Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 11/6/2014 1:12:31 PM EDT
I am seeking your input on potential places for relocation.

Criteria:

Maximum cost of house & a few acres of land $400,000.
One kid left, has to finish off high school.
Access within 40 minutes to a reasonably affluent client base who own fine residences and have discretionary income.
Prefer no HOA.
Conservative local gov't and PD, which are minimal and restrained, or at least realistically scaled to, and deferential to the community.
Decent range or shooting location within 30 minutes (?)

Choices:

Nashville area-

Nolensville
Fairview
White House

Knoxville area-
Maryville

Am I overlooking anywhere that I should really consider?

Thanks for your opinions and information.
Link Posted: 11/6/2014 2:42:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Based on your list, I'd say Nolensville. Keep in mind traffic is going to SUCK anywhere on I-65, in any direction, during rush hour. Fairview is nice, too.
Link Posted: 11/6/2014 3:02:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Based on your list, I'd say Nolensville. Keep in mind traffic is going to SUCK anywhere on I-65, in any direction, during rush hour. Fairview is nice, too.
View Quote

Same is true for I-24.

In order of worst to best (around Nashville):

I-65
I-24
I-40
Link Posted: 11/6/2014 4:45:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Where are you now and what do you provide for your "clients"?
Link Posted: 11/6/2014 10:10:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Don't forget southern middle Tennessee and our proximity to Huntsville Alabama. 400k will get you a NICE place around here!
Link Posted: 11/7/2014 12:46:39 AM EDT
[#5]
Ruled out Franklin?
Link Posted: 11/7/2014 1:11:33 AM EDT
[#6]
Clarksville
Link Posted: 11/7/2014 4:23:15 AM EDT
[#7]
Springhill
Link Posted: 11/7/2014 8:04:47 AM EDT
[#8]
Antioch.
Link Posted: 11/7/2014 11:07:11 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Antioch.
View Quote

Plenty of shooting opportunities there.
Link Posted: 11/7/2014 12:10:04 PM EDT
[#10]
so I am guessing no Memphis?
Link Posted: 11/7/2014 1:03:39 PM EDT
[#11]
Franklin has not beed ruled out, nor has Spring Hill. I had an impression (possibly an incorrect one) that Franklin was mostly suburban, a bit more crowded? I'm looking for that area that is on the outer fringe of country; where rural meets only small pockets of convenience, maybe half an hour to a mall etc.

Good points on the traffic. Last time I was in TN, I was only in eastern TN. I was talking with some great folks there, and a man was telling me how his son had moved from Knoxville to Nashville area, and came back because he simply could not tolerate the time he was wasting in traffic.

I need to take another, and much more detailed scouting mission of the region soon.

Thanks for the input, I appreciate all of it. Please keep it coming.
Link Posted: 11/7/2014 1:34:17 PM EDT
[#12]
If you're wanting to stay in the country, but close to rich folks, south of Franklin & Cool Springs sounds about right.  There are affluent people around the Maryville & W. Knox area, but they're all tight wads.
Link Posted: 11/9/2014 8:50:02 AM EDT
[#13]
Is there a substantial savings buying a house in Rutherford county versus Williamson county?

Which areas around Nolensville have the lowest city and county taxes?

Link Posted: 11/9/2014 12:02:08 PM EDT
[#14]
If you come to Knoxville area:  the areas south of John Sevier Hwy between Alcoa Hwy and Chapman Hwy towards the mtns are my favorite.

Link Posted: 11/9/2014 1:17:47 PM EDT
[#15]
I drive from the center of town (metro center) to the northern fringe of Nolensville area daily.

Morning commute (leave around 6:20 daily) is 20 min

Afternoon commute varies from 30 min to 50 min - average time over the past month is 38 min.
Link Posted: 11/9/2014 11:26:20 PM EDT
[#16]
Given your guidelines I would be looking within 10 miles north or south of the I-840 corridor from Lebanon to Dickson.

Link
Link Posted: 11/9/2014 11:42:50 PM EDT
[#17]
What about the west Knoxville area, Farragut for example?  Much less expensive than Nashville and the Oak  Ridge Sportsman Association range is fantastic.
Link Posted: 11/10/2014 12:26:21 AM EDT
[#18]
OP what business are you in? That might be the deciding factor in where you locate too. Folks kinda know what will float in their area.....
Link Posted: 11/10/2014 2:05:42 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Same is true for I-24.

I-440
I-65
I-24
I-40
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Same is true for I-24.

I-440
I-65
I-24
I-40

Fixed.  I loathe I-440.
Link Posted: 11/10/2014 6:56:14 PM EDT
[#20]
This isn't the first time I have heard about it, but your input confirms that the traffic issue is apparently something I have to consider seriously. I need to get back to the area and scope things out in more detail.

So, in the "cons" column are traffic and tornadoes.

The heat I can stand.

