Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 1/5/2007 7:56:59 AM EDT
Ok, it sounds like there are a few I wasn't aware of.

We're in the middle of the process to begin legal action with some areas but we're sending out legal notices to as many places as we can that are not complying.

The requirement is that purchase permits and gun inspections be treated like any other legal business by the police station..they can't have restricted hours or onerus demands.

The 10 question test is legal. Charging up to $5.00 for a notary is, but they cannot demand you use their notary.

http://www.firearmsalliance.org/AGOpinion7-17-06Permits.htm

If you can, please list the locality and their violations here or email them to [email protected]  Thanks.
Link Posted: 1/5/2007 8:43:58 AM EDT
[#1]
Burton police dept. (in Genesee county) has restricted hours for registration. It is only available between 10:00am-12:00pm and 2:00pm-4:00pm Tuesday through Friday. Any other other business is Mon-Fri all day long (up until 4:30 or 5:00) I have to take time off from work to register a pistol since the soonest I can make it there during my normal work schedule would be about 4:30.

Thanks,
Kris
Link Posted: 1/5/2007 8:44:27 AM EDT
[#2]
Farmington Hills requires a wait period; min of 6 days to max of 13 depending on which day you apply.  

Thank you for working on this.
Link Posted: 1/5/2007 9:06:27 AM EDT
[#3]
Garden City has limited hours. They only are open for gun stuff a few hours on a couple days of the week.

Don

Link Posted: 1/5/2007 11:00:34 AM EDT
[#4]
I have a CPL, but for those without, Roseville has a waiting period, and they have limited hours for registration.
Link Posted: 1/5/2007 11:34:32 AM EDT
[#5]
Allen Park PD  

YOu can only get permits and Inspections on Wed and Thurs.....

Ant
Link Posted: 1/5/2007 11:44:23 AM EDT
[#6]
Emailed you
Link Posted: 1/5/2007 1:07:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Good job at going after the ones that are being difficult, but I would rather see time and energy and money put into getting rid of the law all together.
Link Posted: 1/5/2007 1:14:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Woodhaven PD will only do safety inspections on Tuesdays and Thursdays.
Link Posted: 1/5/2007 1:23:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Warren pd is only open two days with crappy hours.
Link Posted: 1/5/2007 2:03:35 PM EDT
[#10]
Well, the issue is, we have a House of Representatives now that isn't going to be jumping up and down to pass good gun legislation..and if the Senate goes next time, we'll have a hard time holding the line.

Right now, the law already protects us from some of these things..its a bad law to begin with, and then with localities disregarding it, its made that much worse.

Link Posted: 1/5/2007 2:05:01 PM EDT
[#11]
PS: If you live in Rosedale, my best suggestion would be to move. The biggest issue we'll have with them is that they've proven themselves vindictive against anyone who disputes their authority.
Link Posted: 1/5/2007 2:35:36 PM EDT
[#12]
Waterford has restricted hours and only available a few days of the week.  Thanks for working on this.
Link Posted: 1/5/2007 2:36:07 PM EDT
[#13]
Melvindale PD has a 5-10 day waiting period
Link Posted: 1/5/2007 3:46:29 PM EDT
[#14]
Wow again I am amazed and blessed I guess. Macomb county ( I am in Washington Twp so I have to go the sheriff ), is open normal business hours, mon-fri and there is no wait , unless you call the 5 minutes for them to do the paper work. I always get atleast 3 permits when I go "just incase" I find something else I want as well.

Never a hassle , and never a wait, never any problems.

Good luck and sorry to hear you guys have crappy PD's to deal with on this.
Link Posted: 1/5/2007 4:01:12 PM EDT
[#15]
Clawson keeps your pistol overnight to do the inspection "to make sure its not stolen". i reckon it should only take them 10 minutes.  I used to live in berkley and they were horrible one week waiting period. I would like to get a CPL but I take medication for a panic disorder and I am sure they would deny me.  
Link Posted: 1/5/2007 4:34:59 PM EDT
[#16]
According to this page
www.ferndalepolice.org/find_how/faq.html#gun_register
Ferndale is only doing inspections (registration as they call it) on Tuesday and Wednesday from 10am to 11:30am.  When I went in there this week at 11am they even said they'd have to find out if somebody was around to do it.  I don't know about the purchase permit because I have a CPL.  The FAQ also says they charge $10 for the notary fee.
Link Posted: 1/5/2007 5:44:03 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Wow again I am amazed and blessed I guess. Macomb county ( I am in Washington Twp so I have to go the sheriff ), is open normal business hours, mon-fri and there is no wait , unless you call the 5 minutes for them to do the paper work. I always get atleast 3 permits when I go "just incase" I find something else I want as well.

Another +1 for Macomb Co. Sheriff. The only wait I had was for the two guys ahead of me with their pistols. Also my NFA sign off was a snap. Bustoff must have them trained well.
Link Posted: 1/5/2007 6:04:32 PM EDT
[#18]
height=8
Quoted:
height=8
Quoted:

Another +1 for Macomb Co. Sheriff. The only wait I had was for the two guys ahead of me with their pistols. Also my NFA sign off was a snap. Bustoff must have them trained well. hats
Link Posted: 1/5/2007 6:33:42 PM EDT
[#19]
Dearborn had a wait period for the first permit, nothing after that.

