Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/16/2017 8:25:00 PM EDT
http://www.newschannel5.com/news/local-news/house-speaker-beth-harwell-running-for-tennessee-governor

NASHVILLE, Tenn. (AP) - Republican House Speaker Beth Harwell said she’s running for Tennessee governor.

Harwell said she has "a proven, practical results record" with nearly 30 years of legislative experience including six years in leadership. Harwell cited her work on issues ranging from taxes to education during an interview.

When Harwell was elected House speaker in 2011, she became the first woman to serve in the post, and she’s among the longest-serving current members in the House.

Other Republicans running to succeed term-limited Republic Governor Bill Haslam in 2018 included Economic and Community Development Commissioner Randy Boyd, Williamson County businessman Bill Lee, and State Senator Mae Beavers.
View Quote
For those whom may not know, Harwell makes Haslam look like Pat Buchanan. She's so lite-Republican, she has to carry weights to hold her down on the ground..............  

Make your donations to Sen. Mae Beavers PLEASE!
Link Posted: 7/16/2017 8:32:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Isn't Diane Black running?
Link Posted: 7/16/2017 8:49:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
Not announced that she is.
Link Posted: 7/16/2017 8:50:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Oops.
Link Posted: 7/16/2017 10:02:44 PM EDT
[#4]
I thought Dianne was a never trumper?
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 7:18:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I thought Dianne was a never trumper?
View Quote
What does that have to do with the subject of the thread?  
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 11:16:06 PM EDT
[#6]
I like Beavers, but don't know if she's got the juice for it. I wouldn't vote Harwell for dog catcher. If she gets the nomination, I'll be voting for Basil Marceaux again in protest.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 3:58:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I like Beavers, but don't know if she's got the juice for it. I wouldn't vote Harwell for dog catcher. If she gets the nomination, I'll be voting for Basil Marceaux again in protest.
View Quote
Harwell gets the soccer mom vote & liberal-lite vote. Mae gets the rural vote & gun owners vote.

I'm thinking what's up for grabs is the business vote, SR citizens & the not politically active vote.

Inner city vote will lean to Harwell, IMO. She'll promise them everything they desire.
Link Posted: 7/27/2017 9:21:24 AM EDT
[#8]
Does anyone know anything about getting big public pledge movements started?

I have voted for the GOP candidate for governor in every race since I was eligible.  I will not vote for Beth Harwell in a primary or general election for Tennessee governor under any circumstance.  Period.  

I want GOP leadership and voters to know that before the primary, and I'd like a few hundred thousand like-minded Tennessee voters to join in the sentiment.  My days of holding my nose and voting against Democrats are over.
Link Posted: 7/27/2017 8:25:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Does anyone know anything about getting big public pledge movements started?

I have voted for the GOP candidate for governor in every race since I was eligible.  I will not vote for Beth Harwell in a primary or general election for Tennessee governor under any circumstance.  Period.  

I want GOP leadership and voters to know that before the primary, and I'd like a few hundred thousand like-minded Tennessee voters to join in the sentiment.  My days of holding my nose and voting against Democrats are over.
View Quote
First of all, you're not alone in your sentiments.

Secondly, the Dims won't have hardly anyone with any sort of name recognition what so ever running on their side of the ticket for Gov. Only the yellow dog Dims will vote for them (whomever it turns out to be) anyway.

I'm not convinced Harwell is going to sell in the rural areas. Beavers can & does campaign in rural areas already. Time will tell if Harwell resorts to purse swinging should it come down to her & Mae.

For the sad/bad news, once Alexander retires after this term, Haslam is going to be the front runner for his seat. Then we're really fucked eight ways from Sunday........  
Link Posted: 7/31/2017 11:25:40 PM EDT
[#10]
Bob Cole said:  "The Dims won't have hardly anyone with any sort of name recognition what so ever running on their side of the ticket for Gov."

Karl Dean is running...he's at least got name recognition in middle TN.  Not sure how much statewide.

David
Link Posted: 8/2/2017 9:07:01 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 8/2/2017 7:09:04 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Karl Dean is running...he's at least got name recognition in middle TN.  Not sure how much statewide.

David
View Quote
True. I forgot about that asshole. Aside from him, is there another Dim on their side with more than $2K in the bank?
Link Posted: 8/2/2017 9:08:14 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

True. I forgot about that asshole. Aside from him, is there another Dim on their side with more than $2K in the bank?
View Quote
Trick question.

There is no such thing as a Democrat worth more than $2k in the bank.
Link Posted: 8/3/2017 8:26:00 AM EDT
[#14]
I like Boyd and that's who I'll vote for.

Self-made businessman who grew up in a small rural town.  

I've met him on numerous occasions.  Smart, humble, and genuinely wants to help the state grow.

Harwell and Beavers are a joke.
Link Posted: 8/3/2017 8:09:58 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I've met him on numerous occasions.  Smart, humble, and genuinely wants to help the state grow.

View Quote
Not to belittle your choice at all, but who the hell has heard of Boyd outside of his small enclave? Does one (aside from his supporters) honestly believe he has a snowball's chance of winning?

I grant you Harwell is a joke for gun owners, but Beavers most certainly is not. She has the support of something like 74% of the TFA membership in a straw poll. She's carried the bucket for the 2nd Amendment on many issues.

Diane Black announced today she's now in the race. Three females now running, all on the Republican side. Wonder if the Hildebeast crowd will cross over & vote for one of them?  
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 7:05:53 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Not to belittle your choice at all, but who the hell has heard of Boyd outside of his small enclave? Does one (aside from his supporters) honestly believe he has a snowball's chance of winning?

I grant you Harwell is a joke for gun owners, but Beavers most certainly is not. She has the support of something like 74% of the TFA membership in a straw poll. She's carried the bucket for the 2nd Amendment on many issues.

Diane Black announced today she's now in the race. Three females now running, all on the Republican side. Wonder if the Hildebeast crowd will cross over & vote for one of them?  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Boyd isn't a career politician whereas the alternatives are.  With a focus on the economy, Boyd will pull D votes to our side (this is not insignificant considering the political leanings in Nashville, Knoxville, Memphis, and Chattanooga) .  Beavers has sided with my current rep. Andy Holt, who's a moron, on multiple issues. Don't get me wrong, her voting record is good, but it'll work against her in the metro areas.
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 7:39:15 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Boyd isn't a career politician whereas the alternatives are.  With a focus on the economy, Boyd will pull D votes to our side (this is not insignificant considering the political leanings in Nashville, Knoxville, Memphis, and Chattanooga) .  Beavers has sided with my current rep. Andy Holt, who's a moron, on multiple issues. Don't get me wrong, her voting record is good, but it'll work against her in the metro areas.
View Quote
You have valid points on many issues. I disagree about the Dim vote in Memphis & Nashville switching over to Boyd though. Someone needs to look it up but I'm not sure even Lamar pulled Davidson Co during a Gov race by itself. Those idiots vote Dim no matter who is on the ballot. I'm not sure even Haslam beat McWhirter during his first race in Nashville?

For me, I'm strictly a 2nd Amendment voter & Beavers beats the living hell out of everyone else on that issue. Usually (not always, I admit) when a pol is strong 2nd Amendment, everything else will fall in line.

While I wouldn't hesitate to vote for a Boyd for Congress in my district, I don't think he has enough gravitas to factor in a state-wide race.

Perhaps our esteemed historian David Lewis can weigh in on this?  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top