Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 12/20/2015 10:58:47 PM EDT
Well, we are officially moving in. Took possession of the keys to the rental house in Arlington.

Movers should be showing up Saturday or Sunday with our stuff.
Link Posted: 12/21/2015 2:12:21 AM EDT
[#1]
Welcome in advance. I live near Nashville but I do know that there is a huge Volkswagen plant just to the northeast of downtown 'Nooga.
Link Posted: 12/21/2015 6:44:03 AM EDT
[#2]
Komatsu has a plant in Chattanooga.

Cleveland may have some places in need of a machinist as well.
Link Posted: 12/21/2015 11:23:41 AM EDT
[#3]
GE just purchased Alstom and they are currently hiring CNC machinists. Good place to work, I have been there since 2009.  Be advised, there are two Alstom plants in Chattanooga, you want to look at the turbine plant, not the boiler plant.  If you want more information, let me know.
Link Posted: 12/21/2015 4:00:10 PM EDT
[#4]
VW, Komatsu, Alstom as mentioned.  I pass several machine shops on the way to work (Pineville Road, Manufacturer's Road area), but no idea who/what they are.  Norfolk Southern railroad also, but the diesel and assembly shops have shut down and moved; it's primarily a switchyard and fuel rack now.

Re: the wife, the school system uses both employee drivers and owner/contractors.  If she can get in with the owner/contractor crowd, relief drivers are always in demand.  IM me if she is interested.

Regarding housing, stay north of the river.  Northern end of Red Bank, Hixson, Soddy Daisy are all generally good areas.  Ooltewah, Collegedale, Harrison are too, but traffic will be worse.
Link Posted: 12/22/2015 6:20:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Thank you all who have replied.

We will be down there on the 27th till the 31st of December. Kind of a sucky time to be traveling for job and housing but I need out of this state and it's the only time that I have.

I currently have a job interview with a Machine company in Chattanooga on Tuesday. This company actually hired me last February but we couldn't fund the move so I declined till we could. Now he wants to meet up while I am down there. I am hoping it will be a hire opportunity. Then all we need is to find a rental house pretty quick.

The areas of interest are from Chattanooga to Bristol, TN. Any guidance in those areas would be most helpful! Also this is ARF.com so I think it's mandatory to ask what gun shops are around those areas worth visiting one day. 'd imagine you guys have all kinds of stuff on the walls. Up here all we have had is 3000.00 preban AR's. Pretty much nothing else. Even the Walther P22's are banned...what a JOKE!
Link Posted: 12/22/2015 10:09:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Whatever you do, DON'T come down here and then tell everyone you meet about how much better *fill in the blank* was in Connecticut. Yes, the pizza won't be as good here, but that's a small price to pay for your freedom, isn't it?

Link Posted: 12/22/2015 10:41:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thank you all who have replied.

We will be down there on the 27th till the 31st of December. Kind of a sucky time to be traveling for job and housing but I need out of this state and it's the only time that I have.

I currently have a job interview with a Machine company in Chattanooga on Tuesday. This company actually hired me last February but we couldn't fund the move so I declined till we could. Now he wants to meet up while I am down there. I am hoping it will be a hire opportunity. Then all we need is to find a rental house pretty quick.

The areas of interest are from Chattanooga to Bristol, TN. Any guidance in those areas would be most helpful! Also this is ARF.com so I think it's mandatory to ask what gun shops are around those areas worth visiting one day. 'd imagine you guys have all kinds of stuff on the walls. Up here all we have had is 3000.00 preban AR's. Pretty much nothing else. Even the Walther P22's are banned...what a JOKE!
View Quote

Bristol is pretty much out in the boonies. Chatt, OTOH, is a mere 2 hrs from Nashville, a bit over an hour to Hotlanta (women LOVE to shop there) & about 45 minutes from white water rafting & a bit milder kayaking.

The best gun shop in the SE corner of TN is Benton Shooters Supply. Not necessarily the best pricing, but their inventory beats everyone else by far. The Chatt gun shows have greatly improved as well. Lots of Civil War battlefield stuff in the area too, in case you're a history buff.

Be advised, the speed limit signs on the interstate are simply suggestions.................  
Link Posted: 12/22/2015 10:51:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Look into oak ridge and DOE/nuclear world.  Lots of stuff going around here.
Link Posted: 12/23/2015 2:53:38 AM EDT
[#9]
What's up Chris!  Been a while.  You would be the 3rd CTHTF member to relocate to TN in the last few years.  I'm getting ready to leave to move back north though, the pizza is that bad.

Link Posted: 12/23/2015 10:47:30 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
What's up Chris!  Been a while.  You would be the 3rd CTHTF member to relocate to TN in the last few years.  I'm getting ready to leave to move back north though, the pizza is that bad.

View Quote

May your (mozzarella) chains set lightly upon you, then.

Link Posted: 12/23/2015 12:21:36 PM EDT
[#11]
Welcome in advance! I just moved to the Chattanooga area in August from AZ. I've been loving it.
Link Posted: 12/23/2015 4:49:04 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote

Hey, how have you been? I can't wait to get down there. We have to room booked on the 27th through the 31st. Hopefully I can apply to places, see the areas and get a chance to make this happen. I need outta here!

