered, just an extra insurance in my mind.

Its not that people are playing with guns while I'm downrange, its that it doesn't take long to pick up a rifle case of mine and take off in their car. And if they want all of my weapons, it doesn't take long to jam a mag in their weapon and point said weapon at me.

Link Posted: 8/25/2009 6:49:23 PM EDT
[#14]
It just never even occurred to me about everyones' guns just sitting around while the group is downrange. The only trouble I had was one time some arse step up to the line next to someone shooting an AR. The guy walked away, packed his guns in the car, then walked back to the line to yell a bunch of obscenities to the AR shooter about brass flying everywhere. Um, hello? You walked next to him in the spray radius of his brass. However the arse was still safe, put his weapons away and waited until the line was done before going into his tirade.
Link Posted: 8/25/2009 7:08:22 PM EDT
[#15]

For me, it is the fact that I have $1000+ rifles laying in the bed of my truck and on the ground, etc and the crowd standing back by my truck are people I don't know. They have guns and are standing around a pile of ammo for said guns, I'm downrange. Just doesn't sit well with me. Not everyone changes targets at the same time, so there are people back behind the line by their guns and mine while I am not, hence having someone stay back and having my sidearm with me. I don't consider having a loaded sidearm on me while the range is cold a safety issue, its holstered, just an extra insurance in my mind.

Its not that people are playing with guns while I'm downrange, its that it doesn't take long to pick up a rifle case of mine and take off in their car. And if they want all of my weapons, it doesn't take long to jam a mag in their weapon and point said weapon at me.  

Ah gotcha. It makes more sense with an explaination. I thought there was some sort of crazy gun juggling going on or some unspoken rule of the pit I was unaware of while people were downrange. I can definately understand wanting to protect a couple G's worth of guns and ammo, not to mention someone stealing your own gear and using against you (that would suck worse than just having it stolen).
Link Posted: 8/25/2009 7:22:54 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
It just never even occurred to me about everyones' guns just sitting around while the group is downrange.

You sure are trusting of strangers.  I thought you were going to try and swipe something off of my table as I tried to move my target out of your way.  KIDDING!!  I had to keep rotating different handguns in/out of the trunk to help keep track of them.  KIDDING again.  I was surprised at how busy it was for a Monday morning.
Link Posted: 8/25/2009 9:08:32 PM EDT
[#17]
USPT45T were you the guy I aasked why you were shooting targets 20 feet away with your AR and you said you were training for a match? It sure was busy for a Monday.
Link Posted: 8/26/2009 3:29:13 AM EDT
[#18]
Yes.  Not me so much.  I wanted my kid to get the repitition of starting from low-ready, taking off the safety and giving targets 2 shots each.  He was going back and forth on our target setup, 2 shots left, 2 shots right, 2 shots left....  I had him practicing over and over, low ready, acquiring target, safety off, 2 shots..then again, again, AGAIN.  I wanted him to try 3gun comps and this manner of shooting is how a rifle stage usually begins.  We got there at about 9:30, verified zero at farther distance, and I knew I would be approx 3 inches low at close range.  He took 6 shots at the farthest distance, crouching, with his 556 magazine resting on the cement block and all hit a 6" circle.  I knew he was ready for the 100yd plate rack at LGC, so we moved on.   He did da/sa over and over with his P30.  Low ready, DA shot followed by SA shot, decock, then again.  Just to practice a stage start with pistol.  I intended to have him draw over and over and then do the drill, which would have been much better, but we don't have a holster yet.  NTAC wasn't at the Mt Clemens Gibraltar show on Friday.  He had never racked a pump shotgun before, I had him run 8+1 through the mossberg, reload 6 shells from the side-saddle and empty the mag tube.  he tried it once and moved on.  Now, if I could just get him to take off from work to try a match!!  We thought it was about 40-50 feet away.  Never measured.

Were you the guy shooting at sticks and dirt mounds?  The orange target stands that I got from Gander worked great and the spinners and dueling tree are always fun.
Link Posted: 8/26/2009 5:33:02 AM EDT
[#19]
Yeah. Stick and bottle downrange are the cheapest targets around!!!
Link Posted: 8/26/2009 5:49:11 AM EDT
[#20]
The orange target holder rods were 50% off at GM.  I got 2 sets for $15.  The work great.  I get all the cardboard box material and paper targets free of charge, from work.   I went back to GM to get more orange stick target holders but they were out.   I was gonna setup my own 3gun stage with multiple targets sans the dummy drag to safety.  It does suck changing targets at long distance so we went close in.   I used a shitload of paper targets that day.  Still have thousands more.
Link Posted: 8/26/2009 1:27:17 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Uhhhhhh...  Felony.

Pathfinder

Hey pathfinder.... is it? I've never tried it, but I've thought about it. Do you have a reference? I see people shoot from vehicles during some of those ACTS matches that get posted on here from time to time. Are they felonies? Or a special license? Not calling you out, but since you know, please elaborate.

