Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/7/2016 4:17:51 PM EDT
SB 1483/HB 1748 (Constitutional Carry by Green/Matheny) is up in Senate Judiciary Tuesday March 8, at 3:30 and House Civil Sub Wednesday March 9 at 3:00.

West Virginia just proved that the People's voice CAN be heard, their legislature just overrode their spineless governor's veto of the same initiative.
Link Posted: 3/7/2016 5:32:24 PM EDT
[#1]
I remain hopeful in spite of the legislature letting me down every time.
Link Posted: 3/7/2016 7:39:00 PM EDT
[#2]
I would love to see it happen. When this came up earlier this year I got into a discussion in a facebook group for Tennessee gun owners. The amount of flak from other gun owners opposed to this was crazy. Me and maybe 2 other guys kept trying to stick up for the proposed law, but it was like arguing with a bunch of Anti gunners. They predicted doom and gloom if there weren't a licensing process and mandatory training required to carry. They used a lot of the same antigun talking points. Every crazy person could carry then, it would be the wild west with shootouts in the street etc. And all this from Gun people. Tennessee gun people no less. I was very disappoint. We can really be our own worst enemy some times.
Link Posted: 3/9/2016 4:47:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I would love to see it happen. When this came up earlier this year I got into a discussion in a facebook group for Tennessee gun owners. The amount of flak from other gun owners opposed to this was crazy. Me and maybe 2 other guys kept trying to stick up for the proposed law, but it was like arguing with a bunch of Anti gunners. They predicted doom and gloom if there weren't a licensing process and mandatory training required to carry. They used a lot of the same antigun talking points. Every crazy person could carry then, it would be the wild west with shootouts in the street etc. And all this from Gun people. Tennessee gun people no less. I was very disappoint. We can really be our own worst enemy some times.
View Quote

So what do they think is stopping crazy people from carrying right now?  Laws?  Because even crazy people follow the laws?

Unfortunately, we are our own worst enemy most of the time, not just sometimes.
Link Posted: 3/9/2016 5:46:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 3/9/2016 9:13:03 PM EDT
[#5]
It failed the Senate judiciary committee.

4 for, 4 against, and one not wanting to take a side.
Link Posted: 3/9/2016 10:20:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

So what do they think is stopping crazy people from carrying right now?  Laws?  Because even crazy people follow the laws?

Unfortunately, we are our own worst enemy most of the time, not just sometimes.
View Quote

A while back, the antis were using the publicity that Open Carry Texas had been getting, to make a push for store chains to ban carry.  They put out pictures of a little girl with an ice cream cone, and a scruffy looking guy holding a black rifle, then captioned it with the statement that 'one of these is banned in Kroger, but not the one you probably think'.

From what I heard, The Tennessean did an article on it, and somebody pointed out in the comments section that it didn't matter whether or not Kroger banned rifles, since TN state law did not allow carrying rifles, then somebody else posted that they had a TN carry permit and their permit allowed them to carry rifles.

Hard to say whether the idiot actually had a permit, or was just an anti trying to save their flawed campaign by putting out false information.  Either one is possible, considering some of the derp I have heard gun owners say regarding what it legal/illegal with guns.
Link Posted: 3/9/2016 10:37:10 PM EDT
[#7]
it would be nice, but i would still keep renewing my permit because it allows me to travel to other states and i travel constantly.

there are a LOT of battles we need to fight.   constitutional carry is not the one i would choose to spend a lot of political capital on.  others may feel differently.

i would greatly prefer to see

- machine gun registry re-opened
- suppressors purchased without $200 stamp
- <16" barreled rifles purchased without $200 stamp and transported between states without permission slip from ATF
- elimination of "gun free zones"
- elimination of 11% excise tax on ammo
- importation restrictions lifted
etc etc etc

and we have really come a long way in the past few years from when you weren't even allowed to have a loaded stripper clip in the same vehicle as the rifle.
Link Posted: 3/9/2016 10:40:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
it would be nice, but i would still keep renewing my permit because it allows me to travel to other states and i travel constantly.

there are a LOT of battles we need to fight.   constitutional carry is not the one i would choose to spend a lot of political capital on.  others may feel differently.

- <16" barreled rifles purchased without $200 stamp and transported between states without permission slip from ATF
etc etc etc

and we have really come a long way in the past few years from when you weren't even allowed to have a loaded stripper clip in the same vehicle as the rifle.
View Quote

- NFA ruled unConstitutional
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 5:18:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Three Republican Senators were responsible for the failure (actually 4 as Sen. Brian Kelsey could have gotten one more "Aye" vote had he wanted it) Doug Overbey, John Stevens and Todd Gardenhire.
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 9:41:50 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

etc etc etc

View Quote

These are all battles for the Federal level. This is a State level battle.
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 12:27:36 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

etc etc etc

View Quote

The same folks that got you the ability to carry a loaded stripper clip, or a full magazine, or a round in the chamber sans having to pay a tax to exercise your right to bear arms in your vehicle are the ones fighting for Constitutional Carry, as azathoth said, the majority of your list are Federal items the State (correctly or not with regard to the 10th Amendment, which we as a People have apparently given up on recognizing) has no control over.

As I travel a lot, I too will keep my permit and pay whatever vig the Police State requires, (Department of Safety and Homeland security actually gave back $17million + to the General fund this year that they had overcharged for permits since inception) but the 70 year old folks that need to protect themselves, the young single mother that needs to have a firearm for personal protection to and from work should not be paying a tax ($100.00 now) to avail themselves of the promise to the Citizen to be allowed to keep and bear arms.

This a fight we could win if enough People got riled up and active, or, we can let Haslam continue to let the Chamber of commerce control us all and keep the Jim Crow "Intent to go armed clause" on our books.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top