I won't miss anything from here!
Link Posted: 12/23/2015 6:23:36 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Hey, how have you been? I can't wait to get down there. We have to room booked on the 27th through the 31st. Hopefully I can apply to places, see the areas and get a chance to make this happen. I need outta here!

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah, Malloy really screwed things beyond recognition for CT after Sandy Hook.  I figure he didn't want to fix any of the mental illness and crime/sentencing issues in CT because it would have affected him directly as a mentally ill criminal.

You will like TN for a lot of reasons, but may be surprised at how much shooting/training we had available in CT in such a small state.  Between Blue Trails, Metacon and High Rock, man we had some stuff going on.  Do a search for rifle ranges and you'll find that CT actually has more than TN.  See if you can get a piece of land to shoot on, that's the way to go.

The low cost of living is insane.  I have nice sized house, two car garage, big yard and swimming pool and I'm paying less for my mortgage than I paid for rent in my shitty college apartment.  My neighbor was complaining about his real estate property tax and it was less than I was paying for annual vehicle tax in CT for our two cars.  

Link Posted: 12/23/2015 6:42:08 PM EDT
[#14]
Plenty of machine shops around Chattanooga, industrial and job shops. The tool and die market is starting to get bigger also with VW in the area. I've been in both fields, let me know when/if you start looking for jobs in our area. I don't have alot of contacts, but a few and would gladly help out a fellow arfcom member the best that I can.
Link Posted: 12/26/2015 9:21:34 PM EDT
[#15]
Well .... we are in downtown Chattanooga. With the interview or interviews on tuesday, we are heading out to venture tomorrow,  Monday and Wednesday to look for rentals and job opportunities.

So if you see a Blue Dodge Challenger around chattanooga. ..thats me.
Link Posted: 1/5/2016 5:05:09 PM EDT
[#16]
Well, as of now nothing solid with 2 interviews that I had down in Chattanooga last week.

I just got an return email from a shop in Memphis. I am trying to talk to him today or tomorrow about the job.

How's the outskirts of Memphis? I assume the city is just like every other city.

I wished I had more time down there.
Link Posted: 1/5/2016 5:33:57 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

How's the outskirts of Memphis? I assume the city is just like every city.

View Quote

Define every other......

Seriously, Memphis and Chattanooga are very different for the most part.
Link Posted: 1/5/2016 7:22:26 PM EDT
[#18]
Well when I grew up in Texas it was rural areas. When I moved to Connecticut, I was underage and had to come up here. We lived just on the edge of the city and I went to all city schools. When I married, my wife and I moved to a different town just 1 town over from the city (5 minute drive).

We want to live out of the city for the most part. The temporary house rental that we would need hopefully would be only a year before we target a house. We like Victorian or farmhouse style homes. I don't think we'll ever do modular or mobile home but never know.

I just want to make sure I don't have drivebys outside everynight. It's hard to see areas by google earth. You can spend entire night just hopping on there and panning around which I do. Chattanooga seemed decent.
Link Posted: 1/5/2016 7:28:59 PM EDT
[#19]
Chattanooga has its problem areas for sure, but not too far out of town is a world of difference. Memphis is different in every respect for the most part. It is also MUCH larger than Chattanooga.

Plus, there's not mountains over there........
Link Posted: 1/5/2016 7:44:05 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Well, as of now nothing solid with 2 interviews that I had down in Chattanooga last week.

I just got an return email from a shop in Memphis. I am trying to talk to him today or tomorrow about the job.

How's the outskirts of Memphis? I assume the city is just like every other city.

I wished I had more time down there.
View Quote

Chris, the eastern suburbs of Memphis are really nice.  Germantown, Collierville, Lakeland and Arlington are the preferred suburbs.  I live in Germantown.  Further east into Fayette County you'll get more land and cheaper prices, but schools and amenities become an issue.  Schools in the suburbs I mentioned are good, taxes are very reasonable and there are good housing options abound.  I would say Memphis is probably a lot like New Haven... there are areas that you just don't go to, but unless you are buying drugs, you wouldn't be there anyhow.  Only real problem in the suburbs is property crime and for the most part, it's because people (residents) are stupid and leave car doors unlocked or valuables in plain sight.    

Link Posted: 1/6/2016 11:38:28 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Whatever you do, DON'T come down here and then tell everyone you meet about how much better *fill in the blank* was in Connecticut. Yes, the pizza won't be as good here, but that's a small price to pay for your freedom, isn't it?
View Quote

Pizza does suck down here.

And people talk funny.
Link Posted: 1/6/2016 6:25:44 PM EDT
[#22]
Why not look around Nashville or the surrounding communities for work? There are a ton of Yankee expatriates down here who mY be able to point you in the right direction. I'm a local Native American, but not much use in helping with employment matters, unless you drive a semi-truck.
Link Posted: 1/6/2016 9:13:06 PM EDT
[#23]
I got the job down in Memphis!

So now I have started my residence search! You guys have no idea on how much this means to me.