From here:

At all times, rifles, shotguns, muzzleloading and other firearms, crossbows and bows and arrows carried in or on any type of motor vehicle, including snowmobiles, must be unloaded in both barrel and magazine, and either enclosed in a case, or unstrung, or carried in the trunk of a vehicle with a trunk, or when transported on an ORV equipped with and made inoperative by a manufactured keylocked trigger housing mechanism. These rules apply whether your vehicle is parked, stopped, moving or is on private or public property. A firearm transported in a motor-propelled boat or sailboat must be unloaded in both barrel and magazine when the motor is operating or the boat is under sail and may not be loaded until the momentum of the boat has ceased. Firearms must be unloaded in the barrel, and all arrows must be in a quiver when a hunter is afield outside the legal hunting hours.
Exception: These rules do not apply to pistols carried under authority of a concealed pistol license or properly carried under authority of a specific exception from the requirement of a concealed pistol license.

A percussion cap muzzleloading longarm is considered unloaded if the percussion cap is removed. A flintlock muzzleloading longarm is considered unloaded if the cock is left down and the pan is open. Black powder handguns must be transported as stated under  Firearm and Bow and Arrow Rules .

The people who shoot rifles out of cars and post pictures on the internet are one pissed off neighbor away from a world of hurt.  Swamp Nazis and State Police will not fuck around.  

I personally witnessed a grouse hunter get a ticket for leaning his unloaded shotgun against the side of a truck.  I have also personally witnessed COs warn hunters to not place their guns in the bed of a pickup truck uncased while they took off their waders.

Remember, this is Michigan.  No one has a legitimate need to have a gun in a car.  The only people that do it are poachers and gang bangers.  You will get cited.  You will lose in court.  
Link Posted: 8/26/2009 3:48:28 PM EDT
[#22]
Looks awesome!!
Link Posted: 8/26/2009 3:54:43 PM EDT
[#23]
http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,1607,7-153-10366_37141_37706-31579––,00.html

The people who shoot rifles out of cars and post pictures on the internet are one pissed off neighbor away from a world of hurt. Swamp Nazis and State Police will not fuck around.

What about pictures taken a in a much freer state

Link Posted: 8/26/2009 4:00:00 PM EDT
[#24]
At all times, rifles, shotguns, muzzleloading and other firearms, crossbows and bows and arrows carried in or on any type of motor vehicle, including snowmobiles, must be unloaded in both barrel and magazine, and either enclosed in a case, or unstrung, or carried in the trunk of a vehicle with a trunk, or when transported on an ORV equipped with and made inoperative by a manufactured keylocked trigger housing mechanism. These rules apply whether your vehicle is parked, stopped, moving or is on private or public property. A firearm transported in a motor-propelled boat or sailboat must be unloaded in both barrel and magazine when the motor is operating or the boat is under sail and may not be loaded until the momentum of the boat has ceased. Firearms must be unloaded in the barrel, and all arrows must be in a quiver when a hunter is afield outside the legal hunting hours.
Exception: These rules do not apply to pistols carried under authority of a concealed pistol license or properly carried under authority of a specific exception from the requirement of a concealed pistol license.

So after reading this could you legally shoot a pistol from a vehicle with a CPL ?
Link Posted: 8/26/2009 4:59:50 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

So after reading this could you legally shoot a pistol from a vehicle with a CPL ?

I would imagine that if you are on an established range shooting at easily identifiable artificially constructed targets and no attempt to take game is made, and you are in an area not frequented by wild game,  and you have a hunting license anyway, you *might* not get arrested....but you probably will  (ya' fuckin' gang banger )
Link Posted: 8/27/2009 5:25:54 AM EDT
[#26]
Man...they did good out there.

This is good for a few reasons.

1- They cleaned it up.
2- By putting $ into it sends a message to the local's who fight so hard (legally and illegally) against the pit.

Good on them!

I haven't been there in years.

ETA: Nice to see that the vegitation on the left hand hill has returned
Link Posted: 8/27/2009 5:26:13 AM EDT
[#27]
No glass targets that tell me your planning leaving it and littering use plastic bottles with water .
It's more fun and easier to pick up. Also keep from firing across the range  you  see when your out there  keep it down range .  To keep it safe clear or cold line means guns down and unloaded . Hope we all  know that when shooting like some do the guns are flaming hot  and  you don't have to pull the trigger for it to fire
Link Posted: 8/27/2009 5:30:00 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
No glass targets that tell me your planning leaving it and littering use plastic bottles with water .
It's more fun and easier to pick up. Also keep from firing across the range  you  see when your out there  keep it down range .  To keep it safe clear or cold line means guns down and unloaded . Hope we all  know that when shooting like some do the guns are flaming hot  and  you don't have to pull the trigger for it to fire

Ah...what?
Link Posted: 8/27/2009 5:37:18 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ah...what?