Last time I tried, registration was only on Wed and Fri 9-4, even though the desk was open Mon to Fri 9-4:30.  Its the same desk that does copies of police reports.

I also heard from a friend that Allen Park has very limited days and times.  Not sure what they are though.
Link Posted: 1/5/2007 8:14:12 PM EDT
[#20]
height=8
Quoted:
Warren pd is only open two days with crappy hours.

they're open Tues & Wed 2pm-4pm, and Thurs & Fri 10am-Noon. Crappy hours indeed!!
They also charge 10 dollars for their notary, but they do not force you to use them.
Also, these hours seem to change from time to time.
Link Posted: 1/6/2007 5:54:52 AM EDT
[#21]
Berrien County SO won't do fingerprinting on Mondays.
Link Posted: 1/6/2007 11:14:27 AM EDT
[#22]
Livonia.

And the little  lady behind the counter has no problem telling the sheep that since it is regular police business, they are allowed to have hours, charge and make people wait.
Link Posted: 1/6/2007 11:36:49 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Livonia.

And the little  lady behind the counter has no problem telling the sheep that since it is regular police business, they are allowed to have hours, charge and make people wait.

Honestly... I whine about Plymouth Twp, but only because one of the ladies behind the counter is a complete bitch and the other one is only slightly tolerable.  They only restrict the pistol registration hours by a couple hours less than regular business hours, and make me call in the information and, wait 24 hours and then come back to have it registered.

It's definitely bad, but not half as bad as what some of your towns are doing.  From then on, I've brought that opinion with me every time I brought in a pistol for registration.  If they give me crap again, I'm just going to ask for the cheif and show him how they're in violation.  I've only brought three pistols in since then (all at once) and they didn't give me any problems other than telling me my cardboard box wasn't good enough... so I had to go to the car and bring them back in a rifle case.  Then she was pissed that I used one pistol lock to lock two of the pistols together.

I would think going in during their normal business hours (but not normal pistol registration hours) and asking for the Cheif might work.  I bet in most cases, the police Cheif either doesn't know their pistol registration policies, or doesn't know that what their admin staff is doing is prohibitted.
Link Posted: 1/6/2007 4:22:51 PM EDT
[#24]
Sheesh. I registered one last week and the biggest delay was that they deputy chief took my gun and wouldn't give it back..

..Without explaining to me the whole history of Sig and Sig Sauer and why the German police used the P6 and what they changed to and the whole run down on every other P-series firearm and complaining about the AWB..and..and..etc...etc..

But he liked my gun.

and then he typed up my green card himself since the secretary was going home.
Link Posted: 1/6/2007 4:52:08 PM EDT
[#25]
Inkster has restrictions. Only tues-wed-fri from 1pm to 3:30pm.
Link Posted: 1/6/2007 5:06:02 PM EDT
[#26]
Farmington doesn't seem to have any time restrictions as they handled a saftey inspection for me at 7pm on a Tuesday night a couple weeks ago.  I believe they still do the $5 fee though.  It's been awhile since I got my CPL so I haven't confirmed if they are still charging it.
Link Posted: 1/6/2007 5:39:34 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Sheesh. I registered one last week and the biggest delay was that they deputy chief took my gun and wouldn't give it back..

..Without explaining to me the whole history of Sig and Sig Sauer and why the German police used the P6 and what they changed to and the whole run down on every other P-series firearm and complaining about the AWB..and..and..etc...etc..

But he liked my gun.

That was the same with me when I registered my SA 1911 with the Sterling Heights PD.  The officer behind the desk said, I hope you don't mind, but when you get this back, it'll have a ton of my finger prints all over it.  The Sterling Heights PD gets you in and out within 10 minutes at the most.

Link Posted: 1/6/2007 9:16:25 PM EDT
[#28]
Like Besson said. Garden City has very restrictive hours. I had to wait 5wks to get there to do my inspection because I couldn't make their schedule. I no longer live in Garden City, whoa!
 The office/window is open all wk for everything else, but they only do the firearm stuff on a couple days during certain hours. It blows, they know they aren't following state law, but they don't give a shit. If that window is open for resident business Mon-Fri, it's supposed to be open for all city business including firearms?
Link Posted: 1/6/2007 10:01:11 PM EDT
[#29]
Center Line has a waiting period, or at least, did not give permits the same day and took several days anyway.

Then when I went to pick it up to go purchase my pistol something needed to be signed and that person (Chief or whatever) was busy. I noted to the girls working the desk that legally, permits had to be presented the day applied for and that I had already had to wait X# days. I didn't make a scene or yell, but there was definitely frustration in my voice. After I said that and was basically told nothing could be done, I walked out and complained no more. Luckily,  1 minute later they called me on my cell as I had just left the parking lot and said it was signed. So I got it, bought my pistol and brought it back for inspection. The Chief came out and hassled me for giving the girls a hard time. I said, I didn't give them a hard time and pointed out the law and that I had already waited days for something that was supposed to be provided right away. He commented on budget constraints.