Quoted:
OP what business are you in?.
View Quote

Project management & design, residential.
Link Posted: 11/10/2014 7:48:10 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
What about the west Knoxville area, Farragut for example?  Much less expensive than Nashville and the Oak  Ridge Sportsman Association range is fantastic.
View Quote

Farragut is very nice and crime statistic wise, it is in the top 5 safest places to live.

Just recently visited family in that area.

Link Posted: 11/10/2014 11:40:28 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Ruled out Franklin?
View Quote

Franklin for the win
Link Posted: 11/11/2014 12:06:14 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:
OP what business are you in?.

You might like West Knox, Maryville area then.  Lots of residential and commercial builders around.  Commercial ranges from small (shopping centers) to medium/large (think UT Campus). Nothing larger than that, though.
Link Posted: 11/11/2014 12:15:28 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Farragut is very nice and crime statistic wise, it is in the top 5 safest places to live.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The place is nice, granted, but there's a stuffiness about the area mixed with tight-waddiness that just pisses me off.  It's not that lots of the people around there are rich, (I deal with real rich people in Atlanta), but I see lots of condescending attitudes.  *shrugs* maybe it's just me, but if I were to live in the area, I'd live in Maryville or Karns before I'd move to Farragut.  And Lord help me if I have to live anywhere near that 7th Circle of Hell that is called Turkey Creek....
Link Posted: 11/11/2014 6:29:11 PM EDT
[#25]
Maryville/Blount County crushes all of your criteria, so that gets my vote. I also live here.
Link Posted: 11/11/2014 6:30:38 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

The place is nice, granted, but there's a stuffiness about the area mixed with tight-waddiness that just pisses me off.  It's not that lots of the people around there are rich, (I deal with real rich people in Atlanta), but I see lots of condescending attitudes.  *shrugs* maybe it's just me, but if I were to live in the area, I'd live in Maryville or Karns before I'd move to Farragut.  And Lord help me if I have to live anywhere near that 7th Circle of Hell that is called Turkey Creek....
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

We call Farragut "Faggot" and it is a well-deserved nickname. Take that FWIW, OP
Link Posted: 11/11/2014 7:25:46 PM EDT
[#27]
We call Farragut "Faggot" and it is a well-deserved nickname. Take that FWIW, OP
View Quote

I'm not going to get in the middle of that discussion, but will watch it from a safe distance.

But I should mention that  particular feature is something I am specifically trying to avoid (for political reasons).

Just to weigh your perspective, have you ever been to Provincetown, San Francisco, or Key West?
Link Posted: 11/11/2014 7:39:05 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I'm not going to get in the middle of that discussion, but will watch it from a safe distance.

But I should mention that  particular feature is something I am specifically trying to avoid (for political reasons).

Just to weigh your perspective, have you ever been to Provincetown, San Francisco, or Key West?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

It has nothing to do with homos. At least in Maryville, they are few and far between. The joke is that people from Farragut are stuck up, so the F"arra"gut in the middle of the word blends together and sounds like one "a." Pinch your nose, say "Farragut" with a yuppie accent, and you'll see what I mean. It's all in good humor...mostly...

And for the record, I've never been to either of those 3 cities, nor do I have any desire to.
Link Posted: 11/11/2014 8:39:48 PM EDT
[#29]
Got it, thanks. Now I can put Farragut back on the possibilities list.
Link Posted: 11/11/2014 8:42:07 PM EDT
[#30]
pointman12,

Tell me what you like about Maryville.

And what do you dislike, if at all.

Thanks
Link Posted: 11/11/2014 10:11:04 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
pointman12,

Tell me what you like about Maryville.

And what do you dislike, if at all.

Thanks
View Quote

There really isn't anything I dislike, other than the fact that it is a city and I have to go outside city limits to shoot. Great schools (best in the state), several closeby lakes, several great churches, mountains are 30 minutes away, a ton of wildlife if you hunt, it isn't huge to the point of having heavy traffic but it's small enough to get to know a lot of people in the town, it's very conservative, and it's close to Knoxville in case you have the urge to go to a "real" city.
Link Posted: 11/11/2014 11:04:39 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Do you like gladiator movies?
Link Posted: 11/11/2014 11:57:33 PM EDT
[#33]
Stay the fu*k away from clarksville
Link Posted: 11/13/2014 12:29:23 AM EDT
[#34]
I'll plus one for maryville. There's a few ranges in blount county, along with a new one opening by april. If they don't tickle your fancy, ORSA is about 1h away and is an awesome place to shoot. Extremely conservative area, small enough to get to know people, big enough to have plenty to do. Lots and lots of public hunting land and lakes within 1h drive. Great schools, and you'd have to murder someone to get county cops to do anything. City cops aren't as relaxed, but I've never been pulled over for something I wasn't doing.

First post too, btw.
Link Posted: 11/13/2014 8:56:40 AM EDT
[#35]
Welcome, coltman151. Thanks for weighing-in on this question as your first post. I appreciate that. I'm a new visitor to the TN hometown forum myself, and would sure like to become a legitimate member.