Link Posted: 1/6/2016 11:10:52 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I got the job down in Memphis!

So now I have started my residence search! You guys have no idea on how much this means to me.

View Quote

Congratulations!

Now it's time to up-armor your vehicle and have CAS on standby.

Link Posted: 1/7/2016 1:40:33 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 1/7/2016 1:43:49 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 1/7/2016 7:34:39 AM EDT
[#27]
Do you guys have kids where school choice is going to be a major factor in where you buy?
Link Posted: 1/7/2016 7:54:14 AM EDT
[#28]
You might also look in South Haven Ms, its also a suburb of Memphis. A lot of Memphis folks call it Safe Haven.
Link Posted: 1/7/2016 8:22:06 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I played a show in New Haven when I still played music, probably eight or nine years ago. That place seemed to suck but on a different level.
View Quote

I spent two weeks driving for an auto parts contract out of Windsor Locks. It sucks even worse in February and all the runs are at night.
Link Posted: 1/7/2016 11:37:19 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
GE just purchased Alstom and they are currently hiring CNC machinists. Good place to work, I have been there since 2009.  Be advised, there are two Alstom plants in Chattanooga, you want to look at the turbine plant, not the boiler plant.  If you want more information, let me know.
View Quote

Which Alstom do you work at?  We just supplied some stuff to you all.  It was a nice project.
Link Posted: 1/12/2016 6:32:44 PM EDT
[#31]
We sent a deposit on a house rental south of Millington today. The school seems good from what we've been reading. It's a small development off Route 3 just north of Charles Baker Airport.

As soon as we get the application approved, we'll have a start date for work and the move.

I am sooo exicted for a new start.
Link Posted: 1/12/2016 6:37:50 PM EDT
[#32]
"I played a show in New Haven when I still played music, probably eight or nine years ago. That place seemed to suck but on a different level."

Hank,

New Haven, Hartford, Waterbury and Bridgeport all have a bunch of suck! It's like that everywhere though. I always say, go where you're happy. Only you'll know when you are.
Link Posted: 1/12/2016 7:43:48 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 1/13/2016 11:56:16 PM EDT
[#34]
Where's the job location at?
Link Posted: 1/14/2016 7:32:52 AM EDT
[#35]
It's right alongside Memphis Int'l Airport.
Link Posted: 1/14/2016 8:27:51 AM EDT
[#36]
Depending on what hours you work, that could be a easy commute. Easiest commute would be from olive branch or Southaven in Mississippi. If you look into moving to Mississippi, Desoto Central or Lewisburg schools are the "good" school where people are trying to get. There is a private school in Southaven if you do private, north point Christian school. Compared to Memphis and, Cordova, Germantown and Collierville taxes are less in Mississippi but our will have state income tax.
Link Posted: 1/14/2016 10:12:47 AM EDT
[#37]
We tried to find houses within a decent school district. We had 3 or so houses in Arlington but the agents didn't even bother to answer calls or return emails. We had to make a decision in the Millington area just south of the town. The school from I have been reading is decent. Not the best but decent.

I am good with commuting traffic...nature of living outside cities. I should be on a shift around 6am and out about 4pm or so.
Link Posted: 1/14/2016 10:20:35 AM EDT
[#38]
Traffic won't be an issue for you then.
Link Posted: 1/14/2016 10:46:56 AM EDT
[#39]
Congratulations. Millington is a quiet little town. Lots of retired .mil and naval brass plus support personnel. I live west of Millington about half way to State Park. You off Hwy 51 or Raleigh Millington?
Link Posted: 1/14/2016 11:04:47 AM EDT
[#40]
You had better DO THE SpEED LIMIT up there. They WILL nail your ass.

edit
Link Posted: 1/14/2016 11:07:03 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 1/14/2016 11:07:40 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 1/14/2016 12:05:01 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Congratulations. Millington is a quiet little town. Lots of retired .mil and naval brass plus support personnel. I live west of Millington about half way to State Park. You off Hwy 51 or Raleigh Millington?
View Quote

Thanks. We'll be right off Raleigh Millington
Link Posted: 1/14/2016 12:05:38 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Chris, you're not in... print... are you?
View Quote

Not sure what you mean.
Link Posted: 1/14/2016 12:06:39 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 1/14/2016 12:12:32 PM EDT
[#46]
Nope, I am in Maufacturing (Toolmaker/Machinist/CNC Machinist)
Link Posted: 1/14/2016 12:14:46 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 1/14/2016 4:05:39 PM EDT
[#48]
jeep450,

Hope all goes good tomorrow. Talk to you then.

Link Posted: 1/14/2016 8:53:45 PM EDT
[#49]
Some Yankee called me on the phone and asked me to go somewhere to collect some money in the morning.

Anybody free and want to fo and provide cover fire?

It may be a trap
Link Posted: 1/14/2016 9:41:56 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Some Yankee called me on the phone and asked me to go somewhere to collect some money in the morning.

Anybody free and want to fo and provide cover fire?

It may be a trap
View Quote

We ridin' dirty and rollin' deep?  
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top