Wouldn't know if they're still making people wait, but this was only a few months ago.
Link Posted: 1/6/2007 10:37:48 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

But he liked my gun.

Bill is a gun guy.  He just won't admit it in front of the chief.
Link Posted: 1/7/2007 1:37:57 AM EDT
[#31]
Livonia only registers pistols from 8AM-3PM, I think those are there hours for everything, but those are still bankers hours.  They charge $5 per license, and they make you wait 3 days before they will issue it.
Link Posted: 1/7/2007 7:32:39 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
The requirement is that purchase permits and gun inspections be treated like any other legal business by the police station..they can't have restricted hours or onerus demands.

Generally speaking, how do you define "restricted hours" ?

Link Posted: 1/7/2007 7:36:31 AM EDT
[#33]
According to the AG opinion, the PD must provide the purchase permit/inspection during the entire time that it's open.  They cannot, for example, say that you can only get your permit on Monday between 9-4PM.

Link Posted: 1/7/2007 8:26:48 AM EDT
[#34]
Royal Joke: First time applicants for a purchase permit will need to bring a Michigan Driver's License or State ID and Birth Certificate or Passport. Permits/inspections Monday - Thursday: 1 pm till 4 pm
Link Posted: 1/7/2007 10:29:24 AM EDT
[#35]
So is someone making a master list and going to ask the AG to contact these departments or what?
Link Posted: 1/7/2007 2:08:30 PM EDT
[#36]
Well, we're compiling them, although our idea on the tactics required is changing very rapidly. The problem is very widespread.

Anyway. Discussions are going on right now and I'll keep you posted.

PS: (Are you Kerry? Brad talked to you the other night, I think? Would you be interested in being included in the discussions? Your input would be welcome, I'm sure.)
Link Posted: 1/7/2007 5:19:33 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
I have a CPL, but for those without, Roseville has a waiting period, and they have limited hours for registration.

? Is it still like that?

I remember it being like that once a while back (mid-90s) but since it's been OK. The hours do suck though.

Of course I just registered/"safety inspected" one this past Spring with my CCW and it's even better now...

The cops have gotten better there too. One was an older guy that, once you got past the frown, was a decent guy and the last one was a guy about my age (early/mid 30s) that talked my ear off about shooting.

Edit: I moved to Oakland Co. last August and have no idea who I'd register with out here (just outside Clarkston) when I buy another.
Link Posted: 1/7/2007 11:17:02 PM EDT
[#38]
email sent with info on Wyandotte and River Rouge
Link Posted: 1/8/2007 1:52:27 AM EDT
[#39]
I just sent MSP Legal an email on this.  Hopefully they can put it in their monthly legal update that all departments get.
Link Posted: 1/8/2007 3:07:55 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
Berrien County SO won't do it on Monday (or was it Friday).

Thats odd.  I know their sheriff, he is pretty pro-gun.  I bet he does not know what is going on.  Next time, if you want, ask for Paul and see what he thinks.
Link Posted: 1/8/2007 5:03:58 AM EDT
[#41]
Kent County SD is requiring the use of their notary at $5.
Link Posted: 1/8/2007 10:28:18 AM EDT
[#42]
I have to register a rifle as a handgun this week, and I know that Westland requires you to jump through a few hoops and only certain days/hours. Anyone got the Attorney General's Opinion number on this so I can quote properly?

Dave
Link Posted: 1/8/2007 10:46:47 AM EDT
[#43]
If you mean the letter from the AG`s office on permits I have it in pdf form I could email it to you.
Link Posted: 1/8/2007 11:33:19 AM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 1/8/2007 2:55:43 PM EDT
[#45]
Thankyou, I'll see if I can't print it at work tonight and take it in should I have a problem.
Link Posted: 1/8/2007 7:04:11 PM EDT
[#46]
Birmingham has restricted hours.  I asked why, they told me that they didn't have the budget to allocate enough staff to gun registrations.  !!!

Lathrup Village also has restricted hours.  But they do give away free gun cable locks--there's a box of them on the counter, even after-hours.
Link Posted: 1/9/2007 1:47:18 AM EDT
[#47]
Damn,you guys/gals got some crazy stuff going on down there.
Up here,the office hours are 8am to 6pm,monday-friday*they might be open saturday*
No charge,no waiting period.Hell,they even laminate the card for you.
And,the ladies behind the counter are pretty nice aswell.
Link Posted: 1/9/2007 7:06:54 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
Kent County SD is requiring the use of their notary at $5.

since when?
Link Posted: 1/9/2007 7:08:17 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
But they do give away free gun cable locks--there's a box of them on the counter, even after-hours.

that really dosnt have anything to do with the department, thats probably a action of project homesafe.  they donate the locks to police departments to give out.
Link Posted: 1/9/2007 2:12:19 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
Birmingham has restricted hours.  I asked why, they told me that they didn't have the budget to allocate enough staff to gun registrations.  !!!

Lathrup Village also has restricted hours.  But they do give away free gun cable locks--there's a box of them on the counter, even after-hours.

Mmmmbullshit. That's why the state law allows the $5 fee, to pay someone to do the registrations.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Top Top