The Nashville area versus the Knoxville area decision is a dilemma for us, so all input is helpful.
Link Posted: 11/13/2014 9:01:39 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I'll plus one for maryville. There's a few ranges in blount county, along with a new one opening by april. If they don't tickle your fancy, ORSA is about 1h away and is an awesome place to shoot. Extremely conservative area, small enough to get to know people, big enough to have plenty to do. Lots and lots of public hunting land and lakes within 1h drive. Great schools, and you'd have to murder someone to get county cops to do anything. City cops aren't as relaxed, but I've never been pulled over for something I wasn't doing.

First post too, btw.
View Quote

Agreed with everything you said.

Welcome to the site!!

Here's a few friendly recommendations to follow until you get well-acquainted with things:

1. Stay out of GD
2. Stay out of GD
3. Stay out of GD

Link Posted: 11/13/2014 9:02:04 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Welcome, coltman151. Thanks for weighing-in on this question as your first post. I appreciate that. I'm a new visitor to the TN hometown forum myself, and would sure like to become a legitimate member.

The Nashville area versus the Knoxville area decision is a dilemma for us, so all input is helpful.
View Quote

Mountains. 'nuff said.
Link Posted: 11/13/2014 1:51:34 PM EDT
[#38]
Thanks for the welcomes!
Link Posted: 11/30/2014 10:04:09 AM EDT
[#39]
Three years ago I was in your same dilemma - relocating from Florida and trying to decide between Nashville and Knoxville.  I'm a Florida native who really didn't want to leave Florida but my wife wanted to move back closer to her family.  I had a couple of good job offers around the Nashville area but we ended up buying a house with a couple of acres in Maryville.

We could not have made a better choice.  Maryville is a beautiful place to live, and everyone here has been great.  It has everything we need here, and it's a quick trip to Knoxville for everything else.  I'm located just a few minutes away from the start of the Dragon so we spend most weekends hanging around in the mountains.  Now I wish I would have made this move 20 years ago.

I also travel a lot for work so having a regional airport close by is another reason we choose Maryille.  McGhee Tyson is a good airport with a reasonable number of flights and it is super easy to get in and out of.      

Let me know if you have any questions about moving or living here.  These pictures were all taken within a 10-15 minute drive from my house.  

Link Posted: 11/30/2014 10:57:36 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote

One thing that is very different between the two is traffic.

Those of us in Knoxville have no idea how traffic can get until you visit Nashville or Atlanta. Seriously.
Link Posted: 12/1/2014 8:51:06 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Those of us in Knoxville have no idea how traffic can get until you visit Nashville or Atlanta. Seriously.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I live in Knoxville and travel between Atlanta and Nashville often.  Atlanta drivers are relatively safe, just drive a lot faster than most.  People living in or driving through Knoxville are complete dumbasses, changing multiple lanes without regard to others, driving recklessly, not letting others merge, etc.  I don't know if this has to do with the people or the way the interstates come together.  Nashville drivers can be close to the same as Knoxville, but they have the advantage of more lanes, except in a couple areas.

Mind, I never drive through either city during rush hour if I can help it.  Atlanta's rush hour is by far the worst and 9pm there will look like 5pm here.
Link Posted: 12/1/2014 4:15:38 PM EDT
[#42]
IM sent.
Link Posted: 12/1/2014 6:35:03 PM EDT
[#43]
How far from Knoxville/Maryville you have to go to shoot on your own property without getting complaints?
Link Posted: 12/1/2014 7:08:18 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
How far from Knoxville/Maryville you have to go to shoot on your own property without getting complaints?
View Quote

Depends on what you're shooting I guess.  It's pretty populated in this area.  Maryville might be a bit different.  Lots more land out there.
Link Posted: 12/1/2014 7:42:13 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View Quote

What will dictate that the most is the type of neighbors you have.
Link Posted: 12/1/2014 8:15:52 PM EDT
[#46]
Gatorcountry

That is exactly what i'm looking for! that's some beautiful scenery, looks like some fun hiking.

This thread has my interest because i'm moving to the same area next spring/summer.
Link Posted: 12/2/2014 9:39:20 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted: Let me know if you have any questions about moving or living here.  
View Quote

Thank you Gatorcountry, I might take you up on that kind offer.
Link Posted: 12/8/2014 10:27:38 PM EDT
[#48]
Another vote for the Blount County area.
I've lived here for almost 40 years and love it, went to school at Maryville High.
I've lived in the Louisville area for the last 26 years :)
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 4:16:35 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Springhill
View Quote

eww

that being said based on your criteria OP it would probably be a great fit
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 4:17:43 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Fixed.  I loathe I-440.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Same is true for I-24.

I-440
I-65
I-24
I-40

Fixed.  I loathe I-440.

yes 440 is the worst by a mile
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top