Its not just you,man. My brain hurts after reading that as well.
Link Posted: 8/27/2009 6:23:36 AM EDT
[#30]
I guess all the LEO's that shoot with us at acts are in trouble.......OHHHHHH
Link Posted: 8/27/2009 7:40:53 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

It's more fun and easier to pick up. Also keep from firing across the range you see when your out there keep it down range . To keep it safe clear or cold line means guns down and unloaded . Hope we all know that when shooting like some do the guns are flaming hot and you don't have to pull the trigger for it to fire

Welcome to the internet.

Link Posted: 8/27/2009 9:34:50 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Quoted:
It's more fun and easier to pick up. Also keep from firing across the range you see when your out there keep it down range . To keep it safe clear or cold line means guns down and unloaded . Hope we all know that when shooting like some do the guns are flaming hot and you don't have to pull the trigger for it to fire

Welcome to the internet.

Cut him some slack.  It's only his third post since joining nearly 5 years ago.
Link Posted: 8/27/2009 10:26:19 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Invite the local Conservation Officers to watch you train some non-sworn folks at a place like the Pit and let me know how that goes for everyone.  
Link Posted: 8/27/2009 11:58:19 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

It wouldn't be the first time that someone, especially an LEO, has done something that could "technically" be considered illegal.

There's a lot of interpretations of the law that many of us around here do not agree with, but they are what they are.  Right or wrong, I was always under the impression that it was "legal" to shoot targets from a "motor vehicle" if you were on private property and engaged in target shooting - in other words, not taking game.  I know it has been done at more than local match and at more than one range in MI.  It would be an interesting question to pose to MSPFU or a legislator, maybe even Cox, to see what kind of response is provided.
Link Posted: 8/27/2009 12:31:17 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Invite the local Conservation Officers to watch you train some non-sworn folks at a place like the Pit and let me know how that goes for everyone.  

That would be a somewhat different issue as the Pit is public land and most ranges are private, that said if the LEO/CO's take an extremely narrow letter of the
law interpatation it could be an issue.  I believe the DNR statue really is intended for hunting or taking of game and would not apply to a private shooting range.

But as always YMMV and you never know what is gonna happen.

Jeff
Link Posted: 8/27/2009 1:48:17 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That would be a somewhat different issue as the Pit is public land and most ranges are private, that said if the LEO/CO's take an extremely narrow letter of the
law interpatation it could be an issue.  I believe the DNR statue really is intended for hunting or taking of game and would not apply to a private shooting range.

But as always YMMV and you never know what is gonna happen.

Jeff

There are laws that govern the taking of game from vehicles on public AND private land, which is why this could be a bit of a thorny issue without a clarification from lawmakers/AG/MSPFU/???  Common sense tells us that we are on a shooting range and not attempting to take game, but not all enforcement officers care about common sense.  Regardless of the individuals intent, we all know that old saying - you may beat the rap in the end, but you won't always beat the ride.
Link Posted: 8/27/2009 4:41:24 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
.... Common sense tells us that we are on a shooting range and not attempting to take game, but not all enforcement officers care about common sense.  Regardless of the individuals intent, we all know that old saying - you may beat the rap in the end, but you won't always beat the ride.

Remember the poached turkey on the back berm @ the Pit?  

Link Posted: 8/27/2009 5:24:44 PM EDT
[#38]
Sorry 7m3 it has been looked  into before and in events and competions it if perfect leagl to do so
Link Posted: 8/27/2009 6:30:55 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Sorry 7m3 it has been looked  into before and in events and competions it if perfect leagl to do so

Cite?  What definition of event / competition?  Looked into by whom?

Not trying to bust balls...I really want to know.
Link Posted: 8/27/2009 6:38:07 PM EDT
[#40]
oopsd
Link Posted: 8/27/2009 6:38:39 PM EDT
[#41]
conversation over.
Link Posted: 9/27/2009 6:33:50 PM EDT
[#42]
Looks great! I hope that it stays clean.
Link Posted: 9/28/2009 3:16:59 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

I'll probably try it out on a weekday when its not as busy to get a feel for the place. I want to do rapid fire and never had a place to do it, but I've always heard mixed reviews of "the pit." Hopefully the more responsible crowd will be there when I go to check it out.

Thanks for the advice!

For me it is a problem with the Urban contingent that shows up to shoot on the weekends. I figure if they come to shoot their AK's Gangsta style with me on a weekend, it won't be long before they figure out that they can just shoot me and walk off scot-free with a subgun.

Really don't care to be alone there when these guys show up.
Link Posted: 9/29/2009 4:21:34 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Since this has been resurrected, I thought I'd re-address this part with information gained from the MSP and DNR since the time of last posting.  

- You MAY shoot a handgun from within or on a vehicle or other motorized conveyance so long as 1) the individual holds a valid CPL or is exempt (LEO), 2) there is no attempt to take game, 3) if you are shooting in an area where wild game occurs you must be shooting at an easily identifiable, artificially constructed target, and 4) the shooting does not endanger others.  If any of these four conditions are not met, the act is unlawful.  For instance, if a participant of the aforementioned events or competitions did not hold a valid Michigan CPL or similar license from their state of residence for which the state of Michigan provided license reciprocity, the act would be illegal despite the other three conditions having been satisfied.    

- It is unlawful to discharge any long gun from within or on a vehicle or other motorized conveyance.  It is also unlawful to possess any uncased long gun in or on a vehicle.*  The only exception is for an LEO in the performance of duties.  So if you are not sworn, you can forget about training with your carbine or shotgun from a vehicle.  

*This means you cannot lay your unloaded shotgun in the bed of your truck or lean it against a tire while you take your waders off unless it is in a case.   It also means that you cannot use any part of the vehicle as a shooting rest (hood, roof, door, bed of truck) regardless of what you may be shooting at, either artificial target or game animal.  

Link Posted: 9/29/2009 7:10:09 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Since this has been resurrected, I thought I'd re-address this part with information gained from the MSP and DNR since the time of last posting.  

- You MAY shoot a handgun from within or on a vehicle or other motorized conveyance so long as 1) the individual holds a valid CPL or is exempt (LEO), 2) there is no attempt to take game, 3) if you are shooting in an area where wild game occurs you must be shooting at an easily identifiable, artificially constructed target, and 4) the shooting does not endanger others.  If any of these four conditions are not met, the act is unlawful.  For instance, if a participant of the aforementioned events or competitions did not hold a valid Michigan CPL or similar license from their state of residence for which the state of Michigan provided license reciprocity, the act would be illegal despite the other three conditions having been satisfied.    

- It is unlawful to discharge any long gun from within or on a vehicle or other motorized conveyance.  It is also unlawful to possess any uncased long gun in or on a vehicle.*  The only exception is for an LEO in the performance of duties.  So if you are not sworn, you can forget about training with your carbine or shotgun from a vehicle.  

*This means you cannot lay your unloaded shotgun in the bed of your truck or lean it against a tire while you take your waders off unless it is in a case.   It also means that you cannot use any part of the vehicle as a shooting rest (hood, roof, door, bed of truck) regardless of what you may be shooting at, either artificial target or game animal.

Ummmmmm, cite or a .pdf of the info on official letterhead, pretty please.

I'm not doubting you, but I know there are others that will.
Link Posted: 9/29/2009 8:49:14 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ummmmmm, cite or a .pdf of the info on official letterhead, pretty please.

I'm not doubting you, but I know there are others that will.

Both the DNR and MSP have forms on their websites which allow the user to submit question.  That's what I did.  

If any reader of this thread chooses to doubt the veracity of my claim, I will exercise the Don't Give A Fuck clause of my contract.  

Link Posted: 9/29/2009 11:41:34 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Both the DNR and MSP have forms on their websites which allow the user to submit question.  That's what I did.  

If any reader of this thread chooses to doubt the veracity of my claim, I will exercise the Don't Give A Fuck clause of my contract.  

We all know the DNR has its share of hacks (and even some queers, you know what/who I'm talking about), and the MSP, well they have the MSPFU, who will always interpret in their favor whenever possible.  It helps to know if they are providing legitimate info grounded in reality/statute, or over-reaching with their commentary.
Link Posted: 9/29/2009 2:26:08 PM EDT
[#48]
The DNR was entirely vague, uninformative, and not helpful.  They did however go out of their way to  tell me that any such activities were expressly prohibited on "their" properties.  (No shit...verbatim.)  

I had a very pleasant email conversation with a M/Sgt from the MSP.  He cited three applicable codes and gave me the explanation that appears in my post above.

So in closing, fuck the DNR.

Link Posted: 9/29/2009 4:11:37 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Quoted:

- It is unlawful to discharge any long gun from within or on a vehicle or other motorized conveyance.  It is also unlawful to possess any uncased long gun in or on a vehicle.*  The only exception is for an LEO in the performance of duties. So if you are not sworn, you can forget about training with your carbine or shotgun from a vehicle.  

Unless it's a folder under 30".
Link Posted: 9/29/2009 4:32:04 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

- It is unlawful to discharge any long gun from within or on a vehicle or other motorized conveyance.  It is also unlawful to possess any uncased long gun in or on a vehicle.*  The only exception is for an LEO in the performance of duties. So if you are not sworn, you can forget about training with your carbine or shotgun from a vehicle.  

Unless it's a folder under 30".

Good catch !  AR pistol would work also.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top